JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Accounting Faith as Righteousness

Lesson 4 Q2:

(a) What is so amazing about this verse (15:6) is here Abraham believed God's promise afresh. His confidence takes on a new steadfastness. He believes God's promise will certainly be fulfilled.

(B) The basis God declares Abraham a righteous person is Abraham's steadfastness in faith as "righteous".

© The significance this do have to our New Testament understanding of justification by faith is God accounts faith to us as righteousness, just like he did for Abraham, but, it is the righteousness of Jesus Christ that is credited to our account, not anything we have done ourselves.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (15:6) What is so amazing about this verse? On what basis does God declare Abraham a righteous person? What significance does this have to our New Testament understanding of justification by faith?

His faith in steadfastly doing what is righteous and being obedient to God even when circumstances would say it was impossible.

He believed God and was certain what he believed would come to pass. He did not know when or How only that it would happen because God promised it.

God accounts faith on our part to righteouness just as He did for Abraham. When we stand frim in faith it is like putting money in the bank that is earning us interest in the future. Best of all it is God's gift for we could never on our own merit earn this. God is awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Right here in Genesis, God gives us the answer that we don't seem to "get" until Paul tells us, and some of us don't even get it then. :unsure: It takes so little for us to satisfy our Heavenly Father: Just BELIEF in Him. My husband and I have been having a discussion: Was it easier for the pagan Abraham to start believing in God or us in the present age to believe in God? My husband thinks it must have been easier for Abraham, because God made His presence known and talked to him. I think that our faith should be easier to come by today because we have the history of believers set forth from Abraham to the present to inspire us--not to mention our Lord Jesus Christ as God's gift to us.

• 1 year later...

The revelation that we do not declare ourselves righteous. God does, by our faith in Him. What is amazing is that Abram demontrated his great faith in the promise of Yah doing the impossible and God immediately responded to that faith because He knew that it was genuine.

Our faith will allow the Lord to justify us, freeing us from the guilt of sin. I would imagine that the feeling of a new life in us is similar to that of Abram with the promise of an heir.

• 3 months later...

[

Q2. (15:6) What is so amazing about this verse? On what basis does God declare Abraham a righteous person? What significance does this have to our New Testament understanding of justification by faith?

Christians may believe in God with respect to the common concerns of this life; but the faith by which they are justified, always has respect to the person and work of Christ. Abram believed in God as promising Christ; they believe in him as having raised him from the dead, Romans 4:24. Through faith in his blood they obtain forgiveness of sins.

Justification is the legal act where God declares the sinner to be innocent of his or her sins. It is not that the sinner is now sinless, but that he is "declared" sinless. This declaration of righteousness is being justified before God. This justification is based on the shed blood of Jesus, "...having now been justified by His blood..." (Rom. 5:9) where Jesus was crucified, died, was buried, and rose again (1 Cor. 15:1-4).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Q2. (15:6) What is so amazing about this verse?

What's so amazing about this verse is that the promise previously given is now believed and Abraham looks forward to its fulfillment.

On what basis does God declare Abraham a righteous person?

Abraham is declared a righteous person on the basis of his faith in believing God's promise.

What significance does this have to our New Testament understanding of justification by faith?

For us, we can completely believe that we are justified, all it takes is our faith to believe.

It was amazing that after all the time that Abraham had waited for a heir that he sincerely believed God when he told him he would have as many as the stars in the sky. It was by his faith in God that Abraham was righteous. It's only by our faith in Jesus that we are justified.

• 2 months later...

What is amazing about this verse is that God accepts us just as we are and rewards us for our simple innocent trust and faith in Him , which is quite a challenge in both todays world as well as the world of Abraham , who , without any outside support, in his time, (for eg - this bible study help tool) believed God , ie He took God at His Word

For us , as New testament Christains , we are justified, in the same manner , by simple pure faith, in God . No questions , no clarifications , no discussions , no arguments !!!!! WOW

What a God !!!!

• 3 months later...

What is so amazing about this verse, and it can only be amazing to humans, is that God honors those who honor Him and believe what is says. God counts righteous and faithful those that follow His directions, principles, values, instructions, etc. Those that honor Him by believing Him and responding to Him in a faith that is based on the fact that God honors His promises and delivers on what He says. God honors those who act on His precepts and principles.

From a New Testament perspective -- we are saved by placing our faith in Jesus Christ as the ultimate atonement for human sin. By faith we respond to, and follow God's leadership and direction, our call, in this life. In other words, we redirect our lives in faith in response to the Word of God.

• 2 months later...

What is so amazing about this verse is that God does keep His promises. Abraham was a righteous person because of his faith. The same goes for us today, if we stand on our faith, believe God for what He says he will do, do not doubt or fear, we will receive the promises of God.

Bible commentaries and dictionaries demonstrate that the legal terms

• 5 months later...

I believe it is not by Abraham's actions that God considers him righteous, but by his faith. The actions of praying, attending church, reading the Bible, etc. do not make a person righteous in the eyes of God... it's our belief and trust in God that result in being right with God...and as a result of our faith these kinds of actions follow. We are not righteous because of our actions, our actions are the result of our faith in the righteousness of Christ on our behalf.

• 8 months later...

What is so amazing about this verse?

This is the first time in the Bible in which God introduces us to the concept of salvation or righteousness through faith, a recurring theme throughout the Old and New Testaments and a key element of Christian faith.

On the basis of his faith in God.

What significance does this have to our New Testament understanding of justification by faith?

This concept of righteousness and salvation through faith is a recurring theme throughout the entire Bible, and in particular in the New Testament writings of Paul. I had actually never made the connection between this concept, which is so clear in the New Testament and in my entire faith and the story of Abraham all the way back in Genesis, mainly I suppose because I have never studied the Old Testament before. In my view, this connection through the entire Word of God is very important, and for me, shows the real benefits and rewards of studying the bible carefully in depth. There must be so many gems like this in there just waiting to be discovered. I can't wait :)

Abraham believed God. It was by faith that God credited it to him as righteoousness. Not by works, but by faith. Just as it is with us today it is completely putting our trust in Him. Believing that Christ died for us.

Abraham was declared righteous because of his faith in what God said. He had riches, but no heir and his desire was a son, which God promised him, to come from his own body. Abraham believed.

The New Testament understanding of justification is our belief that Christ died for our sins and our slate is wiped clean. Justification is just as if we didn't sin. We still mess up but through the blood Christ Jesus we are declared sinless.

• 2 weeks later...

And he believed in the Lord and he counted it to him for righteousness.

I had to write the verse out, it is so amazing, that God seen Abrahams faith and counted it to him for righteousness.

My righteousness where as filthy rags, my unbelief seperated me from God, but now I stand in Christ, with my hope and faith built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness. Now God has counted my faith to me as righteousness.

What a great God we have.

Thank you Lord for saving Me.

• 2 months later...

Faith in God, trusting in His promise, and living our lives accordingly, is justification by faith. Abraham believes God, brings his doubt to God and believes in His assurance. This belief makes Abraham a righteous man. We have to surrender everything to God, who, in His infinite wisdom and power, is capable of anything. We are limited and do not understand, therefore we must believe.

• 2 weeks later...

The part that is so amazing is that this applies to me today as well. Righteousness was credited to Abraham because he believed what God had promised him. We are saved because we believe on the name of Jesus Christ, even though we can't visually see Him. And this is credited to us, we are in right standing before God because of Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (15:6)

Before, Abraham had obeyed God and moved to the land of Canaan; now he trusts God fully to fulfil His promises and is immediately justified by faith. We find this foundational truth is repeated three times in the New Testament (Romans 4:3; Galatians 3:6; and James 2:23) and shows that righteousness is reckoned in return for faith. The righteousness here refers to the perfect standing which God provides for those who believe on His Son (2Corinthians 5:21).We know God

• 4 weeks later...

It is amazing that believing God and His promises makes you a righteous person. God requires us to believe what He says; it is written that it is impossible to please God without faith.You must believe He is and He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Our faith and declaration of it is the liberating act of believing that everything works out for good to those who love God.

• 3 weeks later...

God has promised Abraham what appears to be impossible, that he will have an heir of his own body .

Abrham beleived God and with this one step....faith....God counted him as being righteous.

This is the step of faith that we are all asked to take....to know that we are given eternal life for our belief and faith in Jesus as our Savior. We did nothing to earn this but it is a gift.

• 1 month later...

(15:6) What is so amazing about this verse?

It is a powerful verse showing us that Abraham was counted as righteous because He believed God

It is significant to our New Testament understanding of justification by faith because we are justified because the Perfect lamb died in our stead and He stands in our place, therefore, we are justified in Him.

• 5 months later...

o

All the way back in the Book of Genesis God had already established the basis of righteousness - belief in what God has said. In order for the redeemer to come Abraham had to have a son and so Abraham believed God. How are we saved? By believing God. Believing God that He sent His Son, believing God that His Son died for us and the third day He rose from the dead, believing God that Christ's death paid the penalty for our sin. When we believe God, God counts us righteous.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This verse, in my opinion, has many amazing aspects starting with God's promise to Abraham that he will have an heir of his seed. Amazing is the vivion of the stars and grains of sand which represesent his offspring and will always be available to reassure him. However, I would declare that the most amazing content of this verse is that the Lord had credited Abraham's faith as righteousness.

The significance of of this to our New Testsament is that through our faith in Jesus Christ God credits us as righteous.