JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Disobedient Disciple?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly not a "True disciple". Judas , a disciple, is a prime example. Many followed Christ, but followed Him afar off. Yes, we have choices. In fact our life is the product of our choices. Gideon had a choice to do God's will, or take a course of "least resistance." "He that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him, it is sin. Sin always brings guilt, and generally leads us away from the path of obedience to God's will for our lives.

• 1 month later...

disciple relates to discipline. A disciple follows obediently but just as we can have an unjust judge, so, for a time we can have a disobedient disciple. Continuing disobedience would mean failure to follow and in that case he would no longer be a disciple, but like Christian in Pilgrim's Progress we may all take a short cut through bypass meadow from time to time. Yes, in theory I believe Gideon did have a choice, but, in practice .. ? Irresisitible grace?

:blink: I believe Paul said it best in Romans Chapter 7 when he was trying to explain the difficulties of the warring parties of the flesh and spirit. Can we be disobedient disciples...of course, in our flesh..but if our hearts are truly set on GOD than it is not us who are disobedient but rather our sinful nature which resides in the flesh. I am sure we have all found ourselves doing things that we wish we would not do and yet not doing things that we wish to do.. does this mean that we have turned away from our LORD?..I think not, no more so than a child turns away from his mother/father in his fits of rage. I believe it is sometimes a matter of growth and understanding..we live in the pain of our disobedience until we are reconciled to our father and we want not to do that again. Food for thought brothers and sisters.

In the love of Christ,

-Walt :blink:

• 1 month later...

As a disciple of Christ we are pupils and followers. I agree that Paul said it best in Romans 7....We are of the flesh, sold into slavery under sin. Our old nature rebels and if we attempt to deal with it on our own strenth, we fail. Becoming a follower of Christ does not eradicate all of our old sinful nature but, with Christ who gives the strenth to endure and overcome, we can perservere. We must remember that God looks on the heart of man. He knows our shortcomings and is able to refine us. This is a lifelong process.

This is where Grace and Mercy comes in. :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

I do not believe this is an oxymoron. I do believe that you can be a disobedient disciple. Is it the right thing to do? No, but we all fall short sometimes and that is when we become disobedient disciples. We try to follow the Lord in all we do but there are times when we make decisions not based on His word or teachings. We do them because of our wants or our needs and not based on anything He tells us. I try to follow in the Lord's footsteps but I know I fall short a lot. I believe I am a disciple of the Lord and I do feel that sometimes I am disobedient. It is not something I am proud of but that is why I am glad that our Lord is a very forgiving Lord and He loves us even though we may sin occasionally.

Yes, Gideon had a choice here. The Lord didn't physically make him tear down the altar and build a new one for the Lord. He simply told him to do it and it was up to Gideon to make the decision on whether or not to do it. As we all know he made the right choice in following what the Lord told him to do.

We all have choices on a daily basis. It is up to us as Christians to follow the word of the Lord and make the right decisions on those choices. We must think of the Lord in all we do. Every time there is a decision I need to make I always ask the Lord's advice and ask Him to guide me in my ways. If I leave it up to Him I should never have to worry about the choices I make. I am so happy to have Him on my team.

Can a person be a "disobedient disciple"?

I believe a person can be a disobedient disciple. We have all been disobedient at one time or another. We have to always obey what God has commanded of us, or we are disobedient.

Doesn't that represent an oxymoron?

No, don't understand the meaning to oxymoron, even the dictionaries definition.

Did Gideon have a choice here?

Gideon did have a choice. The choice was to listen to God and face ridicule, or to face God very disobedient.

Do we have a choice?

Yes, when God tells us to do something, we can obey him or face the consequences.

• 4 months later...

Can a person be a "disobedient disciple"? Doesn't that represent an oxymoron? Did Gideon have a choice here? Do we have choices?

yes a person can be disobedient but this does not mean that it is right. yes our children do bold things and totally disobey at times and it is the wrong thing to do and we need to correct them. we too are children of God and we need to be striving at all times to walk in Christ's footsteps but as Paul said we want to go one direction but end up going in the other.

i dont know what oxymoron means

yes Gideon did have a choice to follow God or his society. we all have choices even doing this study is a choice we make for God instead of gardening or reading a book or a thousand other things. we have free will and this makes our faithfullness and obedience all the more precious as we give to god of our own free will because we love Him.

Q3. Can a person be a "disobedient disciple"?

None of us are perfect or sin free, so we are all disobedient at one time or another.

Doesn't that represent an oxymoron?

No because we confess our sins and are forgiven.

Did Gideon have a choice here?

He could have chosen to not obey God, but he didn

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting question that brings Jesus beloved disciple, Peter, to mind. He was certainly disobedient, yet still walking with the LORD. We can be disobedient disciples. In fact, we ARE because none of us get it 100% right all the time, every day. And even though we may disobey, we're still saved by grace and praise the LORD! our Heavenly Father still loves us!!! I don't think "disobedient disciple" represents an oxymoron -- it represents reality!

Gideon certainly had a choice, and so do we. Each day we wake up and decide to live saved, to walk upright before Him, to do His will, to allow Him to order our steps. Sometimes we make wrong decisions, BUT again -- GOD IS MERCIFUL! Gideon make the right decision because he understood how important it was for him to be in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing. God knows our heart, and if our desire and intent is to please God, I firmly believe that He will lead us into all truth, guiding us along the way to make right choices.

• 2 weeks later...
Q3. Can a person be a "disobedient disciple"? Doesn't that represent an oxymoron? Did Gideon have a choice here? Do we have choices?

A disciple could be disobedient and still be a disciple; Gideon believed in God but he was told to destroy altars of other gods and construct an altar to God and offer a sacrifice to God. In this part is talking about following a calling from God, to destroy altars; I truly believe that deep in Gideon's heart he feared God, he believed in God. His choice was to do something and not to believe in God or other gods. He needed to help the Israelites to come back to God.

Gideon had choices, destroy the altars or not to destroy the altars.

We have choices as disciples, we either follow God in a determined calling we have or we do not. Sometimes God calls us in the midst of our circumstances and asks us to do something, be something, help someone; our choice, do it or not to do it, but our heart is already set in God. Disobedience would be not listening to God's voice, we are still his disciples though. :D

• 2 months later...

Yes I think there can be a disobediant disciple we are only human we war with the flesh everyday and evil.Paul talks about this war in romans 7:14-25.

Gideon had a choice as a human, God has given us free choice but he also gave Gideon a direct order to obey him so we do have a choice but as christians if God gives us direct instructions we shouldnt even contemplate choosing.We made the choice when we gave our lives to Christ.

• 4 months later...

Q3. Can a person be a "disobedient disciple"? Doesn't that represent an oxymoron? Did Gideon have a choice here? Do we have choices?

Yes an individual can be a'disobedient disciple', I am a prime example. There are times when i do things that i know the Lord wouldn't approve of, but as His word said, 'all have sinned and come short of the glory of God'

It seemingly does represent an oxymoron.

Yes, that's one thing with God, He always gives us the right to choose, He doesn't force things on us.

Yes, we do. We are free to choose teh wrong of right, the devil or the Lord.

• 3 months later...

Yes, one can be a disobiedent dicisple, the first one who pops into my mind, that

tried to disobey God and run away is Jonah. But look what happened, he still ended up in Ninevah. Unfortunately this can be true of all of us at some time or another.

God gave us the freedom of choice, Choose you this day whom you will serve. I choose this day to follow the Lord!! Even as did Gideon.

• 1 month later...

:unsure: Oooh.. you presented a question here to day Praise the Lord!!

I believe that there are diobedient disciples among us today! Me, being one. Our sinful nature and old heart decieves us into believing if you sin that it will always be held aginst you. but our GOD says if we confess he will forgive. So it is all about reconciling your self back to GOd once you find a way out of disobedience. Now you CANNOT be a habitual disobedient disciple because GOD will only wink for so long. But GOD is merciful enough and understands we are not perfect but our job is to move faith by faith in Him that the disobedience turns to obedience.

Its our choice ...gideon chose...what's yours??

Thought to ponder:(Romans1:16-19)

Q3. Can a person be a "disobedient disciple"? Doesn't that represent an oxymoron? Did Gideon have a choice here? Do we have choices

Yes a person can be a disciple and be disobedient. The bible is full of examples of just that. Gideon did have a choice. He could have chosen to do nothing. We make our choices every moment of the day.

• 2 years later...

Can a person be a "disobedient disciple"? Doesn't that represent an oxymoron? Did Gideon have a choice here? Do we have choices?

Disciples can be disobedient at times. We all struggle with self-will and desire. However, I think as our relationship with God grows stronger, disobedience is steadedly decreasing. This doesn't represent an oxymoron because being a disciple doesn't equal perfection. Disciples are works in progress.

In this situation, Gideon had a choice. He could obey God or he could ignore and disobey God. We all have choices and our lives are a sum total of those choices. Wherever we should find ourselves today is because of our choices.

• 1 month later...

We are not infalable, so yes we are disobedient to God, but not because we go out to be disobedient, it just happens.

Yes Gideon did have a choice. but he was scared of his choice, so he went out at night, so that he would not be seen. he was afraid what his Father would say or do to him. We all can choose to do something , or not to do something. that is our Choice. But Gideon obeyed God, and chose to do what god had asked him to do.

• 1 month later...

Followers of God are called disciples. Just like a child can be disobedient, I believe a disciple can also be disobedient at times, disobedient enough to be called a disobedient disciple.

We all have choicesjust as Gideon did. We don't make wise choices all the time. We sometimes let our weaknesses overcome us and don't trust in God to strenthen and guide us. Gideon made a good choice by accepting God's leading and obeying in tearing down the altar of Baal and the Ashera Pole.

• 3 weeks later...

As a mere human being I am subject to selfish whims. While a disciple of Jesus Christ these whims have led me to fleshly desires. Still, I didn't stop being a disciple, I was weak and disobedient. As we grow we become stronger and more Christlike. It is being a disciple that allows me to see my mistakes and accomplish this.

God has given us a free will and we can quit anytime we choose, God forbid! Gideon had that choice and because he made the right choice Israel was saved. So too will we be when we choose Jesus.

Yes it is possible for a person to be disobedient disciple.

There are a times when one can use God as an excuse to avoid helping his/her parents, family members or those in needy. Or even using that Commandment of loving parents and avoiding to support God's work.

One may think that it is important to put money in God's Ministry than to help his/her parents. We have to balance, not to use God as an excuse to neglect our responsibility.

• 2 years later...