JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Fully God

Yes Jesus is fully God because of the trinity which means God the Father,God the Son, and God the

Holy Spirit.

Jesus is the Word because He prexisted before creation and He took part in the creation.

His ministry was to become our Savior and teach us be a servant to God by doing the will of the Father.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is Jesus fully God absolutely ,John clearly tells us that in the beginning before anything existed the Logos the word was the Word existed and that Word is God himself. Not only did he pre exist all things but he was the Creator of all things.

What this means to me about his ministry is that we can trust and follow the Logos the Word to leads us to the light to life.

Thank you Jesus.

• 1 month later...

According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God?

Yes Jesus is fully God.

Verse 1:1 says "and the Word was God". Later in verse 1:14, it says "and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us". That seems to indicate that Jesus was fully God, and it was He who walked among men for a brief time. The question regarding Jesus is how could He exist as both God and Man at the same time? I suppose it is taken on faith, since that is the truth which the Scriptures proclaim. Later we learn that Jesus 'set aside' His Godly attributes and walked fully as a man. I believe that when Jesus (the man) was baptized in the Jordan River, the Holy Spirit came upon Him exactly in the same way the Spirit comes into us when we first believe. What that means to me is, amazingly, Jesus essentially became the first Christian! (that could be a trick question - who was the first Christian?). That pattern makes sense to me since Jesus was providing for us an example of how all believers would live. In that context, the only difference between all of us and Jesus (after HIs Baptism) is that He never sinned. He listened and obeyed exactly what the Father told Him (via the Holy Spirit living within HIm) and never disobeyed. He always did exactly what the Father said and fulfilled His mission perfectly. As for us - we sin over and over practically every day (at least I do) even after becoming a Christian. Fortunately for us, God provides forgiveness of sins when we confess them and repent (change directions). Jesus never had to ask for forgiveness and repent for Himself because he never sinned (He was tempted but did not sin). How great is that? 

What does it mean that Jesus is the “Word”?

It means that Jesus is the very expression of God's thoughts, plans, wisdom, and desires. The Greek word Logos (the Word) seems to refer to that part of God which are His thoughts, thinking, and expressions. Words are carriers of thoughts, and they reveal what's on our mind. The words we speak make our thoughts known to the world. What is amazing with God is that when speaks, He literally creates (and God said. Let there be light...). What better way to express yourself than to create! When God speaks - amazing things happen. And here's the kicker: God's expression, through Words, is what the Bible claims is Jesus!! Jesus is the the very 'Word of God'. Jesus therefore is the 'expression of God' to the created order. So for us to know God, we must know His Word, that is, Jesus. Apparently, they both are the same. It makes you wonder how important are the words that we speak? I think we must be very careful with how we speak - both to ourselves and to others. Just like God, our words have a certain 'creative power', We can't call a universe into being - but we do create by speaking. How we talk to ourselves and to others has an effect on how they turn out. This is amazing! As one pastor teaches, we must "speak in the direction we want our life to go". Wow, let's all remember the power of our words!

What does this say about him and his ministry? 

It says that Jesus was God from the very beginning. All of the Father's thoughts, knowledge, and eternal and infinite wisdom are expressed in Jesus. Jesus is the manifestation of Gods mind. And so the ministry of Jesus was one of 'revealing' the will of the Father to all of us. Thank you Lord that you loved us so much that you gave us Jesus so we could receive the light of understanding and have the abundant life both here on earth and in the age to come!

According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God?

Yes Jesus is fully God.

Verse 1:1 says "and the Word was God". Later in verse 1:14, it says "and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us". That seems to indicate that Jesus was fully God, and it was He who walked among men for a brief time. The question regarding Jesus is how could He exist as both God and Man at the same time? I suppose it is taken on faith, since that is the truth which the Scriptures proclaim. Later we learn that Jesus 'set aside' His Godly attributes and walked fully as a man. I believe that when Jesus (the man) was baptized in the Jordan River, the Holy Spirit came upon Him exactly in the same way the Spirit comes into us when we first believe. What that means to me is, amazingly, Jesus essentially became the first Christian! (that could be a trick question - who was the first Christian?). That pattern makes sense to me since Jesus was providing for us an example of how all believers would live. In that context, the only difference between all of us and Jesus (after HIs Baptism) is that He never sinned. He listened and obeyed exactly what the Father told Him (via the Holy Spirit living within HIm) and never disobeyed. He always did exactly what the Father said and fulfilled His mission perfectly. As for us - we sin over and over practically every day (at least I do) even after becoming a Christian. Fortunately for us, God provides forgiveness of sins when we confess them and repent (change directions). Jesus never had to ask for forgiveness and repent for Himself because he never sinned (He was tempted but did not sin). How great is that? 

What does it mean that Jesus is the “Word”?

It means that Jesus is the very expression of God's thoughts, plans, wisdom, and desires. The Greek word Logos (the Word) seems to refer to that part of God which are His thoughts, thinking, and expressions. Words are carriers of thoughts, and they reveal what's on our mind. The words we speak make our thoughts known to the world. What is amazing about God is that when He speaks, He literally creates (and God said. Let there be light...). What better way to express yourself than to create! When God speaks - amazing things happen. And here's the kicker: God's expression, through Words, is what the Bible claims is Jesus!! Jesus is the the very 'Word of God'. Jesus therefore is the 'expression of God' to the created order. So for us to know God, we must know His Word, that is, Jesus. Apparently, they both are the same. It makes you wonder how important are the words that we speak? I think we must be very careful with how we speak - both to ourselves and to others. Just like God, our words have a certain 'creative power', We can't call a universe into being - but we do create by speaking. How we talk to ourselves and to others has an effect on how things turn out. That is amazing! As one pastor teaches, we must "speak in the direction we want our life to go". Wow, let's all remember the power of our words!

It says that all of the Father's thoughts, knowledge, and infinite wisdom are expressed in Jesus. Jesus is the manifestation of Gods mind. And so the ministry of Jesus was one of 'revealing' the will of the Father to all of us. Thank you Lord that you loved us so much that you gave us Jesus so we could receive the light of understanding and have the abundant life both here on earth and in the age to come!

• 5 weeks later...

I enjoyed reading the post. The Trinity seems to be apart of understanding Jesus as fully Divine or God. I read somewhere that there is one God. God is three persons and each person has a different role. These three persons are in complete agreement in all things. Like the followers of Christ in Jesus ministry. I believe we tend to see things with physical rather than spiritual eyes. We will not truly understand until we leave today's world and pass through the veil.

Grayson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God? What does it mean that Jesus is the “Word”? What does this say about him and his ministry?

John leaves no doubt Jesus is fully God. Jesus is being presented as the Creator. The is why John refers to Jesus as the Word. God spoke and Jesus created. Jesus entered the physical world to show man the true nature of God. God is Spirit and is beyond the physical. Because of this man could never truly know God. Jesus, by becoming flesh, was able to give the apostles a deep understanding of who God is and how He cares for us. This is the purpose of Jesus' ministry.

• 1 year later...

When I think about Apostle John and his gospel I find his writings energize in me a spirituality that awakens my soul. My mind inherently transcends into the true mystery of faith which God and the Trinity has bestowed on me. As I read his gospel my comprehension of time and space fades into oblivion. I cannot find the words to fully describe the various personal emotional and psycho-spiritual encounters I have experienced over my lifetime. New awakenings still surprise me to this day. I am sure there are countless others in the Faith who have had similar experiences. 

Returning to the questions related to John 1:1-3

My introductory paragraph above was itself a new creation made possible through the ‘word’.  I am not referring to the same “Word” using in John’s gospel.

My words formed a new creation in thought never before expressed on paper.  We as humans make use of our language, words and symbols, as the prime means of comprehending our existence and how our ‘being’ interrelates with others and the world around us. Our thoughts can only be channeled into reality through the ‘word’. For the newly born infant, hearing another human voice, regardless of what language they speak, has a deep psycho-spiritual connection to their well-being sustaining life itself.

Think for moment that you are being overwhelmed with pain. You are trapped in some deep dark cavern and there is no light. You have given up all hope of being rescued. Your breathing is heavy and with each passing second you feel the life force in your body fading – will the next breath be your last.

Then you hear a human voice calling your name. It starts out very faint but gradually gets stronger and stronger. Then you see a flash of light bouncing off the cavern walls.Your spirit and your body are instantly re-energized and you know help is on the way. You are going to live.

In the same way the incomprehensible, unfathomable mind of God becomes a human reality through the “Word of Life” - through the incarnation of God becoming man in His Son Jesus Christ.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (John 1:1-3) a. According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God?  b. What does it mean that Jesus is the “Word”?  c.What does this say about him and his ministry?

a. Astonishingly yes! -  Jesus is fully God. I once struggled with this statement, however without a doubt this is what the Bible teaches. Jesus is the very Son of God, and He is God!  He and the Father are one. (There are realities that we as human beings cannot comprehend because God exists in dimensions that we cannot see or know with our human faculties, however He is there, and He is not silent.

b. Jesus is God’s communication. He is God’s expression to a desperately needy world. God speaks through the Word, He created all things by and through “the Word”.

c. Jesus teaches us about God, He shares God’s love for the world, He speaks and reveals God’s words to us.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God? What does it mean that Jesus is the “Word”? What does this say about him and his ministry?

According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God?  Jesus is God.  He is not a god, but God who came down in the flesh to show us God on a personal level. 

What does it mean that Jesus is the “Word”? What does this say about him and his ministry? It means that all parts of the Bible point back to Jesus.  The prophecy of the messiah, the end of days, the creation and all parts in between speak of Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The answer to this question is found by first understanding the reason why John wrote his gospel. We find his purpose clearly stated in John 20:30-31. By starting out his gospel stating, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God,” John is introducing Jesus with a word or a term that both his Jewish and Gentile readers would have been familiar with. The Greek word translated “Word” in this passage is Logos, and it was common in both Greek philosophy and Jewish thought of that day. So, essentially, what John is doing by introducing Jesus as the Logos is drawing upon a familiar word and concept that both Jews and Gentiles of his day would have been familiar with and using that as the starting point from which he introduces them to Jesus Christ. But John goes beyond the familiar concept of Logos that his Jewish and Gentile readers would have had and presents Jesus Christ not as a mere mediating principle like the Greeks perceived, but as a personal being, fully divine, yet fully human.

• 2 months later...

Yes according to John the Lord Jesus is fully God and fully man. According to Adam Clarke's commentary it says that He existed before creation. What was before creation, must be eternal, as what gave being to all things, could not have borrowed or derived its being from any thing, therefore Jesus who was before all things and who made all things, must necessarily be the Eternal God. Or existed the Logos. This term should be left untranslated, for the same reason why the names Jesus and Christ are left untranslated. The first I consider as proper an apellative of the Savior of the world as I do the either the last two. (Clarke, A. 2015) 

It says that only through could He save people from their sins, heal them from their sickness, and raise the dead. 

• 5 months later...

John in his opening remarks to his gospel says that in the beginning was the word. The words “in the beginning” transports us way back to Genesis. But in the phraseology John uses, he says before creation happened Word was. In the beginning was the word. This implies that the word was continuing even before creation began.

Jewish minds explained what God did by His word. That is why we often read in the Old Testament, the word of God came unto… They believed that His word was responsible for everything. In the Targum, which is the Aramaic translation and commentary of the Hebrew Bible, the term for “Word” is “memra” which is the self-expression of God. When they read from the Targum, the name of God was replaced with “memra” thus equating God with His word. The Greeks on the other hand believed that the word, logos, was the reason for having an ordered universe. They believed that the universe was steered through the word. John embraced both the secular and religious view of the word and described that this word was Jesus.  

John 1 says that the word was with God. In Greek it is “pros ton theon” which means face to face or describes the intimate association with the Father, yet distinguished from the Father. Both, (in fact the Holy Spirit too), are individuals in the Godhead and hence Jesus is fully God. He is the word, who is God, embodied in the flesh. Now John, himself, in his epistle says those who do not believe that the divine God came in the flesh are considered to be a deceiver.

In John 1:3, we read that all things were created by Him. In Colossians 1:16, we read that all things were created by Him and for Him. For His pleasure we were created (Revelation 4:11). He redeemed us back to Himself through His blood and there is forgiveness of our sins through Him. Now, He is interceding for us at the right hand of the Father. When the time is right, He will set up His millennial reign on this earth and rule as the King of kings and the Lord of lords.

• 1 month later...

John recognizes Jesus as being fully God.  In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God.  Jesus is the word of God.  Jesus and God are one,  They were in the beginning and shall be forever, AMEN.  And the word was made flesh. Jesus , God's word was sent as flesh into the world.  We may not understand it, but we must believe it, for God said so, therefor it is true.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God? Yes.  John 1:1 says,  "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

What does it mean that Jesus is the "Word"?  It means that Jesus is the Word of God who created all things in the beginning.  John 1:2-3 say, He was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  

It means He has a creative ministry. God spoke light into the darkness and created things that were good.   I think of how God said that life and death are in the power of the tongue. Jesus did creative miracles.  Many things came to mind about our words,but James 3 came to mind the most.  Jesus had a creative ministry but then He passed the baton to us His church.  On the Day of Pentecost, tongues of fire fell on the 120 in the upper room.  They came out praising God in all languages.  God inhabits the praises of His people.  Isaiah said that he was a man of unclean lips living among a people with unclean lips.  An angel took a coal of fire and touched his lips to cleanse them.  Snakes were released when they murmured and complained.  They had to look at the snake on the pole, representing Jesus, to be healed.  I am putting James 3 here because it shows how our tongues can be used for God or for the enemy.  Jesus commended the centurion for his faith because He said, Only say the word and my servant will be healed.  Our words create for good or for evil.  God said that Adam and Eve were very good.  He told them not to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.  The enemy said, 'Did God really say?' 

James 3:

1Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.

3When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

7All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, 8but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Two Kinds of Wisdom

13Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

17But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2014 at 5:10 AM, Singergram said:

I am falling behind already in this study, but I will try to catch up today.

1. Is Jesus fully God?

I believe that Jesus is fully God, but I do not understand how this can be so. My husband and I just celebrated our 49th anniversary, and in many ways, we are one in heart and mind, but we also have very different personalities, opinions, and thoughts. I don't know if this is a good beginning to understanding how Jesus and God can be the same, but it is one of the best experiences in my life that approaches this understanding. I suppose that my husband and I cannot be considered "fully" one, as can the persons in the trinity; this is where my attempt at understanding this relationship bogs down. However, I attribute my failure to fully comprehend this concept as a human limitation that will one day be removed when I am able to see "face to face."

2. What does it mean that Jesus is the "Word"? What does this say about him and his ministry?

As this physical creation in which we exist was borne of a word from God ("God said. . ."), Jesus as God was/is inherent in all of the creation process. He is the beginning of all that we know of God, and as such, is the communication of the nature of God to man. His ministry includes, in Milton's words, the intention to "justify the ways of God to man." Because our finite existence is incapable of fully comprehending the infinite nature of God and the spiritual universe, we need concrete images to even begin to conceptualize what it means to have faith in God and live by faith. Jesus gives us that as he ministers during his time on earth. This raises a question in my mind about those who lived before Jesus came to earth. It sometimes astounds me that there were ANY men and women of faith before Jesus--but I suppose God's direct communication with the patriarchs and prophets was powerful enough to engender faith. 

In Genesis meaning "origin or beginning" trace events such as creation, the fall of man, the flood, and establishing of the nations,  spans approximately 2,400 years up to the time when the Israelites arrive in Egypt. God created everything, infinite Spirit of God revealed via voices, burning bush as heard and seen by Moses, God's attributes of omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent in his ways. Because of the fall of man - Adam & Eve (Carnal or Natural man) disobeyed God, became enslaved by satan, spiritually died and separated from God permanently, this saddened God. Adam & Eve bore sons Cain & Abel - Cain killed Abel, the Seth was born from him came Noah used by God to save his creation, Abraham & Sarah via promise from God born Isaac several generations came thereafter. Infinite God revealed himself in the flesh - Jesus born of a virgin - promised Savior/Messiah, grew up and walked with men. In short - Creation was designed by God for his glory spoiled by the fall; so Redemption by God himself manifested in his Son Jesus Christ sinless but took our sins and died on the cross, risen on the 3rd day to defeat death and satan, a perfect sacrifice for God's glory, gifted us free - made righteous to be reconciled with God. God did this for mankind to see, touch, walk, speak with God in the flesh (Spiritual Man) as a model for us to follow and live our lives in God/Jesus. This is God's free gift of Salvation - Eternal Life, only way is "faith" be born again in our Lord Jesus Christ.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/7/2014 at 1:04 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To help you internalize and apply what you’re learning from John’s Gospel, I’ve included several Discussion Questions in each lesson. These are designed to help you think about and ponder the most important points. Don’t skip this. It’s best to write them out. You can post your answers – and read what others have written – by going to the online forum by clicking on the URL below each question. (Before you can post your answer the first time, you’ll need to register. You can find instructions at http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/instructions.htm

Jesus called Himself the "Word" because He was everything that God wanted to say to man, in the flesh.

• 6 months later...

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God?

• Jesus is fully God and fully man; He is God incarnate or God in the flesh.  What does it mean that Jesus is the "Word"?

If in the beginning the “Word” was with God and the Word was God, then this means that Jesus was already with God during creation; He did not come into existence only when He became flesh.

• What does this say about him and his ministry?

This says of Jesus that He was perfect, He was above reproach; he was able to overcome Satan and his temptations that are attractive to the flesh and are plentiful in this world. About His ministry, it says that He was therefore, the perfect teacher and model for our lives; if we believe in His message that He is the Christ, the Son of God, then on earth we shall have and live life abundantly, and in the life hereafter eternal life with Him. If we allow Him into our hearts whilst on this earth, we can confidently assert with Paul: “I am crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.” Thank You Jesus. Amen.

• 2 months later...

Jesus is the thoughts of God expressed. When God thought about the world, Jesus spoke those thoughts, and the world came into existence. When God thought about what mankind would be and look like, act like, be like, etc., Jesus spoke those thoughts and man and woman came into existence.

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God? What does it mean that Jesus is the "Word"? What does this say about him and his ministry?

Yes, Jesus is fully God. The "Word" means Jesus co-existed with the Father at the beginning of the creation. Therefore Jesus is fully divine God. 

If the word "Word" proves that Jesus is God, we are assured that His words and his ministry are divine and true. We can put our faith and hope to Jesus as true and living God.

• 3 months later...