JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Exalted Christ

The vision of Jesus in the midst of the lampstands is God in is Glorified state of being. When Jesus walked the roads of Galilee and Judea He was in His human form as a man of flesh and blood.

My overall emotions are that Jesus is God. He is Glorious and Beautiful. Gentle and Pure, yet Serious in that He will not tolerate sin. With those huge feet of brass and the two edged sword coming from His mouth, He will wipe out the Destroyer/Satan and all those who follow after him. He is Invincible!!!

It is important to understand that God knows by experience what we are going through and that He can and will avenge us. He is God the Almighty!!! Praise God!!!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that God has to be sought to be found (Luke 11:9,10) That is what Peter unveiled when he opined "You are the Christ". Flesh and blood did not reveal this to him but God Himself (Spirit). Peter had already followed Jesus for some time, and submitted to Him. Each of us has to recognise who Jesus is, and trusting Him, become His faithful follower before major revelations can occur. (Damascus Road treatments are rare indeed! But even Paul had to spend years in the desert having his mind renewed before further developments could occur.) By obedience (assuming faith) we learn to see things God's way. and revelation increases. To the person uncommitted to Jesus for the long haul, the things of the spirit are foolishness, but to the spiritual man they are JOY!

Overall emotions might be the fear of God (Like John in Rev1:17a) followed by the amazing peace of God (17:B). These powerful emotions might over-ride amazement, excitement, the dawning of realisation and understanding. Then finally comes the responsibility to communicate what is understood (or seen), producing task orientation, urgency, animation into action (obedience) which is, at the least, wildly exciting.

Jesus cannot be reduced to a historical figure. We have to see far and beyond this to His place in Heaven at the right hand of God, glorified, crowned, worshipped and adored because worthy, given ALL authority, the sword of truth in His mouth and all things in His hands. To know and worship in the Spirit and in Truth is much more wonderful and necessary. Just to know in the intellect is the limit of carnal man, but not the limit of his potential. His potential to live beyond the animal existence is to know God. God is spirit, and to know Him is a spiritual function. Otherwise we are limited to academic knowledge of the historical man Jesus, which knowledge is pitiful!

• 2 weeks later...

#1 Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why?

By this stage Jesus had accomplished the Mission His Father God had set Him out to do. Something I think we overlook about Jesus as He went about His ministry on earth was the very fact that He knew what one day He would have to face. All the while He was teaching and loving His followers He knew the intolerable death on the cross that was looming ever closer with each passing day. If you

The vision of Christ amongst the lampstand evokes a vision to us of the Exalted, Glorified Jesus, who now sits at the right hand of the Father and has rule over all. As the teacher-carpenter in Galilee and Judea, He was just a man like you and I. He still is a man of Flesh and Bone but now glorified as He said He would be and was promised to all by God the Father as told by the prophets. We need to understand this in that it is the promise givewn to all that belileve in Jesus. That because of Him, through Him, the Father has given us the way to be with Him eternally in our new resurrected bodies as it should have been from the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The vision of Jesus among the lampstands is different than the Carpenter-Teacher because Jesus was both fully God and fully man. While He was teaching on this Earth, He showed his physical body. Through this, He showed us the path to righteousness and taught that it is possible to live a more and pleasing way. Because He is now re-united in Heaven, He shows His Spirit body.

Emotionally, the reader should sense by this vision the Holiness, purity and cleanness of God and have a sense of intense reverance for who He is.

This understanding of Jesus is important to a balanced faith because Jesus is God, and we were made in "their" image. We are cleansed and seen as righteous by our faith and belief in who He was, is , and will always be.

He walked among us, suffered, and died - just like we do.

Because of this, and because He rose again, we build our faith by knowing the promise. He died and rose as was promised and therefore we also will obtain a spirit body and be cleansed in Heaven to share eternal companionship with the Father.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why? What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

The vision of Christ among the lampstands and the vision of Christ as Carpenter-Teacher is different. I see Christ among the lampstands as the glorified risen one, Christ, as King and Ruler of all nations, shining in all glory as the Messiah that people on earth were expecting him as the one to come. He is in divine state as seen in Revelation. Jesus did rise to take his place or position as the Messiah, the glorious church now reigns with a ruler and is head of the church(es), head of the body of who makes up church, which is people, God's people.

As Carpenter-Teacher I see Christ as the suffering servant, persecuted, tried. On earth doing what he was doing was one who took to form the church(es), establish them on earth.

The emotion that evokes in me as I see Christ among the lampstands is gratitude, gladness, and strength. I get a sense of security, of being solid, firm as one standing on earth. There is a foundation that is strong, it is built. The church is built by Him and is ruled now by him, Christ.

This understanding of Jesus makes me see Him as human being who had to suffer and be servant as he built the kingdom. He worked like us as in jobs we take on, his mission done enduring all He had and must endure. Doing the footwork of the job to be done, in menial tasks, it was step by step in faith that he walked and into the top position as Ruler. Ruler, Christ in his glorified state, divine though still serving. Then we are like him when we have new life, living in two realms while on earth. He is in us. He is in control of the church which is us, His people who make up church.

The church is seen as one that prevails then. It was established by him while on earth and now ruled by him in heaven. We prevail then as humans who have Christ in us, as church. Every step then, is taken in faith. Jesus' steps were took in faith while on earth. Jesus is in control now of the Church and my belief, trust and loyalty in and to Him increases. Faith is balanced since the outcome is determined through the scriptures. He is in control and Christ is among the lampstands. The church of earth and heaven is united and ruled by the risen one, our Lord Jesus Christ. Christ who walks now among the churches in spirit and not in body as he did once when he set out to establish the church. All for God's greater glory and for us, that to me is wonderful. Thank you God and Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

I think as the carpenter he showed us that he was one of us. Willingly living the in the same flesh that we do, willingly sharing the same experiences of life as us.

The vision of him among the lampstands shows that he is our caretaker, our leader, our King. It shows him as the Son Of God and not the Son Of Man.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why? What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

1. In Galilee, Christ's human side was dominant as He walked among men and gathered His faithful as a shepherd - weak and despised by society and the rulers. In Galilee, only a select few were permitted to see His divine side. Here in Revelation, He is fully revealed as the powerful, omnipotent God, walking among men (the churches).

2. Evokes awe, fear, and respect.

3. We must see Jesus as fully God and fully man able to do both perfectly.

From the scriptures, God loved Israel and gave them the promised land. He blessed them with honey,milk etc. But in return his beloved people forgot all what God had done for them and knew him not.

John 3:16 says God loved the world and he wants to save his people from sins. He came to the world in flesh as Jesus Christ. To bring salvation to the world. He lived in the world and showed us how to face sufferings, how to be obedient and prayfull, to live with simplicity, perfectness, with predetermination etc., so that the world will follow him and his principles.

The vision of Jesus among the lampstands, is the resurrected Christ as King, with full glory. His divine state is seen in the Revelation.

• 1 month later...

Quest. 4. It is inteded to show Jhns readers who Jesus really is. He is not the cuddly baby of Christmas. He is not thegrossly beaten and flayed person who died on the cross . He is now the conqueror of death and sin and Judge of all who ever lived.After his ascension Jesus took his rightful place beside God and is now the king of the universe..It is with awe ,admiration and reverence that we should look upon him. Not sure what is meant by a ballanced faith . but I'll answer best I can. ON earth Jesus was 100% Man and 100% God. We admire him for being able to withstand temptation and sin as man and his willingness to be crucified for us as the Lamb of God. Now in heaven He is still working foruis as our arbitrator.

Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why?

I believe that we were supposed to see Jesus as a carpenter, walking among us, facing the same temptations that we face, and then to see Jesus as King of Kings, Lord of Lords, sitting at the right hand of God the Father. The reason for this is to show us if we accept Jesus, and be obedient to God as Jesus was, we have the hope of spending eternity with Him in Heaven.

What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader?

Absolute awe and reverence, wanting to be as much like Jesus as we can possible be.

Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

To know that although Jesus is King of Kings, Lord of Lords, he also knows how we feel because He lived as we lived, he understands the temptations we face and how hard it is sometimes to avoid those temptations. We were given the complete picture of Jesus, we are able to see both sides of Him. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

The vision of Jesus among the lampstands differs in showing us just how awesome Jesus truly is. It shows us Jesus in all his glory and power. It compares the awe inspiring God to the simple, comman, loving man. This inspires our gratitude - our awe - our assurance in Him and our thankfullness for all He has done and is doing for our benefit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Here we find a totally different Jesus than during His earthly ministry, before He was meek and humbled, in revelation, after conquering death and hell, He returns ready to conquer the beast and execute the judgement promised by the Father; and His appearance represents just that.

2. As head of the church, knowing that Jesus is in the midst of the lampstands (the church) is enough for all of us to go on and endure whatever. Knowing He is in the midst of us reassures me that we will be more than conquerers and will prevail. That is enough to give me a joyful and victorious emotional outlook.

3. Jesus paid the penalty that we owe so that we will have a right to the tree of life. Knowing that He walked this earth for you and me, came out victorious, qualified as the only righteous one to deliver us in the final days, the only one eligible to open the seals, hold the keys, and execute judgement. That is a balanced faith, knowing that He did, and will deliver us.

Here I see Christ in His glorified, exalted state. This evokes godly fear, awe, and praise in me. I must see Christ as He is-son of Man and son of God who lived and walked among us. Because he is fully human , He is able to sympathize with my weaknesses and serves as the faithful and great high priest. Because He is fully God, He is to be given all honor and glory. He alone is to be worshipped.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this and remember that John once called himself the disciple Jesus loved, now he is fainting at the sight of him. He and we are being reminded that not only is Jesus the man he walked with and loved on earth, not only is He the man who died to redeem us, :o but He is GOD. He is worthy of our awe and praise and even fear. He loves us with an awesome love that we can't even comprehend but his anger is aweful as well and we don't want to be on the receiving end of it. We must continue to grow in faithfulness to Him (the Word of God) and not just treat Him as "a friend in need." :(

• 3 weeks later...

At this point Jesus had conquered death through his resurection. Standing amoung the lampstands, he is over themor in charge of them. He is now at Gods right hand in glory. :D

• 1 month later...

I apologize for I am a day late on making this post, but more over apologize because I still cannot answer. I am having trouble focusing today, so I have some yeilding to God to do, and I'll be back to answer this question - hopefully today.

Because this is referrring to His glorified state of being, although in both He was/is there. Visualizing/Actualizing Jesus' glorified state of being brings reassurance that He is in control & knows all, bringing peace to the persecuted. Kowing this - that God is alive & glorified is the balance by which Christians live.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As the Carpenter/Teacher, Jesus displayed His humaness. He walked among man as a man, able to suffer and a humble servant to all. He gave us the living example of how we could live a holy life as a human, and was called the Son of man. He taught by the words of God and a perfect life but also displayed His divine nature thru miracles. But here in Revelation, we still see the Lamb, the rightful King over the very creation He died for, monitoring the light He left in the world for all to see.

Rev 1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. Here we see Jesus Christ, represented as the Son of man, the rejected Messiah, who was made King over all things. He is walking in the midst of His servants, full of righteousness. He is overseeing the righteousness of man with the Word of God as His sword. He wants us to know that He is ever present and ever knowing, always and forever and that the church and/or individual believers will be purified thru fire as gold.

Understanding of who is this Christ depicted here is important for a balanced faith in that we can have faith He is ever present in our lives. He is willing and able to cleanse us thru the fire and provides us with the words of God to endure and overcome. He is the light of the world providing strength for His body and keeping the light of the body shining in the world. Glory be to God. Amen

Agape, Durable :wub:

And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man. (John 5:27 KJV)

• 3 weeks later...

In the Gospels Christ is shown as a Lamb and a sacrifice. He was meek(except when He thought his Father house was misused) and allowed himself to be to be taken and scourged to the point of death. In Revelation he is seen in all his power and glory. A judge of the earth. All powerul so we can rest in comfort when we know we have such a One as He looking over us.