JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Happiness Because of Persecution

If we are never persecuted for believing in Jesus, it means that

1) we don't associate enough with nonbelievers, or

2) we don't love nonbelievers as Jesus loves us and commands us to love them, or

3) we don't witness to nonbelievers about Jesus or God's coming kingdom, or

4) we don't reflect Jesus to nonbelievers in our attitudes, our words, or our actions, or

5) we don't love other Chrisitians either, for Jesus said that nonbelievers would know that we are Christians by the love we showed one another.

Nonbelievers won't persecute us for our faith in Jesus if they don't observe Jesus in our attitudes, our words, and our actions!

Persecution should make us feel joyful and blessed in that

- it means that we are reflecting Jesus in a way that called the attention of nonbelievers to us and to Him

- it verifies our faith in Jesus since Jesus said repeatedly that we who believe in Him will be hated and persecuted by nonbelievers.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?          

If we are never persecuted we aren't making much of an impact for Jesus Christ.  The enemy doesn't see much of Christ in us to persecute us.  We are no threat to the satanic world order. 

Persecution for Christ, though it be uncomfortable, should make us rejoice because it indicates that others see Jesus in us and we are living out our faith in a way that impacts the world around us for the Kingdom of God.

• 2 years later...

Q3. (4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

If we are never persecuted for Christ sake, it maybe for several reasons, we are not living our life for Christ and we can not be identified with him. Perhaps we are living a sheltered life and never go out with fellow believers. But, would we be identified as a follower if we never share our belief or have fellowship with other Christians?

If we are persecuted for being Christians then we should rejoice, because we know the Spirit of Christ lives within us and others can identify us as one of his followers.   

• 1 year later...

If we are never persecuted then we are not living out the life of Christ that is within us.  The light of Christ should be seen in us, by our demeanour, our patience, our love, our words, our assurance, and our obvious relationship with our Lord. The world hates this!

True persecution in the cause of Christ is a joy.  It is a privilege to be counted worthy to suffer for Him. 

I need to wait on God concerning this.  These words should not be just an exercise on paper.  Speak to me Lord and help me to absorb your precious words. 

• 4 months later...

3. (4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

--People could view us as being weak,and shallow.

--We grow stronger in our faith through persecution.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2004 at 6:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Persecution is a sign of seeing Jesus Christ shinning in you but if not people view we are not genuine Christian because there's not reflecting or shining Christ in us. Persecution makes us happy because there's a great reward waiting us in heaven.

Satan doesn't worry if you are not really committed to God.  You'll lead a fairly comfy life.  We need to be glad to go thru persecution--it means God is accomplishing the making of fruit through you and Satan doesn't like it.!  Unbelievers who are watching or meting out the persecution are putting themselves in a position to see God at work for them.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2004 at 11:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. I would say that people see us as non believers or hypocrites who say we believe one thing but do another. It says we are no threat to Satan because we've been neutralized and are useless in the Kingdom of God. It says the devil is winning the battle in our flesh, and that faith is nonexistent or at least non operational. It says "we fit right in" with the world.

2. Persecution that I've suffered is excruciating, but has shown me that it's because of Jesus in me that I'm suffering, that I've entered into the "fellowship of His suffering". It's a very humble place and one that always brings His comfort. The most painful persecution was from a church member who called me "radical" and "out there" because I believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God! Also a church deacon who lied about me due to apparent jealousy, and betrayal by a Christian friend... but we are to count it all joy!  I realized that as believers we are works in progress and if Satan has any place in our lives, he can and will use us to hurt or persecute sisters and brothers in Christ. Forgiveness heals! 

With Jesus, Peter, Paul, there were marketplace  - face to face - meetings of people and ideas. A major aspect of USA persecution is ideological: pro-life, Bible thumper, Evangelical, anti-LGBTQ. Without a hearing. It is quite parallel with Christians having killed Jewish babies and drinking their blood during the Eucharist. How fortunate it is to be able to let the Holy Spirit give us the words to speak rather than to engage others on the basis of: 'Let me tell you what I think!'

(4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

If we are never persecuted, people will view us as not having anything worth persecuting.  No one sees the Christ in you.  Persecution should make us happy because that means that people have noticed that there is something about you worth persecuting. Also, it means that we are blessed.

On 4/9/2004 at 4:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Dear Lord, thank You that You atoned for our sins once and for all and are sitting at the right hand of the Father interceding on our behalf. In persecution, often it is at the 11th hour when all seems lost or nigh impossible that we cry out, with a fervour like when Christ went to be alone and prayed to the Father. What seems to be impossible is possible for God, for He created us and everything around us and can transform any circumstance in our lives. It is Jesus' presence seated at the right hand of the Father that says it all. He has paid for our sins, it is finished, done, complete, in accord with the will and purpose of our Father God. His very presence and position in the throne room in heaven speaks to God the Father, without any words, and speaks to His children borne of His grace. Thank You Lord that we can rely and trust on You. Thank You that You are there to continually help us perservere in faith, strengthened in faith every time we are stretched through persecution for Your purpose. Becoming a new person, refined by fire - removing the dross from the precious gold within us.  Praise Him who sits in the throne room of God, for us. He loves us! -- more than we can imagine.

On 4/9/2004 at 6:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Persecution is a sign of seeing Jesus Christ shinning in you but if not people view we are not genuine Christian because there's not reflecting or shining Christ in us. Persecution makes us happy because there's a great reward waiting us in heaven.

If I am never persecuted, people might think I have it so easy that it is simple to have belief in Christ. How I react to personal trials, too. If I grumble & groan about everything difficult, this doesn’t show Joy in the Lord. I love the thought of an eternal life & rewards even though I know my salvation doesn’t depend on good works. 

Q3. (4:14) 
If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? 
In what way should persecution make us happy?

Perhaps they view us as ‘one of them’. It could mean that we are not the shining light we are supposed to be for Jesus. It could be a cause for us to think about our Christian walk. Knowing that we have been specially selected to suffer for Christ, and what a privilege it is, should make us happy. Just knowing that the Holy Spirit will be there to help us is another comforting thought. Also we know we will be rewarded in heaven for any suffering we did for Jesus – but this is not a motivating factor. 

If I never experience persecution, I could never grow closer to God as everything can appear that its always easy for me. People could perceive that I get the easy breaks or that I wouldn't understand suffering for Jesus' sake. I am also probably not digging in and seeking Him. I am more of a superficial Christian, one who doesn't take the risks that Jesus did.

God uses Christians to make Christ more visible by their personal life and sharing about Christ who died.   If Christians are never persecuted, it means that they do not identify with Christ’s suffering.

Suffering helps us to learn our priorities, our allegiance to God and how much we need to glorify our Father through our faith in Him.

If we are never persecuted, we should be careful. Jesus was persecuted for preaching the truth. He wasn't worried about offending anyone with the truth. He suffered in the hands of those who rejected Him. He loved without measure, yet he was persecuted. Now, if we are not suffering for the cross, maybe we are still living in the flesh, being people pleasers. Maybe, we need to examine our lives and see where we are slacking in our faith.

Suffering for Christ should bring us joy, remembering that if they persecuted Jesus, we, also, will be persecuted. That means Jesus is in us by means of the Holy Spirit. We should rejoice when in trials, tribulations, because it is here, when God glorifies himself in us and we grow spiritually closer to God. We are being molded, our character is being formed. We experience God's strength, for it is He who strengthens us in our weaknesses.   

Q3. (1 Peter 4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

1. We don’t have anything that people  noticed about us worth persecuting. They feel as if we are as they are and nothing different. Basically that we are in the same boat or mess as they are.

2. Believing and knowing we will be greatly rewarded for our suffering. Persecution is a sign that others have seen Christ in us; that should give us joy. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. If we are insulted because of the name of Christ, we are blessed.

Q3. (1 Peter 4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

1. We don’t have anything that people have noticed about us worth persecuting. They feel as if we are as they are and nothing different. Basically that we are in the same boat or mess as they are.

2. Believing and knowing we will be greatly rewarded for our suffering. Persecution is a sign that others have seen Christ in us; that should give us joy. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. If we are insulted because of the name of Christ, we are blessed.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (1 Peter 4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

Q.  If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us?

A. We are the same as people of the world who have no Christ.

Q. In what way should persecution make us happy?

A. Because we share in the suffering of Christ; we have a reward hereafter and it is an indication that Christ is in us and is seen by the unbelievers causing them to persecute us.

Yes, we must have persecution, or we must be sad, be Patient, suffering, weakness,or People see us bad and scare, People feel happy can see us in danger, People speak to other make concurrently. 

I am happy I find Grace of God, He Shows me Glory with HIM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2004 at 2:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

If we are never persecuted, it says that that they do not see Christ in us.  They see us as one of them. We are blessed, happy when we are persecuted as the prophets of old were, and they see Christ is you.

On 4/9/2004 at 1:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

If we are never persecuted for Christ then others may say we are not true believers in Christ.

Persecution should make us feel joy because we know we are suffering as Christ suffered.

• 6 years later...

I was never persecuted until I began to take my faith seriously. Then, strange things began to happen and the persecution has been intense. We aren't persecuted because of our beliefs, but because of our behaviors. If we live out our faith in such a way that others do not understand or agree with, then we'll be persecuted.

The venues for persecution occur on the interface between secular and Christian. Often this means between the government and the church or individual believers.

Parents who go to school board meetings to protest trannies reading to their children, for example, can find their taxes raised, spurious charges placed against them by social service workers, strange and constant "drive-bys" when they walk in the evening, etc. This isn't paranoia. It's happening. Increasingly. 

If a person has never been persecuted it's because he or she is not on the interface, but is safely ensconced in the Christian church bubble. The minute a believer confronts people who are secular, confrontations, differences and persecutions begin. People whose light is hidden under a Christian bushel will never shine brightly before secularists -- they will never be persecuted.

--

I'm sorry, but persecution is so painful and fear-inducing that I can't imagine being happy as it occurs. I will say, though, that persecution is a form of suffering and suffering always brings us closer to Him. Perhaps this would be a fourth reason to rejoice (when it finally ends) -- that your faith has grown exponentially in ways that would never have happened had you not been persecuted.