JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Compromising

Moses did not accept a compromise from Pharaoh because he was determined to obey the most high God. I do not think christianleaders shoud compromise in the church.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MOSES WOULD HAVE BEEN DISOBIENT TO GOD. LEADERS SHOULD NEVER COMPROMISE. I THINK THEY SHOULD STAND UP AND FACE THE FACTS AND TAKE CARE OF THE SITUATION. NEVER RIGHT TO COMPROMISE.THATS IS LIKE ASKING GOD (YOU DO THIS FOR ME AND I WILL DO THIS FOR YOU).NEVER

• 2 weeks later...

Moses didn’t accept Pharaoh’s attempts to compromise because he was committed to specific and explicit directions and promises from Yahweh.

When a foundational principle of truth or a clear directive from God is at stake, a church leader must not compromise. If that is not the issue, then details, methods, and preferences can be negotiated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromises?

Moses has clear "face-to-face" order from God what to tell Pharaoh - any compromise in this would deliberately bring Moses outside of God's will.

On the other hand it is it is interesting to see Moses to give Pharaoh several times the benefit of the doubt - Pharaoh promised to let people go, Moses prayed to take away the plague and then Pharaoh took his word back.

Would not it be "natural" (after the first bad experience) to revert the order - first let people go and then I will pray to end the plague? Can this be considered a compromise?

As for today In what instances should/should not church leaders accept compromise?

It is also too easy to say that church leader should not compromise on issues that would go against the word of God. In history the church divided many times on issues that seem to me unimportant but I believe that the people at that time considered them to be a clear order from God (women covering head, baptism of the spirit, ...) that cannot be compromised.

Also, Jesus compromised on issues that leaders of that time considered to be clearly forbidden by God, like touching leppers, meeting sinners, working on Sabath, ...

So I think it is always important to consider also guidance of the Holly Spirit and if there is not any other "higher law" that gives basis for compromise on things that seem to be clear God's orders (e.g. loving ones neighbour, passion more that sacrifices, love more than faith and knowledge, unity ...).

• 3 months later...

3a)Moses didn’t accept pharaoh’s compromises they provided less than Moses demanded.He doesn’t have the authority to compromise onGod’s command.Only through this total obedience will God bring about the impossible,total destruction of Egyptian army.

B)Ch leaders should compromise for purpose of unity of church(as long as not running contrary to God’s will, Word, characher) e.g as a way of keeping ch from stalemate and to accomplish business that must happen to move church forward.

C)It is wrong to compromise when God has clearly told us what we must do.We must be faithful to God’s Word to us.If faithful we receive the promised reward.Hebrews 10:35Moses persevered because he trusted God he saw Him who was invisible hebrews11:27

• 1 month later...

Q3. Why didn�t Moses accept Pharaoh�s compromises? NO AUTHORITY--NO DESIRE.

In what instances should church leaders accept compromise? WHEN IT IS APPARENT THAT THERE IS REASON TO CONSIDER MULTIPLE POINTS OF VIEW AND INTEREST THAT DO NOT COMPROMISE THE GENERAL ORDER OF THE CHURCH.

In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise? WHEN THE INTEGRITY OF THE LEADER AND/OR THE CHURCH IS CHALLENGED.

• 1 year later...

Q3. Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromises? In what instances should church leaders accept compromise? In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

Moses' instructions for dealing with Pharaoh came from God. Every compromise of Pharaoh was shortcoming of what God demanded.

The word of God should never be compromised. Church leaders sometimes compromise for gain...sometimes for glory, sometimes for fame. Everything a church leader does must glorify the Lord. A compromise is okay when it does not interfere with what God is revealing to the leader.  

Q3. Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromises? In what instances should church leaders accept compromise? In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

Moses' instructions for dealing with Pharaoh came from God. Every compromise of Pharaoh was shortcoming of what God demanded.

The word of God should never be compromised. Church leaders sometimes compromise for gain...sometimes for glory, sometimes for fame. Everything a church leader does must glorify the Lord. A compromise is okay when it does not interfere with what God is revealing to the leader.  

• 10 months later...

Q3. Why didn�t M oses accept Pharaoh�s compromises? In what instances should church leaders accept compromise? In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

Moses didn't accept Pharoah's compromises because by this time God had gotten his attention and Moses had moved past the blaming point into obedience to God. Moses knew what God wanted him to do and he was going to be obedient in that. Church leaders should accept compromise when it betters the church and does not go against what God has said. There should be no compromise when you have received a clear mandate from God and the people need instruction in that, not a comfort zone in their pews or personal lives.

• 2 years later...

lesson 2

Q3

Answer:

1. Moses didn't accept pharaohs compromise because what pharaoh was negotiating was far less than what God demand.

2. A church leader could reach a compromise only when it's in the greater good of the church

3. When God has given specific commands or instruction a church leader must not compromise

• 1 year later...

Moses was there to do the will of God. God said let my people go, not, can we compromise??. There is no compromise when it comes to doing the will of God.  It is his way or no way!  We should never compromise when it comes to the spiritual things of God.  There is a difference between doing man's will and God's will.  Compromises can be made with doing man's will or what man wants to do, but man can not compromise the will of God.  We need to know the difference and make sure that we are doing the will of God in all things.. His word never changes and his will is to be obeyed,  there is no compromise.

• 4 years later...

Q3. Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromises?

In what instances should church leaders accept compromise?

In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

Moses did not accept pharaoh's compromise because that was not what God had told him to do. He was sold out to following God's leadership, nothing else.

• 1 year later...

What astounds me in this biblical story is Moses' unwavering confidence that he had heard God correctly. Without such a confidence, Moses surely would have waffled as he was not a strong and determined person willing to sacrifice his own life for his own beliefs. Moses, in my opinion, had a rather weak character, but his weakness was mitigated by his absolute confidence he had heard God's voice and understood what God was telling him to do.

Such confidence! I pray to be like this. So far, I have never felt this confident that I had heard God's voice. I often wonder if it was my voice, or partly my voice, or even if I had misconstrued His voice. I think Moses' confidence was due to the undeniable clarity of God's revelation.

Because of God's clear revelation, Moses had the strength to resist compromise. Without this revelation, Moses would have folded ... quickly.

Church leaders can only respond like Moses if the revelation is crystal clear, if there is no doubt that God wills a particular action. Otherwise, compromise should be considered as this is now human-to-human diplomacy.

Whatever we, as Christians, desire to do is no more than human emotion and reason unless it's given the imprimatur of God's voice. We should never, even as leaders, discount, demean or overrule the emotions/reasoning of other Christians without, at a minimum, seriously considering compromise.