JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Moses' Prayer of Frustration

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15) Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer? What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point? Does he have any grounds for his complaints? Do you think this is designed to be a model prayer? Why are we shown this prayer? How did God answer him?

moses couldn't get that he would be soley in charge of six hundred thousand people. There fore the Lord God told him to chose 70 elders to help take the burden of these people off Moses.God was also to put the spirit upon them that Moses shared. The people demanded meat. So God was now preparing to give the people meat for 30 days until such time it would come out their ears (so to speak). Even Moses doubted that this was possible.The Lord said to Moses "Is the Lord's arm too short? You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you. Again, Moses needed to see as well that Our God is Mighty and Powerful, then for the Israelites and now for us. The next day and night,it rained down quail. The people gathered and consumed it with no respect for the Lord. God struck them with a severe plague. Here lies the people who craved other food.

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15) Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer? What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point? Does he have any grounds for his complaints? Do you think this is designed to be a model prayer? Why are we shown this prayer? How did God answer him?

Moses is frustrated because:

a. he can't provide the food

b. he can't handle the people

He must be tired, both emotionally and physically.

Ofcourse he feels stressed, perhaps with a big headache.

Well, Moses has grounds, but he utters them the wrong way.

He shouldn't have complained, but asked the Lord in a more trusting way.

This can't be a model prayer.

We're just shown that God always listens, but gets angry when we're rude.

God did give Moses the things the people needed!

Better: Lord, thanks for bringing us out of Egypt. This shows how powerfull you are. However, the people are complaining again. Please send me some help to handle them! Please give them meat, so they can see that you provide, so they can really trust you.

Answering to Q. 1:Moses is so frustated for he is annoyed by the complaints of the Israelites which never have enough faith in God who always looks after them quite properly and well.

This is the result of weaknesses of human beings. Since Moses cannot get away from this reason for he leads the Israelites for quite a period of hard times, he as the mediator between God and the Israelites is naturally exhausted and prone to fall as preys to both the emotional and physical endurance and perseverance.

I do not think Moses personally wants to file complaints to God who has supported him all the times but as a leader of people who do not understand the situations and lack of faith, he has to bring up those cryings to God anyhow.

No,I do not think so. To me the good prayer should first thank and praise God, confirming with Him to accomplish His plans or works He wants one to fulfill, then asking Him what one needs from Him, especially to plead for the strength and ability to execute the works or plans HE wants one to do.

I suppose we are shown this prayer that we should learn from this prayer and adapt or say any prayers more properly.

God shows His kindness to Moses once more by telling him to choose 70 elders to assist him about his works and also God taunts them by giving them the meat, much much more than they want or need.

I think that Moses is so frustrated in his prayer because he had heard these people complaining for days and there was nothing that he could do about it. The people were grinding him down and so he was spent emotionally and physically at this point.

Moses probably didn

He is becoming over whelmed with the people. He can't please everyone, he isn't God yet they complain to him as though he were. He is becoming tired of the bickering and complaining. He should know that all needs to do is go to God and God will help but he becomes angry and troubled with God. He has grounds but with the people not God, God has provided at every step and will not fail if he would only remain faithful. No, only to shows us that God is a loving God who will deal fairly with us even in our anger.He provided meat for the people, He told Moses He would give them meat for a month.

Moses is so frustrated in his prayer because of all the people complainting about not have meat to eat.

At this point I think that Moses have to much work on his shoulder he need some help from the elder that was choosen to help with the leadership.

yes and no, while the people was complaint Moses forgot that God have power to give them meat he had done it before.When you are in leadership the person also need someone to go to with there complaints and Moses went to God with so leadership they forget and goes to people and that cause more of a problem.

I think it is design to be a model prayer because God is let us know that we can come to him with anything.He anwser himby saying do you think my arm are short.

Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer?

Moses' assumptions were to see God in his shoes always without struggling to tell Him about the needs of His people. He thought God had left him alone with all the burdens of His people. The murmuring of this people is driving him into crazy in a way that instead of praying to God for a solution he presents himself in a way of complaining.

What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point?

Emotionally Moses is very hungry with God for allowing him to undergo all those problems alone and also discouraged to a point of quitting. He feels worn out by the whole experience.

Does he have any grounds for his complaints?

Yes. In the human capacity Moses has the right to complain because he wonders where is this God who did all the wonders before and now is as though He is nowhere to be seen.

Do you think this is designed to be a model prayer?

No. In the book of Philippians 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests by made known unto Go". Therefore we need not to grumble of anything but to tell it all to God.

Why are we shown this prayer?

Probably to be cautious on how to present ourselves before God.In the book of Psalms we read that God is all knowing, all seeing and all understanding so what He requires from us is just to tell Him what we want.

How did God answer him?

God's answer to Moses is from Numbers 11:23 "Is the Lord's hand too short". This can be translated to mean that nothing is too big to our God.

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15) Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer? What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point? Does he have any grounds for his complaints? Do you think this is designed to be a model prayer? Why are we shown this prayer? How did God answer him? Moses does *****, gripe, whine and complain to God and isn't killed - yet. Do you think God would hold a grudge and deny, His main man, Moses, The Promised Land? Yep!

Moses said to God: Why are you treating me so badly? Don't you like me anymore? Why do you place such a burden on me? Was I the woman who was pregnant with this nation in my belly? Did I give birth to them? Where can I get enough meat to give all these people? I can't be responsible for this entire nation. It's too hard for me. If you are going to do this to me, do me a favour and kill me.

However, God did give Moses the strength to carry the burden. God also made him bring forth the water of the Spirit from the rock

It is most probably because he is tired of leading Israel and allowed himself to be blinded to God's plan and purpose for His people. Moses was at the point of emotional and physical exhaustion. In the natural of course there would be grounds for complaints - the Israelites were so demanding and ungrateful. They kept wanting and asking for more and more. in some ways, Moses' prayer could be a model prayer - when we are weak, He is strong, when we cannot He can. On the other hand, the prayer also shows us how not to pray - we cannot blame God for everything. God answered Moses by putting some of his Spirit on 70 of Israel's elders in order to help Moses manage/judge Israel and God gave Israel what they wanted - meat.

Moses is frustrated in his prayer because the burden of leadership has become too heavy for him and he knows he is unable to supply the demands of the people.

The people's demands are probably draining Moses emotionally and physically. He is more or less carrying the burden of leadership by himself.

This is not a designed to be a model prayer because Moses was complaining to God,basically blaming Him for what was going on in the Israelite camp. I think Moses was addressing God in a rather desrespectful manner.

We are shown this prayer in order that we may know this is the wrong way to bring our needs before the Lord.

God answered Moses' prayer by putting some of His Spirit on 70 of Israel's elders and by promising an abundant of meat.

Moses's prayer is about the burden of carrying the people alone and telling God he needs help. yes every prayer is an example for it was God who solved his problem with his people. God asked him to bring 70 elders for a congreational meeting and that they will bear some of the burden and will go through santification process.

• 3 weeks later...

1) Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer?

He was sincere in his frustration. He was annoyed by the many complaints always directed to him and not God. It was not a gentle request for meat but a harsh threatening one that stressed him down. He seemed to be the 'One Man Show' as human, always to settle problems of the Israelites.

2) What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point?

At this point, he felt like giving up and die.

3) Does he have any grounds for his complaints?

Yes, the murmurers had not change spiritually, inconsiderate and ungrateful towards his service to them.

4) Do you think this is designed to be a model prayer?

Maybe when encounter such incident.

5) Why are we shown this prayer?

The prayer of a very distress person. Yet, God listens.

6) How did God answer him?

God allowed him to have 70 able elders to assist his work.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Moses was frustrated in his prayer because he felt that the people was God's problem and not his and he was tired of dealing with it. Showed human weakness.

2) Emotionally, Moses is frustrated and feels he is inadequate. Physically, he is tired.

3) Moses does not have any grounds for his complaints. Moses have seen God power in the past and should have known that he would provide.

4) I do not think this is a model prayer. There is too much negativeness and rudeness in this prayer.

5) We are shown this prayer to let us see God is true to his promises and we only need to trust him.

6) God answered Moses by providing him with some help and more food.

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15) Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer?

Moses was frustrated in his prayer, because he was tired of the people complaining.

The Children of Israel complaining was beginning to burden Moses emotionally and physically, and he carried his frustration and burden to God. Blaming God for his problems, the root cause of Moses

• 4 months later...

1.well for one they are rebellion people they are complaining to much.

2.moses tells god look u brought me this fall either take me out of here or fix my sititation.

3.i think the lord is streching moses to trust him let the lord drive not him so trust and believe me if isaid it its done.

4.yes

5.we need to pray and believe what we pray for and know that he says who he says he is and that it is coming to pass if it is his will not ours.

6.is the lords arm to short . nothing is impossible for jesus amen.

• 5 months later...

8a)Moses has followed all the Lord’s instructions,but the people are not happy&blaming Moses.He is passing this frustrations onto God, instead of urging people to be patient &trusting.He is beaten down by Israelites&this pulls him way from remembering how God has been faithful providing for the needs of his people.His vision of God is too small.

b)Moses faith is being tested being physically weakened &emotionally overwhelmed by size of task to provide meat for people&constant demands of leadership.He knows he himself cannot meet their needs alone.

.c)God always wants us to express our feelings to him, so right to do so, but he should trust God to know he will provide for the needs of his people in his timing&trust him more..

d)yes it showed us God answers fervant prayer.

E)We are shown this prayer,so we know that even faithful leaders like Moses can be exacerbated by circumstances&pressures from people he serves,and we can trust him to help us.

.f)God promised him an abundant supply of meat(a months’s worth) and put some of his Spirit on 70 of Israelite elders&then he rebuked him for not trusting the Lord.

• 1 month later...

Q1. Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer? BECAUSE THE VERY PEOPLE HE IS TRYING TO LEAD ARE OPPRESSING HIM!

What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point? FEAR, CONFUSING, AND DOUBT

Does he have any grounds for his complaints? YES, AT THIS POINT, HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW BIG THE GOD HE SERVES IS!

Do you think this is designed to be a model prayer? ABSOLUTELY NOT

Why are we shown this prayer? EVEN THE STRONGEST LEADER GETS WEAK AND FRUSTRATED.

How did God answer him? HE SHOWED HIM HIS PROMISE OF POWER!

• 2 years later...

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15) Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer?

Their complaining spirit got to Moses. As usual when the people blamed Moses then Moses caved and turned the blame on God. A complaining spirit gets to all of us if we entertain it long enough or tolerate through others.

I think Moses was thinking back with the people and wanted something different to. You want it more when you hear it continuously. The days were getting longer with the complaining and the same food with the same griping people. Moses was tired of being the punching bag of the people. It is easy for a leader to grow tired.

No!! All he had to do was discuss this problem with God. He did not have to come to God in the same manner the people came to him with their complaining.

Not at all. We are to humble ourselves before God and let our requests be known. Ask for wisdom to handle situations.

Probably to show leaders what traps are out there from the evil one and to be prepared. God will honor our prayers and He hears our frustrations but we still must be aware of the pitfalls of leadership and the potential problem of falling into a complaining spirit with the people.

How did God answer him? 

The Lord reminds him of who He is and tells Moses what He will do and to tell the people.

• 2 years later...

Lesson 8: Q1

A. Moses was frustrated with the unbelieving attitude of the people.

B. Moses was broken emotionally and physically. It is with this frustration that Moses approach God.

C. Yes! However, Moses should have politely approach God, because he already knew Gods nature and character.

D. No. This shouldn't be a model prayer, because the manner at which Moses approach God was too rash.

E.we are shown this prayer so we don't go before God in a rash manner, in order to avoid unpleasant occurrence.

F. God answered Moses in anger.

• 5 years later...

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15)

Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer?

How did God answer him?

The complaining just never seems to stop for very long.  I think at this point in time Moses was trying to carry the burden of the people on his own and had sort of forgotten to just pass on the burden over to  the Lord. After all they were actually His responsibility, Moses was only an instrument whom He used.  

Moses was at this point looking to himself as a man. He had taken his focus off God.  He seems to be emotionally and physically spent.

God has supplied their every need up to this point. He has dealt with the people. He has taught them. He has been patient with them.  Moses as human leader has come to the Lord with their complaints and has cried for mercy for them when God was ready to wipe them out.  But if we read the complaint properly, we find that Moses is actually complaining about the fact that he, Moses, was chosen by God as leader to lead these people out of bondage. That is his seemingly main complaint.

I think it is an honest prayer or cry to the Lord, by a man who at that moment in time was feeling the circumstances he was in and had briefly taken his eyes off God, Who had never left him, to carry this heavy load. 

We can learn from this, that we are to bring all to the Lord and to leave our burdens with  Him. We cannot solve them. Only He can.  

God allows Moses to choose 70 elders from the people who will stand with him and be a support and He promises a month's supply of meat for the people.  In Psalm 106:15 we read that He gave them what they asked for, but sent a wasting disease among them.  In the Amp Version it is put "  .  .  .  but sent leanness into their soul and [thinned their numbers by] disease and death."  

• 1 year later...

Moses seems to feel that the responsibilities put on him were more than he could effectively handle, and being out of rational ideas, he sank into despair.

I believe his complaints were grounded. He felt that God had overburdened him with these ungrateful, immature people. He had no idea where to get meat, which they were clamoring for incessantly. In the desert, meat was nowhere to be found -- Moses knew this and had no way of providing what the people wanted. Note that the provision, so far, hadn't come from Moses but from God. So, Moses ws taking on God's burden! He was trying to do the miraculous by creating meat.

I do not think any prayer except, perhaps, the Lord's prayer, are model prayers. We don't pray according to a template but by giving God our real, unvarnished thoughts, fears, praise and worship. In a way, Moses did this. He told God what he was truly feeling, his felt inadequacies and his frustration with his circumstances. God was not angry at Moses' prayer but at the people.

God flatly answered His prayer. He reminded Moses that He had cared for him in the past and would do so again. He miraculously provided quail as meat. 

I have never eaten quail but I've heard it is good, though there's only a small amount of meat on each bird. Thus, to get the meat off of quail takes quite a bit of work. Those who were hungriest or greediest for quail apparently were willing to work for their food -- a good thing! -- yet were still killed by God with some sort of pathogen in the quail. Those who ate the most quail got the most pathogen. They died and were buried in "graves of the craving."