JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Servant's Heart

• 3 months later...

Q4. (1 Samuel 3:1-10) Why is Samuel’s servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God’s voice? Why is surrender to Jesus such an important element of discipleship?

It is an important preparation for hearing God's voice because you need to be able to surrender everything over to Him in order to hear Him to talk to you. You need to quiet yourself in order to hear His voice and know what He is saying to you. Sometimes it may take some time to do it and even practice to do it but it needs to be done. Surrender is necessary because without it we can't grow closer to the Lord and learn from Him about His word. 

Why is Samuel's servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God's voice?

I believe having a servant attitude is an extremely important element in this faith walk.  Better, it is extremely important to have a faithful/good servants attitude in this walk of faith.

1st Samuel 3:9-10 – provides great insight – what he did not understand he sought counsel:

We can assess he was humble, where in humility is a servant required element to being a good servant. During a moment of quietness he did not resist the Spirit’s prompting, in humility he sought to serve as he heard the call. After receiving counsel in humility he asked the Lord to speak; he had an ear and a listening attitude. In humility he listened to serve.

Humility, a servants attitude provides the best opportunity to hear and serve; wherein any attitude otherwise perhaps align with a quote from Stephen Covey: “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply” (maybe).

Why is surrender to Jesus such an important element of discipleship?

I believe surrender is an extremely important element of discipleship, first because Christ says it is; secondly if I do not surrender unto Him I will walk according to my own carnal desire via the influence and/or leading of the prince of the air.

If I do not surrender to Him, testing the spirit by the Spirit is impossible! [1st John 4:1 - Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.]

If I do not surrender to Him I could be doing what I deem a good work, however Jesus may pronounce I was in error (Matthew 7:21-23).

Surrendering unto/into Him allows me to be in His will; it allows me to enter intimacy.

(1 Samuel 3:1-10) Why is Samuel’s servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God’s voice?  Why is surrender to Jesus such an important element of discipleship?

Humbling ourselves as servants who are ready to obey what God speaks to us without questioning is important preparation for hearing God's voice. Surrender to Jesus is important because you must have a willingness to obey even if you don't understand why or what the end result will be.

Samuel is a humble servant and is willing to obey.  A servant is one who listens for, listens to and obeys his master. Thus Samuel’s servant attitude is an important preparation for hearing God’s voice.

Surrender to Jesus shows humility, love, obedience, willingness to serve faithfully .

On 7/23/2018 at 1:58 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (1 Samuel 3:1-10) Why is Samuel’s servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God’s voice? Why is surrender to Jesus such an important element of discipleship?

He needs to humble himself in order to hear God's voice.

When we surrender to Jesus we are laying everything down and opening our heart, soul and mind to Jesus and is needed to able to obey.

4_LESSON. QUESTION (1 Samuel 3:1-10)

Why is Samuel's servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God's voice?

Being subservient means one is going to be listening to the master and is ready to carry out instructions without question. Obedience will be useful in respecting what is heard. We can conclude that because Samuel was humble and obedient, he was comfortable to honour God and call him Lord. He was ready to do his Master’s bidding as a servant. He was also in listening mode like an athlete waiting on the starting block to hear the sound of the gun before taking off. Samuel was listening so that he would carry out the instruction that he would hear from God.

We come across this verse, "He took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray." (Luke 9:28b)

It is evident Jesus was grooming Peter, John, James for discipleship beyond his time on earth. Surrendering to Jesus is like signing a contract. The benefits promised by Jesus accrue on surrendering. He promised those who believed in him (surrendered) to be provided with the ‘Comforter or Counselor’ who would guide, teach, strengthen and protect those under his wing. With the pattern which Jesus practiced, finding a Quiet Time to pray and acquainting oneself with God’s will, the task for the Holy Spirit to give gifts for discipleship to believers as made foolproof.

We simply are obedient. God blesses obedience, we completely surrender to Him and allow Him to have His way in our lives. We are obedient because we love Him. We  humble ourselves as a servant would before our Lord. Discipleship involves a lifetime of devotion and growing in the Lord

Q4. (1 Samuel 3:1-10) 

It is only when we chose to be completely dependent on and obedient to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ that we can have a relationship with Him, and then have any chance of hearing His voice.
Our willingness to serve and obey Jesus Christ enables us to be useful and usable servants to do work for Him. We need to identify ourselves with Jesus, discover His will and live according to it, and consciously turn away from conflicting interests. Rather than letting God guide us step by step we stubbornly leave God only one option and that is to discipline us. God would rather guide us in love and wisdom, offering to teach us the best way to go. We only have to accept His advice written in His Word. Obedience begins as we renounce other things that have a hold on us – like our money, or our pride, or even many other things – thereby surrendering ourselves completely to His will. 

Q10.4     (1 Samuel 3:1-10)       Why is Samuel's servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God's voice?     

A Servant is someone who puts another's interest above their own. Be it a slave or Bond slave ( free ) or a worker that's a 'company man' , the common thread of being willing to do whatever it takes is "Key".  When a Christian is "Sold-out " to Jesus , as a new Believer or a Veteran , their ears are open to hear and ready to serve. Samuel grew up with that attitude of heart , and the LORD noticed and honored him , and Samuel responded most properly to that call. That was the beginning of a long and active relationship with the LORD.  

*   Why is surrender to Jesus such an important element of discipleship ?

Love overrides pride.   When you are in Love you are willing to do the most unusual things. There is no need to do for 'self' nor much of a thought along those lines either.  When one wishes to attach oneself to another they are willing to change their ways ( a little or a lot ). Seeing the Wisdom of our LORD and having the desire to cling to Him , to become His disciple , requires that one surrenders the things of this world that interfere or prevent one from truly hearing His Voice and seeing His heart.

Resistance on the littlest issue will hinder your walk with Him , surrender brings with it many riches  and responsibilities..     

We want to be in a position to be ever ready to say " Hineni "  Lord here i am "

1 Samuel 3:1-10       Samuel’s First Prophecy

3 Now the boy Samuel ministered to the Lord before Eli. And the word of the Lord was rare in those days; there was no widespread revelation.  2  And it came to pass at that time, while Eli was lying down in his place, and when his eyes had begun to grow so dim that he could not see,  3 and before the lamp of God went out in the   Tabernacle of the Lord where the ark of God was, and while Samuel was lying down,  4  that the Lord called Samuel. And he answered, “Here I am!”  ( Hineni )     5  So he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am, for you called me.”     And he said, “I did not call; lie down again.” And he went and lay down.  6  Then the Lord called yet again, “Samuel!”      So Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” He answered, “I did not call, my son; lie down again.”  7  (Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, nor was the word of the Lord yet revealed to him.)

8  And the Lord called Samuel again the third time. So he arose and went to Eli, and said, “Here I am, for you did call me.”

Then Eli perceived that the Lord had called the boy.  9 Therefore Eli said to Samuel, “Go, lie down; and it shall be, if He calls you, that you must say, ‘Speak, Lord, for Your servant hears.’ ” So Samuel went and lay down in his place.  10  Now the Lord came and stood and called as at other times, “Samuel! Samuel!”     And Samuel answered, “Speak, for Your servant hears.”

Q4. (1 Samuel 3:1-10) Why is Samuel's servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God's voice? Why is surrender to Jesus such an important element of discipleship?

To put it in simple terms, because God (Yahweh, Jehovah) is the one in control, command, the teacher, and so forth. Is a servant greater than the master? Our Father does not, a-least that I know of just appear on the street to talk to anyone willing to act like they are paying attention. When the Lord speaks, it is for a reason, whether it is something we are to announce to somebody, or a group of people, something that needs done, etc., because He is looking for someone willing to accomplish His will and not their own.

Speaking of the servant attitude, if we are to be like God, or His Son, it would be impossible to do so without the servant attitude. Jesus said He came to serve. And that is what He did. Think about it, who is serving who here? Who gives us food, shelter from the weather, paychecks, etc.? God literally owns everything. Everything you see was crafted out of what He has put before us. And, He gives to the wicked as well as the poor. The rain falls on all of us. Of course, it will be the true believers who inherit the Kingdom in the end. Once again, who are we inheriting from? It is all from God. I often think about this and how we are supposed to act in the same manner. Matthew 25:45-46  Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Verse 46 is some strong language.

If we carry the servant attitude set by God’s example, the reward is greater than I can imagine. To the one who doesn’t, well let’s just say the future looks awful dim.

I think surrender to Jesus as so important to discipleship because there is only one way (ultimately) to do God’s will, and that is “to do it”. You can’t pick up a guitar and play for the world, in a way the world wants to hear it and expect God to appreciate it. On the other hand, you can’t play for God and expect the world to appreciate it. I would be lying if I were to say I strictly adhere to such an attitude, and believe me, I often ask God to simply make a “programmed human robot”, because I would rather be as a mechanical man and doing His will instead of not doing all I could be doing. I believe there is much work that does not get done by God’s people but in the end I believe He will have accomplished His will and I look forward to being eternally in the Kingdom with the rest of the saints who have been resurrected into righteousness, our past, imperfect life behind us, to be forgotten forever.

Q4. (1 Samuel 3:1-10) Why is Samuel's servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God's voice? Why is surrender to Jesus such an important element of discipleship?

It is important because only when we humbly come before God and tell Him we are ready to listen and obey will He talk to us. He cannot do anything if we do not give up control. He cannot do anything if we insist on knowing everything first or doing it our own way. We must be willing and submissive in order for Him to speak. We must quiet our hearts before Him.

Surrendering our wills is important if we want to be used and see fruit in our lives. if we do not surrender we will miss out on opportunities He could have used us. We will miss out on blessings He could have given us too.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:58 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  Samuel's life was dedicated to the Lord.  He was attentive, listening, wanting to hear, a servant, ready and willing to obey. All necessary preparation for hearing God's voice.  That is what a servants attitude is.  Always listening for the Master's calls and desires, anticipating his needs, there, ready, willing and obedient.  If you are one who is waiting to hear the details and being picky about what you will or will not do and it doesn't interfere with your plans, you do not have a servant attitude.

b.  Surrender to Jesus is such an important element of discipleship because if you don't hear, aren't listening you will not grow in your relationship with Christ.  We have to respond to His nudges because when we do, we are blessed.  We don't know the results, we just do it.  Surrender to His call.  I had an experience this morning.  I stopped at an old friends house, who I haven's seen in a long time.  Her friend Betty was there and they were just leaving to go to the store.   She has had numerous cancers and operations and we chatted about that and old times and I left.  I got in my car and God nudged me to go back and pray for her.  The scripture came to me Mark 16:18b they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.  So I did, I didn't know how they would receive it but they did and we were all blessed.  I believe God touched her and look for a good report.  I was blessed and encouraged after doing it. 

10. Heart Preparation for Listening to God (1 Samuel 3:1-10).
Surrendering Control
We'll Only Know When We're Willing to Trust

Q4. (1 Samuel 3:1-10) Why is Samuel's servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God's voice? 

ANS4:4 BecauseHumility is required.Samuel places himself in the position of a servant whose master has called him, so he comes ready to listen to his master's command and then obediently carry out his command. 

This is the heart needed for one who would hear God: "Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening."

"So Eli told Samuel, 'Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, "Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening."' So Samuel went and lay down in his place. The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, 'Samuel! Samuel!' Then Samuel said, 'Speak, for your servant is listening.'" (1 Samuel 3:9-10)

a). Why is surrender to Jesus such an important element of discipleship?

ANS: Q 4 a: We prepare ourselves by recognizing and clarifying our own desires in a matter so we can surrender our desires fully to God. Without doing this we can confuse our own desires with the Spirit's leading.Hearing the Spirit is a learning process where we'll make some mistakes as we learn. We are learning to discern between God's voice, the world, the flesh, the devil, and the conscience.

A willingness to obey is an important part of being receptive to God's voice. It is insulting to ask God what we should do if we have no intention of doing anything other than what we want to do. Part of a willing and submissive spirit is a willingness to obey:

Even if we don't understand why, and Even if we don't know the final result.

Q 4. (1 Samuel 3:1-10) Why is Samuel’s servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God’s voice? Why is surrender to Jesus such an important element of discipleship?

4 a. Samuel’s servant attitude is an example we should follow if we are going to prepare to hear God’s voice. Samuel was in a quiet place sleeping, yet heard the master’s call.  Samuel, humble himself and was obedient as every servant should be.

4b. Surrendering to Jesus is an important element to obeying and hearing His voice

Q4. (1 Samuel 3:1-10) Why is Samuel's servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God's voice? Why is surrender to Jesus such an important element of discipleship?

1. Part of a willing and submissive spirit is a willingness to obey God. If we will listen, God is our wise counselor. We must be humble.

2. We will never know what God is doing unless we obey. God is our instructor and teacher on what way or path to take. He will not force us to obey.  

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4a. A servant attitude acknowledges the appropriateness, willingness and commitment to listen then to obey...what may not be what we want to hear!

b. A surrendered heart is a trusting heart...one who recognizes the voice of a loving master. (Just as Jesus is surrendered to His Father's will). I've had to grieve the abuse of childhood, but have thanked God that I learned to obey without questioning (although that was out of fear, it was still training to be obedient now out of love for my Father in Heaven).

I've had to chuckle about my first time of hearing His voice! Which was to be an assistant Bible Study leader many years ago. Scared to death and feeling totally inadequate I felt like He was asking me to take this baby step. The night before  training was to start, I "heard" you're going to be a leader. I'd never "heard" HIS voice so decided that was Satan, and rebuked him and told him to get behind me! The next morning at training, feeling sure I would only be responsible for assistant duties (taking roll, handing out papers, etc), the Pastor's wife and coordinator told me that they needed me to be a leader! I gulped and knew that since it was HIM speaking the night before, He would equip and carry me all the way through! (He did! Sometimes I was so frightened that I had to pull over to the roadside going there thinking I was going to throw up! But like I've heard Joyce Meyer say, Courage is doing it afraid! It was a great blessing and prepared me for the next leadership position, then for  the next then for writing Bible Studies!!! He truly knows what He's doing!

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1 Samuel 3:1-10)

Q. Why is Samuel's servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God's voice?

A. Samuel servant attitude involves listening and obeying what he is asked to do. This opens way for God to reveal more to him and to us if do like he did.

Q. Why is surrender to Jesus such an important element of discipleship?

A. Surrender to Jesus mean total willingness to listen and obey what is required of us. This makes God to reveal Himself more to us and to use us more.

• 2 months later...

Servant attitude speaks of humility. God honors humility, but He despises a proud and haughty spirit. Pride will invariably result in fall, whereas when we humble ourselves in the presence of God, He will lift us up in due time. In preparation to hearing God’s voice a humble, servant attitude speaks of a willingness to listen to obey.

Jesus, our role model, lived a life of surrender and complete obedience to the Father, that He proclaimed this is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. If our role model lived like that, we also need to emulate Him, by living in surrender and obedience to Jesus. One of the proof of love is obedience, for Jesus said, if you love Me, you will obey Me. When we surrender to Him, we are laying down self and allowing Him to take the Lordship in our lives. We are handing over the reins of our lives to Him and this is what discipleship is all about.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:58 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Samuel's servant attitude is important because he showed humility when he was so willing to hear from God and obey whatever He had in store for him. This willingness to obey must be present no matter what it is we have to do. We can't question God but rather trust in Him and do whatever He tells us to.

Surrendering to Jesus is surrendering ourselves to God's control and allowing Him to take over our lives. Since God can see what we cannot see and He knows what He has in store for us, it is an important part of discipleship that we let God work through us.

• 5 weeks later...

When God speaks, it is very important to have an attitude like Samuel in hearing God’s voice and obeying Him. As we are born again, we are servants of righteousness and serving a righteous and just King (of Kings). Normally, man’s tendency is to have control and is difficult to let go. But when being born again and being submissive to Him means to let go of self and follow Him. When we choose to follow and obey Him, we are ready to listen and obey His commands that leads us to everlasting life. The more we let go of self and begin to trust Him,we will be more willing to hear Him and obey. Else we find difficult to trust and obey Him. Servant attitude is to be sold to the master completely. Similarly, we no longer live for us but for Christ who lives in us. We belong to Him who has redeemed us with His blood. Walking with Jesus starts with this step to confess our sins and believe in our heart that Jesus is our Lord. As we yield ourselves to Him, He will lead us on to fulfill His purposes in and through our lives. Our life is for Christ alone, our faithful shepherd and Lord. As sheep listens to his shepherd’s voice and follows, we must only listen to our Jesus and follow Him. It is a commitment forever to be His and His alone. Surrender is key element of discipleship to fulfill all that the Lord has for us. It is doing His will and not ours. It is all about Him and not about us.

• 7 months later...

Q4. (1 Samuel 3:1-10) Why is Samuel's servant attitude such an important preparation for hearing God's voice?

Samuel’s servant attitude was one of humility, it’s an example we should follow if we are going to be prepared to hear the voice of God.

A willingness to surrender and obey to Jesus is an important element of discipleship if we going hear his voice

• 10 months later...

In the OT, the voice revelation or instructions, were done through the prophets. But here Samuel was still a novice and being trained for his calling. Eli gave him the clue to first submit himself as respect and ask the Lord to speak as the servant was listening.

In the NT, it is the spirit in us that drives us and when aligned with, or in relation with,Spirit of God one can hear its voice. One has to submit obey and do as instructed.

• 1 month later...

Samuel's servant attitude was humility and obedience. This positions and prepares us to be expectant and sensitive to hearing the voice of God so that we can serve God according to Hill will and purpose for His Kingdom.

Surrendering to Jesus is an important element of discipleship because( He is the perfect example) it is written that through the Holy Spirit we have access to the very mind of Christ. ( 1 Corinthians 2: 10b). When Jesus was on earth He demonstrated the importance of obedience and humility, and was committed to a lifestyle of prayer in solidaritary.

As disciples we have to to follow Jesus example in other to develop a deeper relationship with God and become sensitive to the voice of the spirit.