JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Core Identity

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth? How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?
a).We note three ways that the Holy Spirit was active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as He came to earth: One,  When the angel Gabriel announced to Jesus's mother how she will become the mother of the Messiah. Luke 1:35. Two. When an angle appeared to Joseph in a dream, confirming to him,  “ do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife. For the child within her was conceived by the Holy Spirit.” (Mat. 1:20)  Three.   When Jesus was baptized; " .....the heaven opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove, And a voice came from heaven: "You are Son, whom i love; with you i am well pleased," (Luke 3: 21-22)

b. The Holy Spirit establish my core identity as a disciple of Jesus, first, by openly  confessing with my mouth that Jesus is Lord and believing in my heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, I was, and am  saved. paraphrase Rom. 10: 9-10  …. My evident is The Holy Spirit within me, leads, guide and directs me when ministering before people. Thank you Holy Spirit

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/23/2018 at 12:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus’ core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth? How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

Holy Spirit is the functional aspect .mentioned as person in the One Godhead .He participates in all Godly interventions on earth.Holy Spirit overshadowed and covered Mary ,being the biological relationship  with the  human birth ,in the brief life in flesh of Jesus Christ.

Holy Spirit is The POWER of the most High .This made Christ the Son , as Holy and Sacred .

He walked among us in human form ,so that he can relate to us and work through us .

At the same time ,Jesus had the Spiritual lineage  of Solomon  through Joseph ,the adoptive father and the lineage to Mary through Manasseh  (Davids lineage )

The Core Identity is of Yahweh  alone through Holy Spirit  passed on to the son Jesus Christ ,An act culminating as prophesied aimed at  salvation and repentance of sinners .

2. Holy Spirit and my identity is my awareness that He First loved me and Chose me as I listened to His Voice ,a sinner and  who is full of deficiencies ,and depravity ,made Whole by His Grace ,Favor and Mercy 

The identification of Holy Spirit in my life ,(took notice and personalized it) happened when I first believed and looked towards the cross which I believe happened due to the rebirth experience enabled by Holy Spirit .He Found Me ,

Being Born Again by Holy Spirit   ,my commission is to share the Good News,Cling to the Master as not to fall and Run the race placed before me in His Power ,

As it was prophesied, the Lord came this first time  as the promised servant.  Although He was still divine, unless He had laid aside his rights and powers, He could not have been a man

We have no inherent power - all we do is powered by the Holy Spirit.

I did not even have the power to change myself. You can try to change through you own willpower, but your success will be very limited.

If Jesus had used His own power, when we pray and nothing happens, instead of praying for guidance we would have the excuse "Oh well, I'm not Jesus"

As it was, He showed us how to engage the Spirit to work through us.

(1) Jesus’ baptism was one step in fulfilling his earthly mission of identifying with our humanity and sin; (2) by endorsing the rite of baptism, Jesus was giving us an example to follow; (3) Jesus was announcing the beginning of his public ministry; (4) Jesus was being baptized for the sins of the nation. The Holy Spirit’s appearance in the form of a dove showed that God’s plan for salvation was centered in Jesus. He was the perfect human who didn’t need baptism for repentance, but he was baptized anyway on our behalf.

Holy Spirit dwells in me and He has  established my core identity as a disciple of Jesus

2. The Holy Spirit In Jesus' Ministry

The Spirit Provides Jesus' Primary Identity -- Son of God

a) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth? 

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22).

ANS. Q 1: The scripture says, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, 
and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God." (Luke 1:35). 

Again Joseph's dream confirms; "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit." (Matthew 1:20)

During Jesus's God spoke with a loud voice that Jesus was His son in whom he is well pleased and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in a form of a dove and was full of the Holy Spirit. "When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: 'You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.'" (Luke 3:21-22).

b) How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

ANS. Q 1: The Holy Spirit is clearly the basis of Jesus' core identity on earth. By accepting Jesus Christ, our primary identity as children of God, comes through being born by the Holy Spirit.

The Holy spirit descend from heaven in the form of a dove and rested upon Jesus as he was being baptized, and the voice of God proclaimed him to be the Son of God. He was given all power to perform miracles and to be a witness to the awesome power and the love of God to those who believed.  I don't think the Holy spirit works in our lives the same way it did here with Jesus.  We are given the Spirit but I believe it works differently within us according to the purpose that God has for each individual who receives it.  When we live our lives according to the word of God and walk with him daily and have a relationship with him, the Holy Spirit supplies us with whatever need we have and ask for.  It helps us through our daily struggles and is our way of communing with God.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?

Angel Gabriel's announcement to Mary explaining how she, a virgin, will become mother of the Messiah.  "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God." (Luke 1:35)

This fact is repeated to Joseph in a dream: "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit." (Matthew 1:20)

Jesus' identity is also confirmed by God's voice when Jesus is baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit. "When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: 'You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.'" (Luke 3:21-22)

How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

The indwelling of God the Holy Spirit and His anointing on my life when I am born again of God is my identity that I am a disciple of Jesus Christ.  

It is the Holy Spirit that convicted me of sin and drew me to Jesus. I could not become a believer without this ministry of the Spirit: John 16:8-11

My Body is the temple of the Holy Spirit - 1 Corinthians 6:19

God the Holy Spirit strengthens me - Ephesians 3:16

He guides me - John 16:13

He empowers me to be a powerful witness of the gospel

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus’ core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth? How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

1a Luke1:35: He announced His Presence to Mary, the chosen mother of Jesus, and told her that Jesus "will be great, eminent and will be called the Son of the Most High and will be given the throne of David.  He will reign over the house of Jacob throughout the ages and of His reign there will be no end. The Son of God.

Mt 1:20 He confirmed Mary's visitation by announcing to Joseph that Jesus had been conceived in Mary by the Holy Spirit.

Luke 3:21-22: He confirmed His Sonship to the Father through the visible sign of the Dove descending and lighting upon Jesus then the Voice of God spoke telling  Jesus: You are My Son, My beloved! In You I AM well pleased and find delight!" (Quoting Psalm 2:7 and Isaiah 42:1 which the religious Jews would recognize and validating Jesus with God's own voice)

Jesus was born from a virgin(Mary). When she went to see Elizabeth (pregnant with John) the baby leap inside. This was the spirit confirming Jesus inside of the belly. Jesus was born fully human and fully divine. He came to do his Father business by removing the power of the devil on us. He was always praying and was given all authority and power on earth. He went around healing and delivering people. Holy Spirit came upon him  as he came up from the water of baptism. An audible voice from heaven came to confirmed that he was the son of God.

The spirit also overshadow us by empowering us to do God's will(assignments) We can do nothing apart from his spirit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22)

Q.In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?

A. The Holy Spit from God came upon Mary and the child Jesus that resulted in that awesome incident became the Son of  God

Q. How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

A. The Holy Spirit comes from God and is also Spirit O Jesus Christ. As He comes upon us He empowers us to think and act like Jesus and to do the work of Jesus- discipleship.

• 4 weeks later...

The Holy Spirit established the core identity of Jesus in being the One that actually "fathered" him.  Joseph had no relations with Mary, thus Joseph was not an earthly father to Jesus.  God sent the angel Gabriel to Mary to inform her that the Holy Spirit was the one who produced the pregnancy.  An angel sent by God announced to Joseph  it was the Holy Spirit who produced the pregnancy in Mary.  In both cases, God's messengers make it unequivocally clear:  the Holy Spirit is the one at the core of Jesus' identity.  Jesus is fully God (being born of the Holy Spirit) and fully man (having been born of a woman).  It was God himself who announced to those present at Jesus' baptism that Jesus was "My Son" and not the son of a man -- reinforcing the truth that Jesus was born of God through the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit established my core identity as a disciple of Jesus initially through the Word.  For example, Mark 3:35 records Jesus as saying "For whoever does the will of God, he is My brother and sister and mother."  If the Holy Spirit is at the core of Jesus' identity, then the Holy Spirit is at the core of my identity as Jesus' disciple as I do God's will by following Jesus.  The Holy Spirit enters me at the moment I declare my faith in Christ as my Savior and Lord, so this moment is when the Holy Spirit established my core identity as Jesus' disciple.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:05 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

It seems that the Holy Spirit coming upon, remaining in and doing mighty deeds through Jesus confirms Jesus' identity as the Son of God. At least it authenticates him in the sight of men.

Ephesians 1 tells me, I'm sealed with the Holy Spirit, as a guarantee of the my identity and my inheritance in Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit and thereby did not inherit the sinful nature of Adam. In a sense, in His humanity He was just as how the first Adam was before his fall. That’s why Jesus is called the last Adam. Not only was Jesus sinless in His birth having been conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, but also before His public ministry began the Holy Spirit descended on Him as a dove confirming Jesus being endued with Power from on high. Not only was He declared to be the Son of God at His conception and confirmed to Joseph, the voice of the Father declared that He is the Son of God in whom the Father was well pleased. Jesus was so in harmony with the Holy Spirit, that His walk was completely blameless and became the perfect Lamb to carry the sins of the world.

John 1:12 says that as many as received Him and believed in His name, to them He gave power to become the sons of God. When we received Jesus Christ as our personal Savior and Lord, The Holy Spirit baptizes us into His body, an invisible act but nonetheless real (Ephesians 4:4-6). In fact it was because the Holy Spirit was *with* us convicting us of sin, righteousness and judgement that we ever knew of this glad tidings in our lives. When we received Him in our lives, Holy Spirit, the Paraclete, takes residence *in* our lives. When He needs to accomplish His purposes through us He empowers us by coming *upon* our lives. Without the Holy Spirit our core identity as the disciple of Jesus will not be established. Wise is the person who does not *resist* the Holy Spirit when He is with him, *grieve* the Holy Spirit when He is in him, nor *quench* the Holy Spirit when He is upon him.

When the Holy Spirit came to dwell in Mary and she conceived a son.  And then The Holy Spirit caused Joseph to accept Mary helping him to see this child was conceived by the spirit.  Then Jesus was baptized and the Holy Spirit came down upon Him.  Showing us that God has sent His Spirit to dwell in each of these 3 because they were chosen by God himself.

When I said yes to Jesus being my Lord and Savior I know the Holy Spirit came upon me.  I was washed clean and it was like my life started a new.  I saw things from a different perspective.  I had my spiritual eyes on.  He puts the longing to know Christ deeper in my heart.  And I long to be in His presence through my day and I am always asking for what God's will is and I am now willing to wait rather than take things into my own hands.  This didn't all happen at once. It has taken about 10 years to get where I am now but I know the Spirit has gotten me here.  There is no doubt I now live for Him.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Holy Spirit was active during Jesus birth because Jesus was born of a virgin. The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you" (Luke 1:35). This was said to Mary. The angel then appeared to Joseph later in a dream and said, "Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 1:20). Finally, when John baptized Jesus, the Holy Spirit descended on Him as a dove (Luke 3: 21-22). The Holy Spirit was present throughout.

The Holy Spirit established my core identity as a disciple of Jesus when I accepted Jesus and became born again, and again when I first got baptized.

• 3 weeks later...

In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as the Son of God?

I believe that the Holy Spirit was very active in establishing Jesus's core identity as the son by First by letting Mary know that she was chosen to carry and bring into the world the Son of the Most High.  - The Holy spirit came upon her and she conceived.  He sent a messenger ahead so that we can assume, be informed.  Once she was pregnant, he again established Jesus as the Son of God by sending an angel to Joseph to comfort him.  This was done by informing him that Mary was fine to take as a wife, that she did not "step out" and the baby inside her came from the Holy Spirit, not a man!!  Also, during his baptismal it was once again established that Jesus is His son verbally by God, when he stated "This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased".  The Father spoke these words right after the Holy Spirit descended upon Him like a dove.

The Spirit has established my core identity as a Christian by first - choosing me.  Once I decided to answer the call He has been guiding me through my Christian walk by filling me with the fruits of the Spirit.  Know that I am filled with the Spirit, I continuously to ask God to strengthen my spiritual gifts. So that I can be a blessing to my church and community!

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth? How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

Holy Spirit has been active from the beginning. Holy Spirit is active in establishing Jesus core identity as Son of God :

- by prophesying about Jesus birth through the prophets 

- by appearing to Mary and confirming about the Holy conception of Jesus and that He is the Son of God

- by appearing to Joseph and confirming about Holy conception of Jesus and how Mary was chosen by God to bear His Son

- by descending upon Jesus during baptism in the form of dove and Father declaring Jesus as Son of God whom the Father loves and is well pleased with.

Holy Spirit also establishes our identity as core disciples of Jesus :

- Holy Spirit convicts us of sin, righteousness and judgement and draws us closer to our Saviour Jesus Christ 

- no one can say Jesus is Lord unless led by the Holy Spirit in Him

- once we accept Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit seals us as His own, and as many are led by the Spirit of God are called sons and daughters of the Almighty God

We find our identity in Jesus Christ and our Father in heaven by the work of the Holy Spirit.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?

According the above scripture, the Holy Spirit is the only power accountable for Jesus ‘core identity as the Son of God as Jesus, both in conception and baptism.  

How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?
our core identity is establish when we are born again and filled with the Holy Spirit.

• 5 months later...

The Holy Spirit was active in establishing Jesus Christ core identity as the son of God when he spoke to Mary about her role of becoming the mother of Jesus. He would overshadow Mary and she would become pregnant with the son of God. He also visited Joseph in a dream and assured him that Mary's pregnancy was of God and he should not be afraid to marry Mary. At Jesus baptism the Holy Spirit alighted on him in the form of a dove and God's voice making the proclamation that Jesus was his beloved son in whom he was well pleased.

My core identity as a disciple of Jesus was established when I acknowledged his work of conviction upon my heart, accepted God's free gift of salvation and was born again into God's family. The process continued when I was sealed by the Holy Spirit who came and dwell inside of me. He now empowers me to obey God's statues and walk by his precepts. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2018 at 1:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus’ core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?  From the beginning the Holy Spirit was present-- at the conception of Jesus until the baptism. 

How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus? The Holy Spirit helps believers see and understand that Christ is the risen Son of God.