JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. El Roi, the God Who Sees

Q3. (16:13-14) What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees? What does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope? What does it mean to you personally?

Hagar gives God the name meaning, 'the God who sees.' It brings such hope to see this account where someone seems to be at their lowest and there is God Himself coming to tell her what the best decision is for the situation. He does not let her wander through the desert, but reveals Himself and His plan to her. I can offer, in all assurance, that the Lord will hear your cry and offer guidance in all your situations, especially the really tough ones.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees?

Hagar named God the One Who Sees Me......He looked down on her sadness and actual flight of running away form an awful situation and gave her hope. I had never really thought about this before but it must have felt bad to have to sleep with your mistress' husband, then be punished after doing the thing you were told to do....she must have felt so angry and confused. So for God to SEE her must have given voice to her sorrow.

What does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope?

Losing hope....it jsut makes us want to give up....run and hide or go back home as fast as we can. We can see a human situation that seems like no end....let alone a halfway good end is near.

What does it mean to you personally?

God has brought me through many tough times....raising my children in very unhappy circumstances, but He used all of this for His glory and brought me to the other side to be able to claim His victories....so far it has taken a lifetime, but that is what I have.....smiles.....

• 1 month later...

Q3. (16:13-14) What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees?

The signifWhat does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope? What does it mean to you personally?

The significance of Hagar's name for God is that she now knows that God sees her, not only does He see her, but He knows about her circumstances and He is with her. This is very encouraging for Hagar who felt so alone.

It means a lot to a person when he or she knows that God is with them. It invigorates us to keep moving. I am going through something on my job, but I am trusting God and the more I trust Him, the more confidence He has given me to walk in this situation that He is bringing me through in victory. I have my joy, peace and hope knowing that He will never leave me nor forsake me.

• 5 months later...

Q3. (16:13-14) What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees? What does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope? What does it mean to you personally?

The interesting thing about the circumstances that Hagar finds herself is that most of it was none of her doing. As a slave she had no say about going into Abraham and conceiving a child. True she should not have acted to Sarah as she did but the circumstances she finds herself in have happened to her because of Abraham and Sarah's decisions. If the truth was really known we get down on ourselves and discouraged many times for far less than Hagar did. Here was Hagar a slave girl, no where to go, out on the street, the only food and water was what she could carry - definitely a very serious situation. But the thing that Hagar found out and the thing we find out from this passage is that when the situation looks the darkest and we think we are alone in our circumstances, our God sees and He is there by our side seeing us through. When we allow Him to speak to us during these times of darkness, it will bring meaning to our situations and testings.

• 3 months later...

[/q1.

1. What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees? That she has experienced God

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Pastor Ralph' date='10 September 2004 - 01:44 AM' timestamp='1094795090' post='8962']

The significance of Hagar's name for God is that during her time of extreme tribulation God presented Himself to her, encouraging her to return to Sarah. This meeting reinforced the love and concern that the Lord has for our situation...Hagar was moved greatly by this experience. It is interesting to remember here that during this event that Hagar is the only individual in the Bible to actually name God.

When a person is discouraged and losing hope knowing that the Lord cares for and loves us gives us the strength and courage to continue on; facing trials and tribulations with a new-found energy.

• 8 months later...

3a)Hagar having seen angel is personally overwhelmed by God’s presence&care for her,and joyfully names him the God who see’s me.

B)It affirms an individual&encourages them to know God knows what is happening in their life & cares,&also if someone remembers your name &asks about them.

c)It encourages and affirms me to know God has a plan for my life.he cares for me,inspiring me to press on even in difficulties.Isaiah 40:31 Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

It a personal revelation to Hagar that God sees her individually and cares about her.  It warms the soul and excites the spirit knowing that cares about me personally, as an individual.  It means I have a purpose and a purpose that means something.  It gives one hope in knowing that God cares about them. It gives me hope that God cares about me.

• 2 years later...

This must have been a light at the end of a tunnel for Hagar when she realized that not only did God see and know her, but He cared about her.  She named God "El Roi, the God Who Sees."  The "God who sees me" puts together the word for "God" and the word for "looking, appearance."

This has a special meaning for a person who is in need, because it's one thing to know that God knows and loves you; it's quite another to be aware/feel His presence.  God sees us in our need: " . . . a refuge in times of trouble" (Ps. 9:9).  It is one thing to know about God, but quite another to actually know Him personally.  

At times, to get to point where "thy will be done" in my life did not come easy, but God was patient in knowing that I would finally see if I just looked high enough--to Him.

• 3 months later...

Hagar has name God, she calls him neither male or female, but El-Roi. She was astonished that God knew and heard her prayers.

To a person who is discouraged or losing hope he must remember that God cares for us. We should not be forgetting that the God who cares for us, died for us.

I have found that when I am depressed or see no results from prayers, God always has a way to lift my life back up and renew the hope I have in him.    

• 3 years later...

The angel of the Lord, a theophany, first appeared not to the father of Faith, Abraham, but to a slave girl, from Egypt, who was running away from the family of faith. Hagar’s response was that this Angel is God Himself and as evidence of how this has impacted her, we see Hagar returning and submitting to her authority in Abraham’s household. Hagar was aware of God’s presence and His care over her life, in spite of being an Egyptian slave girl. So even if she had to endure harsh treatment from her mistress, she knew God would preserve her and see her through and His promises will come to fulfillment.

To a person who is losing hope, this becomes an anchor of hope and a silver lining amongst bleak clouds.

The understanding that God sees me and has not forgotten me, gives great hope and encouragement to hold on to Him however difficult the situations around me may be.

• 6 months later...

Hagar's name for God means that there is only one God who sees us. Not only that but the Lord personally knows us enough to calls us by name and knows us by that name and understand our situation. The name means that He is working behind the scenes to lead us by the hand and also work all things for good. For me, it means that God is my rock and fortress and I can trust in Him fully during my darkest hours.

• 1 year later...

(16:13-14) What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees?

The realization that, no matter where or what, God sees, means that we truly are never alone. He cannot see if He is not with us. This was very significant for Hagar to come to that realization also. She could pick up courage and go back to Sarai, knowing that God SEES. 

What does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope? What does it mean to you personally? 

I guess these two questions can be answered together, as I too was just that, viz., a person without hope. 

It meant I could get up and go on, knowing that I was not alone. The future too was in His Hand, for there too He would see, therefore He would be present. 

NEVER ALONE 

• 1 year later...

What is the significance of Hagar's name for God -- El Roi, the God Who Sees? What does it mean to a person who is discouraged and losing hope? What does it mean to you personally?

Is it the case that "to see" means "to understand," as if eyes are equivalent to the mind? I really don't know if this is a contemporary and NT use of the word, or if seeing only refers to the physical sight of God.

God saw her ... he understood her = God saw her ... he was watching her: one or both of these interpretations is what Hagar signified with the name, El Roi.

I don't find much comfort knowing God is watching over me but like knowing that he understands me. As the duties of life drone on without hope, and the outlook is rationally discouraging, I hope that a God who understands will not only watch but do something about my circumstances. 

The myth about the all-seeing eye of God -- isn't it symbolized on US dollar bills? -- seems to have been around for centuries, if not millennia. Egyptians believed that God could see everything at once -- this was a common Egyptian myth.  There are many examples of "the eye of Ra" in Egyptian art, decorative arts and calligraphic writing. Pastor Ralph suggested that Hagar was on her way home to Egypt when an angel sent by God intercepted her travels. If she was Egyptian, she would probably have been familiar with the common symbol of God's all-knowing, all-seeing eye. Thus, it makes sense Hagar named her vision of God/angels in the desert, El-Roi.

• 2 months later...

Because God sees Hagar and her situation and cares about her and her baby. 

For a person who is losing hope or discouraged they can look at the situation with Hagar and see how God cared about Hagar. A person can remember that God sees them in their struggle and cares.  

What it means for me personally is that God loves and cares about me in any situation that I am going through and I am never alone. God is my deliverer and he will deliver me as always.