JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Moses Responds to God's Call

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Yes Moses' response reflects a self-doubt, low esteem image because of his status as a sheperd at that particular moment. It is lack of faith as well because God had spoken to him and should have believed in Him. God reassured Moses by telling him that He will be with him,and this notion has always reassured everyone else that when God is with you nothing is impossible.

I would say Moses probably had a low self-image. Going from being a member of Pharoah's household to an exiled in the wilderness tending his father-in-law's sheep, probably didn't help Moses' opinion of himself any.

God reassures Moses by letting Moses know He will always be with him.

God often reassures us through His Word and other believers.

True humility is when you have a good image of yourself, but even though know that you're nothing compared to G-d.

A good example is the apostle Paul.

Moses just has a negative image of himself.

He also has a lack of faith, like if even G-d can not make him do something right.

G-d can reassure us by sending us help.

He doesn't take the task away, but makes it easier.

I don't it's a lack of faith but an immature faith. This is the first time Moses has been exposed to this kind of call and doesn't know how to handle it. God reassures him by letting him know he is not alone. God reassures the same way He did with Moses, through voice and sight, although I'm not sure I'll see any burning bushes.

I agree. Moses, though he identified with the Hebrews, did not have a life among believers. After he committed murder, he fled and was welcomed into Jethro's home and family. It is not happenstance that Moses went from great power to lowly, humbling work. God would need Moses to have a more willing heart for what he was preparing him to do. It was not a low self esteem or lack of faith, rather an immature faith that questioned God. Moses would learn that he would be able to do all things through Him who strengthens us. I can learn the same thing.

I agree. Moses, though he identified with the Hebrews, did not have a life among believers. After he committed murder, he fled and was welcomed into Jethro's home and family. It is not happenstance that Moses went from great power to lowly, humbling work. God would need Moses to have a more willing heart for what he was preparing him to do. It was not a low self esteem or lack of faith, rather an immature faith that questioned God. Moses would learn that he would be able to do all things through Him who strengthens us. I can learn the same thing.

Moses response to God's directive showed that Moses exhibitted both humility and some aspects of lack of faith. God however assured him that He would be with Him. And He was with Moses as we know from the story.

The assurance that the Omnipresent God is with us and will always be with us(Emmanuel= God with us; Jehover Shamer= I will be there[with you]) gives me confidence whenever I am afraid or whem my faith is wavering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Moses’ response to God’s call was most likely a combination of low self-image, true humility, and a lack of faith in Yahweh. He had certainly been humbled in his fall from a degree of royalty to the position of shepherd, and his self-worth had surely taken a hit. He had no position or influence with His "own people". His reputation with Pharaoh was that of a disloyal murderer on the lam. And in all these years, only now was he in an up-close encounter with the God of the Hebrews, so his faith in this God had not been truly personal.

Yahweh assured Moses by promising to be with him in the task of going to Pharaoh and leading the children of Israel out of Egypt. And, while Moses was completely unsure of his ability to do such a thing, Yahweh promised to be with him and gave him the guarantee that Moses and the Israelites would be brought to that very mountain of encounter to serve God there.

God assures us in much the same way when He calls us to impossible situations. He gives the promises that He will be with us in the task, that He will accomplish what He has purposed, and that obedience will bring deliverance/provision.