JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Promptings

Pastor Ralph

Q1. (Acts 8:26-40; 16:6-10) Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we're seeking God for direction? No

Why is "no" just as important an answer as "yes"? Because sometimes we the promptings are from the Holy Spirit or sometimes we make mistakes if not well interpreted.

Have you ever felt God's promptings to take some action? Yes, I have.

If you followed through, what happened? I realized that I did the right thing to obey what the prompting might have been.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Acts 8:26-40; 16:6-10) Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we’re seeking God for direction? Why is “no” just as important an answer as “yes”? Have you ever felt God’s promptings to take some action? If you followed through, what happened?

a.) I have to learn to be more sensitive to the Holy Spirit's promptings. I usually hear from God giving me revelation through the Word and through hearing the Word.   As far as direction is concerned, I still need work on that and that is why I wanted to take this course.  I need to spend more time in His presence.

b.) Because they are both to be in obedience to God.

c. & d.)  Yes, when I felt promptings, in the middle of the night, that He wanted me to quit smoking. I heard a voice in my spirit saying I don't want my child to be a slave to anything.  My response was, okay Lord, if you want me to quit smoking I need your help and the next day, every time I felt like a cigarette I marked a mark on my desk calendar and each day the marks got less and less.  I was delivered from smoking. Praise God!

I think that promptings are clear enough from the Holy Spirit when we are seeking God’s direction. We can usually figure out what He wants us to do if we are open to his nudging. A “no” is just as important as a “yes” because we don’t always know what is best for us. A “no” may keep us on the right track. I have felt God’s prompting to take some action and I hope that I followed through. I was able to help some people in Mexico to build a place where children could go to school and worship.

Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we're seeking God for direction?

The promptings to Paul and Phillip were clear directions, as it is likely that they were constantly seeking God.

Why is "no" just as important an answer as "yes"?

Both yes and no are black and white directions, one way or another.

Have you ever felt God's promptings to take some action?

Often it seems a no, a correction. Other times a reassurance I’m on track and doing the right thing. Or an encouraging word, sometimes extraordinary. Or another time, to be strong and at peace knowing Jesus was with me, saving my life – caught in a rip between two small islands in the Pacific, not knowing where that rip might take me.

If you followed through, what happened?

Something wonderful, bringing a beautiful feeling and building my faith; even saving my life.

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Acts 8:26-40; 16:6-10) Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we’re seeking God for direction? Why is “no” just as important an answer as “yes”? Have you ever felt God’s promptings to take some action? If you followed through, what happened?

If we are listening good enough then the Spirit will definitely guide us in the right path.  Yes, the promptings of the Spirit are clear when we are quiet.  Yes, I’ve felt God prompting me in certain directions, and I took action.  The Lord protected me and blessed me greatly.  Oh what a great master we have with God.

On 11/28/2017 at 12:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Sometimes they are very clear, and sometimes promptings are not so clear from the Holy Ghost.  If God really wants our attention about a matter He knows how to get our attention.  Like when the Holy Ghost would not have the disciples preach in Asia, it was very clear.  No is just as important as yes because the things that are most important to God will get done, as He said the Word that I send will accomplish what I want it to.  Yes, I’ve felt God’s promptings and haven’t taken appropriate action.  In some ways I have followed through, because I’ve been faithful to Him when I was surrounded by enemies; sorcerers, who would get enraged when I wouldn’t bow to the devil.  God has tested my faith for years, and I have overcome all of my enemies who come after me like it’s a game.  God laughs at them when He sees how they hate me, for it’s not really me they hate but the Lord Jesus Christ.

• 6 months later...

Q1. (Acts 8:26-40; 16:6-10) Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we’re seeking God for direction?

Yes, its clear.

Why is “no” just as important an answer as “yes”?

He is the sovereign God. So His no is as important as yes.

Have you ever felt God’s promptings to take some action? If you followed through, what happened?

Yes and When I  look back after many years, I have realized that it was the best thing to have happened. God knows my end from the beginning and when I follow through His promptings, even though it may not make sense at that time, it will eventually turn out for good. All glory to God alone. 

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (Acts 8:26-40; 16:6-10) Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we're seeking God for direction? Why is "no" just as important an answer as "yes"? Have you ever felt God's promptings to take some action? If you followed through, what happened?

Promptings from the Holy Spirit is more than enough as we obey His instructions. It is important to catch those promptings through our obedient and surrendered life to Christ. When we are faithful in little, He will show us (give us) more (next steps) to walk in faith (and not by sight).

No from God means to restrain from doing that particular thing, and Yes means to pursue in that work. Both are important as these are His directions for us in His work.

Yes, have experienced God’s promptings in my life on several instances and when obeyed, the particulat assignment looked so easier than it was supposed to be. At other times, God’s presence was stronger to prove that He is in this decision. Gives us a unique direction (which only can be from Him) to go and accomplish the things in a simplified yet powerful impact. That’s the way He works. His ways are simple but powerful. And many times, we complicate it by doing our own way.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When reviewing these verse in Acts the promptings from the Holy Spirit are clear when seeking God's voice.  As a pattern for one's walk with God, I believe that God does speak to me in promptings and nudges and has on occassion been a audible voice; albeit in some some cases I had not at the time been able to differentiate God's voice from my own internal monologue.

So, I believe that expecting to hear from God and hence listening for Him in whichever way he communicates is essential if we want to hear God's voice.

No is just as important an answer as yes, when the will of God is present in the answer.  It's a bit like expecting to get some directions and only waiting for a right hand signal ('go right, go right') and then getting a left hand turn and experiencing confusion.

I have felt God's promptings to take action, although I cannot bring to mind at occurance at the moment.  I'll ponder and come back to theis question. hmmmmm.....

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Q1. (Acts 8:26-40; 16:6-10) Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we're seeking God for direction? Yes, they are clear enough. Why is "no" just as important an answer as "yes"? It is a directive from God that we have to obey. Have you ever felt God's promptings to take some action? Yes. If you followed through, what happened? I felt joyful, peaceful and better able to communicate with my family.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (Acts 8:26-40; 16:6-10)

Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we’re seeking God for direction? Absolutely. The Holy Spirit serves God so if messages are delivered, it will be loud and clear.

Why is “no” just as important an answer as “yes”? Generally speaking, a "no" has bigger consequences. It's like asking, should I take a short cut through the woods?  God comes back with a "no" and you disobey anyway, you will likely get eaten by a bear. Consequences.

Have you ever felt God’s promptings to take some action? I felt the Lord Jesus Christ asking me to hurry up and baptized. I recently became Born Again and I started getting urgings through doves, that I needed to complete the transformation.

If you followed through, what happened?  I've been desperately trying to get baptized but every single church in my area is closed due to COVID. I still get the daily visits from these baptism birds, and the cooing is as urgent as ever. I feel like I'm letting down my Lord Jesus but it's just out of my control. 

• 5 weeks later...

Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we’re seeking God for direction?

When we are seeking God for direction the promptings from the Holy Spirit would be clear when we are expecting to hear from God and have by exercise of faith in God obeyed previous promptings.

A "no" is just as important as an answer of "yes" when you are desirous of being in the will of God.  You will welcome a "no" as you would welcome a "yes".  A "no" might keep you out of danger and a "yes" might lead you to do what you may otherwise wouldn't do but it may may what God wants done. 

Have you ever felt God’s promptings to take some action?

I have been in situations where I felt it was God's prompting to take an action.

I felt God's prompting to resign a position, I did an opening to become fulltime in ministry opened.

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 2:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Promptings from the Holy Spirit are clear enough when we are seeking God for direction. He is not the kind of God who would leave us to 'flounder like a fish out of the water'.

"No" is just as important an answer as "yes" because either way, it is still His direction and we need to pay keen attention and understand that He at all times know what is best and what He wants of us.

I have felt God's promptings to take certain actions and procrastinated for many days. I discovered that when I did not obey immediately there would be turmoil in my spirit and a lack of that inner joy and peace.  When I do follow His promptings, even when I don't understand why He is leading me in in that particular direction, I am filled with a sense of calm and my peace and joy return.

• 1 month later...

Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we're seeking God for direction?

Yes they are clear enough.

"No" is as important, because the "No" is to stop us from going places where Father has not willed us to go, or doing things He wills us not to do.

Sometimes we want 'that job', 'that house', 'that husband', but Father wants to give us the things that He knows will benefit us on our journey with Him. He provides for our every need.

A few years back I became a voluntary Workplace Chaplain. The day before I was due to start, as I sat in the carpark of a shopping complex; the reason I was there was because I had rescued a goldfish from my friends derelict flat, so I was there to visit the pet store to buy equipment to create a new home for him.

As I parked up, a heavy wave of doubt washed over me, which made me question my ability to take on the role of Workplace Chaplain. It was soo strong it brought me to tears.

I sat there having a conversation with Father.
"What if no one wants to talk to me?"
"What if I say the wrong things?"

The reply, which was heard in my mind was "Just Go".

I composed myself, got out of the car and walked into the pet store, straight over to the fish tanks. I stood there for a while amazed at Fathers little creations, admiring all the different types of fish, they were all so colourful. Then I heard a man's voice behind me say "They are so therapeutic to watch." I turned round to the man and verbally agreed saying "Yes they are."

As I moved along the row of tanks, this man proceeded to follow me, saying a few words here and there. I must confess I was trying to avoid him, because I had the role of Chaplain on my mind (how ironic). Then Father said "Stop and listen", so I did.

The man proceeded to tell me how he lost his wife two years prior to our meeting, to cancer, she was only 52. I was 52 at the time of our meeting. At that moment it became clear to me that Father was about to show me His power and glory.

Out of the blue the man said "How can people believe in a loving God when he is so wicked and cruel." When I told him that I believe in Him, he became quite angry and told me that he didn't. I felt extremely hurt, that he was disrespecting my Father like that, the one who took away my depression and suicidal thoughts, the one who saved my life. I wanted to walk away but I heard Father say "Celia, I know you feel hurt right now, but I want you to stay, don't speak, just listen", so I did.

As I listened, It was revealed that his mothers name was Celia, I told him my name is also Celia. He had a friend who had a son, called Celeste who was very musical, I told him Celia derives from the name Celeste which means "musical" and I am musical also, a singer". We had so many things in common that by the time we finished, instead of a sorrowful pale looking man, he had a warming glow upon his face, with a beaming smile. I said "How can you not believe in a loving God after our meeting here today? Do you not see that it was God Himself who actually arranged for us to meet here today, how else can you explain all that we have in common? He is with us, right here, right now, and He wants me to tell you that, He truely loves you. His perfect son Jesus died because of us, for our sins, yet He still loves us.

He finished by telling me that Celestes mother had been inviting him to her Church for months, and he had been refusing to go, but he said he would definitely be going after our encounter. Praise the Lord, Hallelujah. It was an amazingly, awesome day.

I got back to my car and the tears streamed down my face, as I heard Father say. "Remember Celia. I AM with you, wherever you go" (Joshua 1:9)

Not only did Father guide my steps and actions that day, He answered, ministered to, corrected, and comforted me. I went through weeks of classroom training, but Father showed me that, as always, He is in control. I watched Him move a mountain, and restore life.

Thank you Lord, You are soo good. Father we give You all the glory and all the praise. Hallelujah.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 3 months later...

3-Q1. (Acts 8:26-40; 16:6-10) Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we’re seeking God for direction? Why is “no” just as important an answer as “yes”? Have you ever felt God’s promptings to take some action? If you followed through, what happened?

My flesh, being inconvenienced, fear of jumping the starting gun, looking foolish, will God give me the words to share, Is this just a Cam thing. REALLY ?     Would the Devil be encouraging me to approach another on Jesus Christ behalf?    Not a chance!  All demons want is to have me do the opposite to God's Plan,  and presenting me  with Distracting excuses for Rebellion against God's will & purposes. 

Lord, I dismissed your loving whisper & gave in to the noisy vain objections & I backed out of serving alongside You to bless another.  I was acting as god, responded to the outside objections & dismissed your promptings to work with You. Thank You for Your foreknowledge & grace, having covered all my sins, including this one. Thank You for inviting me to join with You in today's activities and walking in & thru Your love for me & others to glorify God thru Obedience with the Next task. Yes He is clear enough.

Q2 The "No " is as important as the Yes, as It is likely to get my attention to His plan verse the plan that often pops up as my Idea, timing, or Attitude to how I Should show up and be the Star of a religious work, verses being His assistant, to do only as directed.

Q3 Yes.  with obedience, the result showed how amazing His way is.  It was not about me, but to His glory.

• 4 months later...

1) Are promptings clear enough when seeking God for direction?

I would think they must be. If God wants us to do something for Him, it is incumbent on God to make His will known. If He chooses to show me His will through nudgings, then His nudgings must be clear. In my spiritual life, I have found nudgings to be a bit ambiguous: I try to follow them, but wonder, often, if it my mind and not His mind.

2) Why is no as important as yes?

In a way, "no" is more important than "yes." I pray for shut doors (noes) to not make mistakes. Right now, in my little life, every door is shut, so He is clearly telling me to "stay put" ... for now.  "NO" means stop. It suggests two things: a) wait for a yes, b) or the door will be shut forever, that is, "no" means "no." Quite frankly, I've been praying about a particular situation for a couple years and have received, so far, a "no" answer. Still, I do not think it is a "no," however, but a "wait." I feel this in my heart, though wonder, again, if it is my mind or my desires, not His.

3) Yes, I feel God's prompting in little things like what I read for devotions this morning on the Internet. I pray/try to follow through with these sorts of little nudges. Most of the time, the consequences of my obedience are negligible or unknown. I do believe as I obey more that I'll receive more nudgings and, perhaps too, the consequences of those nudging will be clearer. This morning, too, I received a conscience check about NOT saying something to the pastor's wife. I said it anyway. Now I'm consumed with guilt because I'm certain that this was the Lord. I've asked forgiveness and for the consequences of my behaviour to be negated.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Acts 8:26-40; 16:6-10)

Sometimes there seems to be nothing and at other times it is clear.

A no is just as important as a yes for it could save us from disastrous outcomes.

Yes I have.

There was peace and just a knowing deep within, that that was the right thing to do.  

• 5 months later...

I believe that the promptings are clear when seeking God's direction in that there are instances when I want to attend to attack a certain issue my way and the Holy Spirit tells me not to do, when I follow the Holy Spirit, I find fulfilment and the matter becomes water under the bridge.

A "no" is as good as a "yes" because God knows everything. When He says in His Word "My ways are not your ways and my thoughts are not your thoughts. My ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts". I believe that when God says "no" it does not mean He denies attending to the matter. We need to be obedient to His Word.

I have on many occasions because when God says I must not address the matter and allow Him to deal with it His way, I get peace of mind but when I do it my way, the matter becomes fueled and that causes more damage than before. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I believe the promptings are clear enough. Sometimes it's us that is not understanding something. Or we might be hesitant because we are not sure we are truly hearing from God or is it just ourselves.

No is just as important as yes because sometimes we think we are suppose to do this or that because it seems like the logical thing to do but God is saying no that is not the way or the direction I need you to go. It's so important for all of us to understand that. Sometimes something can look like the right answer but not be the right answer. Taking heed to the no can prevent more problems and consequences.

Yes I have felt God's promptings at different times to take action and the results be it for myself or someone else turned out good. I'm glad I listened. I need to make sure I'm listening more and more. 

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Acts 8:26-40; 16:6-10) Are promptings from the Holy Spirit clear enough when we’re seeking God for direction?
I think they are, speaking for myself I can say I might not fully understand where He’s leading me or why.

That no that he gives can stop us from going into a direction that could lead us away from Him.

Have you ever felt God’s promptings to take some action?
Yes I have

I felt closer to God, like I was right where he needed me to be.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not all the time, sometimes we just don't realize they are from the Holy Spirit.

Because that NO just might save your life.

Sometimes I have, things work out for the better.