JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Exalted Christ

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why? What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea because He stands as the soon returning King of Kings, who completed the work of redeeming the world while here on earth as the carpenter-teacher. The overall emotions isevoked by this vision of Jesus among the lampstands in the reader ought to be that of absolute awe of being in the presence of a Holy God. This is the stance that we should abide in continuously, because whether we realize it or not He is present with us always.

• 1 month later...

Q4.

The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why?

What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader?

Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

Here we see our Lord Jesus in full glory, splendour and majesty, not the humble carpenter-teacher He was while on earth. John

• 1 month later...

<!--quoteo(post=45793:date=Aug 9 2009, 09:01 PM:name=alpha1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alpha1 @ Aug 9 2009, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=45793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am not really sure of the significance, in particular: "out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword". I have difficulty in understanding this image, though the remainder of the passage is clear enough to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I recently took part in another study that explained the double-edged sword and made sense to me, so I thought I would share it with you. In Rome during this time, the sword was a symbol of the highest order of official authority. The Roman government had two divisions--the Right of the Sword and the Rod of Iron--the division of the sword had the power of life and death! Also in Hebrew 4:12 it says, "For the WORD OF GOD is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." and since John 1:1 tells, "In the beginning was the WORD, and the WORD was with God, and the WORD was God," what I get from that is this that Jesus will stand over us in final judgement either to speak life (eternal life with Him) or death (eternal damnation without Him). I hope this helps or makes sense. God bless.

Thanks for your sharing! I was also slightly confused by "symbolizes irresistible words".

The vision of Christ among the lampstands = being a faithful witness. However the carpenter-teacher shows a humble man - son of God who came down to earth to be among his people and to teach and love. He was more than being a witness of God, but He lived as a son of God, lived among men and travelled around much.

The vision goes on to symbolic the eternal glory and majesty, providing the assurance of God's promises to come.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q4. The vision of Christ among the lampstands (1:12-20) is much different than the Carpenter-Teacher who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea. Why? What overall emotions is this vision of Jesus among the lampstands designed to evoke in the reader? Why is this understanding of Jesus important to a balanced faith?

Christ in Revelation shows him as the Lord of all, and not as lowly human walking among the hills of Palestine. As a picture of the final times, the Lord needs to be seen as a High, lofty, worshipped figure. We must learn to give him our respect and our praise. This will lead to a balanced faith. Is our Jesus only the high and mighty Lord of all or is he our equal to whom we give our respect? We each must make our own minds.

• 3 weeks later...

It is important to envision the Christ of the lampstands so we come to the full revelation the He is God that chose to come down to live as a man and save us. This revelation is to inspire us to spread the Good News and understand that Jesus taught us all truth as to how we should live.

• 2 weeks later...

While on earth Jesus was calling people to and preparing people for a right relationship with the Father by presenting to them God's "Plan of Salvation" - the only plan that would allow humanity to avoid eternal judgment and damnation. . . Here in the Book of Revelation Jesus is giving us a view of the consequence that results from a decision to reject Christ - Who is God's only plan for salvation. . .

It is designed to provoke a spirit of reverence, honor, respect, and obedience. . .

This understanding of Jesus is important to balance our faith because we need to know that although He is the God of love and has a great love for humanity - He is also the God of wrath when we reject Him. . .

B)

• 1 month later...

Answer; The vision of Christ among the lampstands signifies the foundations of the Church where it is to constructed.On the Lordship of Jesus.This word was spoken by Jesus to Peter,in Matthew 16:15-18--15He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The one like a son of man standing in the midst of the seven golden lampstands is standing there not as a priest but a judge.He will judged those that diesn

• 2 weeks later...

What a beautiful and comforting picture -- Jesus standing in the midst of the church (the lampstands). He is present always, in our trials, persecutions and in those often highly debatable issues that keep cropping up within the various denominations that test scriptural application. He is there. What an encouragement, and something we should be mindful of in our actions, but more importantly, in our faith walk. The Son of Man is walking among us to trim the wicks and stir the flames to make our lamps more effective in transmitting His light. In our weakness, we need Jesus, His dominion and power that is right in our very midst.

Jesus among the lampstand is His spiritual form. He is among thelampstand, or the Churches, to signify that He is always with us, His chosen people. We need to understand this Spiritual realm of the Holy One to have a Balanced faith.

• 1 month later...

When Jesus walked the roads of galilee and judea He was a man. But since His reserrection He is now in His glorified state. The emotions it gives seeing Him in these verses is awe and reverance. This gives us the real picture of who Jesus really is which helps to balance our faith.

• 4 weeks later...

The son of Man who walked the roads of Galilee and Judea was God incarnate, the divine come to earth to teach us of the Father as a rabbi. This man is God's ultimate gift to us. A few months ago I actually wept because I missed Jesus the man, missed ever knowing him, and wondered what it must have been like to hear Him laugh, tell stories, witness his earthly life. He was a fellow sufferer, and we identify with him as an earthly being because we are earthly beings.

Christ among the lampstands transcends without diminishing His incarnate self, shows Him again as teacher not subject eternally to what he suffered on earth. The vision of Jesus among the lampstands evokes awe in the reader, showing Jesus as all powerful teacher, an extension of God sans mortal coil, balancing our faith by

preventing an over familiar identification we might have with the incarnate Son.

Christ is shown in Revelation to be a King. He is the Head of the churches clothed in majesty and having authority. He judges with his eyes of fire and the Word of God in His mouth. Jesus has the voice of power. He shines in His glory.

While Jesus shows us His kind, gentle, humble, loving, meek, peaceful and forgiving side as a man.

It evokes a Godly fear and a humble heart in the reader. Because this Almighty King became a man and was obedient unto death on a cross for a world of lost sinners who didn't know Him. And He is declaring His expectations of our lives before Him. There is a penalty to those who won't heed His Word or a blessing for those who overcome.

We need to understand Jesus of Galilee to understand we have grace and forgiveness when we fail. And yet we must understand Jesus the King whom we are servants of so that we aren't comfortable with sin. We have to strive to be like Him and depend upon His help to get us there.

• 2 weeks later...

The vision of Christ is different, maybe because of who he symbolized at the time. His time on earth was as a man. He would look like everyone else. His appearance amoung he lampstands would be his heavenly appearance; showing purity ( white ) and glory ( glowing ).

The emotions in me are one of awe in that he will be a precious site. Also that he reminds me that I too will be white as snow amoung him.

Why is it important? I think we see the son of man in Revelations as a sign of hopefulness, encouragement, and excitement as to our future with him. It helps me understand that He will surely be worthy of the praise and glory, but the vision of mightyness allows me to remember that I can rely on him for needed strength during trials.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus, carpenter/teacher is different than the vision of Christ we see in Revelation 1:12-20 because Jesus, as carpenter/teacher was God as man. He was on Earth, living among men in human form. He didn't even esteem Himself as equal to God, though He was, but came as a lowly servant. He came to show us how to live, act and be at one with Him and His Kingdom.

In Revelation we see Christ in His glory! Mission accomplished on Earth and triumphant over the grave and sin, He is esteemed as Holy and Righteous and above all. Every knee will bend and every Tongue confess He is God and Savior! In this vision, Christ is seen among the lamp stands which are the churches. How glorious! He is dressed in a robe reaching His feet with a golden sash around His chest. His hair is white as wool and His eyes are blazing fire! His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace and His voice is huge, like rushing waters!

Symbolically He is exalted on high, glowing and with purity and honor. He is aware with penetrating insight and wisdom. His voice is deafening and with Words of truth that will not be ignored. He will strike down some and divide soul and spirit in others judging thoughts and motives in hearts! And yet, we still see His gentleness... "Do not be afraid!" He's always been and always will be! He's overcome death! He's among His churches and showing us exactly what is to come. He's still teaching us! Still showing us the way! He is the way! Awesome!

This should instill awe and an understanding of His glory and Greatness! We should have a healthy fear of Him as this is the beginning of wisdom and yet love Him for He has been good to us! He is Holy. Above all. None like Him. Overwhelming! Beautiful! Inspiring!

We need this understanding of Christ to really take a hold of all He accomplished and WHO He is. He was God with us here....but He is Sovereign God reigning highly exalted and one to be worshiped now....and this GOD, supreme being and warrior is coming again! We should be ready!

• 1 month later...

When Jesus walked on the roads of Galilee and Judea He was the Savior of the world. He had become the Lamb of God that took away the sins of the world. He came to seek that which was lost. He was a man filled with love and compassion. But that is the side of Christ that everyone wants to see. There is yet another side of Christ that is completely different than the one we see on the Roads of Judea. Christ still loves us but now we see his that he has all authority given to him. He holds the key to life and death. This is in reference to the beginning and the ending. This is taken a little bit out of context. But life is the beginning and death is the ending. No one can come to the Father except through Jesus Christ. This side of Christ is one that we must reverently fear for what He can do. He can destroy both our bodies and our souls. Most Christians do not like to look this side of Christ. He is now our righteous judge and we must take the warnings he gives seriously and purposely.

This vision is to provoke both praise and glory to God through His Son Jesus Christ. We see this righteous judge as one deserving our reverent respect and honor. He has earned his rightfully place in the Kingdom of God. His name is above every other name in heaven or on earth. We need to understand the wrath of God when Christ returns. He will be the one that will give out the rewards whether they be good or bad according to the works of His creation mankind. This is how I see this Christ in this description.

• 4 weeks later...

It's the same Jesus that John lived with while He lived on the earth, self-limited by earthly things: He got hot, He got tired, He got hungry, He felt pain. Jesus does not have those self-imposed limitations in heaven. He does not "evolve." He is the same today, yesterday, and forever.

• 1 month later...

we see that Jesus is in his chruches, he was glowing and when he spoke it was like many waters,Jesus have all power he was once died and now he is alive his father give him all power in his hand.

• 1 year later...

The vision of Christ among the lampstands shows His exalted state, sitting on the right hand of the Father, being Lord over all. That is different than Him being a Carpenter-Teacher because here on earth He was the Son of Man born of a woman. In His exalted state He is the Son of God! That is very important to know that He is King and Lord of Lord being the Son of God and we can't go to the Father but through Him!

• 3 weeks later...

The image we see of Christ is that of a Father. He is the "head of the family", the one we would go to for advice, help, etc. He now has the look of wisdom aquainted with one who is in charge. This "aging" is important because our faith cannot remain in the "manger of Bethlehem" forever. Our faith grows and matures as did our image of the Carpenter. He has taken his seat and is ready to wage war, and to judge.

• 2 weeks later...

We see the difference between HUMAN BODY and SPIRIT in this case of Jesus our Lord. Our Jesus is in the midst of his churches now in the Spiritual form instead of only the Physical form and continues teaching them through John and telling them what they must do to reach the level he is at since the Church will be "HIS Bride". Maybe it helps us to think of Jesus in the "physical" and "spiritual" since physical also holds us back and limits us. We ourselves are witnesses that the Spirit of Jesus has overcome all. When we die in Christ, we likewise have "overcome" all things that are "physical" as in the things that would hold us back. The Bible says, "Pray always....The Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak......" We can SEE this fact in this scripture that tells us Christ has OVERCOME and is VICTORIOUS in Spirit now. We, likewise, are to follow his example. By keeping our eyes on Christ that is especially the Spirit of Christ and always seeking to learn more about this Christ we will be given the power to overcome in Spirit as well! Our flesh will turn back into dust but our Spirits will reign victorious with our Creator King. We do not fear death. Our "fear" is only of our AWESOME Creator who is over all and who will bring us into his own being. When we look at the Ocean we have a healthy "awareness" that tells us the Ocean is mighty and can do many things both good and bad. So, it is with our Creator. We know that our Creator is capable of doing ALL things. How could we not find this totally "Awesome" and in an intelligent way, "fear provoking"? Our fear of hell is removed as we fear our Creator in his AWESOME ALL THAT IS the great I AM only.