JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. Chosen One

• 1 month later...

Jesus was beloved and chosen by the Father to be His voice to the world, His representation on earth.  We owe Him our respect to honestly listen and consider what He says just because of that! He is The Word, the expression of God's mind and heart to man. He was chosen to reveal the Father and to restore man's severed relationship with God. His words are the only ones that are absolute truth, the only words of life that can bring us into the eternal Kingdom of God. The Father urged us to listen to Jesus because His message is the most critical and important one we will ever hear. And as we decide who/what to believe, we can't forget the truth that faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ (Romans 10:17). Who and what we listen to most is what we will believe.

As I take into account the setting of God's word from heaven spoken over the Son in Luke 9:35, I consider another aspect of this command to listen. Peter, John, and James were with Jesus on the mountain when Jesus' glory was briefly revealed in His transfiguration. Moses and Elijah appeared with Him in a glorified state, then disappeared to leave only Jesus before the disciples. Then the cloud of Shekinah glory descended on them with the voice of God exalting His Chosen One and exhorting the men to listen to Jesus. I can see this as a clear word from God to accept and value all that Jesus, the Word, had to say over all that had been given to them in previous times through the prophets.

I think of Paul's opening words in his letter to the Hebrews that set up a discourse on the supremacy of Jesus. He said “Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son...”. At the transfiguration when the prophets disappeared and only Jesus remained, this was a picture to me of Paul's words. God no longer speaks to man by giving His word to prophets. Those words of the first covenant were based on law, and they were fulfilled and put to death in Jesus when He was crucified. The words of Jesus are superior to the words of the first covenant, which are empty and powerless to bring us into relationship with the Father. God has now spoken to us by His Son, The Word, and this is the only One whose word we should seek and listen to. Knowing God's word of the old covenant is important and very instructive in understanding the new covenant in Christ. But when I want to know what God has to say now to me as His redeemed child, rather than seeking obsolete law, I must listen to Jesus. When I want to know where God wants me to go with my life, or how to relate to others, I must listen to Jesus. When I want to know what's wrong in my heart and my thinking, or how to rightly overcome challenges and adversities, I must listen to Jesus. When I want to know how to please the Father's heart, or understand my true identity and worth, I must listen to Jesus.

My attempts are imperfect, but I do seek the voice of Jesus. He reveals His Word for me as I study the Scriptures. He speaks truth to me through His Spirit. The fact that I have any depth of personal faith in who He is and what He says is made obvious by my love of His Word and an ever-growing desire to live by it. It becomes living and active in my life as I learn it, internalize it, and yield to it. Right now I most need Him more explicitly in determining direction in this stage of my life. Many formerly open doors have closed and I am trying to be patient in waiting for a new one to open.

Q6. (Luke 9:35) Since Jesus is God's Chosen One, what does it mean to "listen to him"? In what ways does your life reflect listening to him? In what ways do you need to heed him more explicitly?

"And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, 'This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to him!'" (Luke 9:35)

Tarry for clarity, obedience, & continued belief.

Q6. (Luke 9:35) Since Jesus is God's Chosen One, what does it mean to "listen to him"?

​I discovered some time ago that there is a difference between hearing and listening to someone. I can hear the words and not really listen and absorb and apply what I heard. So to listen to Him means to stop, and make sure I understand and am willing to take to heart and apply what I'm hearing....not just say Uh huh...and go on my way. I did that when He started to call me to REST....and I said uh huh....because I thought I knew what He was saying. It took a 3 month illness on my back to understand the difference. That pruned this branch of arrogance...and now I listen with my heart...not just my ears.

He alone has the Words of life. He alone knows the end from the beginning (I love that!....He sees the end and is not taken by surprise. He knows how to guide me to where He wants to take me, road blocks and obstacles included) He is all knowing and all Wisdom.

In what ways does your life reflect listening to him?

​I've grown in that area...I now listen for Him and to Him when He speaks. I want to hear Him. He's been training me in this area and to obey when I hear. I shared in our last study a powerful lesson in listening. I was alone in a lonely isolated area in my car in the winter with the windows rolled up, journaling and reading my Bible. I had parked so that I could look at the beautiful scenery in front of me, with my back to the entry into the parking area. Suddenly I heard the Lord in an adamant command  say "Go! Now!"  I put my pen and notebook down, started the car and circled the parking lot toward the only way in or out. As I reached the narrow place to exit I passed a car on the way in with a man driving. Our eyes met, and the hair on the back of my neck stood on end! I was looking into the face of evil! I realized how vulnerable I had been, and how he could

​ easily have blocked my exit with his car and I'd have been trapped, and no one around to hear me or to help me....and the Lord only knows what He delivered my from!

​ I'm so thankful for His training, and for His protection!

In what ways do you need to heed him more explicitly?

I've been in a long period of waiting and learning to trust Him in every area. He's stirring up an awareness that a change is coming....I'm eager but cautious and don't want to run ahead of His guidance....so I'm tuned in to listen carefully.

​He's been working with me to heal some of the deep wounds from childhood, and this also requires hearing and listening to His voice, and to renewing my mind with His Word.

He is God's chosen one--listen to Him--for He speaks as the Father directs.  Listening to Jesus, is listening to God.

My life is closer to Jesus each day.  You listen to Him, by reading His Word and obeying it!

I need to completely lay my life down for Him daily.

Q6. (Luke 9:35) Since Jesus is God’s Chosen One, what does it mean to “listen to him”? In what ways does your life reflect listening to him? In what ways do you need to heed him more explicitly?

As the Son of God and God’s Chosen One, it means that those who believe in and walk in obedience will “listen to him”; in so doing we are listening to the voice of God.  As a Christian my entire life reflects "listening to him" as it is God who from birth directed and ordained a path for me to follow.  With that said it is my duty to stay in right relationship with Him and follow his plan.

(Luke 9:35) Since Jesus is God’s Chosen One, what does it mean to “listen to him”? In what ways does your life reflect listening to him? In what ways do you need to heed him more explicitly?

To listen to Jesus is to be in obedience to God's command.  Jesus has God's power and authority, his words should be our final authority. In listening to Jesus and following his word, I find that I will not be led astray.  My life is free of stress and disappointments.  Sometimes I make decisions without praying about it and find myself in a big mess.  I need to remember to pray for God's guidance and listen for his answer.

Q6. (Luke 9:35) 

Since Jesus is God's Chosen One, what does it mean to "listen to Him"? 

In what ways does your life reflect listening to Him? 

In what ways do you need to heed Him more explicitly?

As God’s “Chosen One” and Son, the authority and power of Jesus comes directly from God.

It is therefore worth our while, in actual fact, imperative that we listen to Him. 

In John 14:15, Jesus said: “If you love me, you will obey what I command.”

The only way to know what He commands is to “listen to Him”, and we do this by studying and meditating on His Word.

Besides, by keeping the Words of Christ, we glorify God and His love is perfected in us. 

This love for Jesus is our incentive for obedience, and at the same time our obedience is proof of our love and trust. 

Being retired I’m in the fortunate position of being able to spend a large amount of time studying the Word. 

It is then for me, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to be obedient to His Word, to apply what I have learnt, and to daily become more and more like my Lord and Saviour Jesus.

This way I will bring glory to my Heavenly Father. 

Q6. (Luke 9:35) Since Jesus is God's Chosen One, what does it mean to "listen to him"? In what ways does your life reflect listening to him? In what ways do you need to heed him more explicitly?

Peter said to Jesus... "you have the words of eternal life (John 6:68b).  I heard on the radio this morning a preacher saying that the devil does his best to make Christian people so busy in the world that they have little time for building their spiritual lives and invest time in knowing God. Sometimes I think I have been sucked into being too busy, perhaps that is an excuse. I know that I need to spend more time praying and studying the bible in order to know God more.

We are to listen to Jesus and ignore everything that is not pointing to Jesus. God had two of the prophets at the transfiguration and God said that Jesus is the one we should be listening to. I hope that the things that I do and my attitude reflect listening to him. I am always need listening to Jesus more but I do let the earthly things get in my way.

Jesus is God's chosen One so who else would we listen to.  We do listen to the world sometimes however I hope I see before it is too late because listening to Jesus leads to life and health and listening to the world leads to sin and death. The only way I can keep the world out of my life is an active prayer life and reading the Word and then heeding what it says.

Psalm 119:173 says "Let your Hand become my help , For I have chosen Your precepts".  We choose who we listen too. I have chosen the Lord.  When I am misled by the enemy of my soul His Hand guides me in the way which I should go.  I do need to pray more and listen for His Voice.  I would save myself much grief.

God Bless

Jen

Psalm 119:173

It means to believe in Him being God's Son who came to redeem us by dying in our place. Jesus is our master, teacher and best friend. All we have to do is believed in Him being the Son of God who was born man. I would rather listen to Christ than to listen to sinful things of this world. I keep my mind on Christ because He knows what best for me. I give Him all the honor, praise and worship because He is my master and teacher.

"In John 15 Jesus speaks of being "the vine" and GOD the Father, the vinedresser. (the One who cares for the vine and it's branches) He tells us that we are now the branches and if we are to bear fruit, we must abide in the Vine.

Vs 5-8: "I am the Vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples."

Our lives will only reflect that part of Him that we allow to rule and reign in us. If we abide IN Him allowing Him to abide in us. The word 'abide' is to continue, to be constantly present, as the Holy spirit (John 14:16), and for us to continue in His Word, abiding in Him as we allow Him to abide in us.

We can't hear Him if we do not continue IN Him.

The disciples were given the privilege of actually hearing those words, "This is My beloved Son" but we have His Word.

We have, as Peter says (1 Peter 1:19-21) the "prophetic word confirmed" that is, we have His Word and it is by and through His Word that we can hear Him, but listening requires diligence.

"And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of GOD spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

We must not seek an audible voice, words spoken into the human ear. We are to rely on His Word making it the absolute template for all that we submit to and believe.

I give Him the first fruits of each day, trying diligently to obey 2 Timothy 2:15 which I believe to be more a command than a suggestion. 

Q6. (Luke 9:35) Since Jesus is God’s Chosen One, what does it mean to “listen to him”? In what ways does your life reflect listening to him? In what ways do you need to heed him more explicitly?

Luke 9:35 Jesus is God's "Chosen One", what is meant by "listen to Him" is the statement that God the Father spoke, from out of the cloud at the mountain of "Transfiguration". God's command to listen to him was that Jesus only proclaimed what he heard from His heavenly Father.

My life reflecting on the command "listen to Him" of Jesus in the New Testament, has taught me to obey the Lord's commands and be obedient to him.

The ways I need to heed him more explicitly is being led and following his spirit and not letting the flesh have it's way. 

Q6. (Luke 9:35) Since Jesus is God's Chosen One, what does it mean to "listen to him"?

It basically means to listen to God since Jesus is God's chosen One and also part of the Trinity so Jesus is God

I am but a toddler in the faith, I am still learning to listen to Him, learning to hear His voice.

I need to remember to bring all things to Him, I keep on forgetting to ask Him first.

My Answer: It means that listening to Jesus is the same as listening to God

My Answer: Today I am busy and distracted with a major home improvement project that is draining my energy and focus. I was tempted to put off my Bible study time to get on with my project. A still small voice, I believe is Jesus, prompted me to take the time to be with Him and work on my project afterwards. Thank You Jesus!

My Answer: I will continue with my home improvement project story...I would not have lost my peace and joy over this project if I had walked more closely with Jesus throughout the project's implementation. Had I placed my focus on Him, where it belongs, I would have enjoyed the journey so much more. He has been here with me the whole time yet I left Him behind to pursue my own agenda.

A. It is wisdom if we listen to the One God chose to bring salvation to us if not we would perish. 

I listen to Him through His written Word and try in His power to obey what He says.

My Answer: It means that listening to Jesus is the same as listening to God

My Answer: Today I am busy and distracted with a major home improvement project that is draining my energy and focus. I was tempted to put off my Bible study time to get on with my project. A still small voice, I believe is Jesus, prompted me to take the time to be with Him and work on my project afterwards. Thank You Jesus!

My Answer: I will continue with my home improvement project story...I would not have lost my peace and joy over this project if I had walked more closely with Jesus throughout the project's implementation. Had I placed my focus on Him, where it belongs, I would have enjoyed the journey so much more. He has been here with me the whole time yet I left Him behind to pursue my own agenda.

Q6. (Luke 9:35) Since Jesus is God's Chosen One, what does it mean to "listen to him?"                                                                                                                                                                                                                   In what ways does your life reflect listening to him? 

In  what ways do you need to heed him more explicitly?

1. Isaiah proclaims a Suffering Servant who would come and bring justice.                                    Jesus will bring justice to the nations.                                              

2. He is the living stone. We need to trust in him because he will never              put us to shame.'" (1 Peter 2:4, 6)

3. He will lead us and guide us if we heed to him. We can truly serve him       if we heed to him. We need to read and pray so that we can heed to him more.

• 4 weeks later...

As God’s Son, Jesus has God’s power and authority; thus, his words should be our final authority. If a person’s teaching is true, it will agree with Jesus’ teachings. Test everything you hear against Jesus’ words, and you will not be led astray. Jesus is our living rock, when we listen to Him we will not go astray.

By doing what Jesus tells me is reflected by my daily living. We should not be hasty to seek advice and guidance from merely human sources and thereby neglect Christ’s message. It is Him who gives us life.

Jesus is there for me all the time. He said in his word that He will not forsake or leave us alone.

• 2 years later...

It means to heed Him when He tells to do something or not do something. It also means listening to Him as you pray and not rushing off as you pray and not waiting for an answer. I spend time in His Word, in recovery for an eating disorder with a Christian sponsor and doing weekly meetings and answer questions to all my loops for my recovery and pray daily as well as do devotions. I need to spend more time waiting for answers to prayer and be more obedient to my mom as well.

It means that as His followers we are to pay close attention to what He says. We are to be willing to listen and to obey His teachings and commands. Because He is God’s Son and he died for us on the cross. We are to give Him our lives and everything we have. We are to obey when he tells us to do something even if we do not want to or do not like it.

In the fact that I spend time each day reading His word and praying.

I need to heed Him more when it comes to respecting others and not egg my daughter so much. I need to be less competitive and less jealous of others. I need to put Him first in my life and let go of other things. I need to clean up my language more and be a better example to my daughter and I need to seek Him for advice and wisdom more on my circumstances. I need to release any anger and bitterness I have and give it over to Him.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Q6. (Luke 9:35) Since Jesus is God's Chosen One, what does it mean to "listen to him"?  It means that we pay attention to Jesus' words above others.  It means that we hear and obey His words.  We respect them.  One time I asked God what to teach.  He pounded into my heart for a day and a half 'teaching them to obey all I have commanded you.'  I thought, What a novel idea - to teach what Jesus said to teach.  

In what ways does your life reflect listening to him? In what ways do you need to heed him more explicitly?  The top neurosurgeons gave up on me.  God showed me He was in control.  I spent every day meditating on one scripture.  I was healed and delivered in that place of peace.  After I was filled with the Holy Spirit His Word was alive to me.  The pastor I had taught me not to listen to anyone unless it confirmed with what God was speaking to me  through His Word and His Spirit   He taught me that God's Word was true and to believe it.  I would sit at my computer for hours writing messages.  One time I gave a message to a pastor.  I was called in.  I wanted to do the right thing and thought it was to applogize for speaking and submit to him.  Wrong....  The next day I saw the Holy Spirit go into the earth of my heart.  I cried for years and am still trying to get back to where I once was.  I believe these studies will help me.  God showed me the mistake I made.  I thought that they knew more than me because they said they were on the cutting edge of what God was doing.  God gives us His Holy Spirit and His Word so that we can learn the truth and not be deceived.  We need to be careful not to think that others know more than we do.   Jesus says His sheep know His voice.    . 

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q6. (Luke 9:35) Since Jesus is God’s Chosen One, what does it mean to “listen to him”? I think this is basically saying we should worship him as a God, which also means we heed his words as closely as possible.

In what ways does your life reflect listening to him? I pray as often as I can and try my best to adhere to the Jesus' teaching. His words are wise and are a fantastic foundation to keep oneself humble and gentle. 

In what ways do you need to heed him more explicitly? I think everyone can do more to heed God more closely and explicitly. I have professional aspirations that Jesus may view as self-centered but I think it's unrealistic for a person to be deprived of everything outside of worship. I'm a newspaper paper reporter and love my job. It is in many ways, being a messenger of sorts bec reporters deliver the message of truth our readers. We inform and educate.  

To reconcile this, I pray often and share my life as much as I can with the Lord so He knows that my work will never come between my love for Him. I have interests that I'm passionate but that is exactly that-- interests. Just bec I love my work, it doesn't mean I love my God any less.