JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Exalted Christ

Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why? What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

In this vision of Christ among the lampstands, we see not the carpenter-teacher but Christ in all His perfections as supremely qualified to judge the seven churches. Later in Revelation Jesus will judge His foes, but judgment must begin at the house of God. See 1 Peter 4:17.

Jesus walking among the lampstands (light-bearers), is designed to remind and reenforce to the reader that the church is called to be a light-bearer. The church is supposed to shine for God amid the darkness of this world. Each believer is called to let their light shine. The believer does not have inherent light, rather we have reflected light. As we behold the glory of the Lord, we reflect it. Jesus said: " ... let your light shine forth that men might see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." See Matthew 5:13-16 for the complete passage regarding believers being salt and light. Believers are called to be light-bearers.

It is important to understand that Jesus Christ is our savior and friend, but Jesus Christ is God and will execute judgment upon humanity at His second coming. Jesus Christ is God and deserves honor, respect, worship, and awe.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Jesus walked on earth, He preached about His Father; leading people to a life of eternity through Him to His Father. He was rejected, ridiculed, persecuted and in the end placed on the cross to die. He lived as mortal humans live, sharing the same feelings, temptations, facing the same problems, yet He remained without sin. As John saw Jesus he was in the spirit. Only then was he allowed to see Christ. There He stood in all glory and majesty; His reverence and Holiness. Deserving of this place in power and judgment. He is still leading people to His Father, even now through the Words spoken to His disciples and prophets of the OT. There are no words to explain the depth and breathe of the feelings I get as I think of Him in all His splendor. Reverence, worship, awe only begin to describe how I feel.

Knowing the Jesus Christ that walked on earth to experience everything we endure, allows Him personal first hand of how difficult life is on earth. He came to this earth to save us from our sins, the ultimate sacrifice, because His death on the cross paid for our sins in full. In Heaven, He acknowledges what we experience, is able to forgive us so we do not pay the penalty for those sins. We will be able to spend eternity in the presence of Jesus Christ and God the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Knowing that when Christ comes to rapture His church, judgment will prevail on all those who have sinned against Him. Those who have not repented and asked for forgiveness, who have turned their backs on Him will receive the punishment that God has planned. How wonderful it is to know we will spend all eternity with Him.

• 1 year later...

Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why? What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

It’s vividly clear that John wanted the members of Christ’s Church not only read the future of the Church based on the visions in writing but also to recognize the 2nd God of the Trinity, Christ himself, who revealed it to him. The seven golden candlesticks which representing the seven churches (Rev 1:20) are literally the all the Churches of today. The Churches receive light from the Gold which shines and glows and this, the gold, which implies the presence of the purity of God - the Churches in turn will have to light up the lives of its members. When the veil of the temple was torn into two the Jesus died, the way to God was opened to humans. This fact substantiates the claim of God’s presence directly into the life of the Church.

Then the apostle saw Jesus’ priestly status in that He was in a robe of authority. The sash of Gold signified His Godliness in His office as our high Priest in the order of Melchizedek.(Hebr 5:6) Then as in Dan 7:9 His head and hair of His head were white denoting majesty, purity and wisdom. John noticed that His eyes were like a flame of fire. (Rev 19:12a) symbolizing discernment of the highest degree – ready for battle. The vision of the “reddened” brass as though it was from the furnace suggests that He is the One with the power and purity to judge the world and slay the antichrist. The “great voice, as of a trumpet” he heard in (Rev 1:10) here sounded like that of many waters. “His voice was like the roar of rushing waters, and the land was radiant with his glory”. (Ezek 43:2)

Next he saw seven stars on His right hand are actually seven angels as explained in Rev 1:20 – the emblems of the seven Churches to which John was assigned to write to. Out came a two edged sword connoting the authoritative power of the Holy One’s judgemental words for those aligned to Satan. Probably, the apostle could bear to see His countenance that was like the sun, shining clearly and powerfully -  too bright and dazzling for mortal eyes to look at - and then the lawless one will be revealed. The Lord Jesus will destroy him with the breath of His mouth and will bring him to nothing with the brightness of His coming. (2 Thess 2:8)

John had seen this before – nothing new. Remember he was at the transfiguration.(Matt 17:1~6) He immediately recognised that this was Jesus, the Son of Man. And Jesus responded in a symbolic way Hey! Relax, don’t be afraid. I am the resurrection and the life. I am undeniably your God, but I am also Jesus, your buddy. I now have all power over life and death. (Rev 1:17~18) Though still flabbergasted the presence of Jesus must have been very comforting to John.

We know that Jesus or Lord has ascended to the Father – has completed His tasks and has received all things -  He is the “faithful witness”, the firstborn raised from the dead, and the “King of kings” and that He will soon return to earth to set things right. What degree of comfort it would have been for the Christians of the 1st century in their time of trials, tribulation and persecution. Everything written in this book will most definitely placate me, more importantly it encourages me live a better life knowing that He, my Lord and my Saviour will come again to judge the antichrist. Thank Jesus. Amen.

• 1 month later...

4a)John’s allusions sought to connect readers of symbolic representation of Christ among lampstands 12-20 and the angelic character who appeared to Daniel in Daniel 10:6.with their knowledge of Jesus as a carpenter-teacher. He wanted to enlarging their thoughts and image of Christ from personal,human nature.

b)The emotion of wanting to worship the awesome majesty of Jesus,&serve Him,light of the world ,shining personally but also brightly&powerfully beyond ourselves.. something that we should/cannot not hide but share with others about us.

c)Having both a personal relationship with Jesus as friend and saviour who came for me,but also an awareness of his divine,pure,Holy,awesome,exulted, majestic,supranatural nature and power,the way to forgiveness&everlasting life helps keep our faith balanced. I seek to worship my Lord,know more of Him each day and talk about him with others,but also conscious that people will see my faults as well, so pray that they despite my faults will see/know more of Jesus in what I do/don’t do&say.

• 2 weeks later...

In Revelation, we see Christ as He really is. We see Him in all of His heavenly glory. He is no longer a regular man. He shows us that there is life after death, That there is truly a heaven where we can be at peacr and be in our full glory to praise God. We need to know Jesus as a man but we also need to know Him and see Him as the God that He is. This is the ultimate knowledge of faith.

• 1 year later...

The reason that the vision of Christ among the lampstands is different than the Carpenter-teacher is because He has been resurrected and is standing at the right hand of God interceding for us. The overall emotion of this vision of Jesus among the lampstands is one that He watching out for us.

• 3 years later...

1.     The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why?

The one John saw in Revelations 1:13-16 was not Jesus who walked the Earth as a servant but the resurrected Son of God who, in glory will return as a King.

2.     What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader?

One has to really think what the event will really look like when it happens because to just read the verses a person can’t grasp the depth of the situation as it will be on that day.

3.     Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

Because most people think of Jesus as the one seen portrayed by Hollywood actors which always show the humble servant who walked the Earth with his disciples and ends up executed on a cross. People need to understand that was how he was the first time he came but when he returns he will come as a king to judge the earth and people will be grief stricken when he does because they aren’t ready, while those that are will find him to be so much beyond their expectations upon his return.

• 4 months later...
On 7/19/2003 at 7:03 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why?

The Man who stood among the lampstands is been seen in all his glory.  His presence invite one to bow and worship.  The carpenter walked among man as one of them.

What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

The vision of Jesus among the lampstand is designed to evoke the sight of a King in all His splendor yet He is seen in righteousness ans holiness.  This understanding of Jesus is important to a balance faith because He demonstrated who He is and proclaimed that He is the Alpha and the Omega.  He was, and is and is to come.  

• 1 year later...

This is a simple message from Jesus to John then to the Church. As we all read. the seven golden Lampstands are the seven Churches. Number 7 is a number of completeness and perfection. This is a message to the universal Church.

To John, it was a message of Jesus' reassurance of His presence to him (John)

Secondly, it is a message to the Church. That Christ is with His Church no matter what happens. 

The implication to these truth are:

1. He is with the Church and He knows how we are living our lives

2. He is with the Church and He knows our pains, and persecution.

3. He is with the Church and His presences assures the Church of an everlasting victory.

Therefore, the Church must live up to expectation, be confident as she faces persecution and be Joyful because she is a victor.