JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Increasing God's Praise

Q5. (2:12) How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise. How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

By seeing our good deeds we show people the Christ in us by sharing with people who dont have,showing love. Remenber we in the world but not a part of it so when we try to blend in it effects our praiseand our daily walk with God

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (2:12) How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise. How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

We should live so that the love of Jesus that is within us radiates from us; it is not us but Him. Practicing a Christian life strictly and constantly is an act of worship and by obeying the teaching of Jesus and His apostles we show to the world the importance of God in our lives. It is the central focus of our lives and we cannot compromise this. Indeed, we are told to do the opposite by letting our light shine forth! If we blend in, we take on the attitudes of unbelievers. We disguise the fact that we are sancified and have the Holy Spirit within us. It is as if we are embarrassed to be God's children and heirs to His inheritance. Our diffidence is not praise (and we have everything to be thankfully about and everything to praise given God's great love and mercy) but an apology, which is an insult given what we have received through grace.

• 6 months later...

"...they shall see your good deeds/works and glorify your Father in heaven.."

Firstly it's in the word..there's power when we let Christ drive us and our motives(man has a spirit in them and therefore can sense an ill or a pure motive)people will see it and be drawn(if I be lifted up, i will draw all men to me) say one good deed could be forgiving and loving your enemy(in deeds) or not revenging when you 'rightyly' deserve it or pay good for evil, loving your enemy's seed etc small and big things, they are watching us and when they see that your standard is different and the peace and rest you have, they'll want to know more or there'll be a standing report about how your God must be real or powerful or big in one way or another..

'Blending in' on the other hand will lower a Christian's standard and God says, if you are neither hot nor cold. I'll spit you out of my mouth...so why wont man do the same?

if they see that you profess Christ and yet live like them, think like them( they can afford to run to you with their wrong talk or call you up for pub sprawling or such ungodly stuff) your light is not shining and deep down they are wondering at you...is he for real?is she for real?

I dont see the difference between her and me so y should I profess Christ? They would definitly want nothing to do with a God who cant change someone and o'cos not praise HIm anyway.

• 5 months later...

By living as Christians, we set ourselves apart as different (peculiar), and our good deeds are seen so that when God returns, he will be glorified (when they see the light). It may also lead them to Jesus.

Blending in is just that - blended, mixed in, made a part of, without specific significance.

• 3 weeks later...

The good deeds we committ by living openly as Christians is a testimony to the character and holiness of God. By living this way we call attention to God. People see Jesus in us through what we do. We glorify our God.

When we blend in with the world, the world sees no difference between us and them. They don't see Jesus in us and we don't glorify God.

• 7 months later...

The Bible says Approved Workmen Need Not Be Ashamed. By living openly for Christ, by praising Him literally and figuratively, and following His examples, others will see Him through us and want to know what makes us different. Like the guard at the prison, they will want to know the One that leads and guides us. God is pleased as we share the Good News with all.

• 1 month later...

Good deeds by living openly as Christians will be seen by others and may influence others toward Christ. Blending in detracts from God's praise because it makes us , as Christians, no different from the world. This is what gives Christians a bad name. Our good deeds are in vain if we do not separate ourselves from the world.

• 2 months later...

I like what James says in ( James 4; 7 ) " Submit yourselves ,then ,to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you"

It takes spiritual effort to walk away from temptations of the enemy and of the flesh, but we're not in this war alone. Remember, it is God who has called us to Himself. " We are chosen people, a royal priesthood, a Holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light.

But what is all of this walking in the Spirit going to accomplish for others in this world? Peter tells us in ( 1 Peter 2: 12 ) " Live such good lives among pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits."

We are to be witness for Christ, not only by what we say, but also how we live for Him. The world will falsely accuse of all sorts of things, but God says, don't let that stop you from continuing in my grace and strength and living to honor Me.

In fact, it's through our good deeds, as Peter puts it, that there will be people in this world who will take and be touched by what Christ has given us.

"People may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits.", cannot be referring to His second coming. When speaking of the day He visits us, the Greek language is literally translated, in a day of inspection.

When unbelievers stand before Christ's judgement seat, though every knee will bow, it will not be a day where they glorify or praise God when they receive condemnation.

This thought Peter conveys is similar to what Jesus says in ( Mat. 5:16 ) " In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven."

The idea is the through our lives Christ draws men to Himsel that they may seek forgiveness and eternal life in the Savior. This is what Peter is implying that as we live to God's Honor and Glory it will effect the world in a way that the light of Christ has given us will pierce the darkness of sin and people will seek our Lord as the Spirit of God illumines their their minds and hearts.

What a great privilege to be used by God in this way in this world. We are called for a purpose, a Holy purpose to be used by the Creator.

And He doesen't send us out into this world on our own. He gives us His Spirit and all of the gifts and the power we need to accomplish His purpose. But we need to lovingly submit to God and walk as the people of God He's called us to be.

Trust God. The victory belongs to Him and in Him we are in Him we are more than Conquerors. And don't ever forget your standing before God in Christ: " But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a Holy Nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light."

• 1 month later...

Our good deeds are a form of "marketing" for God's kingdom. It brings more attention to the Lord and His ways and hopefully leads others toward that path. This marketing is actually the glorification of God as in extoling His ways by our good works. Blending in may cause others to stumble. They see a "Christian" doing XYZ and that leaves a bad taste in their mouth because we are supposed to be better examples for Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

Living openly as Christians increase God's praise by causing others to be curious about who you are and why you act the way you do. Which opens a door for you to tell them why you are at peace when the world around you is in turmoil. To tell them that you have a God that knows all and that He is always there to comfort you and encourage you to go on in His name. And to show people that they too can be conquers through Jesus Christ our Lord. Once they find out the truth the will rejoice and praise God also.

• 1 month later...

Living openly gives glory to God. We show the world what a glorious and joyful life we have This glorifies God and brings souls to him. In this way it gives praise to God.

Blending in makes us look like everybody else thus taking praise from God. People will think why turn to God your just like me so why bother. Thus hurting God.

I am instructed to live my life in a way that is holy and pleasing to God. To allow Him to transform my mind and to put off my old self.

In doing this I live a blameless life that will talk more about Jesus than anything I say.

If I blend in, I become so like the world that it cannot see me and therefore cannot see God. God not only cannot get praise from this lifestyle, I am responsible for those who should have gone to Heaven, but won't because of my lifestyle and also I am of no use to God.

May God in His infinite Grace and Mercy, forgive me all the times I have blended in and grant me re-submission to His plan for me and the ability to live a holy, pleasing life to Him now.

amen

• 1 month later...

God is Good. Being His followers, doing good is our way of worshiping Him. Christians should imitate Christ. The Spirit in us will shine such that it is seen by people around us and glorify our father in heaven. We are Christ ambassadors on earth whose duty is to influence the ungodly with our heavenly culture hoping to bring them back to God. :rolleyes:

There is no such thing as "secret service" christian. We should not blend with the ungodly. We have to be Christians in words and in deeds. God is pleased when we overcome obstacle to our faith. He is pleased when we overcome temptations. He is pleased when our faith survive the test of circumstances.

:rolleyes:

When others see how I live my life, when it is according to God's Word and will for my life, there comes peace and joy also. In a world full sad and hurting people, some will witness my life and want Jesus who fills my life. It results in greater praise to the Lord because the ones who came to know the Lord by seeing my life in Jesus will also offer up praises to Him.

When we blend in, we look and act just like those that are lost in darkness. There is nothing to set us apart from those who need to see Jesus.

• 1 month later...

The good deeds we commit by living as Christians increase God's praise as those before whom we live see the power of God working in us. There will be many who will immediately ascribe to God's mercy and grace at work in us. But for those who are blind to this grace we must continue being a witness to the world that it is only by God's grace that we exist and are empowered to do good. When we point others to God, we bring Him honor. Our "blending in" detract from God's praise when we allow his empowerment to be lumped together with that of the flesh, man's doing. We must live so that the world knows that the Spirit that dwells in us is His Holy Spirit and it is the Spirit of God that work in us to do good.

• 2 weeks later...

Blending in with the world appears to the world for Christians to be part of the world while to stand out increases God's praise because the world sees "God in us"

• 4 months later...

The good deeds we do for Christ will reflect him in us. When we show His love and kindness, people will notice. His light will shine through us. If we blend in, the world can not tell any difference in us and them. We will be like the world and God will not get any praise or honor.

As Christians we are part of the body of Christ His church and we need to do His will. As we all know the will of Christ is to serve as he did on earth. In doing His will by serving both God and man we lift up the name of God throughout the world and glorify His name. Those in service always stand out and are there to serve those around them, in the words of Jesus in Luke 22:27 "For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves."

we often tend to shy away from situations that put us in the limelight for fear of humiliation or persecution, we try to blend in and not be noticed. Just think if Jesus did this we might not have come to know Him. It was through His open service to both God and mankind that brought about His persecution and ultimate death on the cross.

Thank you Lord for being open in Your service, even to the point of total persecution and ultimately death on the cross. Thank you Lord that you stood up and were counted for us and that all who believe that you are the living son of god may have eternal life. Praise you King Jesus. Amen.

• 3 months later...

We are called by God to ' do good works '. We are not to be self-centred but outwardly look for ways in which we can bless, help and assist others. This is what it means to be a ' servant ' just as Christ came to earth to be a servant. We are told to be like Him. And as God's own Son, we will increase His, ie God's praise, when we are like Jesus, who was faultless, without sin.

For ' blending in ' read 'compromise'. We compromise our love for Christ when we conform to the world's ways. It is so easy to do this. It's the easy way out for us and often we prefer to remain silent in the company of our peers, when we should be speaking out for Jesus.

• 4 months later...

Q5.(2:12) How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise. How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

When we live openly as Christians we are being a light unto others and leading them toward the light of Christ that maybe they also will receive Christ as their saviour and also give praises to God. And when a lost soul gets saved all the angels in heaven rejoice.

When we blend in to this world then there is no light to lead any to salvation which cast out all chance of praise to God that saddens the Lord after all that He has done for us and then we refuse to shine for Him. We should always live a Christian life openly every where we go and in everything we do.

• 1 month later...

Jesus said that everything he did was what he saw the father do and was his father's will and for his father's glory. When we blend in we are not honoring or glorifying the father.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (2:12)

How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise.

How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

Our lifestyle should be distinctly Christian; we are to be living testimonies of His love and mercy towards sinners. It should serve to encourage others to follow our example, because it is through our actions of love that He calls unbelievers to Himself. Our conduct and deeds are evaluated constantly by unbelievers who want to see if we are indeed living the Christian life. If not, we are labelled as hypocrites, and this will turn people away from our Lord.

• 7 months later...

We are told to shine, to remain in HIM. When we shine and give it all to the Lord, then people know He is great.

When we blend in we are luke warm. God is not happy with this. It is the reverse o praise. It is hiding our light from Him.

We must examine ourselves when we notice we're doing this. Are we getting a spiritual attack? Is it time to call on Jesus or the Holy Spiriti to save us at that moment?

We are told to shine, to remain in HIM. When we shine and give it all to the Lord, then people know He is great.

When we blend in we are luke warm. God is not happy with this. It is the reverse o praise. It is hiding our light from Him.

We must examine ourselves when we notice we're doing this. Are we getting a spiritual attack? Is it time to call on Jesus or the Holy Spiriti to save us at that moment?

• 4 weeks later...

When others see Christ in us, when they see our good works, then our Father is glorified and we stand out as unique among worldly people who don't understand what it means to be Christlike and demonstrate God's love to others.Blending in gives no praise to God because how can God be glorified when we act, dress and talk just like the world.? We need to shine for Jesus and be the light He's called us to be in the evil times we are living in.