JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Becoming Flesh

This is the reason for our salvation because it was in His flesh that He paid the penalty for our numerous sins. He also declared on the cross while experiencing the excruciating pain in His flesh; "It is finished" Praise be unto God.

Null and Void.

The grace that saved me and give me a new hope and beginning in life.

Yeah! The grace that transformed me from being a shy, timid person to become a preacher/teacher/speaker of His word of truth publicly anytime and anywhere. Oh! God; thank you.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God communicated through various people in the old Testament, usually prophets who were told to give specific messages. Butility no ever saw God. Jesus is both God and the Ffather's unique Son. In Christ, God revealed his nature and essence in a way that could be seen and touched.In Christ, God become a man who lived earth.

The word become human. By doing so ChristCChrist became the prefect teacher . The prefect example as model of what we to became, he shows us how to live and gives us the power to live. The prefect sacrifice for all our sins and his death satisfied God's requirement for the removal of sin.

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God "becoming flesh" so important to the basis of the Christian faith? What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh"? In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

We are luky to be here now, to know all that happened in His life from the Bible and hearing it from others who love the Bible. All this allows us to believe that He was God in the Flesh. He fulfilled many things documented by prophets who were almost all killed for speaking the truth and telling people to repent and return to God. 

I am blessed to understand the truth and to learn to let go of lies that lived in my mind. He has hanged me forever, and I hope to walk slowly enough to be more sure of doing his will. When I take the time like this, I know that He has and is still changing me as much as I will let His, as much as I trust Him to run my life every day. His grace so beautiful and is amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

The idea of God "becoming flesh" is important to the basis of the Christian faith because, He needed to become flesh and blood in order to save us from our sins.

If God was only pretending to "become flesh" then Christ's crucifixion and resurrection would be empty and meaningless. We would be without hope and would die in our sins with no chance of redemption.

• 3 weeks later...

If Jesus had not come in the flesh, to be one of us, then he could not have suffered as we suffer, he could not have understood our suffering, or better yet we could not have believed or understood how he could suffer for us, to save us. His life and crucifixion would have not meant what is is supposed to be - because we would have believed in his divinity but not in his ability to suffer on the cross, or whether he was actually there in body and spirit. I have experienced his grace in my life, in the life of my past wife, may her soul rest in peace, in my ministry and in those I have seen suffer, recover and glorify God for their being. The grace I have experience in my missionary work in the Dominican Republic as well as in West Virginia to the Hispanic community, and in Florida and now in Tennessee. I have had difficulty in staying in a state of grace, but I know that when I repent and confess my weakness I am brought back into grace with my Lord and Savior. Before my baptism, I did not know God, and did not feel that God was in my life, but the death of my wife's son brought her back to the church, and in turn brought me into the church, and into the ministry I am in now.  I cannot imagine not knowing and having God in my life now.  I really don't know how I made it through life without him before.I am a better, kinder, hopefully, loving individual that I was then. I actually care about people now, and want and need there love.

• 1 month later...

We need to believe that God knows exactly what we are going through on a daily basis. We want to know that someone else really understands how hard it is. We need an example to try and live up to. We need another human to compare ourselves to. It is easier for us to be able to follow another human.

If Christ came to earth and pretended to go through everything, He  would not have had any more stand than a pagan god. There would be no true trust or faith in Him.

My whole world got turned upside down at times. But He was always there for me. I have been able to come back to Him on a number of occassions and feel His love around me.

I have found a new peace in my world. I have grown so much in my personal relationship with Him. I now am able to walk my own path in life and not the ways of the world. My eyes and  heart and soul have been opened up for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is the idea of God "becoming flesh" so important to the basis of the Christian faith?

One reason is to have a way to know that He is God.

What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh"?

He wouldn't be the real thing and we couldn't get saved or even have eternal life.

In what ways have you personally experienced his grace?

My salvation, His forgiveness of my sins and HIs constant growing me and protecting me.

In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

I think about HIm often and want to be a witness and have a good testimony.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Jesus' humanity is one of the greatest historical and biblical events to ever occur.  He came to us as flesh and blood so that He could completely identify Himself with the human race.  His “becoming flesh” served to tie earth to heaven and was God's greatest disclosure of Himself to man. In Jesus was everything that God wanted to communicate to mankind.  2)  John said “All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.”  Without His “becoming flesh” we wouldn’t have an advocate who understands our human weaknesses and temptations and can sympathize with those weaknesses.  Jesus opened a direct line, through prayer, to God.  It was His death and resurrection that delivered the grace with which we can come confidently before His throne when our earthly lives end and our heavenly lives begin.  3)  His grace has brought me through the hardest times of my life.  Every time I found my back against the wall, even though I know full well that I didn't deserve his help, He saw my pain and answered my prayers.  It wasn’t an overnight transformation but He never gave up on me and , I’ll NEVER give up on Him.  4)  I’m a Vietnam veteran who suffered from PTSD.  It was His truth that brought me from seeking relief in the world to seeking heavenly relief through His love and His grace.  He brought me from a lost life of drugs and alcohol to a point where I’m now actively serving my church in His ministry and loving every moment of it.

It is very important that Jesus Christ die for us sins. If he didn't we all will be doomed to hell because our nature we was born into sin. There was only one way for us and that is by the perfect lamb of God. We can only be saved His blood had to be to spilled out for us. Thank you Jesus Christ for dying for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is the idea of God "becoming flesh" so important to the basis of the Christian faith?

God sending His Son, Jesus, instead of Himself shows the depth of His love for us. It would be much easier for me to give-up my life for a cause then to send my most beloved.

"For God so loved the world that HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON (JESUS) that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

In addition, God knew what men would do to Him. You cannot possibly love someone more than that can you? God not only loves us, but He believes in us, all His children.

What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh?"

It would mean nothing.

It was imperative that Christ be born into humanty so He could grow just as we are born and grow. He went through the sufferings and temptations as all men of that time did. Being human, He went through the trials and tribulations as His neighbors did. Only because He is divine nature and having His Father behind Him, He was able to stay without sin and perfect, unlike the rest of men. Because He was born in flesh, He knew what living as a man was like.

People had to see the truth, and the only way they could see the truth was to see how Jesus lived as a man (and a divine being), and how He died as a man, but more intensely. Then, there was the natural violent aftermath of His death and finally - the resurrection. Most people had to see to believe, but then only a few did.

I don't ever remember not believing in God and Jesus. Even as a little child I believed. They have never left me, especially in my trials and tribulations. A lifetime of living in emotional abuse, etc. took me someplace no-one should ever have to go. The doctors told me, "No husband would do that to theirr wife." Wrong, and there was proof. Anyway, after 15 years of suicide attempts and agonizing despair, because of God's grace I am coming back. I have never blamed God for my problems, only my bad choices and satan.

God has given me so much more through His grace than I suffered in despair (and that was unbearable). I am closer to Him since the suffering and because of the suffering. That is so much more than anything on earth. I love my God and my Saviour so much - there are no words to express it, only feelings which are endless.

In what ways has his truth changed your life fromwhat it was?

I have known the truth for as long as I can remember. Experiencing the truth is continually bringing me closer to God, more knowledgeable and a littler wise. I pray I continue to grow in His love, truth and wisdom.

The idea of becoming flesh is crucial to Christian faith. In the beginning God created man and women and gave them authority in all earth. In addition God daily fellowshipped with us. We however gave our authority over to Satan and at that time fellowship with our Creator was broken. We were separated from God. God could not go back on His Word and take our authority back and restore fellowship with Him. It had to be done through a "human". Without God becoming flesh we would have forever been under Satan's dominion and eternally separated from God the Father. I experience His grace everyday that I get up and take another breath. I experience His grace when I fail Him, walk far from Him, ignore Him for days, weeks, months at a time and then He continues to love me, speak to me and never give up on me or leave me. I am a work in progress, and His truth continues to change me when I allow it to. My problem is allowing myself to be clay in the Potter's hands and letting the Truth have His way in me.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God “becoming flesh” so important to the basis of the Christian faith? What would Christ’s life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to “become flesh”? In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

After serving in many countries I have seen that people living where our God is not known; live in constant and great fear of 'angry gods' and the spirits of their ancestors, or ghost etc.  God made Himself real and visible to us in Jesus our Lord.  As Paul said 'We have seen him', John said 'we have seen His glory'.  Jesus dispelled all superstitions and fears by coming and showing us the truth, of what God is like... and that He loves us and has a great future for each of us. 

I have experienced His grace in so many ways; big and small.  Every day as I inhale a breath of fresh air I thank Him for giving me this day AND for abiding with me and in me today through His Holy Spirit.  I know He will guide, help and strengthen me for the battles of this day... I guess there is so much more.

My life has been turned upside down by His grace, love and mercy. He has healed me of so many issues from my childhood and continues to give me His confidence and strength for each day. I am His child; my value and identity is in Him -- not the opinions of others .   Sinful habits don't have the same hold on me and as I get older they diminish even more -- praise the Lord. (but they are always still around!)

Now I write children's adventure books to help kids learn to trust their heavenly Father too (www.denisshuker.com)

Love and blessings to all ... 

God is Holy, pure and perfect. Man is not. God became flesh as Jesus. That perfect man took our sinful self upon Himself to become our sin. Praise Jesus forever. God became flesh to die for ALL man kind. Those who believe/follow in Jesus will become children of God. 

I experience the Lord's Grace when He opened up my eyes to know Him and understand Him. I am so grateful for eternal life. To be able to spend the rest of my life with the Heavenly Father and Jesus forever.

In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

I grew up believing as long as you go to church, as long as you are a good person then you will enter Heaven. I never knew Jesus growing up. I heard about Him but I did not understand Him and care to know Him. I always had faith in God but never knew Jesus. The Heavenly Father told me you can not truly know me unless you know my Son. Hallelujah I know Jesus now. I want to talk about Jesus with everyone. He lives in me and I want to share Him with everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God "becoming flesh" so important to the basis of the Christian faith? He ha the nature of man, but not sinful, he was a man without any of its sinful properties. therefore, His earthly ministry was as a man filled with the operating as we are suppose to. Holy Spirit

What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh"? nothing

In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? i have received God's grace as i fulfill the calling upon my life and do what i believe He wants me to do.

In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was? now i live form Him and my will is to  line up with His. 

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God "becoming flesh" so important to the basis of the Christian faith? God became flesh and live among us so we can become sons of God

What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh"?  nothing, but just another dead religion

In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? as i have tried to live this Christian live daily

In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was? truth has brought men to the one and true living God and realizing i needed a Savior.

Jesus became flesh so God could dwell among us. He wants us to be like Him.

Jesus' life, crucificixion and resurrection would mean nothing if He were pretending. I have learned or tried to be more like Him....loving..truthful..don't judge others...acceptance of others.

I seem to be more patient and loving. I show others how to treat others by trying to be as Christ was.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God "becoming flesh" so important to the basis of the Christian faith? What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh"? In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

The death and resurrection of Christ is the central theme of Christian faith. The fact that God loves us so much and is willing to become a servant to us and to humble himself to us is almost inconceivable. Add the fact that God sent Jesus to be crucified and be resurrected, for us, so we may be saved is almost incomprehensible. If Christ had been pretending to be flesh then the entire basis of Christianity would be meaningless. How could death be conquered if no death occurred? How could a resurrection happen if no one died? All would have been a mere illusion with salvation a lie. Each person's experience of grace is personal. Accepting Christ for me was like suddenly everything made perfect sense. All my years of wandering were over. While Christ still has a lot of work to do, He has helped me get rid of all my anger and has given my life direction.

• 4 months later...

Jesus had to become totally identified with us. He thus became a man. He was fully God and fully man. This is a paradox, yet He showed us that He was, and is, exactly what He claimed to be!  Only a God-man could become our deliverer.

His amazing grace is poured out upon me every day. He rescued me from the pit and has raised me up to fellowship with Him. It’s all of grace.  By His grace I have been given new life!

• 9 months later...

It is my understanding that throughout the Old Testament God was portrayed as a deity that manifested in non-human forms. Prophets heard His voice. In the case of Moses it was a burning bush. Samuel only heard a soft voice speak to him. Other accounts record God sending an angel as his messenger or he appeared as a natural phenomenon in the sky. God was never up close and personal to those He made contact with. It is though He preferred to remain autonomous behind a veil of mystery.

However, what shocked the Jews when Jesus arrived was that he proclaimed to be the living, breathing, and human depiction of God on earth. During his three years of ministry Jesus had demonstrated God the Father’s power and authority channeled through him.

On the one hand “becoming flesh” was not well received by the religious leaders as it was in contradiction to their conception and expectation of the Messiah. By appearing human Jesus’ claims could easily be dismissed. Human life was like the grass of the field - here one day and gone the next.

On the other hand “becoming flesh” was a fulfillment of prophesies that foretold some of characteristics the Messiah would demonstrate to prove his true identity.

What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh"?

Isaiah 53 is probably the most famous example claimed by Christians to be a messianic prophecy fulfilled by Jesus. It speaks of one known as the ‘suffering servant’ who suffers because of the sins of others. Jesus is said to fulfil this prophecy through his death on the cross.The following verse from Isaiah 53:5 is understood by many Christians to speak of Jesus as the Messiah:

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him, and with his stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5 (KJV)

By becoming flesh was the only way Jesus could fulfil Isaiah’s prophecy.

The central force driving Christianity is His resurrection following His death on the cross and this could only happen by “becoming flesh”.

It is worth noting that today’s Jewish religious leaders still deny Jesus as the Messiah and do not link prophecies in the Torah to Jesus being the Son of God.

The ways his grace has played a part in my life is difficult to put into words. The fact that I am writing this article is proof that His grace is active in my life. Living and breathing comes through His grace. Walking through the beauty and wonder in nature especially allows my being to be permeated in God’s g race.

In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

During my life’s journey I have experienced both ‘ light and dark ‘ times.  There is a poem that answers this question for me: Footprints in the Sand, a beautiful poem written by Mary Fishback Powers.

One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."

• 2 months later...

The idea of God “becoming flesh” is important because we now have a God that has suffered the same things that we have suffered. He know what we go through and can better understand us. Christ’s life, crucifixion, and resurrection wouldn’t mean anything to us if He was only pretending to “become flesh”. In the Old Testament we always had a God and we were worshiping Him then but when He sent His son to us then we had somebody to relate to and somebody that better understood what we are going through.

When I accepted Jesus as my savior I cleaned up my act and quit doing the things that I had been doing and started reading the Bible daily.

• 3 months later...

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God “becoming flesh” so important to the basis of the Christian faith? Without Jesus becoming flesh and dying for our sins we ave no hope for salvation or heaven.

What would Christ’s life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to “become flesh”? Our faith would be futile and pointless

In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? I experience grace by waking up everyday.  By breathing.  By being forgiven of all my sins. 

In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was? I was a very selfish and sinful man but jesus loved me enough to take my punishment and set me free.  I have access to Him and eternal salvation because of His grace.

• 4 months later...

According to the Believer’s Commentary it states that The World became flesh when Jesus was born as a Baby in the manger at Bethlehem. He had always existed as the Son of God with the Father in heaven, but now chose to come into the world in a human body. He dwelt among us. It was not just a short appearance, about which there might be some mistake or misunderstanding. God actually came to this earth and lived here as a Man among men. The word “dwelt” means “tabernacled” or “pitched His tent.” His body was the tent in which He lived among men for 33 years. (MacDonald, W. 1995)
If he were pretending to become flesh; It means that the preaching of the gospel is empty and all of us who are saved are actually perishing. 

One of the ways I have personally experienced His grace is through working the 12 steps of AA and learning about God’s will for my life. I am also learning about my will and my powerlessness in my addictions or idolatry that I struggle with. 
The way it has changed my life is that I am in full time ministry as a personal ministry leader leading people to Christ from false religions as well as agnostics and atheists. 

• 5 months later...

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God “becoming flesh” so important to the basis of the Christian faith? What would Christ’s life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to “become flesh”? In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

It is important because first of all no human being could pay the price for the sins of mankind. For every man born after Adam inherited the sin nature of Adam and hence couldn’t pay the price for another man’s sin. Only God could do that and He couldn’t do it as God but as Man. Salvation was only possible for a kinsman of mankind. Satan usurped it from Adam by deceiving the woman. If God provided salvation as God then He would be doing what Satan did, i.e. usurping it back from Satan which is against His nature. So He became Man in order to identify with mankind by becoming flesh and blood as men. Because He was born of a virgin, He didn’t inherit the sin nature of Adam, but became the Last Adam to redeem mankind and reconcile them back to God.

If Jesus was pretending to be a Man rather than actually becoming a Man, then He wouldn’t have felt what I feel, He wouldn’t have known my temptation etc. But according to Hebrews 4:15 our High Priest felt all our infirmities and was tempted in all points as we were, yet without sin. God of the universe, who is the Lord of all creation became like His creation. He stooped into our level. He became Man and lived as a Man and was crucified as a Man. The fact that the very God became a human being to pay the price for mankind, makes His sacrifice so priceless.

I experience grace in every aspect of my life. In fact every human being that has occupied this earth has experienced His grace, which we call as common grace. Air that we breathe, health that we experience, friendships we enjoy etc. are all because of this grace. But as believers we experience His covenant grace. According to 2 Peter 1:3, He has given all things that pertain to life and godliness. Moreover He has given us His Holy Spirit as a treasure in our earthen vessels.

This understanding has made me a lump of clay in my Potter’s hands. I am a work in progress, not perfect yet, but being transformed into the image of my Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ. Knowing that He will perfect that which concerns me gives me great comfort.