JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Moses Responds to God's Call

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Moses was down right afraid, not only to go to Pharoah but remembering the circumstances why he left in the first place, coupled with a burning bush that wasn't consumed and 'the bush' calling his name and being told it was the God of Abraham, the God of Issac and the God of Jacob, he was most likely awe stricken. Questioning God shows me that he was hesitant and wanted to start a debate. God reassures Moses by telling him that He will be with him. Moses still tried to debate but God has no part in it. God knows what He wants to accomplish and He will accomplish it.

In my own life I haveheard that still, small voice say "Trust Me",

1) Does Moses' response to God's call reflect a low self image, true humility or lack of faith?

1) I think all three are present in Moses. While in Egypt he was educated and lived a life of luxury and had the best of things. By killing the Egyptian he showed that he was a patriot to his people. Moses action was spontaneous and decisive. He had a sense of pride by taking the matter into his own hands. The only thing wrong was his approach and timing. He still had a lot to learn. It has been said that pride comes before the fall. This change would come as his step down from a higher standard in his life style when he became a shepherd. God had a plain for Moses and what better way to start than an on the job training program by becoming a Shepherd of his father in-laws sheep.The sheep would have to become acquainted with Moses. The sheep would come to recognize his voice and trust in his protection as time went on. God was changing Moses character for a far greater call than a shepherd over sheep. He just had to gain self confidence in himself and learn to place his trust in God. One must learn to crawl before he walks so this was the task at hand- the learning process that by a daily experience with God by his side he would eventually learn to trust that God would be by his side through it all and a close relationship would emerge.

2) How does God reassure him?

2) By telling him that he would be with my and teach him what to say.

3) How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situation ?

3)By the presence of the Holy Spirit the Comforter which directs us in power and not that of fear. We can truly do all thing in Christ who strengthens us and this is without a spirit of fear.

The sixth commandment is "Thou shall not kill."1 Atheists claim that God violated His own commandment in ordering the destruction of entire cities, just to allow the Jews to have a homeland in the Middle East. The Bible confirms that God ordered the killing of thousands of people. Isn't this an open and shut case for the hypocrisy of the God of the Bible? (The dark Bible) Hence this is a very danger question! Food for the Atheists.

I am using your Answer on this, because in all my Theology and Bible Study I have never found the right answer to this questing.

Moses had experienced a kind of brokenness. As a prince of Egypt he operated with a sense of entitlement and arrogance because of both his place in the ruling class of society and his superior education. But 40 years before he had fled from Egypt as a common criminal. Now he was a lowly shepherd at age 80, watching flocks that were not even his own. "Who am I?" asks Moses.

When God calls a sinner, He does not repent of it. God does not, as many friends do,

But his question also betrays a lack of faith. He assumes that he must carry out this task by himself. Nothing could be farther from the truth. God says to him, "I will be with you" (Exodus 3:12a). This profound promise from God has encouraged God's people throughout the ages.47 If we can believe that God is with us, on the basis of that faith, we can do anything God asks of us. Nothing will be impossible to us!

Pax

Q4 Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? How are we to deal with fear when we feel it? What is the relationship of fear to courage? Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?

I have to use John for this reply

John 14:23-24 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

Be careful of those who claim to love the Lord when they do not obey His Word. It is one thing if they are shown that they are disobeying the Lord and they repent. But false teachers almost never repent. They believe they are above repentance. One thing I have learned about false teachers. They claim to love the Lord but when they are confronted with their false teaching and false prophecies they lie. This is the mark of an unregenerate person. It is worthy to note that John begins to lay out a fact that has been forgotten today in the churches and which is elaborated by Paul. If a person is a clear false teacher and has been confronted with their false teaching and does not repent of it, we are no longer to listen to that person.

Pax

I don't believe Moses' response to God's Call was true humility. I think he was very broken, and had a combination of low self esteem and lack of faith. I believe true humility is seen when someone has confidence in their relationship with the Lord, understands and embraces their identity in Him but chooses to put others first as they wait for the Lord to exalt them.

God reassures Moses by promising to be with him and also by providing him with a sign.

God reassures us when we are called to impossible situations through giving us an anointing to get the job done, by providing us a multitude of counselors, by providing us an assistant if necessary. When we take the time to be Still and Know He is God, we can Hear His Voice. We must choose to listen and accept His provision (both seen and unseen), then carry out what He has called us to do.

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses’ response to God’s call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith? How does God reassure him? How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations?

Moses must have been feeling many things: Many years prior he acted as a rescuer for the Israelies (killing an Egyptian) but they questioned him, somewhat mocked him and he was afraid. Then when Pharaoh wanted to kill him he ran...fled...he knew he had acted wrongfully...yet he knew he had good intentions. He wanted to write the wrongs that were inflicted against the Israelites. Moses must have felt humbled when his plan did not accomplish what he had hoped. Moses might have had low self image as well...raised in royalty like he was an Egyptian yet he wasn't really one of them. And, even though he was Hebrew the Hebrews rejected him also. He probably felt like a misfit...like there was no place for him. I can understand him running.

God reasures him by stating, "I WILL BE WITH YOU", and by clearing spelling out his requests. He tells Moses exactly what he wants and what Moses is to say and do. God reassures us in similar was: He say's he'll always be with us and will never leave us, and he's given us his word as a lamp under our feet. We have "direction" even when we don't fully know the details of his plan.

To me i will say Moses saw his emptiness by indicating that who am i, just like Isaiah declared am a man of unclean lips Isaiah 6 vs 5. This shows humility because for God to fill a man the man must first empty himself i.e. pull off self. Moses also notice humans are very difficult to control they may be some Thomas who may doubt his authority,but God assured him i will be with you.

I think his response to God indicates his humility, not necessarily lack of faith. He feels to be a wrongdoer who killed a person and he is just a shepherd. Thus he feels that he does not deserve such a responsibility.

God reassured him by telling him that He will be with him.

God reassures us the same way: He will be with us.

I think that any human would have been overwhelmed by the idea of going up against the power of the Egyptian pharaoh. We look at these events through 21st century eyes. Through our faith, and the many great acts that God has performed individually, communally and worldwide Moses has such an intimate relationship, that God was willing to reassure and comfort him, so that he would proceed. I wish that I had the faith Moses had. He gave himself over completely to God, and had conversation with the Almighty for decades. Once he took on the task, he saw it through. He did have a mentor in Jethro, his father in law. Jethro later advises Moses on how to administer justice during the exodus. They undoubtedly had many great conversations of faith in the forty years in Midian.

God 's call with the strange phenomenon might have caused him some oddity, discernment and of course with his some level of lack of faith. Moses became the most humble person on earth after the 40-year time of being a shepherd at Midian could have taught him of the difficulties,social concerns and the truth of life in the same time with his inner spiritual formation to be ready to become the great leader of Israel. God's assurance of saying " I will be with you " through ages, was not only for Moses but also to all of us. We could be encouraged to start working on our mission/s with our own little faith and good will, with our friends' helps,recommendation and/or spiritual support.