JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Compromising

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Why didn’t Moses accept Pharaoh’s compromises?

Moses's task was to lead Israel out of Egypt. Any compromise on that mission would have doomed it to failure.

In what instances should church leaders accept compromise?

In our culture it's highly unlikely that anything of the magnitude of Moses's mission would likely come up. More likely the dispute would be over what to do with the building fund money or something related to the day to day running of the parish. Having said that, I'll relate a conflict that happened in 1990 - 1992. We'd called a new senior pastor after having had interim pastors for two years following the departure of our highly regarded and Spiritually gifted former senior pastor. After two years the eldership got kind of desperate and called the wrong man. The new pastor, almost immediately after he was comfortably "in", started to preach along the lines of everyone at Church wasn't right with God and the church needed "Revival". Nothing could have been further from the truth. After two years the membership had declined a bit, however those still there were fully committed Christians with a real heart for God. The pastor in effect preached the same sermon for two years, consistently referring to the mighty rushing wind that would bring the Holy Spirit into our midst with power! One windy day the front doors were blown wide open and I thought the guy would leap into the air! His face fell though when they simply returned to the shut position. It was just the wind, ha ha ha! Anyway, there are many people whom I call "floaters" who have no permanent church. These people keep their ear to the ground and if any Baptist Church looks like it may go over to the Pentecostal side from the Reformed side (where most Baptist Churches in Australia stand) they start going there, join the membership, get elected as deacons and side with the Pentecostal-leaning pastor to try and bring that change to pass. That has split so many congregations over the years, including the one where I worshiped. I'd been attending Spiritual growth classes held by the assistant pastor and became aware of his dodgy doctrine. I did the right thing and approached him privately on the matter and got told to mind my own business. I led my family out of the building mid-service the following Sunday morning. My little three year old daughter said. "But Daddy, Church isn't finished yet". Everyone was looking at us so I yelled, "This Church is finished as long as that HERETIC is in the pulpit!!" About nine months later the senior pastor, preaching to a half full crowd (all that were left), quit mid-sermon. He was turning the page in his notes and just gave up!

The next church I attended was pastored by an old acquaintance of mine whom I knew to be straight down the line doctrinally. After I'd been there a few years, a paedophile who'd been preying on the boys in the youth groups of Baptist churches for years was finally exposed at our church after a boy finked him out to the leadership. The guy wouldn't acknowledge that he was doing anything wrong and insisted that homosexuality is OK. . . (WHAT??) The pastor wanted to kick him out, as prescribed in 2Corinthians but some of the membership wanted to try and counsel him unto repentance. The pastor wouldn't compromise, since the Word of God says to expel the evil man from your group. The membership had their way and the pastor had to leave. The next guy they got turned the church into a kind of "business" and there was virtually no warmth or feeling of welcome there any more.

Perhaps a sort of compromise would have saved the above situations from getting as out of control as they did.

In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

Sometimes you just get stubborn people. They get off on being stubborn and like the reputation they've garnered for being like that. Two prominent families in a church I attended in 1982 didn't want to admit to membership a husband and wife because the man had been divorced . . . years before he'd become a Christian, mind you. The pastor asked me my opinion and I said that if God can forgive any sin, why can't these two families? They were stubborn to the point of complete exasperation and the pastor didn't want to have them so off-side with his ministry so he had to accept all sorts of conditions set by the fathers in these two families. Here's what happened in the long run: The father in one family, who was always stubbornly against everything ever put forward at the members meetings, died of a mystery illness that struck him down and killed him in a matter of days. The second family . . . the one that preached so vehemently against the immorality of a divorced man re-marrying, had a snooty daughter who ended up having a baby out of wedlock! I believe that in both cases they came under God's judgment. You never heard a peep out of them after that.

Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromises?

Because the compromises were not in compliance with what God had commanded.

In what instances should church leaders accept compromise?

When the decision is not in conflict with the Will of God. " Leaders must do what needs to be done to achieve the greater purpose." Instances in this likeness I believe are acceptable. For an example, the church needs a new marquee, the Pastor / Priest / Elder has differing ideas than the Church Board a compromise may be acceptable to accommodate an acceptable marquee.

In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

When God has clearly told us what we must do, when doing something that is contrary to His Will, not doing so would make it wrong to compromise. When a church leader misuses what God has said to satisfy the will of the flesh it is wrong to compromise.

Q3. Why didn’t Moses accept Pharaoh’s compromises? In what instances should church leaders accept compromise? In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

Moses was given a mandate from God Almighty, he did not have the authority to compromise. Compromises may be made when it does not compromise the word of God or a Mandate. Jesus stepped out from the law many times, but he stayed true to the ultimate vision and directive of God. It would be wrong to compromise any dictate straight from God. A Word from the Lord must be followed through with out diversion. :rolleyes:

Moses did not accept Pharaoh's compromises as he was faithful and obedient to the intsruction of God; the comprimises were not in line with what od wanted Moses to do.

The Church leaders can accept comprimises when it is in the interest of the church and do not go against the wish of God.

It is wrong for church leaders to comprimise when such comprimise goes against the instruction of God.

Q3.Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromises? In what instances should church leaders accept compromise? In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

Before Moses put his life on the line, God confirmed to Moses that He would be doing His will. When other Israelites questioned who Moses was, that he would tell them what was right, the signs of Moses would persuade them that he was genuinely called. When Moses felt the heat of Pharaoh

Q3. Why didn

Moses didn't accept Pharoah's compromises because because he had faith that God would deliver the entire Hebrew population along with their livestock.

Church leaders should accept compromise in instances that would help move the church forward.

It is wrong for church leaders to compromise when it is out of God's will.

After a long while of dealing with Pharaoh, Moses did not compromise for he learned and knew more tactics and obtained more Blessing from God,with stronger faith and repeated confirmed signs; he, with the strong background to free Israelites from Egypt's tyranny, knew for sure that God is with them, therefore, he just became more decisive.

Any church leader should in general not compromise to anyone or anything at all especially the ones opposite to God's Will, His Words, His Commandments and lastly, anything against the Holy Love to our brethren. Only few and rare cases which church leaders could compromise, I suppose, should be things that concern only our world affairs which are not against any moral or virtue.

Q3. Why didnt Moses accept Pharaohs compromises? In what instances should church leaders accept compromise? In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

1) Moses did not accept Pharaoh's compromises because he was obeying God and committed to do His will.

2) A church leader should accept compromises when it is not against God's will and to keep the church moving forward.

3) It is wrong for a church leader to compromise when it is against God's will and they have clearly been shown what to do.

Moses did not accept Pharaoh's compromises because Moses knew what God wanted and had to obey it. Church leaders should accepta compromise in a situation where they do not have all the required necessities to move the church forward. It is, however, wrong for church leaders to compromise in a situation where God has clearly told them what they must do because God would not tell you to do something without sponsoring the whole affair.