JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Hindering Your Prayers

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH! HOW GRATEFUL I AM TO BE ALIVE TODAY

AND BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE WITH MY BROTHERS

AND SISTERS: (BROTHER AL, SISTER KAS AND HELEN)

ALL OF YOU ARE SO RIGHT ON.

I AM GOING TO ADD THIS TIME MY HUMBLE OPINION.

LET'S SAY THAT FOR SOME ODD REASON I MISSTRITED

MY WIFE, THE FIRST THING THAT COMES INTO PLACE

IS THE DESIRE TO MAKE AMENDS TO HER. EXPLAIN

THOROUGHLY MY ACT OF REPENTANCE AND BE VERY

SINCERE, LETING HER KNOW THAT BY ME ACTING

THE WAY I DID TOWARDS HER, NOT ONLY OFFENDED

HER BUT ALSO Y OFFENDED GOD.

SOME PLACE IN THE SCRIPTURES SAYS THAT IF WE

WANT TO COME TO OFFER OURSELVES TO GOD

BETTER MAKE AMENDS WITH THE ONES WE HAVE

WRONG AND AFTER THAT THEN COME AND MAKE

YOUR OFFERING.

KNOWING THIS AND HAVE A NEW AWARENESS OF

AN INCREDIBLE WAY OF LIVING SOBER, MEANING

SOUND OF MIND AND BODY I DON'T EVEN THINK

OR ATTEMPT TO OFFEND NOT ONLY MY WIFE

THAT I LOVE DEARLY, BUT ANY OF MY COWORKERS

AND BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN THE FELLOWSHIP

OF THE SPIRIT OF CHRIST JESUS.

THE ROAD IS NARROW, BUT SO MUCH FURFILLING.

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU ALL.

Q5. (3:7) How can treating one's wife wrongly hinder a husband's prayers. How can treating a husband wrongly hinder a wife's prayers?

The true head of the family is God himself. As husband and wife, they are accountable in their deeds and actions to HIM. God hates hypocrisy. He hates when we potray different appearances in public and at home. God looks at the inner being and the condition of our hearts. Surely if the condition of the heart is not right, husband's or wife's prayer will be hindered!

When the husband or wife mistreats their spouse, and they act one way in church and another way at home, this is being a hypocrite. God will not listen to any prayers that is offered to him. Until the husband or wife repents for the sin they have committed.

• 3 weeks later...

When you read Zechariah you get the full impact of what it means to not be heard by God. It is true for both the husband and the wife that to pretend not to hear God and deliberately disobey God and then act as if their behavior is justified will lead to blindness to the truth. We must be open and honest before God. I know I'm not able to handle every situation that comes up in my marriage without God. I don't want to be alone when dealing with everyday life with my husband and he doesn't want to be alone when dealing with me either. If we stay in the Word and don't pretend that we don't need God to help us treat each other right then we are repentant and humble before God. We admit that we are incapable of living the kind of married life that God intends if we are without Him. I want God to hear me and my husband when we pray. Every commonplace thing is touched with the glory of His presence when the Lord is the center of your life.

• 1 month later...

Wrong treatment of another person is indicative of a heart in opposition to God and, if that person is unrepentant and refuses to confess his sin to God and ask forgiveness of the offended person, it creates a "sin barrier" that interrupts fellowship with God. Positively, 1 John 1:9 promises those who confess their sin are able to receive forgiveness and cleansing from all unrighteousness. This restores the God-man fellowship that God desires and is best for all people--man or woman. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Q5. (3:7) How can treating one's wife wrongly hinder a husband's prayers. How can treating a husband wrongly hinder a wife's prayers?

For two people in a relationship to treat one or the other wrongly, then it takes the focus off doing the will of Father, and puts it on self.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that if I'm argumentive with my husband I am not showing purity of heart, I am not following what Christ tells me in the scriptures. The husband looks for moral purity in his wife, as a believer, and if we don't

live in purity it could turn our Husband away from the faith. We are to be adorned in purity of heart. Yes, we must be attractive to our husbands, and as a woman who cares about her man we want to be, but most importantly, it's what's in the heart that really matters. This shows reverence toward God. We wives should all be like Sarahs.

Husbands are to love us as Christ loves the church. That is with a love

that knows no boundaries. We are the weaker partner, not necessarily in bodily structure, but in the way our husbands should treat us. A husband should show his wife he cares for her, help her out, give her great love, show compassion. Isn't this what Christ does for His church? We women are to be submissive to our husbands, but when we're treated badly we may turn away from him. Jeanne E. Willman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

When we treat each other wrongly this shows that our heart is not in harmony with God. Proverbs 15:29 says "The Lord is far from the wicked but he hears the prayer of the righteous".

• 7 months later...

If we act "wrongly" against another person or even have a wrong "attitude" or possibly a negative attitude towards them, we are sinning. And we all know that God cannot bless sin. (God's ears are not attentive to our prayers until we repent and ask for forgiveness.) Why would God do anything for you when you purposefully or knowingly mistreat others or think of yourself as more superior than any other human being that God created. I believe that this applies to wives as well.

• 1 year later...

It is clear from Peter 3:1-7 how a husband must treat his wife and a wife, her husband. This follows and is consistent with the teaching of our Lord as we would expect. If we stray from this we are ignoring the teaching of Scripture. When we do this we are sinning against God by turning away from His teaching, turning away from the kingdom of heaven. Rebelliousness against God is a sin; a very dangerous sin which leads us away from Him and into the clutches of Satan. It was the cause of sin coming into the world and our being in a state of sin before we were born again in Jesus. As James says, "the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." [James 5:16] Righteousness is a condition of effective prayer. Conversely unrighteousness thwarts or hinders prayer. Another condition of effective prayer is not to be in a state of sin. "If I have cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened." [Psalm 66:18] The proper behaviour of a husband towards his wife is a requirement of Christian living.

• 5 months later...
:) When a man treats his wife wrong it shows that he has no respect for her and it also shows his character. A man that would treat his wife wrong is probably a very selfish person. And we know that selfishness will hinder one's prayers. But even more, God doesn't listen to the prayers of hypocrites and sinners.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

God demands that we treat our wives with respect and honor. Not to do so is disobeying God and is sinful. John writes: "We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does His will." JN 9:31.

If I treat my wife without respect and cause hurt, pain and bitterness which could lead her into a sinful response, I may be wrongfully hindering my wife's prayers.

Sin and hypocrity block God from hearing ours prayers.

• 9 months later...

First of all, I can not talk to my husband about this topic without him getting angry, hostile, and defensive at me. So I am asking for prayer and help with how to process the mindset that is approaching me. I would like to express my thoughts and be listened to without being condemed and yelled at.

My husband just confessed another instance of infedelity that occured almost a year ago. He forces me accept his behavior by yelling at me and telling me how I should react as a believer in Christ a woman of God. It seems as though he is manipulating me into feeling what he want's me to feel.

He dictates how what I should say to Him and does not want me showing any emotions of hurt.

He says that I should not always act like the victim.

When I cry or show hurt BUT I NEVER REBEL) he gets hostile and physically abuses me.

He wants to desciple me and reads the Bible and always talk about The Lord. Sometimes I think he uses it as a way to trap me into this marriage.

I have two small children with him and don't know what to think or where to go.

I am a believer in Christ but it this situation has me confused and scared.

I know my husband doesnt love me because he doesnt show that he really loves God by treating us fairly. Hes always so enthusiastic about taking our problems to The Lord and gets abusive when he sinces my confusion. He then becomes the offender and the defender at the same time. He justifies himself by saying that the real enemy is Satan. He points out that my reactions fuel his anger.

My reactions are usually crying, speaking lowly while trying to process the hypocrisy.

Along with this more pressure!!!

We are in such a financial bondage to where were are about to be evicted for non payment of rent for eight months. My husband has been unemployed for over a year and turned down for all jobs and even vocation training grants denied. We have almost no food to eat at this time and have been denied for human services financial assistance of all kinds. It's like an all out enemy attack.

My youngest baby, Hannah is 10 months old and, son Caleb is 2 years. I suffered through abuse and infedelity through both pregnancies.

I know we are under attack!!!

We had been praying for financial breakthrough when we realized that everyway we tried to support ourselves failed. I have tried e-commerce business ventures of my own as I take care of the babies, but I didn't have the start up capital and resources to support the ventures.

Sometimes I think that our prayers are just hindered because of the impure ways of my husband and his defensiveness about them.

I have prayed and appreciate the closer relationship that I have with God through Jesus, and now all this new confession of old sins that my husband committed has startled me.

I know that Jesus is here with me in the storm and that he will deliver me.

I pray for fear not to overtake me because my lack of partnership with my husband is so overwhelming.

My husband and I have such wonderful and amazingly huge agendas, visions, and missions to contribute to The Body of Christ with no finanancial resources to back them. We pray and pray every day all through out the day to The Holy Spirit For Guidance & Wisdom.

This is harder than I though it would be. Serving Jesus in the midst of the partner that you serve him with being disrespectful and abusive!

Even now my husband tells me to look up to God. He tells me to look past my feelings. I know that the Bible says this, but it is difficult especially when your mentor is the defender.

I think that If I leave my husband then it will help him because I won't compel him to commit adultery. If I don't live up to being honored and cherished and don't deal with things spiritually enough for him then I think I need to leave.

PLEASE PRAY WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRAY IN THE SPIRIT FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WITH THE ANOINTING OF THE LORD, PLEASE PRAY INTO MY SPIRIT PEACE AND A SOUND MIND!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If a husband is not loving his wife as he ought then he is not submitting to Christ; he is in fact misusing his authority and not honoring his wife as a joint- heir of God's Kingdom. And when this is happening the husband runs the risk of having his prayers hindered. This is and interesting thing. What does it mean to have your prayers hindered? Whatever it means it certainly has a negative connotation. And it's the direct result of not honoring your wife as a fellow-heir and dealing with her in an understanding way as the weaker vessel.

This is something the enemy would try to do to thwart normal communication between lines from you to God. And what Peter is suggesting in the hindering is one way which the enemy uses for the purpose of cutting off normal communication between men and God. But it's because of sin on the person's part that brings this about.

When we are not seeking God's way and walking in God's way, as in the case of the husband and wife, as the husband is not honoring the wife, same as the wife is not honoring the husband in submission there is a natural out come which follows. ( 1 ) Natural outcomes for disobedience ) ( 2 the supernatural outcomes for disobedience. is sin puts a barrier between us and God which hinders the prayers.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

God won't answer prayers from people who are in God's word. Those who are listening to God and following his instruction he won't honor their prayers. We have to submit our selfs to him then he will answer us.

• 3 weeks later...

This is actually as much about how we treat one another as husbands and wives. Sin, a poor attitude, rudeness, impatience irritability etc will block our relationship with God.

We have to be right with ourselves and with others before God will listen to our prayers.

We are told that before we come to the altar with our offerings, if our brother has anything against us, we are to leave the altar and be reconciled to him first.

First forgiveness, then a restored relationship with God.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ans: God does not answer to the prayer of sinners. God want us to be filled with the Holy Spirit so that He can pour out His blessing to us. Husbands and wives should be model of love and respect to their children.