JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Judgment upon Pharaoh

God did not just allow Abraham and Sarah to go thru these ordeals to learn about HIM. He also revealed HIMSELF to Pharoh and the other Egyptians by speaking to them and demonstrating HIS power and authority to them. He got their attention by making them sick and closing wombs, then again by healing them when they had done what pleased HIM. He was feared and obeyed. Glory to God.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pharoah and his household got sick because God inflicted serious diseases upon them because of Sarah. Pharoah finds out he has taken Abraham's wife as his own and is being punished for it. I think that what God was trying to accomplish thru this affliction was to have Abraham and Sarah leave Egypt and return to Canaan. It had the desired effect because Pharoah was angry at Abraham for deceiving him about Sarah. He had them sent out of Egypt.

Q2. (12:17-20) Why did Pharaoh and his household get sick?

Because he committed adultery by taking Abraham's wife as his own.

What effect did this have?

He sent them out of Egypt in a still famished land, to fend for themselves.

What was God seeking to accomplish through this affliction?

To set Abraham and Sarah free so that God

Why did Pharaoh and his household get sick? Because Pharoah had taken Sarai into his palace

What effect did this have? Abimelech, his wife and his slave girls were made barren

What was God seeking to accomplish through this affliction? To show everyone that if you didn't follow God's law and you continued to sin against Him, that there would be dire consequences

Did it have the desired effect? Yes it did. Sarai was retuned to Abram and they were set free to continue the work that God had for them to accomplish

Personally, I don't think that God "gives" affliction and sickness. I think it's His love and grace covering us that keeps us from reaping the full benefit of our sin, and it's only when something has gone far enough that He MUST remove his protective hand (and allow us to get a bit of the consequences of our sin)---which is what happened to Pharaoh and his family. (no man is an island)

GOD PASSES JUDGMENT ON PHARAOH AND HIS HOUSEHOLD BECAME SICK BECAUSE HE TOOK SARAH IN AND SHE BECAME HIS CONCUBIN(WIFE).AFTER HE HAD DISCOVERED THAT SHE WAS ABRAHAMS WIFE AND HE WAS BEING PUNISHED BY GOD HE BECAME VERY ANGRY.PHARAOH IS EVIL BUT I BELIEVE HE NEW WHAT GOD'S JUDGMENT WAS WHEN ALL HIS SICKNESS AND TROUBLES STARTED.SO HE NEW HE HAD TO GIVE ABRAHAM HIS WIFE BACK.

HE KNEW HE HAD TO LET ABRAHAM AND HIS WIFE GO AND NOT PUNISH THEM,"HE WAS BEING PUNISHED ALREADY AND IM SURE HE DIDNT WANT ANYTHING ELSE TO HAPPEN TO HIS HOUSEHOLD,SO HE SENT THEM ON THEIR WAY OUT OF EGYPT.ABRAHAM AND HIS WIFE WAS BLESSED TO SURVIVE WITH THEIR LIFE AND END UP HAVING MORE RICHES THAN WHAT THEY HAD.EVEN THOUGH ABRAHAM LIED AND HIS PROBLEMS MULTIPLIED THEY WERE SET FREE.

WAS THIS GODS PLAN THROUGH THIS AFFLICTION?WELL,THERE ARE TIMES I GO THROUGH SITUATIONS I DONT UNDERSTAND,AND TRY AND WORM MY WAY OUT OF IT.I ALWAYS HAVE TO GO TO GOD AND SAY,"OK GOD IVE MESSED UP,I NEED YOUR HELP.WHAT ARE YOU TEACHING ME?I SOON FIND OUT AND LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE,THANKING GOD FOR HIS MERCY AND GRACE TO GET ME THROUGH.ITS OUR OWN DOING"S IN WHAT WE DO ,NOT GODS.HE IS A GOOD GOD AND IS THERE TO HELP US.WE BRING AFFLICTIONS ON OUR OWN SELF. BLESSINGS LINDA

God wanted to let Pharoah know Sarah was married so she wouldn't be defiled by Pharoah and mess up God's plan to produce Isaac - and eventually, the seed of promise. Only God knows what's effective for each unique person and situation. God knew the outcome would produce God's desired results: releasing Sarah undefiled and healthy as well as preserving Abraham's life (the soon to be father of Isaac), thus preserving the line of Jesus. They both came away unscathed and more wealthy.

• 1 month later...
Q2. (12:17-20) Why did Pharaoh and his household get sick? What effect did this have? What was God seeking to accomplish through this affliction? Did it have the desired effect?

pharaoh house hold became sick because of pharaohs refusal to obey god and let the isrealite go. efect was every time pharaoh disobey god god harden his heart it did not have the efect he ignorded what god had told moses

Q2. (12:17-20) Why did Pharaoh and his household get sick? What effect did this have? What was God seeking to accomplish through this affliction? Did it have the desired effect?

pharaoh household became sick because god was not going to alow sara to become defiled by pharaoh the efect that it had was pharaoh had a dream god spoke to him andhe knew abraham was gos vessal even though abraham in his weakness lied to save his skin and god allowed sickness on his house hold the effect was pharaoh did not touch sara and let abraham and sara go

• 2 weeks later...

Pharaoh's household became sick bcoz God wants to demonstrate to him the consequences of messing with His chosen ones. Naturally, as Pharaoh, he would have abducted countless women, other men's wives nonetheless. But God revealed Himself to him thru this judgement that he may know there is a God who treats relationships seriously.

God seeks to strike the fear of the LORD into pharaoh and His presence and guidance to Abraham. Yes, i'm sure Abraham and Sarah now dwelled into a more loving relationship with each other and with God, Whom they know are is there at times of need...like Adam n Eve in the Garden.

Yes, it achived that effect..for Abraham loved his wife to the very end, (her death)

• 1 month later...

Lesson 2 Q2

(a) Pharaoh and his household got sick because of sin. This Pharaoh took Abraham's wife, Sarah as his own, therefore he had to be punished for it. Sin must be punished.

(B) The effect this had is both Pharaoh, his household and Abraham must realize who God is. God is Judge and he sees everything!

© God was seeking to accomplish through this affliction is God is in control. His promises are secure. If anyone cursed Abraham, they would be cursed. Abraham was promised, The Land, and Offspring. No man can stop God Almighty. Amen!

(d) Yes, it did have the desired effect because when this Pharaoh realized he had sinned and was being punished by Abraham's God, Pharaoh did not punish Abraham and Sarah but sends them out of Egypt. Pharaoh knew who was in control.

Why did Pharoah and his family get sick?

Pharoah and his family became sick because he took Sarah as his wife.

Pharoah and his family were not prosperous. In fact, they were going to die.

What was GOD seeking to accomplish.

GOD was proving how angry he was. He was angry about adultery. This is a very detestable sin. Also, GOD proved to Abraham that he was serious about blessing him and his family.

Yes, it had the desire effect. Although, Abraham and Sarah did not reveal the total, Pharoah blessed with many material possessions. :P

• 7 months later...

Because of sin, the sin of taking Sarah who was another's wife into his house. It brought on sickness that would have led to death had he not heard the voice of God.

It had the effect of stopping Pharaoh from touching Sarah and caused Him to restore Sarah to Abraham along with material wealth.

God was seeking to establish the pure undefiled linage that Jesus would come from and reminding Abraham that God is able to deliver us if we abide in his truth and have faith.

Yes, it had the desired effect, Sarah was returned undefiled and Abraham's faith was strenghten to carry on in God's will.

• 1 month later...

I really believe that Abraham (and Sarah) had screwed up and taken matters into their own hands throughout this whole episode. Notice that the Bible never says that God told Abraham to avoid the famine by going into Egypt. This will not be the last time that Abraham and Sarah start "fixin' things." Remember the Hagar/Ishmael story? We all tend to do that. We reach some sort of crisis. We pray for God's guidance. Then, a lot of times, we just haul off and do what seems easiest without waiting for God to answer. Most of the time, God ends up having to save us from ourselves. That's what He had to do here. He had to act. Remember how important it was to God that He have a pure lineage from Abraham and Sarah down through to the birth of Jesus? The desired effect was achieved. Pharaoh did turn Sarah loose undefiled.

• 1 month later...

It reminds me of when I do something unpleasing to God. Even when I don't know it, I become sick, sick spritually, sick mentally, and sick physically. God let Pharah know that there was something wrong. Almost like his conscience. God was trying to show Pharaoh that what he was doing was wrong. Pharah didn't know, so God had to show him some how. Abraham surely wasn't gona say anything. I truely believe God will do for us what we can not do for our selves. And sure it had the desire effect. Pharaoh return Sarah to Abraham. Gods will was fufilled. No if we all would listened when God is trying to tell us something.

• 7 months later...

Disoabedience brings on consequences Pharoh was deceeived by Abram by not tellings that Sarai was his wife, but

god used the sickness on Pharoah because of his aaction in taking Saria as his wifew hich allowed Abram to face the lie in giving Sarai to Him. The sickness inflicted on Pharoah not only on him bit his entire householdallowing Sarai to be freed to go back to Abram. God,span was carried out tto His purposes and to His timing.

• 2 weeks later...

Life is made up of choices and every choice has a consequence. Abraham disobedience to God put

sarah and Pharoah in a bad position. God brought illness to Pharoah by taking Sarah into his harem and thinking she was Abraham's sister. But your sins will find you out as did Abraham's.Abraham was blesssed with cattle and sent on his way. God had further plans for him.

Abraham's sin was exposed as soon as Pharoah found out Sarah was Abraham's wife.

the truth must be told and Pharoah taking Sarah into his household was a sin on his part and the consequences was disseases of all kinds. It affected all those who wwere involved, but God blessed Abraham in spite of his lying and he left a very wwealthy man. Your sins will find you ouut,but God offers forgiveness.

• 4 months later...

God had a plan in place for Abraham and Pharaoh was in the way. When God moves obstacles He does so by effecting the lives of those in the way, in this case, making Pharaoh's household sick. The result was that Pharaoh put two and two together and Sarah was restored to Abraham, Abraham was set free and, materially increased as well. Our God is an awesome God.

• 3 months later...

These plagues descended when Sarai moved in. Pharaoh quickly realized the problem. Truly he laid the problem where

it belonged, at Abram's feet. He realized she was Abram's wife, and God was displeased with Abroham for saying she was his sister.

Pharaoh asked Abram "why did you lie to me?. You got me into trouble. Hurry up and get out of here, so God will stop this plague."

Our lesson to be learned in all of this is two-fold. #1. We should not lie to protect ourselves. :angry: #2. God will be with us to help us out of whatever mess we get ourselves into, if we are His. :)

In this, I believe Abram saw that he had sinned, and went back to find God, to get forgiveness, and begin again. That is where so many people fail. When a Christian realizes he has sinned, he should repent, and go back to his first love of God, and begin again. I know, personally, I have to constantly ask for God's help in this area and I am so thankful for His grace. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Pharaoh and his household was being punished for bringing Sarai into this situation. The effect was Pharaoh angerly telling him to take Sarai to leave. But he let Abram take the livestock, servants and camels he had given him. Also Pharaoh told his men not to harm Abram. Could it be that God wanted Abram to move on and not get settled in Egypt? This situtation is similar to when Moses and the Israelites left Egypt. God sent the plagues on the Egyptians then. God accomplished what he wanted.

Q2. (12:17-20) Why did Pharaoh and his household get sick?

Pharaoh and his household got sick because he had taken Sarai into his harem.

Pharaoh immediately realized what precipitated this sickness and raced to correct the error of his ways.

What was God seeking to accomplish through this affliction? Did it have the desired effect?

God sought to have Pharoah release Sarai to her husband. And yes, the desired effect was met. Pharaoh afraid that he was being judged release Sarai to Abraham.

• 1 month later...

Naturally, Pharaoh was punished for taken Sarai, but I feel the clear message God was sending to Pharaoh is "...do my prophets no harm." I say this because in chapter 20, we see where Abraham prayed for Abimelech and his family because God had closed the womb of the women in his household for taking Sarah, and God heard his pray and the women were able to bear children. When everyone got sick in Pharaoh's house he realized the connection, between his household sickness and the taking of Sarai, maybe God gave his some warning, this is not clear as how he made the connection, but he did correct the situation and returned Sarai and told them to leave his area. God may have been trying to reach Pharaoh's heart for him to repent for his sins, and used this as a way to get his attention. We see another issue of this kind in Daniel where King Nebuchadnezzar was reduced to crawling on the ground and acting strange for seven years, because of his pride. We do know that Pharaoh returned Sarai to Abraham, and maybe that was all God wanted to accomplish, we don't know what long term effect this had on Pharaoh because we don't hear about him anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

Pharoah and his household became sick because of the mistake commited by Abraham .God in his mercy , provided a way out

God wanted Abraham to understand the implication of his mistake which was so costly .We learn from our mistakes - the hard way