JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Divorce and Remarriage

Note: Sincere Christians disagree about allowable grounds for divorce. In your discussion, be sure to show love even when you might disagree.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 7:10-16) What do these verses teach about divorce for married believers? What about divorce where one spouse isn’t a believer? What about remarriage?

• 1 month later...

Paul gave His opinion here and said his counsel to married believers was not a command from the Lord.  He essentially advised them to do whatever it takes to make their marriages work, and to eliminate divorce as an option.  This would be important to this man who also wrote that marriage is a reflection of the profound mystery of the holy union of Christ the Groom with His Bride the Church (Eph.5:31-32).  The tricky part here is that many people who think they’re saved are really “Christian” in name only.  Scripture makes it clear that a genuine conversion to faith in Christ will produce observable evidence in one’s life, and a person can profess salvation without ever actually possessing it (the core lesson of James 2:14-26).  That can make for a not-so-cut-and-dried situation where great godly wisdom and discernment are required, not to pass judgment on a person but to rightly judge the circumstances.

To a believer with an unbelieving spouse, Paul discouraged divorce as well.  The believer holds the presence of the Spirit in the home that gives the greatest hope of influence that could lead to salvation for the spouse and any children.  However, he provided the exclusion that if an unbelieving spouse determines to leave the marriage, the believer can let it go.  God does not call believers to live with an unbeliever in strife - even danger - that cannot be resolved.  Paul said in vs.15 that the believer is then no longer a servant/slave to the constraints of law on this matter.  I understand that to mean this person is no longer bound to the legal requirements of marriage and is then completely free to remarry after divorce.

What do these verses teach about divorce for married believers? UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS; IT IS ACCEPTABLE.  IT MUST NOT BE INITIATED BY THE BELIEVER.

What about divorce where one spouse isn't a believer?   IT MUST NOT BE INITIATED BY THE BELIEVER.  IF THE UNBELIEVER LEAVES; THE BELIEVER IS FREE TO REMARRY.

What about remarriage?  FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to these versus, married believers are to stay married. If they divorced, they are to stay single. If one spouse is a believer and one is not a believer and the unbliever wish to stay in the marriage, they are to stay married unless the unbeliever wishes to end the marriage. The believer must remain unmarried unless the other spouse dies or reconcile with her spouse. This is a difficult subject for me to get in to.

What do these verses teach about divorce for married believers?

If both partners are believed they are not to divorce.

I often say that Jesus said He us the groom, we are the bride, thus I can learn a lot about my relationship towards Jesus of how i am to treat my spouse and from my relationship with my spouse of how is my relationship with Jesus.

If i then want a divorce, what does this day about my faithfulness towards Jesus

What about divorce where one spouse isn't a believer?

If the spouse wants to leave, don't resist, else stay fateful

What about remarriage? Paul seems to say that if the non-believer leaves we are to re-marry, Looking at Jesus' teaching i am not to sure. If anybody were to ask me I would show what Paul and Jesus say and ask them to pray for guidance. Do not do what you want to do, do what God guides you to do.

1 Corinthians 7:10-16

Q). What do these verses teach about divorce for married believers?

A). "And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife."

(1 Corinthians 7:10-11)

#

Q). What about divorce where one spouse isn't a believer?

A). "But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart." (1 Corinthians 7:15)

#

Q). What about remarriage?

A). Paul says the believer is free to remarry: "A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace."

(1 Corinthians 7:15b)

Question 7.3

Question 7.3

It seems in verse 10 Paul is saying married believers should not divorcece. "...the husband should not divorce his wife " and" the wife should not separate from her husband. " Here it seems as if Paul is speaking of a couple who are both believers. However as the notes polnt out exodus 21.10-14 demands that a husband has a responsibility th feed, cloth and give sex for his wife. Otherwise she is free to separaye without payment.

When one of a couple is a nonbeliever than the believer has a responsibility to stay with the other spouce as long as the other is willing. For In this way the unbeliever is made holy, sanctifief by the believing spouce. ( see also Acts 16.31)

The words ' you are not bound ' (15) imply that remarriage in such cases is permissible.

Note: Sincere Christians disagree about allowable grounds for divorce. In your discussion, be sure to show love even when you might disagree.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 7:10-16) What do these verses teach about divorce for married believers?

Paul echoes Malachi 2:16: For the Lord, the God of Israel, says: I hate divorce and marital separation and him who cover his garment (his wife) with violence. Therefore keep a watch upon your spirit (that it may be controlled by My Spirit) that you deal not treacherously and faithlessly with your marriage mate".

Paul urges marital purity, fidelity, and faithfulness....and to not divorce, since the two have become one flesh.... divorce, no matter how civil, is gut wrenching and traumatic to both spouses as they are torn apart, and especially to the couples children. Paul was expressing, I believe, God's heart, to stay and allow Him to work in the marriage....short of cruelty, adultery, physical abuse, gross neglect, etc..

What about divorce where one spouse isn’t a believer?

He urges both men and women with unbelieving spouses to not divorce for this reason because the unbeliever is "set apart" through marriage to the believer.  (They were both unbelievers when they married, and now one or the other has become a Christ follower, so he urges them to stay and allow the Lord to work within the marriage.

What about remarriage?

Paul urges a divorced woman to stay single or to reconcile with her spouse.

In the Old testament, women had no rights...were merely chattel. A husband could divorce his wife for "burning the toast", by simply saying "I divorce you" three times and kicking her out into the street. Women had no means of support without a husband so this cruelty broke God's heart. Perhaps Paul's admonition was for her safety, as well as for her to not become a financial burden to the church.

Married believers should not divorce.  Perhaps separate and remain married or restore the marriage.

Unbelieving spouses can choose to leave the marriage and believers should let them go.  But if they wish to stay married, then God will bless their family.

Remarriage is allowed if the spouse has died.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 7:10-16) 

What about remarriage?

For married believers Paul was teaching what our Lord Jesus had already taught; that divorce was forbidden except on the ground of unfaithfulness (Matthew 5:32, 19:9). Generally the wife is not to separate from her husband. However, there might be extreme cases where it might be necessary for a wife to leave her husband. In such a case, she is obligated to remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband. Separation does not break the marriage tie, but it does allow for the opportunity for the Lord to heal the differences, and hopefully restore both parties to fellowship with Him and with one another. The husband is commanded not to divorce his wife. No exception is made in his case. In Paul’s teachings on divorce where one partner is not a believer he says that if the wife is a non-believer and as long as she is willing to stay with the husband, he is not to divorce her. The same applies if the husband is a non-believer. Paul feels that the unbelieving partner and the children will be made holy by association. However, if the non-believer wants to divorce, it should be agreed to, as they will no longer be bound to each other. They are then free to re-marry. But he does feel it would be better for a believer to remain with an unbelieving partner because of the sanctifying influence of a Christian in the home. There is also the possibility that the believer may win the unbeliever to Christ. 

Q3. (1 Corinthians 7:10-16) What do these verses teach about divorce for married believers?

God's plan for marriage between believers is that they stay together in the marriage bond, but, if there is no peace and they decide to depart, God desires that they remain unmarried in hopes that they might be reconciled to each other.

If a spouse is not a believer and desires to depart, the believing spouse is not in bondage to the marriage; however, if the spouse that does not believe desires to be married, God would like the believing spouse not to depart.

What about remarriage?

God's desire is that all marriages work, however, for those who have tried to make the marriage work and decide it would be better to depart, it would be better for them to remain single, but, if they are not able to remain single, it would be better for them to marry than to continue to burn with sexual desires. 

God's plan for marriage between believers is that they stay together in the marriage bond, but, if there is no peace and they decide to depart, God desires that they remain unmarried in hopes that they might be reconciled to each other.

If a spouse is not a believer and desires to depart, the believing spouse is not in bondage to the marriage; however, if the spouse that does not believe desires to be married, God would like the believing spouse not to depart.

What about remarriage?

God's desire is that all marriages work, however, for those who have tried to make the marriage work and decide it would be better to depart, it would be better for them to remain single, but, if they are not able to remain single, it would be better for them to marry than to continue to burn with sexual desires. 

For believers, there should not be any consideration for divorce except in specific instances such as unfaithfulness. Every attempt should be made to stay married because what God has joined together, no man should try to separate. If a divorce does occur by mutual consent the believer should remain unmarried.

In the case of a believer being married to an unbeliever, the believer should not divorce the unbeliever if he/she is willing to stay in the marriage. The hope would be that the unbeliever would come to faith and that Godly offspring would come out of the marriage from the example of the believer. The unbelieving spouse is sanctified by the believers faith and his or hers willingness to stay in the marriage. If though, the unbeliever wants to separate, the believing spouse should let them go and they are free to remarry.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 7:10-16) What do these verses teach about divorce for married believers? What about divorce where one spouse isn’t a believer? What about remarriage?

1 Corinthians 7:10-16 teaches that divorce between married believers should not be allowed except if one of them commits adultery. If they divorce they should not remarry. If possible they should reconcile with one another. By reconciling, if the wife has offended her husband, he should out of love forgive her just as our Lord has forgiven us of our sin's. And if it was the husband that offended the wife then she should forgive him as the Lord has forgiven us. Of course all this depends on the fact that the person that has sinned is truly repentant.

Concerning divorce when one of the spouse's is not a believer, it should be up to the unbeliever who wants to separate. It would not be a sin for the believer to divorce and could possibly remarry again. The Lord wishes us to live in peace. It should never be the believer to file for the divorce, because you would never know if the unbeliever were to later become a believer and do not know what the lord has planned for them.

Believing couples who have divorced should not remarry another person. Then they would be committing adultery. When one of the divorced spouses dies, then the other is released to remarry. A divorced believing couple should reconcile their marriage if possible. If they can find love and forgive one another. If being divorced because of an unbeliever, it would be permissible for the believer to remarry. I would think at least this time they would marry a believer.            

If there is no chance for reconcilliation they should remain unmarried if they just divorce because they hate each other's guts. If one spouse has been unfaithful and they separate for that reason and that other spouse is with someone else, my reading of the passage suggests the other party in the divorce can re-marry.

What about divorce where one spouse isn’t a believer?

If the non-believer is willing to remain married to the believer they should stay together. If the non-believer leaves because he/she can't handle the beliefs of the believing partner, the believer is free to re-marry.

What about remarriage?

I think I covered that in my previous answers above.

I knew a very Godly Christian lady, my best friend's mother, who was married to a drunken non-believer. She never left him. In his old age he mended his ways and became a Christian. She never gave up on him.

On the other hand:

My own sister's first husband was a pastor's son who'd given up completely on the things of the Lord. In the note he wrote her when he left her he said he'd had enough of her and her religion. I believe God prompted him to include that in the goodbye note so she could find happiness in a second chance, which in fact she did.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 7:10-16) What do these verses teach about divorce for married believers? What about divorce where one spouse isn't a believer? What about remarriage?

Paul teaches that:

1. A Christian husband and wife should stay married. That if any of the spouses divourse the other, he/ she must stay unmarried.

2. If a non believing spouse wants to stay, the believing spouse should allow him/ her to remain married. If the non believing spouse wants to leave, he/ she should be allowed to go.

a,    A wife must not separate from her husband.

b,      If she is separated she must remain unmarried or be reconciled.

c,     A husband must not divorce his wife.

What about divorce where one spouse isn't  a believer?

a,    He/she must not divorce her/him if that spouse is willing to live as a couple.

b,    Not to initiate "divorce by separation".

What about remarriage?

It is good for them to remain celibate but if the desires are great should remarry to a Christian.

Strictly speaking divorce among Christians is allowed if adultery is involved per Jesus.  Divorce is not permitted nor is it proper just because a spouse is not a Christian. 

Remarriage is permitted where adultery is not involved.

What do these verses teach about divorce fo married believer?

Paul says that you are not to divorce, but if you do Paul says not to remarry. Like Brother Ralph, said there are so many controversial outlooks on this subject that time would not permit indulging into them. What I believe is that pray sincerely about what you do pertaining to the reason of the divorce and work out your own salvation between you and your Savior.

What about divorce where one spouse isn't a believer? The same applies as to the question above.

What about remarriage? This is another question with many different views, but therear so many people that was married when both were sinners and divorced will they were both in sin. Like I said, there are many different applications and reasons why divorce happens. Work it out with God i sincerity and with much prayer, stay full of the Holy Ghost and He will direct your footsteps 

GOD BLESS YOU. BROTHER MIKE.

I think that these verses teaches us that divorce for married believers should be avoided. But there is always circumstances when this is not possible. A divorce where one spouse isn’t a believer the believing spouse should not be the one that initiates the divorce. It seems to me if the divorce was for a legal reason the remarriage should be allowed. But then we would come up with all kinds of reasons that we think that it was ok to divorce.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 7.10-16) What do these verses teach about divorce for married believers? What about divorce where on spouse is not a believer? What about remarriage?

Paul turns to the matter of divorce where he accentuates the LORD's stance in stating that the believing wife should not separate from a believing husband and that the husband should not divorce a believing wife.  However, simultaneously Roman law permitted either a husband or a wife to initiate a divorce with no state cause required...Paul's stance violates Roman law but support the command of the LORD.

This chapters verses on this subject provide the following information:  v. 10-11 (do not separate, but if you do, seek reconcilation); v. 12-13 (if the unbelieving spous consents to stay, do not seek divorce); v. 15 (if the unbelieving spouse separates/leaves the marriage, the believer is not bound/is free to remarry; v. 39 (if a spouse dies, the one who lives is free to remarry but only to another believer-Romans 7.1-4).

• 3 weeks later...

1.   A wife should not separate from her husband, but if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

What about divorce where one spouse isn’t a believer? What about remarriage?     

2.  If ... he/she is willing to live with her/him, he/she must not divorce. 

• 10 months later...

The only way that Christian married believers can divorce is if the spouse does not supply food, clothing and other marital rights. A wife or husband can and should leave if there is abuse to them or the children if spiritual counseling does not work. However, all efforts should be taken to keep the marriage together. In the case of an unbelieving spouse, only that person should decide on the divorce and leave. The believing spouse should work to keep the marriage together. I believe that only the words found in the Jewish divorce certificate or the Greco-Roman ones state that "you are free to marry any man you wish" would show that you can remarry.

• 6 years later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 7:10-16)

According to v 10 and 11  the wife is not to separate from the husband.  but then comes the big but    remain single or be reconciled

This is possibly because some had the notion suddenly to remain celibate and would possibly in due course realize that that was not God's intention but that it was a misinterpretation of what they had heard in the assembly.

This was also the same for the husband.

According to v 12 to 16 they should stay together as before.  The possibility for the unbelieving partner to change course is often greater when staying together and experiencing the love of God through the believing partner than if they parted just on the grounds of becoming a believer but still living happily together. should this of course not be the case and there is strife etc, then they are free to divorce or separate.

What about remarriage?

I guess that is a very debatable subject. Each case is different.

Unfortunately not all believers handle their wives as per Scripture, I guess and vice-versa. 

I am just reminded again of that little song

He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be.

• 1 year later...

Most non-Christians live together rather than get married. Obviously, they have sex and have, in some sense, been made "one" with each other. I'm trying to get at the idea that marriage is a political and legal contract as well as a spiritual bond. People live together for years because they are afraid of the legal ramifications of marriage. But in God's eyes, are they married? 

I think Pastor Ralph's ideas on divorce and remarriage are correct.