JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Walking in Jesus' Steps

Q4. (2:21-23) How does Christ's example speak to your situation? How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

( 1 Peter 2: 21,22,23,24 )

" To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps.

" He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in His mouth."

When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate; when He suffered, He made no threats, Instead, He entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly.

He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by His wounds you have been healled.

" To this you were called..... " Called to what? Called to suffer. Oh, isn't that wonderful. I thought I was coming to Christ to get away from all that nonsense in the world and now you tell me that I can expect suffering? No, I don't tell you that at all. God does.

Does He not tell us in ( John 15: 20 ) " Remember the words I spoke to you: ' No Servant is greater than His master. ' If they persecuted me, they will perscute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.

( verse 21 ) They will tear you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me.."

I know this can be hard for us to get excited about, but what Jesus is saying is that you are not of this world. As a result this world will sometimes use that as an excuse to take advantage of you or abuse you or insult. And the reason they do that is because we belong to Christ. Light and Darkness will clash at times and we shouldn't be to surprised. But we shouldn't use that as an excuse to sin either. That's Peter's point.

We need to be "God conscious", instead of " self- conscious" in any given situation that wants to bury us, knowing God is always there for us.

( verse 21 ) "" To this you were called, becasue Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His footsteps.

No. Jesus Christ didn't come to simply be an example, He came to die for the penalty of our sins so that we might be reconciled to the Father and share eternity with Him.

The tragedy in all of this is that despite His sinlessness He still suffered unjustly. But that was precisely what the Father planned for His Son so that in Him we might not have to suffer the penalty we deserved for our sin, which is eternal seperation from Our God.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a Christian these days in this land is so much more "convenient" than in other times in history and in other places. Sometimes the lack of persecution can make us soft and apathetic. When a confrontation arises, it's hard not to tell the person off and go gossip to others about how awful what they did was. Jesus' example will help me hold my tongue and resist retaliation.

• 2 weeks later...

My Lord's faith was so strong and He did it to be an example to us. So He endured it all. We must trust Him to give us the strength and we will be able to show the real meaning of being a follower of Christ. I must trust My Lord with my whole being inorder to endure the way He did. I can't in my own strength take it. I will want to lash out. But if I listen and obey Christ Jesus I will be a good example of Him. I sometimes repeat to myself when things get hard to hold in. "If I hold my peace and let the Lord fight my battles then victory shall be mine."

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (2:21-23) How does Christ's example speak to your situation? How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

It shows us how react to situations in out life. We are to trust in God,not retaliate or fall back on or sin nature to handle the situation. We put out trust in the Lord.

Praise God that whatever human difficulties I face, through Him I am MORE THAN A CONQUEROR. I claim the victory in Him that I do not exist, but He does and all that matters is my life being a witness to Him.

While called to suffer injustice, I am not called to be a doormat or to stay in abusive or violent situations, I am called to glorify and honour God.

I pray for the wisdom to know when to go, when to stay, when to speak, when to be silent, when it is my self screaming for attention and what really matters in the situation.

Thank you Pastor Ralph that I am now on the right path and heading in the right direction.

• 1 month later...

Christ example is the perfect example for a believer to emulate. It should remind us whenever we behave differently from that of Christ. It should be our ultimate goal to possess the character of Jesus as we grow in our faith of Him.

Following the examples of Christ will produce in me a different behavior because Christ is the perfect model to follow. In Him their is no wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I will continue serving Christ with his help I will be stronger and more faithful.

• 4 months later...

Christ's example in my situation's have taught me a lot, how to become like Him. My behavior is different because I am putting on Jesus' character. Through every situation, test, or trial we need to ask God to make us more like Him. To teach and lead us in His foot steps. Teach us to use our faith to trust in Him with all our heart.

In our daily walk with the lord we often allow anger and verbal abuse that is shown toward us to deeply affect us. We either retaliate in a like manner or build up a resentment toward those who oppose us.Both of these views ultimately move us away from God and bring His name into disrepute.We must always remember that we are disciples of Christ and as such must behave in a manner which will bring glory and honor to His name.

When the secular world looks at us and the way we behave toward them it does one of two things, it either makes them want to be like us or it gives them reason to attack our belief system and in doing so bring more ridicule upon the name of our lord.

Father teach us to become more like Your Son our precious savior and King,pour out Your grace upon us in our daily walk with You and put Your words in our mouths in times of persecution. in Jesus name we ask this Amen.

• 3 months later...

Christ's example shows me not to retaliate, or even worse 'want to send someone to hell'. God will wreak revenge and it is not up to us to do so. I do retaliate because of the hurt I suffer when I should 'bite my tongue' and remain silent, which is what Jesus would have done in most of my situations. However, when I should rightfully speak up because of the extreme immorality of a situation, which I have done, I believe it is justified in Christ.

In future I am going to try to be more controlled, more patient and do what I believe Jesus would have done. When I am hurt and saddened by situations I need to immediately reflect on what Jesus' reaction would have been. Most often it is not to retaliate, but in love right the situation.

• 2 months later...

It continues to strengthen me so that I will not make the mistakes of the past by flying off the handle. I must remain focused at all times without being taken advantage of...My behavior will be different because of the God in me through the the teachings of His Son.

• 1 month later...

How does Christ's example speak to your situation?

Christ's example of humbleness really touches me every time I read it and it causes me to take another look at myself and see just how imperfect I am. Therefore causing me to fall on my knees and pray that God helps me to be stronger that I may be more like Him. God lets me know that if I trust Him then I can get through any situation I may have to go through.

How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

I am going to try and seek Him more to do His will that I will be a greater light and example to this world that I live in so that others through me might see Jesus' character in me.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I know that I can't heal people by touching them, but He has taught me to see better when someone passing is hurting in some way. Then it is simple, do it, look long enough, and with humility and empathy, to see if they want help; and if not move on. Try in some way to shine, and again with humility as a servant, and pass it on, in all situations.

Be humble, alert, careful and respectful, we don't have Jesus' power, since we live in this fallen world and haven't spent three years directly walking with him in the physical plane. But let's try to do the best we can, God is watching!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Q4. (2:21-23) How does Christ's example speak to your situation?

We are going to face trials and tribulations, for the wrong and the right that we do each day. How we respond will show our spiritual maturity. We need to learn to trust God with the final result, believe and accept that He will right all the wrong things, we have no right to retaliate!

How is your behavior going to be different because of what you see in Jesus' character in this passage?

I need to evaluate every situation in the light of the Heavenly Kingdom. I need to learn when to remain silent or to confront in love. I need to trust & rely on God in every situation believing that His way is best and that He will use/change the situation according to His purpose.

• 3 weeks later...

It speaks to my weakness in that I suffer little when compared to what Christ went through. I only deal with worry and want not the beating He endured. I need to grow in my gratitude and thankfulness to Him and learn to trust more. I need to learn more self-control in time when things aren't going as I think they should.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (2:21-23) How does Christ's example speak to your situation?

In my situation I'm not persecuted for my faith. At least I don't think that's the motivation behind the persecution I do suffer. I work in the music industry full time as a performer and touring act. I'm also totally self-represented, having no agent or manager. I'm a one man operation. That leaves me vulnerable to the power brokers in the industry, all the more so since I'm high profile and very busy. I'm working in venues where the booking agencies would love to have exclusivity. They can't come up with anyone good enough to make me look second rate so they attack my character instead. I hit back for years in my blog and my weekly newsletter and got them all angry enough to look at a class action suit against me. I was given a heads up and had to delete everything, just in time too because my hit counter was going off the scale with one woman in particular trying to copy all my blog entries to use against me. She was the main instigator, and for no other reason than her top gun guy felt extremely insecure if I played the same places he played.

I've learned from this study . . . and from experience . . that I should just keep my mouth shut, and my hands off the keyboard, as the case may be, and let God handle things. Retaliation will get me nowhere. These days I keep a positive spin on everything I write in my newsletter and in conversations with venue managers I keep the negative comments about my detractors to a minimum.

I'll be sure to try even harder to not denigrate my many enemies. This thing is ongoing. They'll never stop trying to shut me down and I need to just do my job and keep the good relationships I've built with the places I play and not knock anyone else.

• 6 months later...

4a)Even though Jesus was insulted, physically tortured, mentally and physically abused he didn’t retaliate when he suffered, he committed no sin, wasn’t tempted,he was open and honest under pressure, he didn’t threaten but totally put his trust in our heavenly father to right all wrongs, and was at peace in his suffering. If he can do this for me,I can try and live my life as free of sin as I can and follow his example. I want to claim that peace and that comes through trusting Jesus and know it even more deeply at all times.

b)I am going to carry out my work to the best of my ability, trusting that my Father will equip me and as I depend on Him even when difficult. Not going to let how other people treat me,even when unfair,change the way I live and think.Going to turn the cheek.

• 1 year later...

In the US, we have suffered from trials and hardships, but so far, we have not been persecuted like Christians in other parts of the world.   However, things are changing and Christians are beginning to be persecuted not with physical torture and death but with insults, ridicule, lost jobs, and lawsuits for refusing to do something society and the law approve of but God does not.  Now is the time to learn to retaliate against our enemies Jesus' way:  agape-love them, do good to them, bless them, and love them some more as we pray for them  (Luke 6:27-31; Matthew 5:43-45).

• 1 month later...

In seriously living for the Lord, Jesus' situation vis-à-vis the satanic world system is the same situation all followers of Christ find themselves in.  The world around us doesn't like Biblical living or views.

Jesus set the example for His followers in these situations by not allowing Himself to be lured into a situation where He would react as the world acts and reacts. Diminishing Himself. In fact, being manipulated by Satan.  In reality, this life is not the end all be all.  So as Christians we should act like that.  We should conform our actions to the way Kingdom Citizens should act as outlined in the Sermon on the Mount and allow God to deal the situation as He knows best and most effective. The days of this corrupt and wicked world are numbered.  We must remember that when we act on anything.

Peter highlights Jesus' Holy, pure, and self-controlled character in this passage.  An example we must emulate for the glory of God.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Christ is peaceful, loving and kind. He showed love even to those who killed wrongfully, one think I know is that I am the sinner, it would have been right for me to die. God loves us so much that He gave His Son to die for us. Daily I am growing stronger in the Lord. Thank you Jesus Christ.

• 5 months later...

Christ example speaks in my situation by not retaliating against our employers or our enemies that hate us. We do not threaten or deceive them, we are to trust that God will enter into our situation and resolve it. This must be a supplication to the Lord through prayers and maybe fasting.

Because Jesus sets an example for us to follow it is imperative we obey by his example. By not retaliating when being falsely accused, by not deceiving others and not threatening anyone. We should not let them try to pressure us into sinning against them or God.