JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Spiritual Kingdom

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God?

The Kingdom of God is invisible to our eyes of flesh...It is a Spiritual Kingdom and can only be discerned/ experienced/ "seen" after one is born again, with the eyes of the Spirit of God.

Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not

No, not yet. I think Nicodemus was still seeking, but seeking he was! He was still looking in the traditional way for something he could see and touch, and wondered how one could enter a second time into his mothers womb to be born again. I've always thought of Nicodemus as a believer, because he was a true seeker.

Unlike the rich young ruler, Nicodemus was puzzled but did not reject what Jesus told him. Jesus pointed out to the rich young man what was keeping him from truly believing. He simply told Nicodemus how the Kingdom of God was entered, knowing that until after His death and resurrection it wouldn't make any more sense to him than to his Disciples....remember Peter saying "Lord this must not be!", when Jesus told them He was going to die and be raised again on the 3rd day? They just couldn't understand that He came to die but would rise again and enter into believers by His Holy Spirit.

In John 19:39 I love that it points out that Nicodemus who had first come to seek Jesus by night, came now (openly identifying with Jesus) bringing one hundred pounds of aromatic spices to prepare Jesus' body for burial. I've always thought of him as an example...bring my questions to Jesus himself when I need answers, as he did, expecting an answer. I've brought doubts to Jesus and the answers He gave are now some of the strongest areas of my faith. When I asked Him why He spoke in parables, He waited awhile until I'd forgotten I'd asked, then gave me a number of real life parables! Now I get it!!!! Parables are remembered because we think in pictures! Parables are easily remembered because they are "pictures"which illustrate a truth!

Can't you just hear Nicodemus witnessing to someone later on, and saying "Well, the wind blows where it wills; and though you hear its sound yet you neither know where it comes from nor where it is going. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit....I didn't understand either, until...." (John 3:8)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

In reply Jesus declared, 'I tell you the truth, no one can see6 the kingdom of God unless he is born again.'

4 'How can a man be born when he is old?' Nicodemus asked. 'Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!'

5 Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.'" (John 3:3-5)

That not just anyone will be able to enter the Kingdom of God, it is Spiritual, it lives in our hearts through the Holy Spirit and through the power of God to bring use into fellowship with His Son,Jesus. That it is not a place that can be seen but must come through belief that Jesus is who He says He is and willingness to follow Him. I don't think that He understood Jesus at first but must have came to believe in Him through the mircles that He did. His questions make me think he didn't understand and his responce to Jesus' answers.

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

The Kingdom of God can only be found or accessed through the Messiah, Jesus Christ, the Son of God. . .

I don't think that Nicodemus understood Jesus' reply to his question initially, however, with Jesus continuing to express this concept to him, it appears that he was able to grasp it. . . Jesus was giving him an invitation to come unto Him which would allow him a better understanding of the truths of God, just as He is doing for people today. It is up to us to accept this invitation and come into a greater knowledge of the truths of God. . .

B)

Q1 The nature of the Kingdom of God is a gift from God. We need to be born again of

water and spirit in order to inherit it. The Kingdom needs to be spiritually

discern until and unless God enables one to see it. It needs to be spiritually

entered, so one needs to be changed spiritually. One also need to believe and be

aided to search further for it.

Although Nicodemus believed and acknowledged that Jesus' miracles were from God, he

did not totally understood the Kingdom which Jesus was talking about. That is why he

came to Jesus at night to seek further clarification. He took it in the literal

sense.

What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Jesus tells us that the Kingdom of God is not of this world. It is not a visible kingdom but one which is spiritually discerned. It is also spiritually entered. We can only discern amd enter the Kingdom through the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit.

Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not? Nicodemus knew the facts as a strict observer of the law but he did not know the truths. He took Jesus's words literally and thought Jesus was talking about physical birth when Jesus was referring to a spiritual birth. Although Nicodemus respected Jesus as a teacher who came from God, he was still an unbeliever at that time and the parables of Jesus were hidden to unbelievers.

Jesus taught that the kingdom of God is a spirit place and that It is hidden from unbelievers and they are like Nichdemus They may see or hear and this will cause they to search for futher answers.

They search because they want to know more and they want to know the true

Answer:

Jesus is teaching about the Spirituality of the Kingdom of God.That it is not something Physical that we can identify with our Five Senses.

Jesus is also teaching the pre requisite in entering the Kingdom Of God,to be born again..in Spirit.

John 3:5-Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

At first I think Nicodemus misunderstand Jesus,but because He is really eager and thirsty to know the truth,He ask for clarification.:

John 3:4- Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

And Jesus further explains to Him,that being born again is not physical,but to be born again In SPIRIT.

John 3:6-7That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

We are a 3 part being,in 1 Thess 5:23- And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

When we are born in this world,that SPIRIT MAN part of us,is born in the Nature of Adams sinful nature,and is corrupted according to the image of God to which it was created.

Hence,that SPIRIT MAN,is dead and must be born again.

It is spiritual. It is spiritually discerned and spiritually entered.

I don't think Nicodemus understands. He had no ability to understand at this point. However I believe the Spirit was working in Him. We are slow to comprehend the things of the Spirit or anything for that matter.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God?

The Kingdom of God is invisible to our eyes of flesh...It is a Spiritual Kingdom and can only be discerned/ experienced/ "seen" after one is born again, with the eyes of the Spirit of God.

Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not

No, not yet. I think Nicodemus was still seeking, but seeking he was! He was still looking in the traditional way for something he could see and touch, and wondered how one could enter a second time into his mothers womb to be born again. I've always thought of Nicodemus as a believer, because he was a true seeker.

Unlike the rich young ruler, Nicodemus was puzzled but did not reject what Jesus told him. Jesus pointed out to the rich young man what was keeping him from truly believing. He simply told Nicodemus how the Kingdom of God was entered, knowing that until after His death and resurrection it wouldn't make any more sense to him than to his Disciples....remember Peter saying "Lord this must not be!", when Jesus told them He was going to die and be raised again on the 3rd day? They just couldn't understand that He came to die but would rise again and enter into believers by His Holy Spirit.

In John 19:39 I love that it points out that Nicodemus who had first come to seek Jesus by night, came now (openly identifying with Jesus) bringing one hundred pounds of aromatic spices to prepare Jesus' body for burial. I've always thought of him as an example...bring my questions to Jesus himself when I need answers, as he did, expecting an answer. I've brought doubts to Jesus and the answers He gave are now some of the strongest areas of my faith. When I asked Him why He spoke in parables, He waited awhile until I'd forgotten I'd asked, then gave me a number of real life parables! Now I get it!!!! Parables are remembered because we think in pictures! Parables are easily remembered because they are "pictures"which illustrate a truth!

Can't you just hear Nicodemus witnessing to someone later on, and saying "Well, the wind blows where it wills; and though you hear its sound yet you neither know where it comes from nor where it is going. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit....I didn't understand either, until...." (John 3:8)

Your answer was beautiful, free of condemnation, full of love, I was touched with the last part of your answer,--- yes, I can hear Nicodemus speaking the words that Jesus taught him, about the wind of the Holy Spirit, and where it blows, yes, I hear it as Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, I hear it as he wound it in the linen burial clothes of Jesus, yes, I hear the wind blow with the love Nicodemus openly displayed to Jesus, as he prepared him for burial,--- and I too am thankful that I heard the wind blowing my way, as I put on those white linen robes my Lord gave to me, and I openly wear them for the world to see where the wind does blow, over my heart.

The Kingdom is for repented believes, it is personal, it was not only for the Jews, but for all born anew believes. Nicodemus didn't understand, or he wouldn't have asked, how someone old can be born again. :rolleyes:

Jesus is teaching about his Assention and trying to tell them he is going away, but will leave them in good hands with the Comforter. Nicodemus had more of an idea, but no one could understand.

Jesus teaches two things about the spiritual nature of the Kingdom of God.

1. The Kingdom is spiritually discerned, that is, you can't see it or grasp it spiritually unless you are "born from above," unless God enables you to see it. God has to reveal it.

2. The Kingdom is spiritually entered, that is, you can't enter into the Kingdom, which is a synonym for inheriting eternal life, unless you are changed spiritually. A person has to be

Jesus teaches here that, the Kingdom of God can only be received if you have been born again. you have to be baptized with water and with the Holy Spirit and you have to stop sinning and follow Jesus and God, with true faith and knowledge, the major importance of these things, if you want to receive the Kingdom of God, is that without them you cannot be born again and will not receive the kingdom of God.

No I do not think that Nicodemus understands him, because he is thinking of the birth when a baby comes from the womb, not the spiritual birth, which can only be received through water, a symbol of the cleansing of the body and spirit and the Holy spirit is the gift that God gives us to dwell in us, so as to direct us to becoming Gods children by being our conscience.

the reason why he does not understand is because, he does not understand the Kingdom of God and he cannot see in a spiritual way because he is thinking of the earthly type of birth.

Jesus teaches here about the spiritual aspects of the Kingdom of God.

No, I don't think he did at first--asking the question about being reborn.

He was looking for a king on the earthly kingdom.

Nico does not understand which is perfectly understandable because Jesus seems to have jumped to the conclusion without explaining the process. We know that the water he is talking about is the water of baptism / repentance and that the spirit is the Holy Spirit but he has not explained this to Nico. Perhaps Jesus felt that Nico had heard enough on previous ocaisions or that being so steepted in the bible that he should know but we cannot really say.

There is a lesson for us in this that when we are talking about the Kingdom to others we should not assume that they have any prior knowledge. There are some for whom Jesus is only a mild swear word and who do not even realise that he was an historical figure.

As to the nature of the Kingdom it is spiritually perceived and not visible to the naked eye.

a) The nature of the Kingdom of God is sacrificial.

B) Nicodemus does not understand Jesus

He is saying that the Kingdom of God is a spiritually discerned kingdom. He is also teaching that there must be a spiritual rebirth for one to enter The Kingdom. One must turn around, away from their old life, and toward Jesus and the things of God in order to be admitted.

Nicodemus doesn't fully understand yet because he hasn't had it fully explained to him yet. Nicodemus is still stuck in the natural and Jesus has moved on to the spiritual.

What Jesus teaches about the Kingdom of God is that,first it must be spiritually discerned. One can't see or grasp it unless God enables one to see the Kingdom. Secondly,Jesus taught that the Kingdom of God can only be entered spiritually. One can't enter unless they have been spiritually changed. Only by accepting Christ as Savior can someone spiritually discern and spiritually enter the Kingdom of God.

I believe that at the time Nicodemus didn't really understand this. He asks Jesus how he can be born again when he is old. Nicodemus was thinking about physical birth from the womb. Jesus was referring to being born again spiritually.

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Joh 3:4 Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Nicodemus expects the coming messiah to come with pomp and circumstance but Jesus tells him that he can have no benefit by that change of the state, unless there be a change of the spirit, of the principles and dispositions, equivalent to a new birth. Jesus also is teaching that we can not see the Kingdom of Heaven unless God shows it to us. This would be cause for alarm to the jewish because till this time they were God's chosen and believed that they had every right to the kingdom. Also Jesus is telling him that the Kingdom can't be enter unless you are spiritually changed...a new life...a new birth.

I dont believe Nicodemus would understand him. Until this time the Jews especially the religious leaders believed that they had the kingdom right at hand ...they did not understand that there was nothing they could do themselves...no amount of sacrifices could clean them enough to enter the kingdom...they believed that it was their right. The messiah was coming to free them from others not from sin itself is what was believed

What Jesus teaches first it must be spiritually discerned. One can't see it unless God enables one to see the Kingdom

Kingdom can't be enter unless you are spiritually changed new life and born again and baptised with water and the Spirit

Nicodemus did not understans or he would not have answered Jesus thinking how he would have to enter his mother's womb again

(John 3:4 Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?")

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? We can not let our religious up-bringing obscure our thoughts about the kingdom. The kingdom is nothing like humanity thinks. It can not be; because flesh and blood can not enter. We need to be of a spiritual nature to see it, much less live in it. The natural state which we live in now is flesh and blood and these bodies must die, just as Yahushua did, before we can be resurrected and receive our eternal spiritual bodies.

Do you think Nicodemus understands him? This was something new to his ears. No matter how much Scripture he had put to memory, this was still something new. Nicodemus had questions. He wanted to know how this could be. There must be a change from nature to grace, before there can be a change from grace to glory and Nicodemus needed to know that this was how he would be able to then see the kingdom. To then understand the invaluable blessings, Nicodemus needed this information, to be able to understand the first and most important miracle of all. The re-birth of a human man.

Why or why not? I dont think he understood right then because he was accustom to the sacrificial way of preparing himself for the entrance to the Holy of Holies. I am not sure he was even aware that there was only One way because He had not yet met The One whom he would have to go through, until this very night. I think he did come to the understanding knowledge because he eventually helps Joseph of Arimathea in Jesus' burial. I dont believe that he would have done this and been of assistance if a change had not come over him. I think this night, the truth had been revealed to Nicodemus.

Jesus teaches that in order to see the Kingdom of God one must be born again/anew. Must worship in spirit and truth. A person's spiritual eyes must be opened by God. God's Holy Spirit identifying with a person's spirit. A spiritual change must take place within the person. The nature of the Kingdom is spiritual. It must be entered and discerned spiritually.

I think when Nicodemus initially enters the conversation with Jesus he didn't understand him regarding spiritual rebirth. For clarification, he did ask the question about how can one return to their mother's womb. However, I think Jesus enlightens him during this conversation. I think Jesus chose to reveal the truth to Nicodemus and he accepted it. John does not say he walked away sad or with sorrow like the rich young ruler. He doesn't walk away confused or in any kind of denial. I believe Nicodemus' later actions reflect his faith in Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

He teaches that the kingdom is spiritually discerned and one must be born of water and of the Spirit to enter in. No, Nicodemus did not understand Him, because he was trying to understand it in the natural.