JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. El Roi, the God Who Sees

Hargar knew God was everywhere and all seeing that is the reason for the name. The other gods that she had been told about where nothing but fakes she knew that this was the real GOD. Hargar knew she would never be alone again. To me it means God will never leave me or forsake me and I will always be seen and in his love.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The significance of Hagar's name for God-the God who sees-was that not only did God know of Hagar's present situation, He knew what the future of her offspring Ishmael would be.

It is one thing to know in theory that God knows about you and cares for you. It is an awesome experience to suddenly be aware of His presense and to have a revelation that He actually does love and care for you.

• 1 month later...

What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees? What does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope? What does it mean to you personally?

Mant a times, i lose hope in myself and feel my faith sliding away...regardless of how my feeble feelings render me...El Roi, the God Who Sees will keep me in His arms...for i am His. So El Roi is a great comfort for he who is destitute and lonely...in a spiritual desert, it's a easy trudge when we know that there's One who sees us from above.

To me, I must learn to keep whispering doubts under tab by the conviction that the God who sees is always here to protect me...it also means He sees whenever i sin; in my closet or otherwise. So i must always keep in personal touch in Him to walk in holiness and righteousness all the days of my life.

It is wonderful to know that ...El Roi, the God Who Sees... was there for Hagar, is here for me, and will be always for me and anyone who needs Him. The Lord knew where she was and where she was heading to. He also knew and told her about the future. It is of great comfort to know that the Lord is not a respecter of persons. If He did this for Hagar, I know that He sees me too. And I know that He has a purpose for me.

• 1 month later...

Lesson 5 Q 3:

(a) The significance of Hagar's name for God - EI Roi, the God who sees is Hagar is aware that God sees everything - her misery, feelings and all else that no one else sees or understands. He is an awesome God!

(B) To a person who is discouraged and losing hope it means that there is someone who cares and understands. A God who knows everything about us - inside and out that no one else knows. A person will find Love in God, that this world do not offer to someone who is discouraged and losing hope. God is Love!

© To me personally it means I have a God who is with me when I am lonely, afraid, depressed or whatever state I am in. I need not be alone for God is by my side and many times carrying me when I can not make it on my own. A good example would be the writting, "Footprints in the sand".

• 7 months later...

Q3. (16:13-14) What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees? What does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope? What does it mean to you personally?

Hagar realized that God say her as a person, a daughter He loved. she was not just a servant less important in God's eyes. He saw what she had gone through, where she was and why, He saw her hurt and disappointment. He loved her yet he gently let her know she was out of His will and must return.

God see our discouragment and disappointments but God never changes and that should give us great comfort and hope and faith to believe when all seems lost.

• 1 month later...

Hagar was amazed that God had cared enough personally to "see" her condition, speak to her, and advise her. I'm sure, being an Egyptian by birth, Hagar had known only of the Egyptian gods, not the personal God of Abraham. We are all self-centered to a degree. What if God had made us and forgotten us, as some people claim? Who could we turn to when alone, discouraged, and afraid? Isn't that why we should fall on our knees in praise for Him?? He is OUR GOD WHO SEES and answers our prayers. Knowing God could see her and that He cared for her gave Hagar the strength to go back. She now understood that God was there with her personally, even though she was a "nobody." When I get discouraged, I turn to Philippians 4:13: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

• 4 weeks later...

God is a personal God. God sees and watches our every action. Hagar needed a personal God at this time. She is escapeing into the unknown. This is a hard thing to do unless you have someone with you. Who does she have? Only God and the child. She need a guide, She needs someone to talk to, She needs some one to protect her. God comforts her by the presents.

Mike

• 8 months later...

Q3. (16:13-14) What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees? What does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope? What does it mean to you personally?

She recognized God was there for her at this time.

she found hope and encouragement amd she as not alone4 and recogni zed that the Lord would take caare of her at all times and her son as well.

• 3 months later...

Jesus later told that His eye is on the sparrow and that the very hairs on our head are numbered meaning our Heavenly Father is always watching over us. He never leaves our side which Hagar observed by naming Him El Roi. When we enter the valley we should remember that He is with us. When we lose sight of this and become depressed and hopeless it is we who have foresaken Him and we simply need to call upon Him for He is near. This is something that I am learning through experience.

• 3 months later...

Hagar suddenly became aware of God's presence and personal care and thus named God El Roi. To be discouraged and one who is losing hope and then to be suddenly aware that God loves you and cares for you is the greatest source of joy.

This is the ultimate joy and comfort to me personally.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Q3. (16:13-14) What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees?

Hagar is convinced that God sees and knows everything. He knows what is going on and is concerned about her plight.

What does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope?

To a person who is discouraged and losing hope, knowing that God sees all things and is concerned about you this helps you to reestablish your hope in God's power to keep you in the midst of a trying situation.

What does it mean to you personally?

For me this means that I can be at peace and rest in the knowledge that God is watching everything that concerns me.

• 5 months later...

God saw her and knew her name. It means a lot to know that God knows us and cares about our condition. In fact, it is amazing. Even more importantly, He has solutions for our problems and challenges in life.

It gives me great hope, promise, and security.

• 2 months later...

In her humble admiration to God she realizes that God is an all seeing God. He sees every hurt and pain we have, every problem we encounter. That He does care and wilol never leave you. (2) To some one who is discouraged, it is strength to know that God knows and sees were you are, he willing to help, he will never forsake you. Call on the name of the Lord.(3) For me personally, the trials that I go through are blessed because I know my God is right there with me in the midst of the fire. All I do is pray, believe, trust God totally, and praise Him for who He is. While I am waiting for Him to bring me out, I am being the best witness for Him that I can be. I do not look at my circumstance. HE HAS NEVER FAILED!!

El Roi, the God Who Sees. Hagar is the only person in Scripture to name God.

It's this characteristic of God

• 1 month later...

Q3. (16:13-14) What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees?

What an awesome revelation during a time of crisis in one's life. To recognize in the midst of it all that there is a God who loves us unconditionally, that realizes who we are, knows our name, and truly cares about us. So often in our troubles, we can't see anything but ourselves, but here Hagar's eyes are opened, as well as her spirit that the Almighty God knows her and loves her.

When one is so down and out, your circumstances are so bleak, and you feel so alone, without any hope in sight, it is so wonderful to be reminded that we have a Savior who loves us no matter how we are, or what we have or haven't done. What is so amazing to me is that God has never left us at any time. He has been there all along. It's just we ourselves that have been blinded to the truth, and been so overwhelmed in what we were going through that we shut ourselves off from everyone else. It's easier to just withdraw more and more, holding others at bay. But eventually, we must come to the place where we go to the Savior, asking forgiveness for our doubt and despair, asking cleansing in our heart from anything that may be a hindrance in our lives, and ask Him to take complete charge of our lives. Only then can we let go of this horrendous burden, and be lifted up into His presence, and be refilled and renewed by His precious Holy Spirit. Only when we let go of self, can we be filled with His glorious presence.

For many years, I have been a Christian woman raising our 3 children in church alone; now it's my 2 grandchildren. It's not an easy thing to do, but God has been so faithful to me. Oh don't get me wrong, I find myself struggling oftentimes with frustration and despair, but somehow God in His infinite love and mercy, draws me to Him, where I can be refilled and restored. I would hate to think I didn't have my Heavenly Father, as frankly, no one else cares for me in such a way. I truly can't fathom why He hasn't given up on me, but oh how thankful I am that He hasn't. He first saw me, called me to be His own, and still loved me even when I failed Him so many times. Yet He hasn't given up on me. What a blessed Savior we serve. I so thank Him for His grace and mercy, and His continual prodding in my life.

• 4 months later...

Q3. (16:13-14) What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees? I believe Hagar realized that God acknowledged, loved and cared for a simple servant girl as herself, and in her time of despair she was elated to learn she was not alone.

What does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope? They will never have to face it alone, God will always be there to see them through any and all tribulations they might experience.

What does it mean to you personally? Comfort and Peace in knowing if God brings me to it, he'll bring me through it, never leaving me on my own.

• 8 months later...

What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees? Hagar realizes that the mighty and all powerful God actually knows about her, that He sees the difficulties that she is in and that He cares about her.

What does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope? What does it mean to you personally? I can answer these two questions together. It is a great thing that we have such a mighty and all powerful God. He is, after all, the creator of everything and has power over everything. That in itself is awe inspiring. However, what is even more amazing is that He knows about each one of us individually, cares about us and responds to our pleas to Him. I have been having a very difficult time both in my work and in my personal life recently and up until a few months ago, I was quite literally without hope and in despair. I brought the whole situation before God and called on Him to help me and to guide me to resolve the problems and whilst doing that to give me a real peace. If you are reading this, you can believe me or not, but I can tell you for a fact that from the moment that I called on God in this way, I have seen the knots of the problems surrounding me, all of which have been created by me I might add, unraveling in what can only be described as a miraculous way It hasn't happened instantly and it is an on going process but I know that God is resolving it in His time and in accordance with His will. The reason this has happened is that He knows about the problems which I have, He cares about them and if I call on Him, He will be there for me just as He was in Hagar's hour of need. Now, not only do I have hope, but I wake every morning and God is right there by my side and He stays with me through everything I do. In fact I wake up every morning looking forward to seeing God in action!! The peace and joy which I get from this knowledge is almost impossible to put into words, but it is a joy and peace which I want everyone to be able to share.

• 2 weeks later...

El Roi, the God Who Sees, wow, knowing that God knew her personally. He knew her name, He knew her circumstances, He knew how she felt, so alone and not knowing where to turn, and then she had an emcounter with THE ONE WHO SEES. This was so personal coming face to face with an all loving God.

To be so discouraged and having all hope lost what an everlasting life change to know that there is a God who knows you by name and loves you with everlasting love. What can compare to this encounter, I don't think there is anything to compare. with it. Just to know that He is with us all the tme. What peace, what comfort.

It gives me great peace just knowing He is with me at all times, and that He loves me no matter what the circumstances. What would I so without El Roi, the God Who Sees. He is my all.

• 2 weeks later...

What a name , what a God, Hagars name was so right for our loving God, is it not the most comforting thing to know that our God sees all that happens in our lives , He is with us in our times of trouble and despair and our happiness.

Today I had to visit a brother who lost his wife to a sudden and destructive illness, our God seen it all, the rush to hospital, the doctors care, the severe pain from the illness, the heart attack, the fear,the loss, the feeling of helplessness, God seen it all, He understood and praise Him He undertakes.

I will never leave you or forsake you

Thank you Lord for saving me.

• 2 months later...

Hagar names God because God sought her out personally and said "I see you." To Hagar, a person discouraged and losing hope, God's reminder that she was counted, renewed her hope and wonder in the Lord. I can use the Lord's remembrance of Hagar as an example of His love and care for all of us, even when we think we are alone and abandoned.

It makes God personal, He is here with me, He sees my circumstances. He knows how I feel. I am not alone in this world, He walks beside me through this journey. He knows my needs. I love the Lord so much, He has made me whole,I am complete in Him.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (16:13-14)

What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees?

Our Heavenly Father not only loves cares and knows each one of us; He hears and sees all we do. The name El-Roi provides the message: God spoke in direct revelation, and Hagar responded in faith. God sees distress and hardship and He hears. The lesson was clear for Sarah, Abraham, Hagar, Israel, and for Christians: God