JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Refining Faith

God has been a constant rock in my life. He has brought me through and increased me faith on many occasions. The latest which stands out was last October when I was laid off. I have never been in that situation and it was pretty scary going through interviews and thinking of starting something new. However, in my prayers, I always asked God to allow me to be a blessing to others and to place me where this could happen. Just like that, my church asked me to give a testimony. I told them how I had been praying about being in a position to help others and the VERY NEXT day, God opened a door with  a previous employer that I simply had to walk through. I didn't have to interview. I could do exactly what I wanted and what I was praying for. Fast forward and today God has been faithful over and over, allowing me to make more money, to which I've used to sponsor my teenagers in poverty and to help others at work. I just pray that I am still allowed to do this. That I don't take it for granted. That I remain humble and continue to trust in His good Word. His plans are always good. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would be back at this place of employment but God knew and I am thankful.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/22/2004 at 9:15 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

I could I ever forget. These times of personal trials were the greatest spiritual times of my life. These were the times when I was driven to God through constant reading of His word and prayer. These were the times when I was full of the spirit and close to God.  People describe these as mountain top experiences. One can' stay on top forever. The trial ends and it seems that we let go of the closest to God and slide back down into the valley. I assume that is why the bible places so much emphases on suffering

A difficult circumstance in my life, which involved a life-threatening illness of a loved one, was made easier because I knew that nothing could make me lose my faith, it sustained me even in my sorrow.  My faith during this time was tested but I didn't turn from Jesus. He made everything unknown less frightening and I am so thankful for His goodness.

I remember a particular trying time when my son was shot. It was 2:00 am in the morning, my youngest son awoke me to tell me that his brother had been shot in the face and I had to go to the hospital. It was shocking news, but I knew I had to remain calm for my children's sake. I prayed to God that if it was his will to take my son let it be so, but to please allow me to see him before he took him. Long story short, God spared my son, though he is blind from one eye, and has lots of pellets in his face that couldn't be removed. I look back and know for a fact that God was in control that night, for I had peace within me that surpassed anything I've ever experienced before. God was glorified in that my family, friends, coworkers, couldn't understand how I handled the situation without losing control of myself. I gave God all the credit. Told them it was all God. He gave me peace. He took over. To God the glory!  

Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith?

More than once, such circumstances have been invoked against me. Perhaps its just my hard-headed nature that brings on the difficult aspect.

What did God accomplish in your life?

best. There were times when I thought I found what I was looking for, and I probably did, but, it wasn’t what God wanted for me. This was so much more true than I could have imagined because not only has God given me the best for the future when my time arrives, but also while I am here awaiting that day. ndSo many things. I learned that God wants the best for us, not 2

How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus? 

Because true faith causes humility in that we learn dependence of a childlike manner---belief and these are things Jesus talked about while He was here. Just knowing about that guy name Jesus in the Bible is one thing but knowing (through faith) our King who is talked about in the Bible is quite another story.

I remember one day at school when i almost ran mad for about two week i could not go to class so i decided to go back home. one day when i was in church i heard a voice telling me "grace i am the resurrection and the life", you have me you have life and that's how i got delivered. All my people who thought i would never go back to school wondered and began to say my God is alive. When i heard them say that i realized my life was in Gods hands and so i needed to begin moving with him and seeking him more and more so i can have life. One thing i know is that genuine and tested faith brings glory to God in away that God has power and has conquered because the bible says we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

Believer and non believer have trials. The self centered man turns to faith when he realize how inadequate he is  before trials.    But the believer has the help of the father when he realizes how weak he is.  He realizes he has no where to turn can but God.  When he turn to God and is lifted up.out of his utter indadequacy he know that it is God who has done the work.  His faith then becomes stronger.  I have come to this point several times in my life and I will continue to do so.  Because life is trial.

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

There are many instances, but the main one was a chronic illness attack.  Through this circumstance, I was tested and my faith was strengthened. In all my pain God became my strength, and in my loneliness He was the only one who did not abandon me.

Because of this test, I gave my life totally to Jesus, first time read the Bible from cover to cover and my family was also saved.  God brought me out of Egypt to his promised land. 

On 1/22/2004 at 8:15 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Accepting the premise of parenting by God, his children are disciplined. Romans 5 explains the process/purpose of discipline: "Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. Christian is a title. Christ-likeness is the fruit of disciple/discipline - our spiritual work-out bears fruit for him.

Q4. (1:6-7)

Q. Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life?

A. I an not so sure of any

Q. How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

A. Genuine tested faith brings glory to Christ by attributing the victory achieved to be from Him

I believe all of us need God who can our life rescue in the world.

Thanks God in Jesus' name, His power is miracle until now.

From darkness situations before, tested my faith, He drive my ways  till I see more clearly.

Let Him in our Heart come and may prepare our faith to bring God glory.

Praise the Lord!

The Lord has used many circumstances to refine my faith, through answered prayers and speaking to me when times have become most difficult.

The accomplishment in my life that God has done is that Christ, God's only begotten son, has died for my sins and gave me access to the heavenly Father.

Genuine tested faith brings glory to Jesus because only through him can prayers be answered, people healed and his spiritual gifts given to us, this brings all the glory to him, the Lord Jesus Christ.  

1....Growing as a christian God has used many difficult circumstances to grow my faith.

2    Many things has been purified in me but the worst was dealing with anger..

3    It proves that God is working in me daily.

"Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?"

My faith was refined and purified as I stood at the bedside of my saved dying mother in the hospital.  I sensed the presence of the Lord, but yet I knew that there was nothing else I coiuld do for my mother.  The Lord had truly taken over. This point in my life drew me closer to the Lord. I did not drift away from the Lord, but truly let me know that all praises and honor belong to Him!

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2004 at 9:15 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes, the one that stands out to me is a time after my Mom died and I was the only child left, but my niece was arguing that she was due 1/2 of my Mom's insurance policy even though her name was not on the policy and that she should get my sister's part of my Mom's estate and it was not good, and everyone was telling me that I was her daughter and it was due me (it was not a lot) but that I deserved it....there was unforgiveness and bitterness and God was dealing with me....I kept hearing the song on the radio..."Seven times Seven". I then broke down and said "OK Lord"...called my niece and asked her to come over and said I was sorry, broke into tears and we embraced. God, in His wonderful grace, released me and our relationship is great, she got her half, I got freedom and I never heard that song again.

Believing that God was right, hearing from Him and responding to His Word in forgiveness to others brings glory to Jesus. We are to forgive others as He has forgiven us.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, many times--too many to share now.

God accomplished more growth in my life--a deeper relationship with Him.

We end up with strengthened faith.  We become more aware of God's power in our own life and gives us the boldness to share and live for Him.

God has refined and purified my faith in Him through the difficult circumstances I went through, the incident is I had purchased a piece of land to built an independent home for my family, after purchasing I found that there are some link documents missing because of which I was unable to get housing loan to built, and it was waste of money to invest in that piece of land, but myself and my wife knelt down on our feet and prayed several months with tears to do miracle so that the problem can be solved, here only by Gods grace and mercy and compassion towards us, Lord spoke to the officers responsible to resolve the issue by making the problem into a minor issue and resolved it by an idea given by themselves  to resolve and thereby sanctioning the required amount to build the house

Here there was tremendous pressure on me during that period because all my life time savings I invested would go waste and life time ambitions to own an independent house would never fulfill, here Lord has refined our faith in Him that when we seek Him and wait upon for His promised to be fulfilled definitely it will be done, all Glory to God.

• 1 month later...

Yes. After going through a period when I felt that those around me were oblivious to the pain I was going through; it was God and His word that drew me to Him and caused faith and trust in God to increase.  Genuine, tested faith brings glory to God when a child of God is totally captivated by God's sovereignty and His omnipotence.

• 3 years later...

Yes, I can remember a time as I'm going through it right now.  I recently lost my younger sister after a long illness and also I made a very serious mistake out of a heart filled with anger and malice.  God showed my family and I great compassion and mercy.  I was there for my younger sister in the way that I should have, plus the mistake I made was potential devastating.  Yet God has shown me a better way in both circumstances.  I can only praise Jesus for the transformation that has taken place in my heart.  My savior gets all of the glory and recognition in both issues.  I've been able to reconnect with family and friends in a way like never before and my heart is being cleansed from many sins and transgressions.  I'm prayerful that He will renew my spirit as well.  

The last month has been the worst of my life, but through it all God has shown Himself to be full of grace and forgiveness.  He has given my undeserved favor and I want to serve Him completely all of my days.  

• 2 years later...
  • Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Refining Faith
  • 4 months later...

Yes, I can both recall and am in the midst of circumstances that refine my faith, deeply trying and painful circumstances. God is bringing me closer to Him in radical ways, closer than I've ever been. This is not merely the sort of maturity that is a consequence of aging, but a deepening of faith that's happening in a concentrated period of time. 

I hope the deepened faith is not the end goal of my suffering, which is intense. I hope I'm being prepared to be used by Him in a new way, that the burning in the crucible has meaning beyond my love and trust in Him. I want to serve, too. It's not all about character but also has to do with calling and purpose. The glory I bring to Jesus is both internal and external, then -- it has to do with the changes in me as well as what I do in the big world.

I've had 13 years of pain. The past six years have been particularly intense and the past seven months have been the worst. I'm praying God redeems these years that the locust has eaten as I praise Him for the changes they have wrought internally. My faith is much stronger. I'm centered, if that makes sense. My initial focus and intention is usually on Him. This is all good!  Very good!  

Yet, I pray to be used by Him in ways more consistent with what He's done in me. I want these internal changes, my spiritual growth, to have tangible results in a ministry or work of some sort. I have felt shelved for many years. Unused. Thus, I pray for a purpose, calling and future.