JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Power of the Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit's presence is neccessary in our ministry because without it we will have a natural led ministry. Also, we need the power of the Holy Spirit to complete the work of God, without out it we have no power.

Will power will never get the work of the Lord anywhere. The Lord's work is Spiritual and we can not do Spiritual things with worldly will-power. The two don't mix.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Holy Spirit is important to effective ministry because the Holy Spirit convicts the heart of the listener. If we only have will power in our ministry, there is no supernatural conviction in our words. It is only empty argument. Miracles are also important in evangelism because it is evidence that the Gospel being preached is real. Miracles are not as common today as they were in the early church because in our modern-day culture, people have become dependent on advancements in science, conveniences and technology. Miracles are more common in smaller countries where the Gospel is preached because people are less dependent on man-made solutions to common problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 1:4-5) Why is the Holy Spirit’s working so necessary to effective ministry?

The presence of the Holy Spirit working in a ministry is the power behind it's effectiveness, for the word of God are given to the minister and preached that way. It is like God has taken over. It is not man that saves, but God and the Holy Spirit is God.

What happens when the main power behind our ministry is will-power?

Will-power is a force of man. It can not save anyone. It is pushing my ideas on someone and expecting them to bend to my ideas. The Holy Spirit is Gods love poured out and moving hearts to open to Him.

What is the role of miracles in Paul’s evangelism?

Miracles in Paul's time were persuaders to the people of Gods power.

What would happen if we saw miracles in evangelism in our day?

I know miracles happen in evangelism today. They may not be a large work, a small wonder. I recently attended my sister baptism and 15 others were baptized that day. I know some people miss miracles when they occur. whether people are blinded or not I don't know.

What is hindering this?

What hinders it is lack of faith and a persons unwillingness to change. When God takes over your life, you are less of who you were and more of a person becoming.

• 4 weeks later...

We can say all we want to but it takes the Holy Spirit to move the people that we talk with. If the Spirit isn’t there then all we are saying are words.

The thing that happens when the main power behind our ministry is will-power is that nothing gets done. It takes the Holy Spirit to move people to accept Jesus Christ as their savior.

The role of miracles in Paul’s evangelism is that the people can see that the Holy Spirit is at work and they can trust what Paul is saying. We see miracles in evangelism in our day because look at all the great work that Billy Graham has done. If it weren’t for those miracles there wouldn’t have been as many people converted.

• 2 weeks later...

The Holy Spirit must be working within you in order for your ministry to be effective because it's all about Christ, not us. Without the Holy Spirit working in our ministry we tend to make it  more about us not Christ. The Holy Spirit is the one who draws people to Christ. We must forget about self in order for the Holy Spirit to work effectively.

"Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied (Acts 9:31)".

All we need is the will power to pray asking the Lord to help us remove ourselves out of the way so His Spirit can guide us to do the work He call us to do.

Paul was so happy deep down in his soul that God chose to draw the thessalonians in to Himself. The same miracles that was present in Paul day is still present today. Miracles are still happening in churches today. If miracles are not present in some churches it's because of their lack of belief.

Why is the Holy Spirit’s working so necessary to effective ministry?

The Holy Spirit gives us power to our ministry. The Holy Spirit gives us boldness and the wisdom to speak the right words. It also gives us phyisical strength and stamina to persevere

What happens when the main power behind our ministry is will-power?

Will power will only bring us to a certain stage but we will never be able to finish the race. We will grow weary.  Relying on will power is relying on the worldly power. It will not bring us joy and success that God has intended for us.

What is the role of miracles in Paul’s evangelism?

Miracles enabled the people to understand the power of the living God.It comes out as a testimony of God's love and His promises to us. It of course must have made Paul's mission ie to evangelise and convert people to christianity

What would happen if we saw miracles in evangelism in our day? What is hindering this?

Miracles would convince us that our God is a living God, whose words and promises are true and applicable to this day. Miracles would convince more people to accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior. However many people have become skeptical and are unable to see the work of God in the world we live now. Probably our tendency to rationalise and believe what we see rather than rely on faith is the main hindrance

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 1:4-5) Why is the Holy Spirit's working so necessary to effective ministry? What happens when the main power behind our ministry is will-power? What is the role of miracles in Paul's evangelism? What would happen if we saw miracles in evangelism in our day? What is hindering this?

Jesus told His disciples that apart from Him, we can do nothing...now of course we can and do all kinds of things in our own strength but Jesus was speaking of things of kingdom value...its interesting that even with the best training possible (i.e. from Jesus for three years, practical and theoretical) that Jesus would say they still needed something more...so they waited for the promise of the Father...and then when the Holy Spirit was poured out their witnesses was immensely powerful...of course this was not the last time they would need to be filled (see Peter and co in Acts 4:31) and in this subsequent filling we see again new power to witness boldly.

What is hindering this today

The late Dr. A. W. Tozer, author and pastor, said, “If the Holy Spirit was withdrawn from the church today, 95 percent of what we do would go on and no one would know the difference. If the Holy spirit had been withdrawn from the New Testament church, 95 percent of what they did would stop, and everybody would know the difference.”

people like em bounds and Leonard ravenhil would say our lack of power is due to our lack of prayer

(1 Thessalonians 1:4-5) Why is the Holy Spirit's working so necessary to effective ministry? The Holy Spirit outworking in us produces spiritual outcomes that we as mere humans consider would not be able to achieve. We can be trained, we can talk/counsel people, we can have all the programs, but the holy spirit has to be with and among us to see results for the kingdom.

What happens when the main power behind our ministry is will-power? This is when we are only operating on our own strength, and not working as a term with others and the with the Holy Spirit's assistance.  We can only go so far with the Holy Spirit's help

What is the role of miracles in Paul's evangelism? What would happen if we saw miracles in evangelism in our day? Miracles do exist and in some areas we are blind!  open our eyes and listen and we would see and miracles around us.

What is hindering this? Lack of prayer followed by a lack of faith on our behalf that God is working with and for us.

We should be doing the work God has already prepared for us (Eph 2:10) and only the Holy Spirit can show us what that is. If we do what we think is right we won't have the same results as when we step into situations God has already prepared.

The role of miracles is to proof God is behind Paul's efforts 

If we had miracles going along our own efforts we would be sure God is with us and hopefully they would point away from us to God. But there would still be those who don't want to believe. Main hindrance is our limited understanding of what God could do if only we would let him.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 1:4-5) Why is the Holy Spirit’s working so necessary to effective ministry? What happens when the main power behind our ministry is will-power? What is the role of miracles in Paul’s evangelism? What would happen if we saw miracles in evangelism in our day? What is hindering this?          

We cannot accomplish the works of Jesus on our own or without the help and leading of the Holy Spirit. When we use our own wills to accomplish a Godly work it becomes empty and fruitless. Signs and wonders follow God's people. It is a sign from God for the unbelievers and believers as well. The role of miracles in Paul's evangelism was a sure sign to those who saw and listened to Him. A sign that the living Christ is indeed real and empowers His people. This won people to Christ! Today this same evangeism is hindered because many believe it was for the early church and not now. Some pastors or those with recognized ministries and preaching abilities fail to nuture or see the need to nurture those that flow in gifts other than their own. Many have received gifts of healing and miracles but stay dormant in the pews!

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 1:4-5) Why is the Holy Spirit’s working so necessary to effective ministry? What happens when the main power behind our ministry is will-power? What is the role of miracles in Paul’s evangelism? What would happen if we saw miracles in evangelism in our day? What is hindering this?

It is the Holy Spirit that has to be working not us beause we can not save others only plant, seed, water and sometimes harvest from God's word.  It is the Holy Spirit that can convict down into thedeepest part of our souls.  We are only messagers of the Word.  I think that many times, there is human will power instead of God's power.  It may be from good intentions but without God interaction, it will fail.  The role of miracles in Paul's evangelistic outreach is to demonstrate what Paul says from God's word is authentic.Going back what you shared Dr. Wilson about prayer preparation.  I rememberreading about D.L. Moody and others about praying at length for a revival and God honored that with a great American Revival and an successful evangelistic outreach many times over.  We need to do the same right now.  To pray for such an revival today because of what is happening to our country, freedoms and families.  I know I need to get more serious in this area.  I believe what is hindering such a revival is fervent praying over our nation and our neighbors.  I pray that God will continually convict me to pray more fervantly than I do. 

Without the Holy Spirit's guidance, it is not a ministry. It is simply a task to carried out.

B. When the main power behind our ministry is will power, the ministry will fail or it won't be as effective.

C.The role of the miracles in Paul's evangelism was to inform the people in Paul's day and ours that miracles still exist.

D. If (when) we see miracles I'm evangelism in our day, we can come to the realization that God is still in control. Our lack of faith or our "I did it our this" mentality hinders us.

• 1 month later...

In and of yourself you do not possess the power to carry out God's ministry. The power of the Holy Spirit is needed to carry out effective ministry it is not our ministry it is God's ministry and who knows the mind of God except the Holy Spirit. If the main power behind our ministry is will-power then we our leaning on our own understanding and our efforts are in vain. We can put on a good show that people can feel intellectually and emotionally but we will fail to help people change their inner man. We can give the Word of God but fail to demonstrate the Word of God by example. Miracles in Paul's evangelistic ministry were the tangible proof of the Word of God that he had spoken. If the tangible proof of miracles was present in the evangelism of today it would result in the harvest that is already plentiful that Jesus prophesied in His day.  What hinders miracles in present day evangelism is our failure to trust God in believing the fact that as the Father sent the Son He also sends us to demonstrate the Spirit without measure.

In and of yourself you do not possess the power to carry out God's ministry. The power of the Holy Spirit is needed to carry out effective ministry it is not our ministry it is God's ministry and who knows the mind of God except the Holy Spirit. If the main power behind our ministry is will-power then we our leaning on our own understanding and our efforts are in vain. We can put on a good show that people can feel intellectually and emotionally but we will fail to help people change their inner man. We can give the Word of God but fail to demonstrate the Word of God by example. Miracles in Paul's evangelistic ministry were the tangible proof of the Word of God that he had spoken. If the tangible proof of miracles was present in the evangelism of today it would result in the harvest that is already plentiful that Jesus prophesied in His day.  What hinders miracles in present day evangelism is our failure to trust God in believing the fact that as the Father sent the Son He also sends us to demonstrate the Spirit without measure.

• 3 weeks later...

The working of the Holy Spirit is so necessary in any ministry to be effective because without the Holy Spirit in any ministry no miracle will happen.  The result of the absence of the Holy Spirit will be that no divine healing will take place, people will not repent because only the Holy Spirit can touch people's hearts.  The church will be nothing else but a social gathering.

The will-power has limitations.  The concept is used mostly by motivational speakers.  This is the 'feel-good' evangelism.     

The role of miracles in Paul's evangelism is to win people/souls to Jesus Christ.

If we saw miracle in the evangelism we would win more souls to Christ.

Pride, preachers worried about their personal gains rather than their calling to lead sinners to Christ, unbelief among Christians (believers) is what hinders miracles in the church today. 

It is necessary for the Holy Spirit because it is not by our might or power the God moves but by the Spirit of the Lord. We are nothing without God but with God all things are possible. If we try to be effective without the Spirit of the Lord it will not work, it will not last, it will not function. Jesus said that He would leave us a Helper, the Comforter.

The role of miracles in Paul evangelism was to draw people to Jesus. Those miracles was also used as testimonies through those who witnessed those miracles to spread the Gospel of Jesus.

Those of us who witnessed the miracles through evangelism today know that Jesus still lives today. The miracles that where performed back then through those God chose are still being performed today through those He chooses today.

The only thing that hinders miracles through evangelism today is people's unbelief.

• 7 months later...

It is only through the power of the Spirit that our eyes and ears are opened to the truth. Mans word maybe powerful enough to convince some for a time or even a season but does not have sustaining power. Miracles showed Gods mighty power. I think today we would have the same results. Some would change and others would write it off and be skeptics. I don't believe a lack of faith is what holds back miracles today. I believe miracles do still happen to this day. I'm just not sure in most cases or circumstances God would receive the glory.

• 3 months later...

The Holy Spirit is still working in the world today. He is delivering God's messages to all who will listen. Miracles are still happening. I have seen many in the churches I attend. I have seen legs lengthened and the sick made well. Ask and you shall receive. People only have to open their hearts and mind.   

• 1 month later...

The Holy Spirit’s working so necessary to effective ministry because the power of Christ's love and spirit are only available to people by the power and strength of God' powerful and mighty right arm. This is called election by God in order to underline and make clear that  our faith and love of the Lord can only happen according to God's Holy purpose. This is made clear in verse 4:"For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you". This being chosen by God is called election and it proceeds from the Love we find in God's great heart. The purpose of election is not to sentence people to a burning eternity but exists to deliver people from sin. With God it is all planed by his eternal purpose It is not a last minute choice by God for God has a definite plan for the future. From the beginning God know's what is to happen in our futures . People are not damned by God from the beginning- it just happens that God lives the past, the present and the future and knows the decisions we will make from eternity. God must smile when he looks ahead, back and sees Paul in Paul's time and the work he does for the Lord.  

When the main power behind our ministry is people's will-power and not the Lord's the ministry is a sham.

Miracle's were used to show the power of God.

Many would not believe, others would be doubtful Some would be convinced.  I am not sure that God wants us to believe because of miracles. Gog, I think wants us to have faith because we love God and are convinced by all signs that God loves us. Personally, I do not want my children and grandchildren to love me because I do things for them. I want to be loved because I am a loving parent. Would God want less?

• 6 months later...

The Holy Spirit is the guiding force in all believer's lives. This is the connection from humans to God himself. To have a God-led ministry and not people led, we need to listen to the Holy Spirit as we are guided through our daily lives. When people try to use will-power to accomplish things, we usually have very little effect. We need to learn to do things God's way. we need to learn to have faith that God is always at work to give us what is best for us. Paul, it seems, does not personally do miracles. He does not do healings or things in the open. But he gives credit for everything to God. He believes that God works in special ways. I believe that miracles in evangelism do take place but we are too blind to see them. People do speak of God and they lead people to God but it is hardly ever notices by the numbers. I believe that people are hindering all the actions of God. They refuse to let God take control. They are always trying to do things their own way. We are doing what we feel is God pleasing but we are constantly under-minding what God really wants. We refuse to listen to him.

• 1 year later...

The working of the Holy Spirit is necessary for an effective ministry, because he gives the gospel power and convicts the unbelievers.

When the ministry is by our own will power it loses it's effect because the Holy Spirit is not in it.

The role of miracles in Paul's ministry is a tool of the Holy Spirit to demonstrate that the true word of God is being taught.

To see miracles in our evangelical day's would have the same effect to unbelievers as it did in Paul's day. However, miracles can not always produce faith in God.

Many denominations in our day down play the miracles or gifts of the Holy Spirit. this causes restriction of the word of God and the gospel. 

• 4 months later...

The Holy Spirit will be our main source of strength to carry out Jesus' command to share the Truth that He is the Way. If we rely on will power, it is impossible for us to endure the trials and oppsition that we will face. It is only through God's Spirit we will act boldy and not wither. Miracles in Paul's time was used to win the people's hearts tontuen into Jesus' believers and eventually to spread and share Jesus through out the world.

If we see miracles in the present, it would be a great encouragement to us believers, and people will accept Christ. But blessed is he who does not see and still believe. What is hindering the present to see the miracles is lack of faith! Miarcles are everywhere in everyway. 

• 9 months later...

Q2. Why is the Holy Spirit's working so necessary to effective ministry? The Holy Spirit’s working so necessary to affirm God’s power and presence.

What is the role of miracles in Paul's evangelism? Miracles is the power of conviction that results in repentance and faith. The role of miracles in Paul’s evangelism is evident enough because of whom he believes in and also preaches to others. It is a power-house to strengthen/stress on the preaching.

What would happen if we saw miracles in evangelism in our day? Deep conviction would result in repentance and faith. Without revival, so many of the conversions we see are intellectual and emotional in nature and often they do not get to the inner person.

What is hindering this? Unbelief in miracles. People have refused to believe God for miracles as some think that, that was a thing of Old Testament. Those who are gifted are neglected. We need to seek out those gifted people and nurture them. We need to learn how to pray and trust God, listen to his voice, hear what he is saying and obey (do as he has commanded).

How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life? Imitation is important in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life. This is so especially when the one you want to imitate is a good role model or mentor. Imitation is derived from good mentorship, role model. It is important especially if you know the character of the one who is being imitated. It is a follow in the steps of the one leading or teaching.

Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? The character of the leader or mentor is important because if it is not so then the imitators will have twisted characters. The leader/mentor must imitate and have faith in Christ.  Must be one who is convicted.

How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community? It is difficult for people who are not part of a Christian community to grow in Christ. The Christian faith portrayed for us in the bible exist in community. People who isolate themselves from the Christian Community miss out on vital character formation that Christ intended. i.e (i) Role model to emulate and (ii) Spiritual gifts in the body to build and help us grow healthy. The Christian church is God’s plan to help mature us and to involve us in Christ’s mission to our communities.

In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children? My character is important to my family as I am expected to provide a good example to those who will pattern their lives after what they see in me. This is a guiding factor for imitation since I expect them to imitate me. I have to portray the best character of me that I would want those who will pattern their lives after what they see in me to emulate; to be a model. No one would want to be a bad role model. We expect to get the best out of our families and so it is our duty to do all that it takes to bring the best out of it all. One expects to harvest bounty of what is planted.

• 11 months later...

Because without Holy Spirit we can't  win souls

Sometimes will power make arrogant, pround and selfish so we always to the ministry.

according to Holy Spirit and By His will then we'll be able to win souls more effectively.

That would be an amazing ministry if we see miracles today in our ministry because knowing about Jesus is not enough we should Know Him personally and that would be through experience.

Satan always try to hinder this through different ways sometimes he uses even human beings.

Sometimes we don't have faith in God.

Sometimes we don't spend time in prayer.