JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Walking in Jesus' Steps

Christ Jesus “committed no sin” (v. 22), He was perfectly holy.  In fact, He was so incredibly sinless that He couldn’t be tempted (Matt 4:1-11) or provoked (John 18:22-23), nor did He ever speak a sinful, deceitful or indecent word (1 Peter 2:22).  I always strive to let Jesus’ example lead me but truthfully, I know that in my humanity I will never, ever attain anything close to that level of perfection.  But I have given myself over to Him and I trust that He’ll lead me to exactly where He wants me to go.  I know in my heart that without Christ in my life, if I’m provoked to sin I can never be exonerated if I actually commit it.  In my Christian walk I try my best to never allow any impulse to sin to be that overpowering because I know in my heart that I have a much more compelling reason to steer clear of it.

The righteous judgment of God will ultimately fall upon all of us and I know that I simply can’t give myself over to retaliation and revenge because of the cruelty and deceit of other people.  Even so, in my humanity I often fall far short of expectations but Jesus Christ died on the cross so that my sins can be forgiven and I have all the faith in the world that He will follow through on His promises.  “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.” (Psalm 23:6)

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (2:21-23) How does Christ's example speak to your situation? How is your behaviour going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

Christ’s example: we are called to follow in His steps!  This is both an honour and a huge responsibility.  We can’t do this in our own strength – we must be continually being filled with the Holy Spirit.  How can we achieve this?  (Through “brokenness”, hearing God in His Word, communing with Him in prayer, walking in the Spirit each day.)

I am reminded not to retaliate, to bear insults graciously, and to entrust myself to the judge of all the earth. To remember that once I did not know His love and acted badly myself. To realise that left to myself I would be capable of the same wrong behaviour.

Lord Jesus I thank your for your grace, and I seek to reflect your character in my life. I realise the gravity of these words – let them not be just a fanciful notion. How I need Your strength every moment of the day! 

• 6 months later...

4. (2:21-23) How does Christ's example speak to your situation? How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

I am learning to let God be God.

I am going to trust God more and not always take matters into my own hands.

On 2/21/2004 at 0:20 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (2:21-23) How does Christ's example speak to your situation? How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

• Christ's example speak to our situation because Christ suffered for what He knew nothing about, He committed no sin, no deceit yet He suffered for us and despite the pains He retaliated not. My behaviour is going to be different because I must be able to endure all situations whether good or bad base on what I see in Jesus' character in the passage.

On 2/28/2004 at 7:57 PM, Betty said:

When I read in this passage about how my Lord and Saviour was so meek and humble in the face of persecution and suffering, especially when He had done no wrong and was just being obedient to His Father out of love for me and everyone else, it convinced me that God is in control of the matter. Because of this, I must strive daily to deal with people in the same loving manner that Christ did.

Betty nailed it. Jesus was the definition of humble and meek. I'm not sure I can ever live up to that standard but I know I will have to try moment by moment. If we are honest, no one likes being wronged. Just writing it doesn't make me want to lower my head and resolve to respond biblically. I actually sat up a little higher in my chair thinking of my defense. Yet, we are not called to vindicate ourselves or play defense. To continue with the sports analogy, we are to play offensively by actively seeking peace, pursuing kindness, exhibiting the fruit of the spirit, and humbly trusting in Him to to be our advocate.

Q4. (2:21-23) How does Christ's example speak to your situation? How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

I do not work, disabled.. However, I try to give everyone respect. Somedays it is harder than others because I feel unrespected. 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2004 at 4:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. During times of persecution and suffering, Jesus' example has sustained me many times. He is the perfect expression of God's love during His suffering: No complaining, submitting to His Father in obedience, looking forward to the glorious outcome after the suffering, forgiving rather than reviling, didn't  plan revenge, nor threaten to seek it. He was sinless and undeserving and behaved as the magnificent spotless Lamb of God.

2. I pray that I will ask for His grace and mercy to behave in a manner which glorifies Him. He has reminded me several times in the past, that humility goes before honor....the cross before the crown. For Jesus who was sinless, and for me whose sins have been cleansed and forgiven.

After reading this passage, I find myself feeling, pretty embarrassed. I have much to learn from Jesus' example. Just a few days ago, I was  treated rather rudely at a deli at Walmart. The young lady didn't greet me when she waited on me, and she made me feel like I was bothering her with my order. I noticed her throwing my items in the counter as she was filling my order. I was in good spirits right up to the moment I decided to ask her kindly if she was having a bad day to which she answered coldly "I'm busy". Well, I will admit I left my deli items behind and told her "if that's how you are going to treat me , then I don't think I need these", thank you. She smiled at me and said "thank you" back.   Afterwards, I was helped to my car by a very nice older gentleman. A big difference in attitude. Anyway, I failed the test. I told God I was sorry for failing the test. Though I didn't yell, or throw a fit, I still admit I was hurt and retaliated by not taking my deli items with me. 

I had to pray and ask God to forgive me for how I reacted to that situation. I realized I still have a lot to learn from Jesus' example. I could have handled the situation at the deli differently. Maybe, I could of responded, "well, I'm sorry you're day has been real busy, I hope it gets easier, have a nice evening". So, I still have a lot to learn from the Master Teacher. Jesus set an example for us to follow and I will put my trust in Him and allow Him to form in me His character and let myself be guided by His Spirit and not my own.

Q4. (2:21-23) 
How does Christ's example speak to your situation? 
How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

The kind of behaviour to which we have been called is not an option to a believer; it is expected of us by our Lord. Yet we do not need to live that kind of lifestyle without help or without an adequate example, since Jesus Christ is the source for both our help and our example. We have been given the power of the Holy Spirit to help us truly follow Jesus’ example. Jesus has told us that if we let our light shine so that our good works are seen, our Father in heaven will be glorified.

Following Jesus’ example radically changes my actions. As an example, I must not retaliate when done an injustice or spoken harshly to. As a sinner saved by grace, there is so much work to be done as I react in love and follow the example of my Lord. To disobey even a harsh master is to sin, but to obey with bitterness or anger is also sin. Love is the only motive which is acceptable to God for any and all of our behavior (1Cor 13:1-3). Indeed, we should follow the steps of Christ who did everything with the motive of love. What a difference that makes in our attitude and conduct.

(2:21-23) How does Christ's example speak to your situation? How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

The suffering that Christ did for me was the least I could do is to follow his example.  When we follow Christ's example, we live for others.  In that, we might suffer too.  Our goal should be to face suffering with calmness, patience, and the confidence to know that God is in control.  

Q4. (2:21-23)

Q. How does Christ's example speak to your situation?

A. The Lord Jesus entrusted Himself to the hands of His Father. He thus did not:

i) Pour out offensive words in defense

ii) Retaliate to the harsh treatment

iii) Threaten His enemies and

iv) Twist his words or engage in half truth

Q. How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

A. I will by the grace and empowerment, learn to take my situations to the Lord God Almighty and thus casting my cares to Him because He cares 1Peter 5:7 and Philippians 4:6-7

On 2/20/2004 at 6:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Christ examples show us how we are to react to being treated unfairly, for he did not retaliate against oppressors.

Seeing and being aware of Christ character should provide a good example for me to follow. 

I see people who have become talented "spin doctors" in their life. From experience, I have felt the temptation to put a positive light on a wrong doing.  I also have felt the urge to make a "statement" when I feel excluded or unimportant. Now, since I have committed my life to God and The teachings of Christ, I feel a peace about life and don't have the need to react or be defensive.  I remind myself every time those feelings surface and stop myself in my tracks.  God is too great for me to continue with such foolishness. ❤️

I will attempt to keep my mouth shut and when I do speak, say only the truth in love,  not retaliation. By trusting in God completely and resting in Him, I can overcome difficult times which sure are to come. None of this easy nor will I always succeed, but by the grace of God, I have another chance. 

Q4. (2:21-23) How does Christ's example speak to your situation? How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

1. I should have no deceit in my mouth; I should not retaliate when I am mistreated. I should be like Jesus and entrust myself to God.

2. My behavior will cause me to be loving,not to retaliate and to remember that God said,“Vengeance is his. I will be like Jesus.

I am happy to be His child. He give me Family, friend, Neigbor are peole Close for learn his love eachother and forgive eachother also help eachother.

Oneday i had biggest Problem  some friend of them made me sad, they went  or made distance from me.

Because of that I believe only my God is my Savior in bad or good Situation my life. He save me all the time.

Now I wqnt to know Him more from His character for application in all Situation.

On 2/21/2004 at 0:20 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Christ's example speak to our situation because Christ died for us and blood shed on the speak on our behalf as He suffered for what He knew nothing about, He committed no sin, no deceit yet He suffered for us and despite the pains He retaliated not. My behaviour is going to be different because I must be able to endure all situations whether good or bad base on what I see in Jesus' character in the passage.

• 3 weeks later...

the example of Jesus is one that we can follow to our great advantage. There are several things that Jesus did not do when he was confronted by evil man - he did not send with his words, he did not deceive his accusers, he didn't retaliate and he did not threaten his accusers. What Jesus did do was to trust his father in Heaven.

the least that we can do is to try and take Jesus as our example. No, we are on able to come up to his standards of perfection but we can try our best to do what we can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

See Christ as He suffered and said not a word. Is is this character that we should seek to emulate and to practice so that in every suffering moment we look to Him and glorify Him as He leads us on.

• 6 years later...

How does Christ's example speak to your situation? How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

This passage was a huge check on my words. Right now, I am trying to defend my elderly father from our government. He/I have done nothing wrong. It is insanely difficult to say kind words, not indulge in half-truths, not want to retaliate against bureaucrats who have harmed him/me, not allow myself to call in powerful people I know who could destroy those bureaucrats, and most of all, trust God to right this wrong.

It's the last part that's so difficult. Trusting God. In the midst of this gross injustice, I can't help but to wonder why God allowed this to happen in the first place; since He is in control and this evil did happen, how can I expect him to right the wrong and bring justice? After all, Jesus never got worldly justice. The wrong that was done to him in this life was never righted by the courts or the public. Injustice, maligned reputation, intense pain and suffering ... this was God's will. God even planned this. 

Similarly, the apostles and some Christians have been martyred. It is very very very difficult to trust a God that did NOT protect some of his most ardent followers, those who loved Him the most. I cannot help but to think, "Compared to the apostles ... compared to Paul ... I am nothing. A mere spiritual worm. So, if God didn't rescue these godly men and women, why should I expect Him to rescue me?"

I am afraid. Afraid of God's painful definition of Goodness. Afraid of how he actualizes what He says is His love/goodness in my life. I will do my best to obey Him and follow these five responses that Jesus showed us, but do so with great sadness, fear and distrust. I worry about the ramifications of my belief in Him. God seems more harsh than a God love and goodness, the Abba father. 

To sum, I fear God more than Iove Him.

• 2 weeks later...