JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Carried Along by the Spirit

Q3. (2 Peter 1:20-21) How can a person be speaking and God be speaking, too? How does the image of a ship being moved by the wind help you understand this? (Greek pneuma means "spirit" and "wind.")

The 6th chapter of the Gospel of John evidently shows that when one knows God and is doing his will, it will no longer be man's speech but God is speaking through that man. We are very often directed by what we believe. Therefore, who do we represent?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (2 Peter 1:20-21) How can a person be speaking and God be speaking, too? How does the image of a ship being moved by the wind help you understand this? (Greek pneuma means "spirit" and "wind.")

Even though the prophet uses his voice and mind to reveal God's word, it is as God is speaking Himself. The wind is not seen by the naked eye but what the wind does is seen. It moves things. Well, God the Holy Spirit moves the prophet to speak and God impresses on the phophets spirit what to say and write. God uses the human instrument to outpour the divine.

Just my thoughts!

Sassyblue8

(2 Peter 1:20-21) How can a person be speaking and God be speaking, too? How does the image of a ship being moved by the wind help you understand this? (Greek pneuma means "spirit" and "wind.")

God is using the persons lips to speak His words thus both are speaking God's words. If we raise our sails (have faith and walk in obedience) we can be directed by the wind (Holy Spirit). It is essential that the Holy Spirit empower us so we can serve God and go wherever He takes us.

This has to be experienced I think rather than understood. This morning I was talking with a young student about Adam and Eve and the snake. I wasn't sure when we started where the conversation was going, so I just did my best to listen and help her think through some of the obvious and not so obvious implications of the text. I finally understood what it was all about when she told me that when I'd first assigned her to read that text last spring she read it as a story and didn't really believe that it was written by God. Then just before the end of school her science class was watching a movie about reptiles and amphibians and the commentator mentioned something about how scientists know that snakes used to have legs because they can see the vestiges of that in their skeletons. When she went back to read the Genesis text again last week she realized that one of the punishments for the snake was that it had to crawl on its belly forever after, implying that it once walked on legs. And this morning what she wanted to tell me about was how that very small concordance of ideas had make her realize that the Bible MUST be true: if you paid close enough attention you'd find concordance with things that are observed to be true, not just things that have to be taken on faith.

My listening this morning and allowing the words to come out as they would rather than planning a long explanation were about me speaking and God speaking too. I never could have anticipated this conversation, I just had to allow it to happen and accept what came out. Had I tried to work it out myself I would probably have messed it all up, and my student would never have been able to say aloud that she finally understood that the Biblical texts must be alive, true and given by God. Pretty amazing, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Because like you said, like God said, He moves us to speak; He gives us what to say.

Thank you for pointing out the ship analogy. It does me good to rmember to let go & let God stear when up against the tempest. And Always!!! For God will have His way, and I can make it much easier on myself if I would keep my flesh out of it. It's not about me! but about God! Hallelujah!!! :)

MEN SPOKE FROM GOD AS THEY WERE CARRIED ALONG BY THE HOLY SPIRIT MEANS THAT SCRIPTURE DID NOT COME FROM THE CREATIVE WORK OF PROPHETS'OWN INVENTION OR INTERPRETATION.niv.THE HOLY SPIRIT LIVES IN US,SO AS THE HOLY SPIRIT MOVES US ,GUIDES US,AND DIRECTS US IN SPEAKING,AND DOING GODS WORK.JUST AS A SHIP IS MOVED BY THE WIND SO ARE WE MOVED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.AMEN

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (2 Peter 1:20-21) How can a person be speaking and God be speaking, too?

If the Holy Spirit is living within you, then God is speaking through you.

How does the image of a ship being moved by the wind help you understand this? (Greek pneuma means "spirit" and "wind.")

Just as we cannot see the wind that moves the ship, we cannot see the Holy Spirit that resides in us. Just because we can

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q3. (2 Peter 1:20-21) How can a person be speaking and God be speaking, too?

A person and God can be speaking too, as God speaks to us through his Word (bible), through others, through us. He sometimes plants thoughts in our heads, it may through fulfilment of his Word or fulfilment of something we requested of Him, it may be through not granting a request . He may speak to us, by what He allows to happen to us and around us. If we have discerning hearts we will experience God actually speaking to us in a variety ways, while speaking to him. It may be through God rebuking or blessing us. There are many ways that we can be speaking to God, and Him speaking too

God is all powerful, we need to always remember that we serve a God who is not limited. Once we rely on God, we will see things happening to us that we can't even fathom, God is just awesome.

How does the image of a ship being moved by the wind help you understand this? (Greek pneuma means "spirit" and "wind.")

The ship depends totally on the force of the wind on its sail in order for it to move forward. Without the wind, then the ship would be unable to move. So too, we depend on God to lead and guide us through life. In order for Him to do this he has to instructs us, he has to communicate with us and to us. Once we beleive, once we are faithful, once we dependent on God, He will speak to us, not always atthe same time, but then again, sometimes atthe same time. Sometime in the midst of just thinking about God, he speaks to our hearts. God is a spirit, and once we worship him in spirit and in truth, we will experience his awesomeness.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

In 1 Peter 4:11 the brother tells us that if any man speaks let them speak as the oracles of God. I see us as a people, who when led by the Holy Spirit, will be the voice for God in prophecy. That is, of course, during those times when we are in His will, submitting ourselves to Him.

So then, as a ship is allowed to be driven by the wind so too are we when we give ourselves over to the Holy Spirit. It is He who will direct our thoughts and give us words to speak.

Human beings do the speaking, but God provides the motivation and inspiration as He speaks and moves in and through the individual. This is like a sail filling with wind which moves the boat. God's Holy Spirit fills and moves holy men of God to speak and preach His word.

• 2 months later...

God Speaks using people like the prophets. They do not speak what they imagine but they are moved by the Holy Spirit. So when they are speaking their message is authentic and reliable. God uses the talents, education, and cultural background of each individual and cooperates with each one in such a way to ensure the message He intended is communicated in the very words He mend.

The Holy Spirit moves us and we have to Obey where it leads us since it is our guidance.

• 8 months later...

Romans 8:26 says that the Holy Spirit "helps" us in our weakness. The word "helps" is significant and relevant to this question. The word "helps" is translated from the complicated greek word "sunantilambanetae." Lambane tae means "takes hold of." This word also has not one, but two prefixes: "sun" and "anti" which mean "with" and "instead of," respectively. Thus, we are told that the Holy Spirit takes hold of our weakness both with us and instead of us. Probably the best way that I am able to explain this gracious phenomena would be to compare it to a little girl who stands on her daddy's feet while her daddy holds her hands and dances with her. Is the little girl dancing? In the same way, when we are carried along with the Spirit in prayer or speech, it feels like we have some role in the prayer or speech, but we can sense also that it is really the Holy Spirit doing the dancing and He is graciously carrying us along with Him so that we are able to do God's will and share in His life.

• 5 months later...

When we submit ourselves to God to be used, God will speak through us and that is the way God does it. It is now His will be done. We open our mouths and God speaks. The wind is in control of the direction that the ship sails so is the control over us that we submit to God for His glory and His use.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (2 Peter 1:20-21)

How can a person be speaking and God be speaking, too?

Yes, God will be speaking

• 2 months later...

The image of a ship being moved by the wind in its sails is a very good one. Human beings consist of spirit, soul(includes mind) and body. The Holy Spirit speaks into our spirit; our spirit governs our mind, and our mind governs our body. In this way, I would suggest, God's words can filter down from our spirit to our minds and be reflected in what we say.

• 10 months later...

When we read the Bible out loud we are speaking God's word and hence HE is speaking; but we must do it with conviction and focus. It is not like wathcing TV and expecting to be entertined. Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." /sometimes for me it seems easy to hear HIM, other times, it is a struggle. But the important thing is that HE is always there, even if we can't connect due to the wrong focus. We are thankful for what is in the Bible, just as I am thinkful for all the blessings and all the signs that I have seen. It encourages me to think about them in times like this. We are truely luck when the wind of the Holy Spirit is upon us.

• 2 weeks later...

A person can be speaking and God be speaking too because God is using that persons Spirit to do his speaking. Our pastor speaks and God is speaking through him. The image of a ship being moved by the wind helps me understand this because it is the wind that is blowing the sails and moving the ship but is the rudder that is that guides the ship.

• 1 year later...

3a)Prophet were inspired to write what was the mind of God.People immersed in God’s Word obediently following him &receiving from him, are more open, in tune to hearing God speaking through His Word. People may be the human voice piece,articulating the words God has given them through Spirit as bringing to life the scriptures in a culturally relevent way

.b)The person who raises the sails,trusts in God that he will speak in their mind& seek this power, that through HS are given the words to preach.God is the wind, the moving force in all lives of those who believe.

• 6 months later...

Just as the winds drives a ship through the water, the Holy Spirit enlightens, inspires, and guides a person to speak, to write, and to act according to the Will of God. 

• 2 weeks later...

The image of the ship being moved by the wind helped me understand how God speaks through the prophet in that

- -the ship and the prophet both are just vessels being used to move something (cargo/a message) from one place to another place

- -they are each transporting someone else's cargo, not their own

- -they can only do their work if the wind/the Holy Spirit provides the ability/wisdom/knowledge and power needed

- -the wind/the Holy Spirit determines the direction of travel and the port/the people to whom the cargo will be carried.  The wind/the Holy Spirit is so powerful that it/He can overrule the rudder and send the ship to somewhere other than the sailors' planned destination

• 4 months later...

Q3. (2 Peter 1:20-21) How can a person be speaking and God be speaking, too?  Humans are simply vessels of God; he speaks through us when we receive the gift of His Spirit.

How does the image of a ship being moved by the wind help you understand this? (Greek pneuma means "spirit" and "wind.")  The ship is designed to be carried by water, not pushed or pulled.  Only with the water does it function as it was designed; just as humans.