JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 2:2) Why is personal courage such an important character trait for a disciple -- and for a discipler?

Personal courage is an important character trait for a disciple and disciple, because the personality or morality of a person is weigh when trusting or judging a person.

People have to know that a person is being opposed for their Christian faith, not because of anything they have done or said wrong.

How does lack of courage prevent evangelism?

Lack of courage prevents evangelism, because someone will not proclaim or tell others about Jesus or the gospel because of fear.

We are to “stand strong in the Lord and the power of His might” by putting on the whole armor of God that “we may be able to stand in the evil day.”

Ephesians 6:10-17 – “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand .14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;”

How does lack of courage prevent a congregation from being healthy?

When a congregation does not have courage they will not grow in the things of the Lord, and fear and doubt will hinder them from being healthy as a Christian.

God has not given us the “spirit of fear.”

2 Timothy 1:7 – “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

What is God calling you to do that will require courage on your part?

God has called me to speak and preached the gospel with my mouth and my life to my friends, family, and church.

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 2:2) Why is personal courage such an important character trait for a disciple – and for a discipler? How does lack of courage prevent evangelism? How does lack of courage prevent a congregation from being healthy? What is God calling you to do that will require courage on your part?

Paul's total commitment to fulfill his calling to teach others about God and what it means to follow Him. It was dangerous but he loved God so much that it did not stop him from declaring the Gospel and to make disciples amongst the people. He had the courage to take the risks for the gospel. God also promises that He will not leave you on your own, but to be with you always.

Christian courage and boldness is vital to the success of the Kingdom of Christ, and the lack thereof will invite strong opposition, spiritual warfare. It is important for us to see that we cannot fight darkness with darkness. Rather, we need to put on our spiritual armour and yield ourselves to the power and presence of the Holy Spirit within us as we pray.

The love of the great Body of people, the Church will grow cold, due to the lawlessness & wickedness in our land. The pressures of modern-day lifestyles produce an atmosphere so supercharged with problems that most people totally ignore their walk with God. Instead they concentrate on themselves, look out for themselves and try to solve their own problems.

Refuse to let my love grow cold, and to stir up the love in my life, toward other people. Reach out to others who are hurting and in need. Pray for people and bless them.

Why is personal courage such an important character trait for a disciple and for a discipler? How does lack a of courage prevent evangelism? How does lack courage prevent a congregation from being healthy? What is God calling you to do that will require courage on your part?

ans-It is important because it helps us to understand and not mislead Gods word. Lack of courage prevents it because of fearr. We can not help anyone if we have fear . We need to be willing to do work for God. Not be afraid of what others say or fight against us. A lack of courage have a strong way with a congregation. If the teaching is not where they understand it then they want get the healthy word of God. To preach his word takes a lot of courage.

We have to stand up for the Lord no matter how we are persecuted. People will scoff at you talk about you call you a crazy Jesus person

but through it all STAND FOR JESUS.

We all want to get a long with others but if we try to lead people to Christ you will lose many so called friends.It takes pure courage to keep up with trying to lead others to Chrisit. This Pslams help me Pslams 27: The Lord is my light and salvation,whom shall I fear. This verse helps me in giving me courage to draw others to Christ.

If we dont' stand up and have courage to tell about Jesusand Him crucified how do we expect the church to have courage. It will offend some but most will belive and will be brought to Christ no matter what the price we pay for presenting it to the congreation. The truth is they want it but fear keeps them from being redeemed. REMEMBER PSLAM 27 READ IT DAILY.

HAVE MORE COURAGE AND SPREAD HIS MESSAGE AT ANY COST. PRAY FOR ME THAT i CAN BE MORE COURAGEOUS.

A lot of us have sit back and let unbelivers have their way, no prayer in schools,no posting of the commandments same sex marriage.

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 2:2) Why is personal courage such an important character trait for a disciple – and for a discipler? How does lack of courage prevent evangelism? How does lack of courage prevent a congregation from being healthy? What is God calling you to do that will require courage on your part?

Without courage we don't move forward; we don' grow; we don't carry out the great commission in a dark, hostile world. It's takes courage to teach to Christian values and standards to those trained in the world.

When a Christian displays courage vis-a-vis the world he glorifies God and is an effective witness to all those around him. A blessed sight.

Without courage the Gospel doesn't spread - doesn't move. Without courage we as Christians won't make those life decisions that counter the world and the Lord of this world -- satan. Without courage to change we will grow stagnant and die.

To walk a genuine, believable Christian walk in all our circumstances in this world takes courage. To practice our Christianity in all our roles - father, husband, son, leader, preacher, friend, etc. - takes courage in the face of a criticial, cynical, skepical, and dark world.

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 2:2) Why is personal courage such an important character trait for a disciple – and for a discipler?

There will always be opposition to the Gospel and to Christianity itself from the world because Satan has such a strong influence here on Earth. It takes real courage to stand up for what you believe in the workplace, your neighborhood, and in life in general.

One of the biggest risks Christians take is to share their faith with unbelievers. Evangelism is even more than sharing our faith. It's proclaiming it to others. It opens us up to ridicule and scorn and even may cause us to miss out on that promotion at work or even lose our job if enough people above us in the food chain at work are anti-Christian. Our neighbors may shun us and we may lose our unsaved friends if they don't like the new creatures we've become. Don't think is doesn't take courage to keep on serving God under those circumstances.

If too many members of a chruch congregation lack the courage to take a stand for Christ the church will be totally ineffective in the community. Outsiders do notice that a church doesn't seem to be doing anything worthwhile. They may knock us, but they still expect to see the church having an impact. If we're too scared to attempt anything to reach the community they'll pick up on that.

I believe God is calling me to live a more upright life for one thing. Believe me, it takes a bit of courage to play guitar in bars and taverns and not let my conduct, conversation, and thought patterns sink to the level of the people who frequent those establishments. To live an upright life when those around me are dedicated to drunkenness, and in some cases immorality, requires courage on my part. I never touch alcohol and folks notice that, but there's more to living upright than just teetotaling. How I interact with my audiences during my breaks, before and after the gigs when I'm setting up and dismantling the rig, and even how I handle hecklers can make or break my Christian witness.

Ans. Personal courage allows the disciple to freely speak without concern about what he knows to be true. To profess the Gospel of Jesus Christ the believer must know that greater is He that is within me than he that is in the world. Regardless ask God for boldness to speak the Word.

How can we boldly proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ if we are afraid or reluctant to speak about Him around others for what they may say or think about us. The truth sets us all free regardless if others appose of it. If the congregation lack courage than it will prevent the ministry from growing. Lack of courage prevents maturity and growth and that will eventually cause death.

• 2 weeks later...

Courage--- to tell someone about Jesus and hs teachings comes only by the Holy Spirit.

when i spend time in God's presence i am become bold and courageous to speak about the love of God to a unbeliever or a new christian.

Jesus came to give life and life in its fullness. The enemy steals , kills and destroys. The enemy tries to put all fears to speak about God and his Word to the people whom God instructs us to speak to.

at this point we require the courage and boldness that can come only from God's presence and makes our speaking effective or discipling a new christian in the ways of the Lord Jesus.

:wub: Christain courage is important because as disicipe of

christ we must tell people how to come out of darkness

it is not to be easy all the time and some time we may

have to take risk to tell someone the true.Lack of courage

prevent evanglist because you are too afraid to tell or

say anything about the gospel of christ.The congregation

is not help because everyone is afraid and they don't

have the courage that is needed.God is calling me to

to tell the true in season and out of season.

courage is vital to Christ kingdom and is also a character traits of effective disciple makers

evangelism takes you outside your home to preach the gospel and there is every tendency to meet with criticisim, opposition, treat, this is where courage steps in but in the absence of it one may not be fulfilled in ministry

it makes the leader not to obey the voice of God and not to also say the truth

to preach the truth of the gospel for people to leave sin and tell the danger of sin in a congregation where prosperity message is the order of the day

Personal courage is so very important. Without it we couldn't be a strong disciple by letting us go along with the crowd instead of standing up for my own beliefs I can't be a leader for God nor lead anyone else to become healthy. God is calling me to believe, trust, and obey by repenting and following the Word and becoming more like Jesus every way and everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend not to think courage in evangelism as a "character trait", but rather think of it as a Christian courage lest people associate it with anything born. Courage in evangelism comes from God who is the ultimate source of strength, from our faith in him, from our love of him, from us listening to his commands and doing his work. He sustains our Christian courage by "...And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age..." (Matthew 28:18-20). Paul said "...but with the help of our God we dared to tell...” If we depend on our own internal source of courage, it will not last long because we are sinners and weak. If we do not stay connected with him always, we will not last long. When we truly do his work for him, we connect with him and he is with you always, which rejuvenate us with more courage to continue his work in the face of greater opposition. It is a perpetual and ever strengthening process. I am far from where I should be and often try to muster enough of “my” own courage to do his work and have stopped short or failed to continue.

• 1 month later...

Personal courage is such an important character trait for disciple and disciple makers because our society will try to shut them down. This world does not want Christ in it and they are doing everything possible to take him out. So we have to have courage in order to evangelize. When we talk to people about Jesus all they want to do is shut us down.

The lack of courage prevents congregations from being healthy because then the preacher will soften his words that God has given him and we won’t bet the full meaning of what is being preached.

God has called me to go on mission trips and doing so is sometimes very dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

Without personal courage you would not be able to stand up for yourself or anyone else. You will be like a piece of paper flowing in the air tossing to and fro. The lack of courage prevent evangelism because you would be afraid of what others may say or do so to keep that from happening you don't evangelize at all. The lack of courage in a congregation prevents them from being healthy because, if you don't put something into your worship you will not get anything out of it. I see alot people that are to afraid to even shout "thank you Lord"! I chose to answer God call on my life over fifteen years ago and since that time God has done some amazing things in my life. It takes courage to be able to stand up before the congregation and preach. I still get nervous, but, because Christ is so awesome the lack of courage goes right out the window. I have to actually stop myself because I can go on and on. Even in evangelizing, it's like I can't keep it to myself no matter what happens or I will burst. That's how excited I get about preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Why is personal courage such an important character trait for a disciple – and for a discipler?

Personal courage is important for a disciple as without it he cannot be a follower of Christ. Life of a Christian is never a bed of roses. In fact the bible warns us to be prepared for persecution and endure the long and winding journey. It needs courage to go against the ways of the world.

For a discipler courage is important to speak to non-believers and win their hearts for Christ. He has to overcome oppression, persecution and insults thrown at him by the evil one. Without this courage he will not be able to reach the unbelievers.

If we lack courage we will not be able to speak boldly. Spreading the Good News will become a daunting task with opposition lurking everywhere. If we are caught up by fear we will not be able to evangelise. Courage gives us the boldness to carry out our mission

Being a Christian may mean that we have to go against the values and practices conforming to the world.If we don't have the courage to overcome the popular life, we will get sucked into it and this will lead to back sliding. Members in the congregation will be in a confused state not knowing the right from the wrong. Only courage can help the congregation to stand up to fight the deception and temptations of the world we live in and have a victorious life in Christ

I need courage to evangelise. I need the boldness to step into peoples' lives and tell them about my Lord and Saviour and give them an opportunity to hear the Good News.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 2:2)

1 Thessalonians 2:2 NIV

[2] We had previously suffered and been treated outrageously in Philippi, as you know, but with the help of our God we dared to tell you his gospel in the face of strong opposition.

Why is personal courage such an important character trait for a disciple -- and for a discipler? How does lack of courage prevent evangelism? How does lack of courage prevent a congregation from being healthy? What is God calling you to do that will require courage on your part?

Good questions!!!!

Interesting to think about what would have happened "if" Paul had (after Phillipi) shied away...of course the word of God wouldn't have got to the believers at Thessalonica...they knew that...(of course God's purposes for them would not have been thwarted Est 4:14 Acts 13:48)

And of course we see they themselves modelled to other believers a community of faith who were daring (in the midst of trials) to "go and make disciples..."

So Paul modelled this daring evangelistic heart (that the Lord had shown) and they followed suit...

1 Thessalonians 1:6-8 NIV

[6] You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit. [7] And so you became a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia. [8] The Lord’s message rang out from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia---your faith in God has become known everywhere. Therefore we do not need to say anything about it,

therefore there is a key connection between discipler and disciple...passing on not just knowledge but an evangelistic heart

I think its fair to say we have lost this (broad generalisation) in the 1/3rd word and the church has suffered because of it...we seem paralysed by fear...and need God's help to move us to a bit more daring!!

• 3 weeks later...

Personal courage is an important trait for a disciple if they are following in the footsteps of Christ and are to be an example of the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. Paul set a great example of this for the Thessalonians. Even after enduring some hardships and animosity for the truth he shared he then spoke of all this as an accomplished endevour for the gospel. He stood the test as he discipled others to do the same as he did. Paul was a great discipler of many and a disciple of the living Christ. Paul shows the example, stands the test and moves on to continue spreading the gospel no matter what the cost. Had Paul been any different or backed off from threats then he would have failed to evangelize the people.  This causes a spiritual void or sickness in the people. It brings insecurity and fear. I believe I am called no differenty than Paul and that is to stand with courage and continue on spreading the good news and its empowerment of the Holy Spirit in these last days. This is when heaven moves on earth in the sight of others to set a distinction between God's true disciples and the others.

• 3 weeks later...

(1 Thessalonians 2:2) Why is personal courage such an important character trait for a disciple -- and for a discipler? How does lack of courage prevent evangelism? How does lack of courage prevent a congregation from being healthy? What is God calling you to do that will require courage on your part?

Personal courge is a very important character trait for a disciple and for the discipler in that we are called to present the gospel as Jesus commanded us to do in Matthew 28:18-20. However, I feel that we are either fearful of what others may think about us or that we will ruin witnessing by being too bold like a bull in a china closet.  But I know I need to pay more that God will open up opportunities for me to witness more even if it is just saying a word or so to point to the gospel.  Lack of courage does prevent presenting the good news that is commanded us to do. This lack of courage affects congregations by not witnessing and growing as a church.  I am not sure of what God calling me, but I have been and will continue to pray  for courage for witnessing to others. 

(1 Thessalonians 2:2) Why is personal courage such an important character trait for a disciple -- and for a discipler? How does lack of courage prevent evangelism? How does lack of courage prevent a congregation from being healthy? What is God calling you to do that will require courage on your part?

As a discipler If we don't have the courage to stand for what is correct ,we will present a wattered down Gospel not the full truth makeing it weak . Then the disaple doesnt have the full truth makeing it easer to fall.

We as disciples will face opposition at every turn. Some of this opposition will come from family and friends, those that don't believe as well as from satan himself. Of we don't have the vou courage needed to face this opposition, that will tell all that our faith in God is weak and that we have doubts ourselves. It will also hinder our fight to win other souls over for Christ.

We as disciples will face opposition at every turn. Some of this opposition will come from family and friends, those that don't believe as well as from satan himself. Of we don't have the vou courage needed to face this opposition, that will tell all that our faith in God is weak and that we have doubts ourselves. It will also hinder our fight to win other souls over for Christ.

We cannot evangelize without courage, because we will be afraid to stand up to those who oppose us.

Without courage needed for a congregation to grow, it will not grow and eventually it will not be a congregation. The doors will close.

God is calling me to be a light in the midst of darkness, to use the courage He has given me to be His witness, to help my congregation stand, and to be a TRUE DISCIPLE.

• 1 month later...

1. (1 Thessalonians 2:2) Why is personal courage such an important character trait for a disciple -- and for a discipler? How does lack of courage prevent evangelism? How does lack of courage prevent a congregation from being healthy? What is God calling you to do that will require courage on your part?

Personal courage is an important trait for a disciple because as a disciple one will definitely encounter opposition because truth and faithfulness always solicit a challenge from from fear and untruth. Lack of courage will stunt the growth of a church of those who hear the gospel and those who want to hear the gospel. God is calling me to minister his Word and I refuse because of a lack of boldness . I have a lack of boldness due to not feeling worthy to serve Him.

1. (1 Thessalonians 2:2) Why is personal courage such an important character trait for a disciple -- and for a discipler? How does lack of courage prevent evangelism? How does lack of courage prevent a congregation from being healthy? What is God calling you to do that will require courage on your part?

Personal courage is an important trait for a disciple because as a disciple one will definitely encounter opposition because truth and faithfulness always solicit a challenge from from fear and untruth. Lack of courage will stunt the growth of a church of those who hear the gospel and those who want to hear the gospel. God is calling me to minister his Word and I refuse because of a lack of boldness . I have a lack of boldness due to not feeling worthy to serve Him.