JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Christ's coming

Christs full glory should be what gets our undivided attention and it inspires my hope because I will finally get to see our Savior and that right there inspires me to have self control, I don't only want to glimpse at him then be told I cannot stay with him forever because I chose to not live obediently, I want to glimpse at him and then be able to glimpse at him whenever I want because I chose to live obediently. I think when we don't expect Christ to come soon we start to slack and think there is time to change our lives and live right, when really you never know what tomorrow brings. I can't wait for my Lord to come so I am anticipating it every day and making sure I am ready.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1:13) What about Christ's coming should get our undivided attention?

The sudden unannounced arrival should get our undivided attention. Since we do not know when that day will be we should be watching and in preparedness.

Why should it inspire hope?

It should inspire us because it is an eventuality; Christ return is as certain as His resurrection. We're inspired because of the hope of His return.

Why should it inspire self-control and soberness?

Christ return should inspire self-control and soberness because we will be preparing for His return; eagerly watching and praying.

What happens in our lives when we don't really expect Christ to come soon?

When we don't really expect Christ soon return we become complacent and continue as though there is plenty of time to His return. And in the meantime the unsaved are not being introduced to Christ.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1:13) What about Christ's coming should get our undivided attention? Why should it inspire hope? Why should it inspire self-control and soberness? What happens in our lives when we don't really expect Christ to come soon?

The second coming of Christ should inspire in us a great HOPE. The hope of salvation and the true understanding of God's GRACE. The anticipation of His coming should inspire in us a desire to be self-controlled and aware of our place in God's love. If we don't really believe that Christ will come soon and do not wait in great anticipation, then we will lose hope and live in darkness and dispare.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q1. (1:13) What about Christ's coming should get our undivided attention? Why should it inspire hope? Why should it inspire self-control and soberness? What happens in our lives when we don't really expect Christ to come soon?

1) His return will complete our salvation, Jesus will be glorified and we will be vindicated for our behaviour.

2) It inspires hope as we know and wait for our final redemption, when we will be fully saved and receive our crown in glory, it should inspire us to follow Christ in a way that shows Christ in us "Our hope" to others.

3) If we do not practice self-control we will may fall into temptation and be clouded in our purposes. We will not be clear thinkers and prepared for action at any moment.

That we should live our lives in holiness and serious purpose.

We should "set our hope" on the second coming of Jesus for there will be great grace accompanying His arrival.

We need to practice self-control and soberness so that our minds remain clear and well-balanced, thus avoiding any pit-falls which would jeopardize our mental and spiritual being.

When we truly do not expect Christ to arrive we allow ourselves to slip into an undisciplined life-style where we take advantage of all sins of the flesh ( mental and spiritual drunkenness.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our Salvation will be rewarded to the faithful. God's grace will finally be revealed when we join with others in praising and glorifying God. We need to be self controlled and motivated to live as pure a life as possible so that we will be there as workers of our faith drawing other to Christ through our lives and the faith we put into practice. When we live in doubt not expecting His return we are drawn into worldly **** and sin our faith is weakened by doubt and our lack of faith tells other in our life that we are not true believers.

• 2 weeks later...

The second coming of Christ will be the culmination of everything. The fulfillment of our faith. The end of the struggles Christians face.

When Christ returns we will be rewarded for our faithfulness and He will gather the believers. That sure is something to hope for.

No man knows the day or hour of Christ's return so we should conduct ourselves in such a way that if He showed up right now He'd be proud of us and not ashamed of us.

We slacken off, thinking that we've got plenty of time to run amok and go astray and still come back to righteousness in time.

• 6 months later...

What about Christ's coming should get our undivided attention?

The fact that Christ is coming back at a time which is unknown to us. In addition, He is coming back to find a church without spot or wrinkle. This should get our undivided attention as we seek to be the spotless bride who will be ready to receive her Bridegroom when He comes.

Christ's coming should inspire hope because we are reminded that the world as we know it will cease. Injustice, pain, sufferring will all come to an end.

It should inspire self-control and soberness because we are noty living for now but we are living in the light of eternity. Therefore our actions and thoughts are not based on what we see before us today but what we know will come when Christ returns.

We live life for the now. We engage in all manner of behaviours which are not Christlike or fit for the spotless bride of Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

1a)We are promised the fulfilment of our faith, that through Christ and his redemption, we will be raised with him with a new resurrection body when Jesus comes again, &to dwell for eternity with him,this gets my attention.

b)It in spires Hope because-No more pain,illness or disease which I battle with on earth.I will be free of all this when he comes again.

C) This incentive inspires me to rid self of anything unworthy of Christ and to live a holy life. D)When don’t expect Jesus to come soon,think have plenty of time, my guard drops enough for the human sinful desires of pride,greed,laziness,selfishness to surface, and I don’t act quite as holy as Christ would want.

• 4 months later...

I think it is so easy to live thinking we still have time to do this or that for others or for Christ knowing that our salvation is with Him. This makes me think of the saying to live your life as if you have 48 hours to live all the time and just assume you have that time to do the things He would want you to be doing now. We are so often blessed with wonderful families or memories of family that have gone astray and if you feel you would call them or write to them knowing you only had a day to live, then do it now and don't put it off. This lesson is really speaking to me to get away from my daily household chores and to give more to others as God would want me to do and for Him to see the works in me that come from my salvation and allowing Him to live through me. Yes it does make a difference to live as if He is coming tomorrow than with the complacency that we have more time.

• 4 months later...

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

The second coming of Christ will be the culmination of everything. The fulfillment of our faith. The end of the struggles Christians face.

His return is real, and God keeps his promises.

We know better, so we should do better.

We act like everyone else.

• 5 months later...

There are many within the church who do not believe Jesus is coming soon.  They believe that all the prophecies of the Rapture, the Tribulation, the Millennial Kingdom, and the Battle of Armageddon are "spiritual" and not literal.  They believe that Christ will come again eventually - - -  after we Christians have "Christianized" the world not by evangelism [telling others about Jesus and the salvation He purchased for us] but by eradicating poverty and injustice and other social justice issues.   Without their focus being on Jesus and His coming again, they live like the nonbelievers:  they do not study the Bible or try to live by Its teaching,  instead they focus on the things of this world and this age.  They don't know what they are missing.

I have met a few who seem to focus on Christ and do some compassionate-care/social-justice work, but they still believe we have to transform the world ourselves.    Maybe we people are not able to devote ourselves to two goals (focussing on Christ and eradicating social problems)  any more than we can serve and love two masters (God and Money) <Luke 16:13.... 

Jesus said Mary of Bethany, who chose to sit at His feet and listen to His teaching, chose the right thing and He chided her sister Martha for being so busy serving that she didn't make time to listen to Him.   I think that when we expect Jesus to come again at any moment, we focus on Him and discipline ourselves to learn His ways from the Bible and to obey Him, and when we do not expect Jesus to come soon, we turn our hearts, our minds, and our goals  from God to the world and therefore, in danger of damaging our relationship with Jesus. 

• 1 month later...

The reality that Jesus could come at any time or I could die today should have my focus.  That focus should include having my physical and  spiritual house in order.  I should be prepared for His arrival.  It should be an imperative in my life to be as ready and spiritually developed for His second coming or my own death as I can be.  That helps eliminate regret and disappointment and should increase the joy of Jesus' arrival or my own death.  I should be excited about preparing my mind for action and being self-controlled.  I should be excited about preparing in the here and now for eternity with God.  

Being self-controlled and sober help my focus on Heavenly and eternal issues stay keen while on this planet in this life.  It is like attending school.  I keep focused on the courses at hand and faithfully completing all of the requirements with the hope of one day graduating with good grades and receiving in return the benefits of the effort.  I get a good  return on everything I do based on the intention and effort I put into that effort.  Paul says in Galations that a "person reaps what he sows."

Without the expectation of Christ's return we get sloppy and distanced from God.  The reality is we need to make our Christian walk and faith a part of the very fabric of our day to day life.

• 1 year later...

As children of the Most High God, our attention should be focused on living for Him, and in doing so the fruit of the Spirit will manifest in our lives. When we don't live for Him as we ought, we display a sloppy life, which glorifies things of the world and doesn't bring true Glory to Him, (meaning our living pointing to salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ the Lord). No day should be taken for granted that He is tarrying in Him coming. For as the bible says, no man will know the day or the hour. But we will know the season, and the sign of the times certainly point to the soon return of the Lord.

My (our ) hope is inspired in the coming of the Lord for several reasons. We are in the disposition of grace and with grace we can look forward to the following:

• Salvation will finally be received and consummated (1:5, 9)
  • Our now-maligned faith will receive its full reward and receive finally its "praise, glory, and honor" (1:7)
  • Christ's glory will be manifested (1:12; 4:13; 5:1)
  • God's visitation or inspection of our good deeds will take place (2:12)
  • Judgment and vindication of Christians' righteous behavior (4:5)
  • You will receive a crown of glory (5:4)
  • He will restore, strengthen, confirm, and steady you (5:10)

Oh what a wonderful day to come. And living a holy life,being called to holiness, our hearts desire should be to be an example that will draw many to saving knowledge and acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior!

Amen...

• 3 months later...

Christ coming should get our attention because He gives us hope in looking forward to the one that died for us. I would think people will want to be in self-control and sober minded because I wouldn't want to live in help for all eternity. If you are not ready when Christ comes back all I can say oh boy!"

• 5 months later...

Christ coming should get our undivided attention by living a holy life.

Christ coming will inspire our hope because when he appears our salvation will be consummated.

His appearing will inspire, also our self control and soberness because we should be free of mental and spiritual drunkenness, from excess passion, rashness and confusion. We are to be disciplined in our life style.

When we lose hope of Christ return we will loss our self discipline and end up back in the worldly desires and it's evil.    

• 1 month later...

GHRIST coming soon get our undivided attention; we should live in such manner that it will be pleasing to GOD  that by doing so it might lead people  to GHRIST, His word tell us that he will come again for his church. no one know when his return will be so we need to be ready every second of our life so up on his return we will be ready for our  everlasting home with JESUS.==SELF-CONTROL and SOBERNESS===We are responsible for the way in which we live and conduct our self we should live in such a way that others can a difference in our lives than the people who is living ungodly. our mine should sober {clear] not on what This world can offer us for this is not our home .WHAT  HAPPENS IN OUR LIVES WHEN WE DON'T EXPECT CHRIST TO COME SOON==== We do  not keep our mine fully on serving him as we should. We think that there are plenty time later to serve him

• 2 weeks later...

our attention should be placed up on GHRIST imminent return at any second=== The imminent return of CHRIST should motive us to live for him , This means being mentally alert {prepare your mind for action= DISCIPLINED  [self-controlled}= and FOCUSED [set your hope fully}, as obedient children we must live GODLY life and be willing to help others===When we don't expect Christ return soon we become less attentive and less active about God work.

• 3 weeks later...

That Christ is coming and we need to remain ready for His return.

Psalm 62:5 Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. He gives us hope; Hope in the truth of His word, and that everything will be fulfilled.

He has called us to be holy as He is holy. Because He could come at any time, we need to be in holy anticipation of His return living right.

We get sloppy and tend to gravitate back to our old way of life.

Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly.

• 4 months later...

What about Christ's coming should get our undivided attention?  Christ will come a second time but He’s not coming to deal with sin (He did that on the cross), when He returns He will be coming for our salvation and to save us from God’s righteous wrath at the time of judgment.

Why should it inspire hope?  Our hope is through keeping our focus on "when Jesus Christ is revealed," because when He comes, our salvation will be realized.  To have hope all we need do is put our faith and trust in Christ Jesus.  The inspiration for that hope is in knowing that when He returns we will all be reunited with Him in a close personal relationship.  That’s the hope that makes me excited and enthusiastic for his coming but Paul says it infinitely better than I.  “There is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved his appearing.” (2 Timothy 4:8)

Why should it inspire self-control and soberness?  The only way to even come close to attaining holiness is trusting God with absolute confidence or as Peter put it, through soberness and self-control.  Being holy as He is holy should not be seen as just some grand Christian aspiration, in actual fact, scripturally it’s our duty!  Regrettably, Satan is always lurking, waiting to corrupt and destroy us so we need to remain vigilant and on guard against our spiritual enemies.  Not only is Satan looking for an opening, like it or not, we are also being watched (and judged) by non-believers.  Because we are, we always have to pay particular attention and exercise self-control in everything we think, do and say and always be humble in the judgments that we inflict upon on ourselves and others.  We are not God, we’re human and we all have sinful urges and desires in abundance.  Knowing that as we do, we have to remain especially vigilant and constantly pray for the strength and self-control to suppress them.

What happens in our lives when we don't really expect Christ to come soon?  If you don’t expect to see Jesus as soon as today you’re lying to yourself.  In reality you’re simply going through the motions if you believe that your sin isn’t a big deal.  After all, you’re still young and you have plenty of time to make things right with God.  Well my friend, if that’s your mindset, you’re setting yourself up for a generous dose of reality when Jesus returns!  When I talk to someone about being prepared I always like to use this illustration.  “Imagine seeing a tornado off in the distance; you’re absolutely certain that it’s coming your way but you have no way of knowing how long you have to prepare for it.  Will you put it off till later and hope or will you start getting prepared now?”  The question we should be asking ourselves (every day) is: “Am I more prepared today than I was yesterday?”  The fact is, He is coming and every one of us will have to stand before Him and give an account.  We don’t know when, but we do know that it’s certainly going to happen.  “But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into.  You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.” (Luke 12:39-40).

• 6 months later...

Q1. (1:13-14) What about Christ's coming should get our undivided attention? Why should it inspire hope? Why should it inspire self-control and soberness? What happens in our lives when we don't really expect Christ to come soon?

What about Christ's coming should get our undivided attention?

• Its imminence i.e. the fact that it could occur at any time. We should regularly spend time reflecting upon His return, and share this with one another as an encouragement.

1Th 4:16-18  For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words.

• Our behaviour and actions: We should seek to be Christ-like in our behaviour, speech, habits, and live disciplined lives.

• Our obedience: Hearing the voice of the Lord during our daily walk. Being guided by the Holy Spirit. Following the Lord's schedule = obedience.

• Looking forward to the Lord's return – the second coming and the rapture: Therefore I need to study this as outlined by 1 Peter. This involves considering the grace to be revealed at the consummation of our great salvation which will be unveiled/revealed at the second coming of the Lord.

• Living well ordered lives: Not leaving things to chance or haphazard events, deliberate planning our time and activities, well executed work/service for the Lord. Living purified lives, 1Jn 3:1-3  See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.  (2)  Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.  (3)  And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.

Making the most of the time allotted because the days are evil. Eph 5:15-17  Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,  (16)  making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.  (17)  Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.