JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Dying to Sin, Living for Righteousness

On 2/25/2004 at 10:14 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (2:24b) If Jesus died to set us free from sin's power, why does sin have such power over us still? According to 2:24b, how must we deal with sin? In practical terms, how can we "die to sin"? In everyday language, what does "live for righteousness" mean?

1. Unfortunately our old man (our flesh) still has the ability to rise up from "the dead"....because although we have the provision to no longer sin, we still have our free will and can choose to ignore the Holy Spirit's prompting and the way of escape He provides. (What amazing Grace He extends to us)

2. It's a choice we make to "crucify" our flesh (**** of the eye, **** of the flesh and the pride of life). We now have the option to NOT sin, but it requires that we ask the Holy Spirit to help us overcome the temptation to sin as it arises, as it will until we are in Heaven with Him.

3. For me it means to try to walk surrendered  to the Holy Spirit's control...which when I do, He directs my steps in righteousness....walking according to the Spirit rather than the flesh. It also means for me to spend lots of time in His Presence, pressing in for more of Him, reading the Bible daily with intention to grow in grace and knowledge of Him. It also suggests seeking Him in prayer and praise and worship. (I just learned after all these years that prayer IS worship, in that it positions us in surrender and subjection to His Sovereignty) We're never to old to learn and to stay in relationship with our precious Lord in freshness!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/26/2004 at 1:14 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (2:24b) If Jesus died to set us free from sin's power, why does sin have such power over us still? According to 2:24b, how must we deal with sin? In practical terms, how can we "die to sin"? In everyday language, what does "live for righteousness" mean?

Sin has power over us because we slaves to it. We are in this world. Gal 5:16-17 tells us to walk in the Spirit so that we do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Our flesh craves things, desires things, wants things that are all contrary to what God wants for us. How do we combat this? We walk in righteousness. We plead the blood. We feed ourselves the Word. We constantly meditate on His goodness. We can't win without this. if we do not, we run the risk of giving into temptation all the time. We must die to sin by throwing off that which easily distracts us (good or bad), that which keeps us away form our main calling and our main work in the Kingdom. Live for righteousness means live a life pleasing to God, every moment, loving God and loving others as yourself. 

Q4. (2:24b)

Q. If Jesus died to set us free from sin's power, why does sin have such power over us still? According to 2:24b, how must we deal with sin?

A. Because we are still living in a sinful world where the devil still fights to keep us under his dominion. We however must die to sin as Jesus died that we may live to righteousness.

Q. In practical terms, how can we "die to sin"? In everyday language, what does "live for righteousness" mean?

A. It means we must put away our old desires and habits by the power of the Lord God Almighty and fix our mind on things that from above, think of those things which are wholesome and Godly. Phil 4:8; Col 3:1-3

(2:24b) If Jesus died to set us free from sin's power, why does sin have such power over us still? According to 2:24b, how must we deal with sin? In practical terms, how can we "die to sin"? In everyday language, what does "live for righteousness" mean?

Sin has power over us still because Satan is constantly watching and waiting for a weakness in our flesh to devour us.  We must stay in prayer to defeat the temptations Satan will throw our way.  We die to sin when we confess that Jesus died, buried and rose again.  We take off that old nature and put on the new nature.  Live for righteousness mean to live your life for Christ.  Follow Him as an example.  We can start by putting into practice the fruits of the spirit. 

Sin still has power over us because we occupy space in this world....evil surrounds us everyday.  When we take our eyes off the prize, our loving God and Jesus Christ, we are ripe for evil and sin to move in when we least expect it.  For me, reading the Bible and praying every single day is the only way I can remain aware of my surroundings.  

The reason that sin still has power over us is because we are in the world and we can see what the world is doing. Sometimes that looks pretty good to us and we have to resist that temptation. When we resist temptation then we “die to sin”. To “live for righteousness” we are trying not to give in to our temptations. We are trying to follow Jesus.

We are weak.  We do not read God’s words.  We are caught up in the sinful distractions of the world that keep us from knowing God.  

We have to deny ourselves, take up the cross and follow Jesus.  We have to give up our sinful way of life, and follow Jesus through our faith and love, wherever He leads us.  We have to become disciples  of Christ.

We can die to sin spiritually by being partakers of the life of Christ.  We are totally dependent on God for life.  Without His intervention, we would be dead in sin forever.

‘Live by righteousness’ means to obey God.  We must take up the cross and follow Jesus, proclaiming His resurrection.  We have to oppose the evils of this world.  ‘Whoever believes in the Son, has eternal life’.  John 3:36.

Q4. (2:24b) 
If Jesus died to set us free from sin's power, why does sin have such power over us still? 
According to 2:24b, how must we deal with sin? 
In practical terms, how can we "die to sin"? 
In everyday language, what does "live for righteousness" mean?

Sin still has power over us since we all were born with a tendency to sin; not only in our individuals acts but also in our attitudes. We are all sinners and it is only by the grace of God that we are saved. When we become believers the Holy Spirit helps us in our fight against sin. We will still sin but not so often, and when we do, we immediately repent and ask for forgiveness. Jesus Himself bore our sins so that we might ‘die to sin’ and live to righteousness. We live for God; our old nature is dead. 

Live for righteousness means we live by faith on the righteousness of Christ. In this world we obliged and should live a godly, good, and moral life if we fully appreciate the precious blood our Lord and Saviour spilt for our sins – for our salvation. Righteousness becomes the rule in our lives, and we sin less and less. 

On 2/26/2004 at 6:14 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The sin still have power over us because the world and everything in it are corrupted. We are sinful by nature as we inherited sin from our forefathers. We would deal with sins by His grace to live a life of righteousness and constantly reading, studying and meditating in the words of God. In practical terms we die to sin by living righteousness life by obeying and observing His words. In everyday language, live for righteousness simply mean living rights with God that obeying His words and commandments.

On 2/26/2004 at 6:14 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is so significance to me personally that Jesus Christ a sinless man and God descended so low to have compassion on a sinner like me and bored my sins. I can't imagine it. It is an evidence of telling me that He really created and have sympathy on all His creations no what their situations are. I will do anything to reciprocate His unmerited and unconditional love towards me a sinner.

I am an imperfect human being. Only Jesus lived on this earth in complete and perfect goodness. I need to complete my time on this earth by walking and resting in faith. I want to live a life with my goal to be more like Jesus, not because that will save me (that is legalism), but because I love Jesus and am thankful that He died for my salvation.

On 2/26/2004 at 0:14 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Though Jesus set us free from sin, we are still tempted to sin. But, through Christ and the Holy Spirit we have the power to overcome temptation and sin.

According to 1 Peter 2:24 we are to die to sin and live for righteousness.

In everyday language righteousness means living as Christ lived, he was holy so we are to be holy, striving to be righteous.  

Q4. (2:24b) If Jesus died to set us free from sin's power, why does sin have such power over us still? According to 2:24b, how must we deal with sin? In practical terms, how can we "die to sin"? In everyday language, what does "live for righteousness" mean

Sin can continue to have power over us if we allow it to. The same power that Jesus had to defeat sin has been given us, but we need to exercise that power by crucifying the flesh and it's selfish desires. As long as we live in this sinful world, we will struggle with sin. We must put on the whole armor of God to be able to withstand every evil dart that the enemy throws at us. This includes bad thoughts, evil desires, reckless behaviour, such as lying, cheating, envy, ****, drunkardness, etc.

We need to heed the word of God which says to focus on those things that are "true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable". God gave us the Holy Spirit to empower us. It takes personal discipline and commitment.

Living for righteousness means pleasing God and doing His will. Being obedient, walking in truth, praying for others, helping the less fortunate, feeding the poor, defending the helpless, sharing the gospel of peace, etc.  These are acts of righteousness. God with us and in us, and through us will bring about fruits of righteousness, for God is righteous!

Q4. (2:24b) If Jesus died to set us free from sin's power, why does sin have such power over us still? According to 2:24b, how must we deal with sin? In practical terms, how can we "die to sin"? In everyday language, what does "live for righteousness" mean? 

1. Sin has power if we do not deny our self and take up our cross daily and follow Jesus.  We must die to our old selfish, sinful way of life and then follow Jesus wherever he leads us.

2. We must die to sins and live for righteousness by obeying God.

3. We must be buried with Jesus through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

4. Putting away what we do and putting on the ways of God.Following God according to his will.Reading, fasting, and praying continuously.

• 2 weeks later...

because we are such weak and frail people with no resistance sin still has a power over us because of this weakness. We must live by righteousness for By His wounds we are healed.

we can only die to send by putting our faith and our trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. In no other way can we be saved for he bore our sins in his body on the tree that we may die to sin.

to live to righteousness is to live our lives in Christ. Responding to him in such a fashion

I guess the same reason why Saul failed God; we despise  or do not trust the word of God. Despite being renewed (both us and Saul) we do not fully appreciate God's anointing of a clean (new) heart through the Holy Spirit. Figuratively speaking , while we cannot fake death, we somehow fail to realize we were to throw out our old selves and rely on our new self, and even if that happens over time, and we mature in Christ, in the end we forget to throw out our old self, which remains in the background, silently influencing our decisions and choices.. How must we deal with sin? Trust God to deliver on His promises and let His Spirit burnt like a blazing fire in our souls through the word of God and prayer (or vice-versa). While we do that we access God's grace into spiritual maturity, meaning that we get a fresh cross daily and leave it at His ( paid up) cross and follow His commands and precepts. Peractically speaking we can let go of sin by giving up pride, ego and prestige and trust God's word as we know it and truly love our neighbour's as ourselves

We still have our sin natures.  When we accept Christ's gift and let Him be Lord of our lives, we are not a slave to sin.  The Holy Spirit gives us power to choose righteousness.

Nip it in the "bud."  Choose to live for Jesus  Pray for the Holy Spirit's power to say no to sin and to live in righteousness instead.

Live for righteousness is live in Christus orientation, He is our Father in Heaven, He has miracle power.

We must make our good relationship with Him and communication everytime.

After that  correction be better life how God will. Amin.

• 4 weeks later...

Sin has such power over us, still, because it is a curse on the world that will be in the world until Christ returns.

According to 2:24b, we must deal with sin by believing that we are made whole by the stripes Jesus suffered.

In practical terms, we can "die to sin" by trusting in the wounded Savior and allow the atonement of the cross to bring us a living salvation.

In everyday language,  "live for righteousness" mean to living in the Spirit, being led by the Spirit; living with the mind of Christ within us. 

• 6 years later...

I have often wondered why sin is so stubborn when Christ’s death set us free from the power of sin and healed us. When I was baptized, I came out of the water … myself. I wasn’t transformed in any way but spiritually, and even that had a delay built in.

Dying to sin, then, at least in my experience, is a slow grind against my own human nature and tendencies, a desperate plea to God for the strength and persistence to carry on. 

LIVING to righteousness is the painfully slow process of shedding a sin or two committed today, again tomorrow and the next day, until a tentative perception of change can be felt.