JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Increasing God's Praise

Matthew 5:16 ‘ Let your light so shine before men, that they may see  your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven’

When Christians commit good deeds, they cause others to emulate what they do.   Unbelievers realize that they do not have to be a slave to the evil that exists in our world, but have the comfort of knowing that they are god’s own and He is looking out for them. Our good deeds are able to bring others to Jesus.  They tend to bring people from darkness into light so that  they can see the joy of God’s kingdom. 

Our ‘blending in’ causes us to lose focus on God.  We are taken up with worldly things and are not able to show our good deeds spreading His word and living the godly life that we as Christians should. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matthew 5:16 ‘ Let your light so shine before men, that they may see  your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven’

When Christians commit good deeds, they cause others to emulate what they do.   Unbelievers realize that they do not have to be a slave to the evil that exists in our world, but have the comfort of knowing that they are god’s own and He is looking out for them. Our good deeds are able to bring others to Jesus.  They tend to bring people from darkness into light so that  they can see the joy of God’s kingdom. 

Our ‘blending in’ causes us to lose focus on God.  We are not able to show our good deeds spreading His word and living the godly life that we as Christians should. 

Our good deeds honor God in that when others see those good deeds they will have a curiosity as to what moves us to behave in such a manner. It opens a door of opportunity to witness and introduce Jesus as the source of our good deeds. Many hearts will turn to God and he will receive honor and glory. If we conform to the world, people will not see a difference in us, and so they won't know they are missing out on anything. They might even go as far as to call us hypocrites and close their ears to the message of Salvation. They will continue to live hopeless lives, miserable, and lost in their sins. This does not bring glory to our Father, Creator, Redeemer of all, who wishes to be known by all his creation as the ONLY TRUE GOD. Our REDEEMER who offers new life to all who believe.   

On 17/02/2004 at 2:33 AM, Debora said:

Q5. (2:12)

How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise. How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

I believe it is all about living a victorious life daily. Good deeds will come naturally as God works in us as we come to repentance and transform. When we live in his ways we give Him the glory. For Jesus was example and so are we to be. If we are then many will see and give our Father praise when they desire to make change, convert, because of our influence in their lives. This gives the father glory. Our silent witness and walking testimony to the world.

For He works through us and it is not our glory but His when there are victories upon victories. We overcome evil with good, and daily live is combatting the world and the people in it that are pagan. We are his representatives walking on this earth. Is our image of a Christian, the image of Him, that gives good witness to the Father and Jesus' name.

What Increases God's praise (what is asked of us, to do as in the Bible - some examples):

1. When pagans do evil and the Christian repays with good (Romans 12:17 & 12:9-19)

2. When pagans slap the right cheek and the Christians turns to him the left cheek as well (Matthew 5:39; Luke 6:29).

3. When a pagan is in need and asks, you give, if a pagan takes something Christian do not demand it back (Luke 27-36).

Blending in could mean we act like the pagan does and do as the pagans do. Our behaviors and attitudes are like theirs. When we do so there is no visible difference to the name we carry as "Christian people". We give false witness and testimony and give being a Christian a bad name or meaningless name. This brings dishonor to our Father.

The pagan may not know what a Christian is, for they may not know the word of God. If we truly are Christian our actions and words coincide with what God asks of us, God's word. The pagan will know what is written for we are God's living word in our actions and speech. We become example giving all what we do Glory to God in a world that has been influenced by darkness and evil. We are his beacon of lights for others to guide and bring them along to safe shores again, in hopes they will return to the homeland which is promised to all.

Giving glory to God is showing the way, the life and the truth to the world through Christ Jesus in us. When others return on a homeland quest and join us in the journey, convert, there is rejoicing in heaven and on earth by the people of God. Victories won daily for God's greater glory - spreading the Good News, helpers to Jesus in bringing them back home to the Father. Like a bride is to the bridegroom, a woman is to a man in a marriage, we as Christians are the helper at Jesus side (bride and bridegroom) in a convenant relationship, as in marriage, to be united and to bring about unity with others. Jesus united us back to the Father through his blood shed and Jesus in us works so others may have the same benefit as we which was intended for all. Not all respond we are there to make a difference in their lives to bring hope, the promise of God for us, mankind.

Christians corporately give God the glory and praise when they meet for worship and praise for all He has done for us and will do, out of gratefulness and out of priesthood royal duty.

This gives God praise, those being his give of themselves to serve their Father and willingly to do his will:

1. We go to church to be equipped.

2. We read, study and listen to the word being preached to be sanctified and transformed through repentance, the Holy Spirit and Jesus working in us.

Debora

We are all a work in God, but I see in you a love of God and of praise and worship to Him that is wonderful to see. God keep you on track with the burning desire and clear focus of what is important that I see you have. If you are not already a world changer, God is preparing you to be so. Father God, continue to richly bless this precious daughter of Yours, Debora, in Jesus mighty name.

On 2/13/2004 at 8:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (2:12) How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise. How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

The good deeds we commit openly as Christians, displays to everyone our commitment to Christ. These acts bring glory and praise to our Lord and God.

When we blend in with the world we distract not only our own commitment to Christ but ruin our witness to non believers for Christ.  

How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise? 
How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise? 

Our good deeds should encourage others to follow our example, and will result in an increase of God’s praise through our actions of love. He calls unbelievers to Himself. The Lord desires that we live holy and honourable lives, so that this conduct, as seen by unbelievers, should result in us glorifying God. As Jesus said (Matt 5:16), we should let our light so shine that as our good works are seen, they will glorify our Father in heaven. Here the emphasis is on the Christian character that Jesus expects of us in our relationship to God, and to our fellow men, as described in the beatitudes (Matt 5:3-12). Our lifestyle should be distinctly Christian. We are to be living testimonies of His love and mercy towards sinners. Later Peter gives us specific examples of the kind of lifestyle that we should be living. 

Our “blending in” will detract from God’s praise. Jesus has emphasized that His true followers, the citizens of God’s kingdom, were to be entirely different from others. We are not to follow the example of the people around us, but from Him, and so prove to be genuine children of our Heavenly Father. We are not to be like them (Matt 6:8). Our Christian value-system, and ethical standards are to be totally at variance with those of the world. Our conduct and deeds will be evaluated constantly by unbelievers who want to see if we are indeed living the Christian life. If not, we are labelled as hypocrites, and this will turn people away from our Lord. However, we will be criticised, whatever we do, and the only way we can disprove this is by doing good deeds. Ultimately our Lord will be glorified. Remember, that one of the most hurtful comments, we as Christians, can hear are the words “but you are no different from anybody else.”

Everywhere I go, I am reminded not to blend in. Sometimes it's so apparent that I question it! But I know it's God. I have always lived a life in solitude. I have family, a couple of friends, a good husband and great kids, but I am always reminded to stop trying to fit in when He is calling me to stand out. I often wonder what it would be like to have more friends and be more outgoing, but then I have to realize that this is not what God wants for me. I don't want to blend in and if I did this, it would dilute my being. If I am to be separate and kept for Him (Jude) then being just like everyone else would dilute my character. 

Q. How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise?

A. People will see the good deeds and attribute them to be the Lords doing in our lives and thus praise God.

Q. How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

A. As we "blend in" or conform to the  pattern of the world, doing the bad things the world does, we dishonor God and our lights become deemed and thus cannot reflect God in our lives. This brings no praise to God.

On 2/13/2004 at 6:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (2:12) How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise. How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

1. We are messengers or letters of love, written on hearts of flesh not on tablets of stone. When we walk with and serve our Lord daily  in that spirit of love, others may see the difference and be drawn to Him. Some may ask about  or notice why we are "different" or just simply respond to the loving gesture. Anytime we "reflect Him" He is praised.

2. We are not of this world, so we are not to blend in and behave as the world does. "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine...hide it under a bushel? No!"  as the children's song goes, we are to reflect His radiant love to the world around us. If we try to blend in we are saying in essence:" I'm ashamed of Christ!" and desire the world's approval more than to honor our  Savior, Lord and King.

Q5. (2:12) How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise? How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

1.By letting our light shine before men, that they may see our good deeds and praise our Father in heaven." We must do the will of God and be an example to the world

2.It is not what we avoid doing, but what we deliberately do in our flesh as giving love.We must love the way God loves because if not, it will detract from God’s praise. When we pretend to be a christian and are not fulfilling the Christ ways that detracts from God’s praise.

Our Faith is our life, do not be worried, sometimes up, sometimes down.... Amazing grace!

I believe if our faith only put in His Hand, we do not be  scare He saves us. Amin.

Peter writes   in 1 Peter 3:15- always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who asked you for a reason for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and respect. This quote seems to answer the question, we are too live openly in the Society of the world and perform our Good Deeds off service and love in such a way that people will Marvel and will ask from where does your joy come from. We will answer from the Lord. If we try to blend in we will not stand out and people will not ask us the reason for our hope.

• 5 weeks later...

Good deeds are bringing light into the world.  God is glorified in our obedience and praise.  To the watching world, we are drawing others to Him by how we behave. 

If we try blending in with the "world" we will be successful.  It's like hiding our light and blending into the darkness.  :-(

• 3 weeks later...

The good deeds that we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise because we were created for the praise of God.  Blending in detracts from God's praise because He is not the focus of the praise.

• 6 years later...

This verse means a lot to me. I live in a completely secular environment with secular family members. This is all I've ever known.

Most of the time, seculars tune out our words. They don't want to hear what we say and certainly will combat it verbally if we do say something faith-related. It's rare to get an opportunity to witness, then, as they've already ear-blocked whatever we could say.

So our behavior speaks for us. They can't stop us or shut out what we do, even though they'll ascribe motives and interpretations of our behavior that serves to perpetuate their secular worldview. We must keep doing good. Keep serving even when we're being used and at times abused. The only witness we have is our good deeds, so we have to keep them coming.

I don't know if they'll glorify God when He comes, but if they do, I pray that the wee things I've done that could be construed as "good" were enough to point them toward this faith.

It's impossible to blend in for very long. At some point we have to make a decision -- to live as they do or stand outside their acceptance. It's a decision I made long ago. And yes, I've paid a dear and heavy price for not abandoning my faith ... that is, for continuing to (try to) do good.