JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Christ and His Churches

Q5. What is the significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands? What does this teach us about the church? What does it teach us about Jesus?

Ephesians 5:25-27, comes to my mind as I picture Jesus Christ walking among the lampstands, the churches.

Eph. 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Also John 15:1-4

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

I see Him as the Bride Groom, loving and protecting the Bride He laid down His life to sanctify and cleanse, and also as the vine among the branches.

He is among the churches, caring, and inspecting. We know that He in Revelations chapter 2, gives some grave warnings to many of these churches.

Ephesians 5:27 says He wants to present the churches to Himself, without spot or wrinkle. That they be Holy and without blemish.

So, what is the significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands?

It looks like He is protecting and inspecting.

What does this teach us about the church? The churches are lights to the world, Lampstands, purchased, cherished, and inspected by Christ.

What does it teach us about Jesus?

What comes to me again and again, is that He is a jealous God.

He is also the vine, the source of the churches, He has laid down His life for the churches, they belong to Him, and He to them.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a beautiful comforting image. Moses was commanded to make lampstands to light the inside the tabernacle. Levite priests continually tended the lampstand, keeping it full of oil (Exodus 27:20 21). They also are a symbol of Christ's bride who are to be the "light of the world." The fuel for the light given by the candlesticks is our oil - the Holy Spirit. "And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper (the Holy Spirit), that He may abide with you forever, even the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you (lamp oil) and will be in you (John 14:9-13. Lampstands are tall and elegant. We are to stand tall in His image. Revelation 1:13 says "And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. Our Lord and risen Savior is in our midst. His words to us are, "Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death." What a wonderful Savior we serve!

Jesus is the light of the world (made up of power, compassion, mercy justice, truth, faith, hope, LOVE, meekness, gentleness etc as white light is made of of the colours of the rainbow).

This light is available to all lampstands (churches) for the asking. They reflect His light in many different parts of the world (seven lampstands is completion, meaning all churches). He is always among His churches so they can draw upon His light and never run down - so long as they stay focussed on Him. Any focus elsewhere and they'll soon run down! Jesus is always available on request to give of His light (which could also be called power) Faithful and True is written on His thigh!

He holds the stars - angels of the churches. This means each church has a ministering spirit watching over it. It is never left unattended or without protection, and is within range of the light (power) source which is Jesus Himself.

About Jesus we learn that He is still the servant King, in constant attention upon His betrothed bride, enabling her to prepare for the Wedding of the Lamb! How wonderful is that!

• 2 weeks later...

#1 Q5. What is the significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands?

When I read of lampstands in scripture I tend to think of the

The significance of Jesus walking amongst the lampstand.

The lampstand represents the seven churches that were in Asia at that time. From that day to today and until He comes again, the lampstand will still represent the churches. Jesus walking amongst the lampstand signifies that Jesus is the central figure of the church. He is the church. The church is the believers and Jesus is in the believers.

• 4 weeks later...

The significance of Jesus among the lampstands is to depict His involvement in and His active part of the Church, His Body. I will never leave you or forsake you (Isaiah 43:5)

Jesus lives among us still, and lives within us. He is a guiding light in our lives, if we let him. He is not just among the lampstands(churhes), He is the Church. Without Him being the Head of the Church, there would be no reason for the Body of the Church. We should always look toward the light and not lose focus of why Jesus came. To many times we seek religion for comfort of ourselves and forget the importance of the covenant RELATIONSHIP with God, which Jesus came to restore.

• 2 weeks later...

[Q.5. What is the significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands?

The significance is unity. Jesus walks among the churches, the lampstands:

- there is one church of heaven and earth, the churches are united

- there is a one unified body of believers where Christ is head of the Churches

- there is one faith, a common belief, trust and loyalty; to Jesus

- there is one set of rules to obey governed by the same person, Jesus

- there is one ruler who rules over all churches

- there is the same overseer of all churches who is in control

- there is one ultimate power for churches to consult

What does this teach us about the church?

- it is protected, safeguarded and watched over

- it is established

- it is governed

- it is secure

- it is victorious

- it is prevailing

- it has a heirachy system

- Jesus is worthy and chosen by the Father for the job

- Jesus is in control of the churches and has power to rule over them

- Jesus is given the position and power to rule over the churches by the Father

- Jesus holds the highest position in churches

- Jesus is given authority to judge what each does

- Jesus is King given to govern all people in God's kingdom

- Jesus is powerful

- Jesus is trustworthy

- Jesus is faithful and consistent; the church has prevailed since his death

- Jesus is respected; we respect God, we respect His Son who is like Him

- Jesus is the High Priest; we are his priests of the Kingdom

- Jesus is security, protection and victory under Him

- Jesus watches over us all; God's people

- Jesus is the uniter of all believers, brothers and sisters in neighboring churches

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q5. What is the significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands? (1:12-20) What does this teach us about the church? What does it teach us about Jesus?

1. God in Christ still truly walks among us today. The Church is ALIVE with His presence. If I don't sense that, I must question my spiritual state of fellowship with the Lord and take steps (prayer) to remedy that.

2. Christ is walking among us especially in the Church to continue our perfection prior to our eternity with Him. Therefore, it is of utmost significance that I remain a faithful member of THE Church, not A church!!

3. Even after the resurrection and all that has gone before, He is still our Shepherd - ever leading His flock homeward.

• 2 weeks later...

The significance of exalted Jesus walking around the lampstands shows that Jesus is the High Priest of all churches. Jesus is the living GOD. Jesus is the strength and stability of a Church. Jesus is the First and the Last.

Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he. Isaiah 14:4

The only eternal GOD, who is from everlasting to everlasting.

We believers of church must cleanse our hands, purify our hearts, must be prepared, must be humble, must be prayerful and watchful in the church as it is the temple of the GOD and he is the High Priest.

• 1 month later...

Question 5. the lampstands signify not only the 7 churches of asia but all his churches and Jesus stands among them . He is with them to protect ,guide and councel them. They are his bride and he will protect them as a husband should protect his wife. Jesus is eternal and steadfast and will be with us thru all

Q5. What is the significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands?

The significance of Jesus walking among the lampstands, is to show that He is, and always will be, with us. His light shines for all to see.

What does this teach us about the church?

It teaches us that He is part of the Church, and He is lighting the way for us.

That He loves and cares for us, and wants us to follow him. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About Jesus death.........dont forget that Jesus was also true man and the man died and raised from the dead...........

As for Q5 Jesus the exalted One reigns over the Church and as such is her guiding Spirit. He continues to watch over His people........"You will bemy People and I will be your God" said the Lord

• 1 month later...

1. The significance is an exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands diring the period discussed in revelation is the same Jesus walking among us now. He is with us now and will be with us then. He is always with us.

2. Christ is the head of the church. We are to look to Him always!

3. Same as #1 and 2. He is our everything!

• 2 weeks later...

"...the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches..."

I looked up the greek definition of angel in this passage and the definition read:

...a messenger; esp. an "angel"; by implication a pastor: -angel, messenger.

I was thrilled to see the pastor reference because I had a strong feeling that it was Christ holding His saints in the palm of his hands, and who are the saints but the messengers of His churches - the pastors. What a thought, what an image to have while suffering persecution, "Christ has me in the palm of His hand."

Not only that but He is with the churches as well, He walks among us, we should feel His presence and we do. Again, I now have an image to go with that feeling. I love it! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus walking among the lampstands I think shows he is in control and is looking after us. The church needs to turn to Jesus for guidance. Jesus will give it to us. All we need to do is ask.

• 1 month later...
Q5. What is the significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands? (1:12-20)  What does this teach us about the church? What does it teach us about Jesus?

The significance of Jesus' exalted state of being, is that He is Alive, He's here and know's all.

Jesus is the supporter of the church and promotes the church.

• 1 month later...

The Lamp stands are the churches. Jesus walking among them shows that He keeps His promise never to leave us or forsake us. The Bible tells us that the Church is His bride and He is shown as faithful to her. The Church should show the same faithfulness to the Bridegroom remaining faithful at all times to Him and His word.

• 3 weeks later...

The Son of man has been exalted above all things, whereas before His death and resurrection, He was made a little lower than the angels.

Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands: Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him. But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. (Hebrews 2:7-9 KJV)

Here we see a King exalted, overseeing His body, the church. The light He left in the world to shine and be refined as gold.

In His Grip, For His Glory

Durable

• 1 month later...

The significance of Jesus walking among the lampstands is that he always promised to be with his churches to the end of the world filling them with light, life and love.

The church should be precious and pure comparable to fine gold. Its ministers and members ought to also be as such, as their light should shine before men to encourage others to give glory to God.

It teaches me that Jesus is always with us in every thing we do. He walks among us to show us the way even in life's darkest times, and, his eye is always upon us when we stray from the path- his light lights the way to let us see that which needs to be corrected. Jesus loves his church and as much as he loves us, he is also jealous and will not be mocked. He desires a pure and faithful church, one that is victorious over sin and satan.