JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Exalted Christ

In order to fully understand the vision, it's helpful to understand the reason for the lampstand. Look at it's use in the Temple. There are 4 lampstands, but they are merely the receptical for the light. Without the oil and the constant watchful eye of the keepers of the lamps, there is no light. Jesus is the Light of the World. The lampstands may symbolize the entire world and my understanding of the significance of numbers is that 7 is the number for completion. Symbolically, this may signify that Christ, the Light of the World, stands in the midst of the lampstands ready to bring light to them, and to complete the task that was begun the moment God spoke the Word.

This is very different to the humble carpenter who walked the dusty, earthly roads of Galilee and Judea. This Jesus is Master over all and Powerful. To me, this vision evokes an assurance beyond any doubt that Satan can throw my way. This says to me that there is nothing that can stop the Lord God and Jesus Christ the Messiah from completing the task ahead.

With this understanding, the balance for each Christian is that all time, past, present and future, is put into perspective. There is great hope and joy in the knowledge that, no matter what, our Lord is in control and will, one day soon, reign over all the earth in His completion.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we see Christ not only as having left His Father's side to be with us, but as LORD! We see He is Lord over His church. He is Lord, all powerful, magnificant. We see His glory, power, honour and ultimately His love for us! This passage reminds us of Jesus' power - He didn't just come to earth to die for us, but He is Lord. This is important to remember as part of our faith as Jesus is more than someone who died that we might live - He is our Lord and Saviour!

Q:4

God the Father gave the prophecies to his Son Jesus Christ,so in the Book of REV. Jesus then broke the seals and opened the scroll.

The key to understand this book is, Jesus alone can unlock the meaning of it's symbols, visions and stories, he reveals the future to us( 2 Peter 3:3-7)

So if we know the future we should be ready!!.

Pax

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

The vision of Christ with the lampstands is one of a high priest (the highest), glorified and among His churches. The vision of Christ as carpenter-teacher is one of a humble servant wanting to teach anyone with an ear to hear.

Without even considering the cross, this contrast alone represents the enormous love Christ holds for us.

I think the vision evokes an emotion of reverence. I don't know,- mostly in me it evokes excitement, anticipation, and hope. Any vision of Christ seems to do that rather He be persecuted or exalted.

I think it's important to know that Christ is willing to meet us on our level out of compassion and empathy but to also fully know that He is All.

God Bless!!

• 3 months later...
:D because he came first to show the way and forgive us for our sins then he died and rose again so becomming as pure as snow and showing us how he wants us to be like this the brightness that wasupon him we could not look at as was to bright for us and so we had to fall down on our faces as we couldnot look at him the brightness was so blinding to get us to understand the greatness of his love and sacrifice that he made for us and also gives us knowledge of eternal life with our father as Jesus has the keys of hell and death-hades so that we can understand in fullness what we need to do for him

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why? What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

Christ here is standing and protecting the Church. He holds the Key of dead and life.

Who of us would not have reacted as the apostle John did? This is a very normal reaction throughout the Bible for those suddenly finding themselves in the presence of the "Ancient of Days" (Daniel 7:9) as the description of this Person seems to fit. But no less true would it be to be in the presence of the glorified Christ, as was the apostle John. The "seven golden lampstands" remind us of what Jesus said His Church was to be - "The light of the world." (Matt. 5:14-16) "...and in the middle of the lampstands one like a son of man." (John 8:12; Matt. 16:18) The involved description of His Person will be seen to have critical relevancy in Rev. 2-3 as He dictates letters to the seven churches. These characteristics of "eyes like a flame of fire," "feet {were} like burnished bronze," etc. each have special application to what He has to say about the churches. This is the glorified Christ in His exaltation, taking on the outward appearance of the eternal God. "We are intrinsically terrified of the holiness of God," one Bible teacher said. "When we look into the face of Christ and understand what holiness is - what the glory is that we behold - then we find out what our former opinions were in their reality." [1] (1 Cor.13:12; 1 John 3:2-3)

• 1 month later...

Too many people in the world see God and Jesus as some one moved by love and believe that either cannot act in any way contrary to the "good" of mankind. The idea that a loving God would and will send someone to hell is foreign to them and they refuse to acknowledge this possibility. Jesus among the lampstands, and through the letters to the churches in the next couple of chapters, clarifies that He will, if necessary, remove people or congregations from His favor. We need to understand that a judgment is coming when those who reject Jesus will themselves be rejected.

bob

• 1 month later...
Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why? What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

This vision of Christ shows the King He is, the great authority and power. This is the Jesus who now sit's at the right hand of God.

• 2 months later...

When he was a teacher he was depicted as a loving kind Jesus. In Rev. he is a strong,powerful Jesus here to judge.

I think it evokes fear but also joy knowing awaits us.

We need to understand both sides of him so we know he is loving but will judge. That there is truly a heaven an hell.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why?

The Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee portrayed God in the form of man. Although Jesus is perfect always, he walked among common men teaching them.

The vision of Christ among the lampstands is one of the glorious Christ. It is the vision of Jesus as our Lord - one to be held in awe.

What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader?

Emotions evoked in this vision:

(1) Awe

(2) Thankfulness

(3) Reverence

(4) Comfort

(5) Relief

(6) Safety

Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

This understanding of Jesus is important because we need to remember that Jesus is our Lord - we owe him respect and reverence. Jesus isn't our 'buddy' where we are equal to him. We must always hold Him in high esteem, worship Him, praise Him, thank Him, glorify Him.

• 4 weeks later...

Everything that Jesus taught while on earth has came true. Jesus sits now on the right side of God in heaven, once a human, then persecuted, and put to death, and then Jesus rose from the grave to live again, finishing his journey and mission so that we could be forgiven of our sins and have eternial life. It would show people that Christ never lost faith and has recieved his place in heaven, and if we follow Jesus we too will recieve our place in heaven. It is very important to a balanced faith as it shows that no matter what we face if one stays faithful, they will have peace and eternal life.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why?

Because, Christ, the anointed One of God, is no longer a suffering servant, a man, He being the Son of God, He is the exact image of the invisible God, the Ancient of Days, whom God appointed Christ to be the Executive Director of the Universe: All power is given unto Him and God hath committed all judgment to the Son, this is what is revealed to us, this is what Revelation is about, the awesome work of the Son of God.

What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader?

It invokes in me security, for I see clearly the awesome Love that God has for me, for mankind, for God sent His Son, the only One that could redeem mankind from the curse of death and Hades, the only One who could set us free, the only One who could tear the veil so we could go before the throne of the Father in worship, the only One who will bring God

• 3 weeks later...

The vision of Christ among the Lampstands is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked on earth -- Why?

What emotions would it evoke in the reader.

Christ's description included "out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword" -- to me it is a reminder that Christ is the head of the Church -- not people -- God has given us guidelines for those who would serve Him behind the pulpit -- but it is not a pastor's church it is Christ's church. The reference to the sharp two-edged sword would be how piercing God's Word is.

It is meant to pierce the heart and soul. And Jesus Christ being the light of the world. Someday we will all see Christ in all His Awesomeness and Power. Just as we will all bow before God and acknowledge Him as Sovereign God eventually.

A balanced faith is very important.

So many people want to see Him only as the Teacher - Carpenter's son who is a loving Savior. They don't want to see Him as a righteous judge. There is a lot of 'easy-believism' these days. Christ is a loving Savior -- gracious -- patient to all, but He is definitely not a grandfather-type with specticals and a cane. He is almighty God with power and great glory.

There will be consequences for those who don't accept Him as Savior -- it will be eternal hell. So -- let's share our faith with others. For God so loved the world (us) that He gave His only Son (Christ) to die in our place for our sin. We accept His gift of salvation -- live for Him --follow His guidelines for living -- and be a light that shines for Him. :rolleyes:

Sue D. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Jesus is here shown as the mighty son of God. He is depicted as being wise and having a divine nature. He is in place to judge evil and is revealed as the High Priest who is entrusted to plea for forgiveness of sinners. He is portrayed as having great powers. His appearance reassures us that He has access to God's power and we have nothing to fear. The power Jesus has been given is available to us. All power over death and the grave is ours through belief in Him. We are restored and will be resurrected into a perfect relaitonship with Him.

Hi Darleen -- Your last name - Nelson - interests me. I'm a combination of Nelson/ Eisenhauer. The Nelson's I came from were in northern Wisconsin - I also know some from Minn. There are also some from the East Coast. Just wondering where your Nelson part of the family came from.

Sue D.

1. Here we find a totally different Jesus than during His earthly ministry, before He was meek and humbled, in revelation, after conquering death and hell, He returns ready to conquer the beast and execute the judgement promised by the Father; and His appearance represents just that.

2. As head of the church, knowing that Jesus is in the midst of the lampstands (the church) is enough for all of us to go on and endure whatever. Knowing He is in the midst of us reassures me that we will be more than conquerers and will prevail. That is enough to give me a joyful and victorious emotional outlook.

3. Jesus paid the penalty that we owe so that we will have a right to the tree of life. Knowing that He walked this earth for you and me, came out victorious, qualified as the only righteous one to deliver us in the final days, the only one eligible to open the seals, hold the keys, and execute judgement. That is a balanced faith, knowing that He did, and will deliver us.

jamdixon -- Hi from another Dixon. I'm Sue from Texas.

• 1 month later...

This vision of Christ is meant to show us His kingship. He is Lord of Lords and King of Kings. All power and glory belong to Him. Some people get so caught up in seeing Christ as only a teacher and friend, that they forget His deity. He is God. Balanced faith to me means understanding that while Jesus is our friend, He is also our King who sits at the right hand of God Almighty, so there is a reverence and awe that should also be there.

I am not really sure of the significance, in particular: "out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword". I have difficulty in understanding this image, though the remainder of the passage is clear enough to me.

I recently took part in another study that explained the double-edged sword and made sense to me, so I thought I would share it with you. In Rome during this time, the sword was a symbol of the highest order of official authority. The Roman government had two divisions--the Right of the Sword and the Rod of Iron--the division of the sword had the power of life and death! Also in Hebrew 4:12 it says, "For the WORD OF GOD is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." and since John 1:1 tells, "In the beginning was the WORD, and the WORD was with God, and the WORD was God," what I get from that is this that Jesus will stand over us in final judgement either to speak life (eternal life with Him) or death (eternal damnation without Him). I hope this helps or makes sense. God bless.

• 1 month later...

The Son of Man, the exalted one, our Savior, what wonderful words to describe Jesus, when he walked on the earth for 33 yrs. For His return we all long for it. It is great to be asked about emotions in the question above. Feelings, emotions, opening up to Him, what a blessing, be in the moment with our God who loves us so much. There is nothing better, we have nothing but the present. Almost a shame to start to think on this question now, but here goes...

Lampstands are light, and there is no greater light than our God, our Savior. What splendor he has in this new "Revelation" we can try to imagine, or just fall down in awe of how ever His image shall be, when He comes.

For me, balance comes for accepting His way, His path, to follow and enjoy, for me this is where the balance comes from ... we know in all our heart "... soon will end in joy..." (jars of clay) :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Now, He's in heaven with God and He is the ruler over all creation.He is ALL Mighty, all pure, He is the highest if high, the greatest of greats. We have to have faith in Him because he is above everything and the King of Kings!!AMEN!!!

• 1 month later...

This vision for John shows Jesus as being forceful, all powerful, stong, authortative, in full glory, and last word for the coming events. The emotions that are drawn up are worship, praise, and respect for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who has come back to recieve his people. Our balanced faith comes from not only our faith but our behavior at putting it into action.

• 4 weeks later...

Among the lampstands, Christ is the resurrected, glorified Savior of the world - All God - in one harmony with the Father and Holy Spirit. Walking on the earth, is Christ come to earth as a man going through and experiencing humanness. These two pictures allow us to see all that Jesus accomplised through His earthly walk, death, and resurrection, and helps us see where is is now reigning in Lordship over His church. It gives us balance and understanding of His mission to save us and make us worthy of His kingdom. These pictures show the balance of the two - how one is responsible for the other.