JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

I guess my answer is simple....How do, or should I offer Praise..?

With clean hands and a pure heart; And from an unselfish attitude.

To me, this is 'Pure Praise' :)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all the disciplines God applies to us benefit us greatly. Praise "in spirit and in truth" delilghts God, yet I believe we are the one who really benefit. We are designed to be creatures of praise and we certainly fuction most joyfully and prosperously by so doing continuously. In times of trouble and persecution we are to offer praise - Why? - the joy of the Lord is our strength!

How? Continuously, with music, dancing, in sickness and in health, in thanksgiving and in hope, (great expectation) speaking to one another in psalms, hymns and spiritual songs, studying scripture, and in utter trust as a child of God, remembering that obedience is the real sacrifice He wants from us!

Praise is not an "act of worship" or something scheduled between the annoncements and the sermon. It can be offered at any time - while walking to work I may sing, pray (in English or in tongues) or just reflect on God's creativity as I watch the sun come up. One of my most significant times of praise was the Saturday morning I first played the "Revival in Belfast" CD I had purchased a couple of days before. I sat on the living room floor with my wife and we silently rejoiced in the love of God as this great music washed over us. By the time we got to the last song that has the refrain "Behold, He comes riding on a cloud" we had our hands lifted to Him and were both crying.

Harder praise is when things are tough and you don't "feel like praising". That's when true praise comes - because God is with you and guiding you. He doesn't just stick with you when things are going well, but through the darkest hours.

If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regardless of how I feel. Continually. In ways that are pleasing to Him. With my whole heart. Not out of necessity or compulsion, but out of an overflowing love for Him, for what He has done for me, and most importantly, simply who He is.

As much as I know these things, this is a difficult time for this. I confess, that I have not done this recently. The cituations I find myself in at the church I serve at, the demand of my full time vocation, the demands of my family, and other obligations have stolen the joy I once knew. I know recently I has only offered praise because I know I should do it...out of compulsion...believeing the Father knew my heart, knew the situations that had drug me down, and knew my inmost hart was truly to praise Him out of a Joy-filled heart.

Father, pelase restore to me the joy of my salvation. Restore the joy that once burned bright and clear in my heart. Rekindle the fire that has grown cold by the distractions of this world. Focus my heart and my eyes on You alone. Father, please give me backa tender heart, a worshipful, and praise filed heart. Restore what has seemingly fled away. Dear Father, with all my heart...with all that is left, I beg this of You, and plead with You to help me in this time. As you did for the psalmist, please, dear Lord, do for me. hear my cry from this deep dark pit. Lift me up out of the miry clay that my feet have sunken into. Set my feet firmly on the rock of Christ Jesus once again, and direct my paths. Then Father, my lips will sing out Your praise once again.

Q2. (2:5) If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

I should be offering my Praise to God through my stewardship, my obedience to Him, through spreading the Word to others, and by giving praise and thanks to Him for all that He has done in my life. :rolleyes:

Q2. (2:5) If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

I simply praise God in all that I do and all that happens in my life. I strive to live a life that is pleasing to Him and be of service to others. I especially enjoy our quiet times together, just God and me, when I can pour my heart out to Him and feel His presence.

God is so good! When we think about all that He is and all that He has done, how can we help but praise Him?

The world, the unsaved, can heap all the praises they want to upon the celebrities of this day, but God is the only one worthy to be praised!

I agree with so many of you that praise is everything we do, what we say, that we worship, etc. They didn't supply us with enough words to express what praise is. In the Psalms God is praised for everything, with everything and everywhere. I want to think of my life as one constant moment of praise. God made everything and gave me life and salvation through Jesus Christ. When He brought me into this world everything I would need was already here. He gave me everything in my body and soul that I would need to praise Him! How can you not praise God all day every day of your life for this! I'm over joyed with praise. I can't think of anytime when I'm not praising Him, even when I work, because He gave me the abilities I have to do this job. He has given me everything. Praise the Lord!! :lol:

God inhabits the praises of His people therefore I should be praising Him with all that is within me...continuously thanking Him--even for my trials, because it is through them that He is making me more like Himself.

When I claim a promise, I should thank Him even before He literally answers. This will let Him know that I have faith that He will do as He says, plus claiming promises is praying according to what God says--what His will is and we are told that if we pray according to His will, we can be confident that He will not only hear but will answer. I John 5:14, 15. This is an awesome promise for which I am so thankful!!!

"I will praise (Yadah) you, O Lord, with all my heart; before the "gods" I will sing your praise (Zamar)." Psalm 138:1..Yadah, to rever or worship with extended hands, to use or hold out the hand, to confess, praise and thank...Zamar, "to touch the strings", to play a musical instrument, to celebrate in song and music.

"In the fourth year all its fruit will be holy, an offering of praise (Hilluwl) to the LORD" Lev. 19:24...Hilluwl, to rejoice, a celebration of thanksgiving.

"When the princes in Israel take the lead, when the people willingly offer themselves--praise (Barak) the LORD" Judges 5:2...Barak, to kneel, to bless God as an act of adoration.

"The poor will eat and be satisfied; they who seek the LORD will praise (Halal) him--may your hearts live forever." Psalm 22:26...Halal, to shine, to make a boast, thus be clamorously foolish, to rave, to celebrate.

"Shout (Towdah) for joy to the LORD, all the earth. Psalm 100:1...Towdah, and extension of the hand, a choir or worshippers.

"Praise (Shaback) the LORD, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples."...Shaback, to address in aloud tone, loud praise.

"Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise (sheback) and exalt and glorify the King of Heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just." Daniel 4:37...Sheback, to idolize or adore.

"He says, "I will declare your name to my brothers; in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises (humneo)." Hebrews 2:12...Humneo, to sing a hymn, to celebrate God in song.

Praise is all about HIM. It should be directed to Him and bring Him glory and honor. Humilty, confidence and boldness and in the Spirit and by the Spirit shall we praise Him.

Give Him praise for what He has done,

Give Him praise for who He is.

Give Him praise for He is God.

What is life without the Bread that sustains the innermost depths of my soul?

How dry is my cistern and how my days just wilt away

without the Water, that flows freely from the cup that is your heart O

By spiritual sacrifices that's acceptable for God by Jesus Christ.

Praise is from the heart, mind and spirit. It should be done without thought as to how it looks to others. You are simply showing the love you have for Jesus in song, prayer, and all the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Whether you sing in another language, or english or in the spirit let all praise be Holy. There are new songs being sung today that have beautiful words, but terrible melody in my opinon. There are flags being waved in the churches, but I don't think that is necessary either. It is not the outward sign to show how much you praise and love the Lord, but what is really in the heart. I believe when you praise it should not bring attention to you, but to the one and only Lord Jesus.

I should offer praise with every breath that has been given to me.As long as I live I will praise God,with my body,lifting Holy hands,giving God all the honor and glory He deserves.Come before Him with praises and thanksgiving.Singing praises to his holy name.

The Book of Psalm in Hebrew~ends in repeated commands to praise the Lord.Psalm 150 to me sumes it up.We all know that it tells us how we should praise our God.Amem

I offer praise to God by the kind of life I live, by song and by prayer, by the love and kindness we show to our neighbours and families, by my relationship to nature and its beauty. Hopefully by the actions of my life (which I hope and pray are acceptable to God) in all ways let me show my love of God.

IN THIS MOMENT I AM OFFERING PRAISE TO GOD TRUE THIS WRITING

INSPIRED BY HIM.

WE OFFER OUR BODIES AS LIVING SACRIFICES TRUE HIM THAT HAS

ALL THE POWER AND THE GLORY AMEN.

SILENCE CAN BE A POWERFUL PRAISE IF I AM LISTENNING ATTENTIVELY

AND WITH REVERENCE.

ALL TOGETHER CAN PRAISE GOD WITH THANKS GIVEN AND SING HYMNS

IN HIS HONOR.

WHEN SOME ONE READS THIS. HE OR SHE COULD OFFER PRAISE TO GOD

FOR THE PREVILIGE TO BE ABLE TO READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT HAS

BEEN INSPIRED BY HIS LOVE AND MERCY.

WE CAN CONSTANTLY PRAISE GOD IF WE BECOME AWARE OF HIS PURPOSE

FOR US AND THEN WE TAKE THE ACTION TO DO IT. GLORY, GLORY, GLORY

MY CUP RUNS OVER, PRAISE BE HIS HOLY NAME. AMEN.

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.