JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Gentle but Fearless Witness

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

First we need to define the areas in which we are most persecuted and those times that most tough in which we could become a bad or very weak witness.I think often the people that most persecute us are those close to us, family, friends and work colleagues, those who are not in Christ. We often tend to think that it is those in the world that will most attack our beliefs and testimony, but I believe that when those close to you get the feeling that you may stray away from them it often intimidates them and they vent their anger toward you. Because they are close, the level of persecution is far greater than when it comes from a complete stranger.

In my personal life this has most definatly been the case and my biggest problem is that it's at times like this when I am most likely to answer with a display of anger toward the person to defend my faith. I often forget the fact that it is through the unudulterated and pure love of the Lord that should shine through me that will be my best wittiness and not my own attempts to defend a God who needs no defence.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted?

When we are being persecuted the body and mind gets very weak and that begins to work on our faith as well, therefore allowing the flesh to get in the way and cause us to fail.

Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness?

Because to many times we have a tendency to give in to the weakness of the flesh when we need to be a standing strong for the Lord. Therefore when we are weak it becomes to easy to be the wrong kind of witness.

Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

Focusing on Christ rather than your fears is very important for if we stay focused on Christ instead of our fears then we are less likely fall int the weakness of our flesh. For Christ will make us stronger enough to face all of our trials. Paul said that when I am weak then am I strong. Only in Christ.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (3:15-16)

Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted?

Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

We are to acknowledge Jesus as our Lord and King and by focusing on Jesus our fears diminish. It is only by trusting Jesus fully we discover that others may hurt us but no way can they harm us. I find that, in the past, when I

• 7 months later...

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

1 peter 3:15-16

15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander

The only people who speak negatively of my "Jesus talk" seem to be my family members who are non believers. So I have asked our most gracious Father to make my light shine without me needing ot say words. For those who do not believe, being respectful of their current state of thinking is very important, or they will never feel accepted by us. Jesus accepted people as they were/are, sinners, and loves us just the same. We need to be more like HIM.

• 6 months later...

Witnessing when we are being persecuted or find ourselves under duress becomes difficult as it is man's nature to want to argue (negatively) and tell the individual(s) off in no uncertain terms. This, we believe is a better way of handling ourselves than offering kind words and blessings.

I believe that in my situation there are times when I need to focus on Christ rather than my fears. Although my fears are few there are still times, in certain situations where I allow my fears to dictate my response. This is something that I am addressing and I am working diligently to repair.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted?

Whatever the persecution may be, whether it has anything to do with our Christianity or we're just on the receiving end of bullying by work mates or school mates, we are on the back foot, on the defensive. The person or persons persecuting us wouldn't be doing so if they didn't know for sure that they have the upper hand. No one bullies or persecuted anyone from a position of weakness. Therefore it's going go be difficult to even hold our own in any argument,or to defend you faith and your convictions. All I can say here is good luck.

It's so much easier and convenient to just go with the flow than to stand your ground when things get tough. Everyone wants to be accepted, even the freaks who claim they don't care what people think of them. You'll notice the outcasts, the punks, the goths, etc, all run in packs. They crave acceptance as much as respectable people.

In some circumstances we're tempted to go along with the majority decision even if it goes against our Christian beliefs. To stand your ground and not join in sinful activities could cost us friends and our standing in whatever society we're in.

Replying with gentleness and not hitting back. I'm in the gun-sights of every booking agency in the business because I'm a high profile independent operator. Lies are told about me all the time to discredit me and get my gigs canceled so they can get their usually inferior, way less talented people in. It's too hard to lift your game. Far easier to drag the people better than you down to your level and below. In Australia the tall poppy syndrome is worse than in any other country in the world. On you way up the ladder people love you and cheer you on. The minute you reach the top your fans turn on you like a pack of mongrel dogs. Even if you've never done a bad thing to anyone you're still reviled if you get too successful.

It's really hard to take that year in and year out. It's very hard to forgive people who are still actively and aggressively working against me.

• 1 year later...

2a)When under pressure we have less control of our tongue, the fruit of the Spirit is less evident, because fear &self-centredness causes us to get even, attempt to live in own strength,not in power of Spirit

.b)When tested we can behave in same spirit,as the oppressors,&seek to justify our behaviour, rather than have opposite behaviour&leaning on Spirit to give me words to say in gentlenss,keeping clear conscience.

C)Need to stand firm on faith,be ready more with Godly answers,not to lower standards, but focusing less on fears&avoiding situations and trusting more on Christ in all situations to equip me.

• 6 months later...

1.   I am not sure that Christians who are being persecuted for their faith in Jesus and their obedience to God find it difficult to witness for Christ to their persecutors.  Stories from the persecuted church tell about Christians who are harassed, arrested, tortured, and imprisoned but still speak as witnesses for Christ and refuse to deny Him in order to escape the pain and be set free.

It is us Christians in the so-called Christianized world who have a tough time witnessing for Christ to our nonbelieving "friends" and relatives and to those who have just recently begun to "persecute" us verbally and with threats to our finances (employees losing their jobs, businessowners being sued for refusing to do as potential customers want).

Until fairly recently, Christianity was respected and the norm.  Judeo-Christian values were the foundation of our society's ethics and expectations.  But now that it is changing as those pseudo-Christians no longer find it necessary to pretend to be Christians in order to gain social status and political or financial power.  They are testing us and we are not prepared to stand firm faithful to Jesus.  Instead of witnessing to them for Christ, we remain silent.

2.   It is easy, too easy, to do the wrong thing when we are suffering at the hands of someone else because

- -we don't really trust God to do what is best for us with the situation

- -we have the wrong idea that since we are Christians, only good things should happen to us

- -our emotions of fear, hurt, anger, and a desire for revenge take over, and we shut down out minds and do not think things through prayerfully, carefully, and calmly.

3.  I thought that my problem was that I am not ready to tell others about Jesus unless they ask me questions for fear that they will reject me, but I now realize that behind that is a failure to focus completely on Jesus and not at all on myself.  When my focus is totally on Him, I will not care what happens to me.

• 1 month later...

It can be hard to witness when we're persecuted because it is painful and uncomfortable.  It throws us off balance and it is difficult to stay focused and maintain self-control.  Persecution can cause confusion and doubt.  That is why it is important to stay focused in Christ and let the Holy Spirit work in all of our various situations.  Pray without ceasing prepares us for the rough moments.

I stay the course in Christ.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

it may become hard for us to witness when we are persecuted because we have listened to the demeaning of Christ and our character. We have set our mind on our situation and the surroundings of personal injustice or possible death for our belief.

In tough places we may give the wrong kind of witnessing for Christ. It maybe because we are threatened or just maybe we should not be in that place to begin with.

Of the four instructions 1 Peter gives for witnessing about Christ, I seem to never have the right answer or being afraid to answer for the fact that I could discredit Christ instead of building him up in my reply. Most of the time i seem unable to begin a conversation about my belief in Christ and what he has done for me.    

• 6 months later...

Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted?  Although persecution can be physical, for the most part, persecution today targets us psychologically.  Psychological persecution of ones ego forces us into a state of liberalism that at times causes even the most devout Christian to shy away or even totally avoid witnessing to avoid offending others.  The truth is, if you’re not being persecuted, you’re practicing the wrong kind of Christianity.  When a Christian loves the things of this world, he/she no longer has the strength to stand against the evils that it brings with it.  By hiding their light under a bushel they believe that they can still stand in favor with God while maintaining the worldly status their ego yearns for and nothing could be farther from the truth.  When it comes to being a true Christian, either you are or you are not, there is no middle ground.

Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness?  All too often when we see others doing wrong we look the other way rather than facing a potential confrontation.  Instead of making it clearly known that someone has sinned before God it’s much easier and less confrontational to sugar-coat the offense.  I personally can’t understand why it’s so hard for someone who lays claim to being a Christian to tell the sinner that he/she can never be saved when they’re outside the grace of God.  Jesus died on the cross so our sins could be forgiven so why is it so hard for us to spread that good news.  Why is it so much easier for us to sugar-coat sin than it is to tell people that they have to accept Him through faith in order to have eternal life?  The Lord God expects us all to live a life of obedience and discipleship and someone needs to stand up and say it and that someone has to be us!

Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?  I guess I’d have to say giving the answer with gentleness and kindness.  I do have a tendency to speak before I think things through and more often than not, that’s perceived as harsh.  Truthful sure, but harsh none the less.

• 5 months later...

Q2. (3:15‐16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we’re persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter’s four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

Perhaps we are “afraid”, or lack boldness, so we keep quiet. Also we do not take injustice easily and we want to stand up for our rights and we react saying something like; “hey watch it; you can’t treat me like that! In order to protect our skin, or perhaps our job, we can be tempted to put our head down and blend in with the crowd. Or we might go further and join in with the crowd.  Peter himself is a powerful example of this - he denied Jesus three times when challenged.

To be effective ambassadors for Christ we need his credentials of office. We need to be filled with His Spirit in order to accomplish our calling. An ambassador does not react to opposition or lose his cool. He speaks clearly and powerfully on behalf of his king.

1. Focus on Christ rather than your fears.  I think that this one falls in to place more readily than the others. Circumstances dictate that we must stand and fight the good fight. There is no way that we should attempt to do this in our own strength. We must wholly lean on Him.  The alternative is to take flight and that is not good.

2. Be ready to give an answer. This requires forethought and prayer.  Stay awake and be ready. In our day of distractions we must not let this slip.

3. Reply with gentleness.  Need to keep reminding ourselves of this -  practice makes perfect.

4. Keep a clear conscience.  I think that this is the key.  Sin will always block progress

• 5 months later...

2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

----Maybe not trusting God will come through for us..
----For approval
--- Ready to talk freely about God. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2004 at 6:07 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is so hard for us to be a witness when we were persecuted because of fear of losing our life. It is easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness because of persecution. Focusing on Christ rather than my fears is the most founded instruction given by Peter in any particular situations.

On 3/20/2004 at 6:07 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is so hard for us to be a witness when we were persecuted because of fear of losing our life. It is easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness because of insult and persecution. Focusing on Christ rather than my fears is the most founded instruction given by Peter in any particular situations.

The fight or flight kicks in automatically and it is hard to think clearly sometimes. Barring severe circumstances, I find it better for me not to speak or to take a short break...leave the room or area which allows for a cooling off period. My goal is to be so confident in my relationship with the Lord, that defensiveness is replaced with love and good humor right out of the gate. 

Q2. (3:15-16) 
Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? 

It is hard because we focus on our fears instead of focusing on our Saviour. What can happen? The worst that can happen to us is physical death, and this we should not fear. “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21). We must remember that our persecutors will face a far worse punishment – eternal death in hell. If we acknowledge Jesus as our Lord and King and remain focused on Him, our fears will definitely diminish. It is only by trusting Jesus fully that we discover others may hurt us, but in no way can they harm us. 

In difficult situations we are urged to suffer for righteousness' sake without retaliating. We are not to repay evil for evil or abuse for abuse. Instead we are to bless those who mistreat us, and to repay insult with kindness. As Christians, we are not called to harm others but to do them good, not to curse but to bless. It is this behaviour God expects from us, and it is the type of behaviour He will reward with a blessing. When we bring blessings to others, we are blessed ourselves. 

Reply with gentleness. I find that when I’ve been done an injustice, my immediate response is to retaliate. I must remember I belong to Jesus and as a true believer I am to bring blessing wherever I go and through whatever I do. Living in a world in which one is continually confronted by evil, my natural response is to strike back or try to get even; to seek revenge. Thank you Lord that you have helped me to mostly overcome this. I notice that by acknowledging you in everything I do and by remaining in fellowship with you Lord, am I better equipped to reply with gentleness and respect. But I still have a long way to go. 

When we are persecuted we feel that we have been abandoned by God so it hard to witness when we don’t feel that God isn’t with us. We are trying to get out of the persecution so our witnessing might just be excuses rather than witnessing. I think that the instruction that I need the most in my particular situation is to have a clear conscience.

(3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

It is hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted because we are not focus on God.  We allow flesh to take over.  It is easy in tough places to be the wrong king of witness when we go with the flow rather than standup for Christ.  Out of Peter's four instructions the one most needed for me is be ready to give an answer. 

On 3/24/2004 at 11:16 AM, Mary Ellen McNeill said:

Persecution and other tough circumstances can bring out the worst in us. Often in moments like this, we fall back on our "old ways" or our sinful nature and emotion runs so high that we don't hear the Spirit redirecting us.

Personally, Peter's reminder to reply with gentleness is the hardest for me. My sinful self is very confrontational and often, even when I want and mean to be helpful, my tone conveys just the opposite. I need God's help even to open my mouth!

Replying with gentleness is difficult. It is not impossible but it is the exact opposite of what our flesh desires which is to respond with sarcasm, something unkind, get payback, or just give up. I need to work in this area. I am better than I was but not where I need to be.

It is difficult to be a witness when we are being persecuted because we fear our persecutors or are intimidated and find it difficult to convey the word of God to them. We tend to forget that there is only God whom we should fear. We forget that God is there to guide us, to protect us once we are doing His will.  We need to remember that those who persecute us can harm only our body but not our soul.

Focusing on Christ rather than on my fears.  I am overwhelmed by what people say and do.  Many times I let my fear dictate my actions.

When we are persecuted, we tend to want to defend ourselves. We forget in whom we have placed our trust. Our God who promises us to be our Defender, Avenger, Lawyer. Instead we fight back. We react to circumstances instead of analyzing the situation, responding to it like Peter said, already prepared beforehand knowing that whether good prevails or not we await a greater blessing by God if we respond with kindness. A blessing that far outweighs any reward here on earth.  For this, we need to meet in our secret room with the Lord daily, to be filled with His Spirit, that we may be good witnesses of Jesus' love and not the wrong kind of witness. We don't want to bring shame to God. We want to reach souls and win them over to God not scare them away.

In my situation, I need to work on my replying with gentleness. I do know that in some cases, if I would of kept quiet or held back answering, things would not have escalated to where I felt ashamed, like if I failed God. I have honestly at times asked God to forgive me for failing the test. I pray for a gentle spirit, so that I can be an effective witness for God to the world.

I fear being “made fun of” or being put down, or causing alienation with someone else. Being a witness can be difficult because other person/s may be angry or say insulting things about me being  a Christian. This puts me on the defensive and I want to strike back in like manner.  Also I don’t want to push someone away by being too pushy and come off as “preaching” to them. I can’t say one of the 4 instructions is more important, they are all important. Depending on the situation, one may be more relevant at that particular time.

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

1. Because our tongue is prone to evil, especially when we are under pressure. Fear will makes it hard also.

2. Christian life is a struggle and sometimes bring suffering. In the Christian life we must have courage and bear pain in the face of evil. We find it easier to compromise.

3. Being ready to give an answer. I need to be ready to listen to the holy spirit to be advised what to say and do.