JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Jonathan's Encouragement

(1 Samuel 23:14-18) Why does Jonathan visit David in the wilderness? What risk is there for David? What risk is there for Jonathan? What do you think it meant to David? Have you ever received a visit from a friend when you needed it most?<p class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix" id="rep_post_77176">

Death if Saul find out or finds him.

Death if his father finds out.

It was like a gift from the Lord. Like feeling a small peice of heaven.

Yes. Her name is Sandy.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• Jonathan is a true and trustworthy friend who cared about his true and trustworthy friend David.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonathan came to encourage David

Saul could be right behind Jonathan.

Saul could have killed Jonathan if he found out.

It was truly an encouragement. I think he was refreshed, especially as he was encouraged to keep trusting God--the kingship was his!

Yes, or I have received a card, a note or even an e-mail that was encouraging--just at the right time!

To encourage David to remind him that God is with him.

David risk was that Saul was right on him and could be killed.

The risk for Jonathan was his father finding out he was helping David and would be killed by Saul his father.

It showed David that Jonathan would be a true friend for life. To have a friend as David and Jonathan were means more than anything. We should value a true friendship.

Yes I have a true friend will always be there for you. Atrue friend does not have to see you every day but be there when you need them.

To encourage David to remind him that God is with him.

David risk was that Saul was right on him and could be killed.

The risk for Jonathan was his father finding out he was helping David and would be killed by Saul his father.

It showed David that Jonathan would be a true friend for life. To have a friend as David and Jonathan were means more than anything. We should value a true friendship.

Yes I have a true friend will always be there for you. Atrue friend does not have to see you every day but be there when you need them.

I think that Jonathan visited David in the wilderness in order to encourage him. It had to be pretty hard on David to be fighting the elements and keeping out of Saul’s way.

I don’t think that there was any risk to David but Jonathan was at great risk talking to David. I think if Saul would have found out then he probably would have killed Jonathan and Saul always had spies hanging around.

I have been able to see my friends when I am in need. They seem to always lift me up by some of their stories and their understanding of the Bible.

Q3. (1 Samuel 23:14-18) Why does Jonathan visit David in the wilderness?

To give him strength and encouragement through God.

What risk is there for David? What risk is there for Jonathan?

The risk for David is that Jonathan could be deceiving him. And by doing so, he would lead Saul and his army to David,or that even, Jonathan was sent to kill David. But, David and Jonathan have a covenant before God, David trust God and David trust in his friend, whom he loves dearly. I think Jonathan's risk were equal to David's. Saul could kill his own son, as Saul has become a very evil man. David could Kill Jonathan for revenge, but both Jonathan and David are led by God, their covenant, sealed by the Lord. Both show their great trust and faith in GOD!

What do you think it meant to David?

Both men loved each other dearly, Jonathan's message of hope and God's power meant a great deal to David, especially since Jonathan risk his own life to comfort David.Jonathan visit gave great comfort to David at a time when he really needed it. It also was a great opportunity for Jonathan and David to renew their covenant to each other in front of God, Both are Godly men led by The Spirit of God.Their strength comes from the Lord!

Have you ever received a visit from a friend when you needed it most? Yes, God provides us with people in our lives for many reason, and especially when we are in great need of encouragement.

Why does Jonathan visit David in the wilderness?

1. Jonathan visited David in the wilderness because God sent him there to encourage David.

What risk is there for David?

2. The risk for David was that Saul men could have told him where David was

What risk is there for Jonathan?

3. The risk for Jonathan was that Saul's men could have told Saul that his son knew where David was and Saul would have Jonathan killed also.

What do you think it meant to David?

4. I think it meant to David that Jonathan's loved was geniune and God was watching over him.

Have you ever received a visit from a friend when you needed it most?

5. Yes. It was wonderful to know that someone cared. Also, it was an opportunity to release whatever was bothering me.

Q3. (1 Samuel 23:14-18) Why does Jonathan visit David in the wilderness? What risk is there for David? What risk is there for Jonathan? What do you think it meant to David? Have you ever received a visit from a friend when you needed it most?

Jonathan visits David to help encourage and strengthen him. They are both at risk because if Saul finds either of them helping one another he will be outrage. I know that David is encouraged by his friend and a brother in the Lord, whom he has developed a covenant with. All this running and hidding takes alot away from a person and eventhough I know he trusted God, but the Lord know exactly when and how to intervene. I do recall sisters in Christ who when I needed most some encouragement has encouraged and helped me to stay focus and on tract.

Q3. (1 Samuel 23:14-18) Why does Jonathan visit David in the wilderness? What risk is there for David? What risk is there for Jonathan? What do you think it meant to David? Have you ever received a visit from a friend when you needed it most?

Jonathan visits David to help encourage and strengthen him. They are both at risk because if Saul finds either of them helping one another he will be outrage. I know that David is encouraged by his friend and a brother in the Lord, whom he has developed a covenant with. All this running and hidding takes alot away from a person and eventhough I know he trusted God, but the Lord know exactly when and how to intervene. I do recall sisters in Christ who when I needed most some encouragement has encouraged and helped me to stay focus and on tract.

Why does Jonathan visit David in the wilderness? What risk is there for David? What risk is there for Jonathan? What do you think it meant to David? Have you ever received a visit from a friend when you needed it most?

Both Jonathan and David were not only good friends but they were true friends. Jonathan must have been aware of David's troubles and he visited David to encourage him. This showed courage on the part of Jonathan because Saul could have tailed him and killed David. Jonathan could also have been killed by his father for his support for David. David must have been extremely grateful and touched that Jonathan would actually "betray" his own father for a friend.

Jonathan visited David in the wilderness to give him encouragement to continue with the running from Saul. David runs the risk that Jonathan coming to him could have been a trick to capture him. Johathan runs the risk that in trying to get to David that David's men may kill him. Also, if his father had known he went to go see David he probably would have killed him himself. I'm sure David got encouragement from Jonathan coming to encourage him. It was a sign from God that he was doing the right thing and although there is more to come David is headed on the right path. I cannot remember if I ever have received a visit from a friend when I needed it most.

Jonathan was a true friend and wanted to encourage David by going to him. When I was ill and in the hospital, my daughter (one of my very loved frriends) stayed with me day and night for 2 days. What an angel! I was "no visitors allowed without risking getting ill also" status. She didn't care, she knew I needed someone by my side.

Johatan visits David in the wilderness in order to encourage him.

What risk there is for David is that Jonathan could have accidentally led Saul's men to David's hiding place.

What risk there is for Jonathan is, Saul could discover their secret friendship and end up killing both of them.

What Jonathan's visit meant to David was, David knew he had one friend he could count on who wouldn't turn against him.

God sends Jonathan to encourage David. David is being hunted down by Saul to kill him so he was very anxious. Jonathan could have been stoned if caught and David desperately needed his friend at that time. yes I have friends who call or drop by just at the time I need them the most.

• 1 month later...

:wub: To encourage him. there is none,because of daivid affected for Saul son's.

it mean't alot to have a person come to encourage you and the person is

the person that is trying to kill you son and he can to enc ourage you.

yes, when I was at my lowest God send two of my sister in the lord to

pray and encourage me.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (1 Samuel 23:14-18) Why does Jonathan visit David in the wilderness? What risk is there for David?

What risk is there for Jonathan? What do you think it meant to David? Have you ever received a visit from

a friend when you needed it?

a) God sent Jonathan to encourage David and reassure that Saul would not lay a hand on

him. They also renewed their covenant befor Yahwen.

b&c) The meeting was risky for both David and Jonathan. David would have been killed if he

was found, and Jonathan would have been killed for helping David, probably would have been

considered a traitor.

d) The meeting meant much to Daavid. It also helped him find his strength in God.

e) Yes I have. after suffering a heart attack I was laying in the hospital feeling sorry

for myself and alone (instead of thanking God for being alive). Then in walked my friend

and her kids with a teddy bear and flolwers, I cried and thanked God for his intervention,

showing me His love and that I was not alone.

Johnathan and David had a covanent with God as their witness. Johnathan felt he needed to help David at this time, so he went to him. The risk is death if Saul would uncover their covanent. Getting a call or visit from a real friend at the right moment can be priceless. These are people who really care about you, and its a very short list of people who you can really count on.

We expect these special friends to be Christians. When they hear us and speak, it is coming from God and we really need to listen. Everything happens for a reason; these visits or conversations are no exceptions. They are blessings.

• 2 months later...

3a)God sends Jonathan to encourage David.

b)David was at risk from Saul, also from hunger &thirst in the dry wilderness of the desert, with scarce water.

c)David was a wanted man, Jonathan could have been convicted&tried for assisting David.

d)Jonathan was fond of David as a friend.He also had a bond of peace with him, to protect him

.e)Yes &known the joy and encouragement at tough times.Reminding me God provides always,

• 1 year later...

Jonathan visits David because he is traveling with his fathers army and since he is close decides to visit David.  Perhaps God sent Jonathan as an answer to his prayers and psalms.

David and Jonathan both risk Saul finding them or finding out that Jonathan knows where David is, which could turn Saul against Jonathan as well.

I am sure David was extreemley happy to see Jonathan and received it a blessing from God.

Many time I have received a visit or a phone call when I needed it and didn't know that I did and it is a blessing from God it lets you know that He really does want us to know he hears us.

• 2 months later...

(1 Samuel 23:14-18) Why does Jonathan visit David in the wilderness? What risk is there for David? What risk is there for Jonathan? What do you think it meant to David? Have you ever received a visit from a friend when you needed it most?

As Saul's son, Jonathan is very aware of David's danger and turmoil and decides it worth the risk to connect with him.  I sense that Jonathan needs this connection as much as David does- for encouragement and direction - because of their great love and respect for each other.  It's risky for both men because it may eventually alert Saul to where David is located, and makes Jonathan a  traitor to his father and the king.  I'm certain David, as a sensitive man, treasured this sacrifice from Jonathan and it bolstered him to continue the journey.  Friends have been invaluable sounding boards and a comfort to me in time of trouble or struggle.  God is kind to provide them just when needed.

• 9 months later...

God sends Jonathan into the wilderness to encourage David & help him find strenth in God.

The risk was both to David & Jonathan, as Saul was after them both so they were both in danger.

The Ziph people where no to keen on David & sent a delegation to Saul reporting Davids exact location.

Saul was by this time closer than ever to David, as he was on one side of the mountain & David was on the other.

It ment so very much to David that Jonathan had come to him in the wilderness, so much so, that in fact they both reinforced their covernant of peace between each other. Also Jonathan tells David that, David will become King & that Jonathan will be second to him. What a close friendship.

When we cry out to God for help from our hearts, he hears us, he sends a friend, loved one or relative to comfort us, he also gives us his wonderful word in his Holy Scriptures, when opening the Bible in need of Gods help it is amazing how it will always fall open to scripture that I really need. Praise be to our Lord God. Amen.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (1 Samuel 23:14-18) Why does Jonathan visit David in the wilderness? What risk is there for David? What risk is there for Jonathan? What do you think it meant to David? Have you ever received a visit from a friend when you needed it most.

The Bible suggest that Jonathan went to David to give him strength.- to keep a David from being filled with fear.

Jonathan risked being followed by Saul and his men, if his father Saul found out Jonathan could have been charged with treason. The danger for David was that if Saul head followed by Jonathan then David would be found out and would have being killed.

This visit unlikely it meant much to David for he would be glad to see his old friend and to receive the encouragement from him for Jonathan tells him that his father will not catch him, that David will be king and that he Jonathan ,  will be second-in-command.

Yes a friend came to visit me when I was sick and near death.

• 3 years later...

1. Why did Jonathan visit David in the wilderness? To give him encouragement  as  he was fearful of Saul

2.What risk is there for David? Because of his friendship with Jonathan , he risk being killed by Saul

3.What risk is there for Jonathan. Risk of being followed by his father's men ,knowing what relationship  he has with David.

• 1 year later...

I keep thinking that if Jonathan could find David so could Saul. What must be happening here? The way I see it, Saul was certainly afflicted with 'metal illness' (as we would call it today) brought on by his disobedience to God. But his mental illness was not always affecting his emotional responses ( anxiety, paranoia etc..) so when that was the case he would have wanted to obey God and do what was best for his kingdom. The clue here is verse 17 'and he said to him, "Do not fear, for the hand of Saul my father shall not find you,. You shall be king over Israel, and I shall be next to you. Saul my father also knows this." My interpretation of what Jonathan is saying is - 'my father, when sane, knows the Lords will, and I have come to assure you of that' 

The risk to them both to meet up in this way is exposure. Especially if their timing was wrong and Saul was having a psychotic episode.

Jonathan's visit would have brough great comfort to David.

I also think the Lord sends different friends, at various times for different reasons. Certainly the Lord has sent me friends for comfort, but also instruction and (deserved) rebuke at times. 

• 3 months later...

David has sought refuge in the Judean Desert  hiding from Saul.
God had sent Jonathan to visit  David
Jonathan "helped David  find strength in God" Jonathan said to David "Don't be afraid. My father Saul will not lay a hand on you. You will be king over Israel, and I will be second to you. Even my father Saul knows this."