JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (2:5) If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

Phil 4:4 says REJOICE IN THE LORD ALWAYS AND AGAIN I SAY REJOICE

There are other verses which talk about giving thanks to God in ALL circumstances and being joyful.

Praise for God's benefit and not mine is praise when the heart is bleeding, when the odds are stacked against us and the spirit is weary and weak.

It is about being honest about our situation - This situation is making me feel like this, I don't know if I can face another day, it hurts and I don't know where to turn, I want out so badly, BUT I choose to praise You that You hold me safe, You hold the situation safe, You will not let me fall. I AM SAFE IN YOUR ARMS.

It's honest praise no matter where you are at or what you are going through.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God is worthy of all our praises. He has blessed my far more than i can praise Him but i try to do my best in giving Him my thanks and acknowledging what He has done for me. as a kid i use to be in our church choir and sang saprano and now as an old gal i feel like i am the female version of a male bass. :( but i know when i go to church and sing with other believers He hears me sing beautifully and on key knowing it is from my heart that i praise His Holy Name. i am also disabled and am pretty much homeward most of the time. but i know i want more than anything to serve Him in the way it was meant to be. one of my pastors explained that praying for others is something i can do to serve since i can't get out to physically serve. i love talking with my Father.

Q2. (2:5) If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

I offer our praises to God by obeying His words, by offering my body as holy and living sacrifices being my spiritual acts of worship. I also offer my praises to God by doing the great commission which is to make disciples and proclaiming the good news to them. I also offer my praises to God by being generous giver supporting the church ministries and to the needy. All this is made possible being thankful of the bountiful grace God has showered me, for saving me from eternal damnation and for giving me a new life. :o

My praises to God will be offered through obedience to His words. I offer my body as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God. Doing good and sharing blessings to others likewise pleases my Lord. My G12 cell group with initial members of 5 "fathers" ( and growing) is one way of proclaiming the gospel to these family heads. I have learned to praise God in good and in bad times. :rolleyes:

Quite honestly I am a little confused with this question. I was taught that when we praise God it was for our benefit. That through praising Him we found our worth and that because God was complete in every way, lacking nothing that He did not need our praise since lacking nothing, He needs nothing. Though I know that God loves our praise because He loves us and communing with us and only He is worthy of our praise, I feel it is more to our benefit than to His. When I lift my hands and sing praises to my Lord, something spiritual begins to take place inside me because I know that God inhabits my praise. It is like a total renewing and refreshing of His love for me if that is possible since His love for us never changes, never wavers. When I worship that Lord I get a fresh sense of the worth God gives me and the purpose He has for my life.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We should offer praise continually through Jesus lifting His name up on high.Praising and worshiping Him are the only things that edify our souls and so should be our ultimate goal in life.Our praise must be from the heart and with the sole intention of bringing glory to God our Father in Heaven.Our praises should bare witness to our Savior in this world and be expressed without fear of retribution from the world.

May all glory honor and power be to God our father through Jesus our Savior and King praise His name in heaven and on the earth.Amen.

• 3 months later...

God has made us for His pleasure and in His image. We should praise Him in all that we do, say, think and act. We are to glorify Him in our way of life and the example we set. In obedience and thanksgiving we honour Him. We meet with the brethren each week, we break the bread and drink from the cup and this is how we remember Him. We worship and offer praise by praying, singing and giving Him our all.

• 4 months later...

We should offer our Praise with all our Heart, soul, and mind, with everything we have in us we should worship and Praise the Lord. Jesus came to this earth and gave us all that He had and even died for us that we should have life. He has set us an example that we should follow Him in our life offering our bodies up as a living sacrifice to God for this is our reasonable service.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Q2. (2:5)

If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

We make our praises an offering to God. It is not a burden but a joy and privilege to praise our Heavenly Father. We cannot have acceptance by God on the basis of who or what we are, it is only through Jesus Christ that God accepts our praises.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I praise God with sincerity from my heart and my lips. There is no formula where praising God is concerned. I do enter His gates with thanksgiving, and His courts with praise, which is what we are told to do, however I allow the Holy Spirit to lead me and each time it's different.Praise is more than singing songs to God; it is a way of life. I can praise Him with my actions as well as my words.When I praise Him, I thank Him for what He's done, when I worship Him, I worship Him for who He is.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If my praise is primarily for God's benfit and not my own, I should openly confess His name; offer"my lips as sacrifices of bulls," and praise God's name in song.

Psalms 69:30-31 (ASV)

30 I will praise the name of God with a song, And will magnify him with thanksgiving.

31 And it will please Jehovah better than an ox, Or a bullock that hath horns and hoofs.

Before we begin to praise we need to santify ourselves - check our motives, lifestyles and our attitudes

Ask for forgiveness

With a pure heart we need to offer our worship to God with thansgiving

Our worship needs to be genuine, sacrificail and in a spirirt of truth.

We need to allow the Holy Spirit to guide our praises.

Praise is not to be allocated a timeslot in the day but rather be a lifestyle in everything we are, do and say.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that through prayer,and singing is a good way to give praise to God but it also takes doing the works that He has prepared for us to do.We need to worship in a worthy manner that is also a praise to God. Praying Psalms 51:10-12, create in me a clean heart and mind and renew a right spirit in me is always my prayer. I continually want to be in right relationship with God through Christ. Its hard in a daily routine of working in the world so prayer is a constant need in renew my strength.

• 3 weeks later...

Never really thought about it like that before. I suppose I should always let God know how grateful I am for my salvation and for everything He's done for me.

• 6 months later...

I should be offering praise not just from my lips but from the depth of my being. My praise should be a sacrifice. There will be times when we feel as though it makes no sense praising God but we are reminded that we praise God because in the final analysis only He is worthy of the praise. The situation may seem gloomy and hoepless but God is still worthy of our praise.

In addition, our praise should not half hearted, but we must praise God will all that is within us. We must also praise the Lord at all times like the Psalmist said: "His praise shall continually be in my mouth".

• 2 weeks later...

2a)Through Jesus I offer praise in prayer,song with thanksgiving for the many blessings he has given me, and offering my body as a living sacrifice obeying God in my actions, sharing good news with others and offering my gifts to God.Expressing praise with my hands,feet,mouth,tears,joy,with expectation,to meet him,in Spirit,and truth.

2a)Through Jesus I offer praise in prayer,song with thanksgiving for the many blessings he has given me, and offering my body as a living sacrifice obeying God in my actions, sharing good news with others and offering my gifts to God.Expressing praise with my hands,feet,mouth,tears,joy,with expectation,to meet him,in Spirit,truth,My thinking is totally focus on God and not on self at all.