JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Doing What Is Just and Right

It is as said, to be in the world but not of the world. Today we are bombarded by many useless distractions like TV, radio, etc...(with them also come along sinful temptations) which makes it difficult to keep the way of the LORD. These media in turn, can be used for God's purposes like in Bible study like this. The challenge here, just like in generations past, is to have a daily communion with God, and not fall from this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The twenty-first century lifestyle in the Lord would consist of representing Jesus and doing what He would do. Modesty, caring, loving, and putting others before oneself would only name a few of the requirements. It is difficult, however, in that we may be able to do the right thing in certain areas and then fail to do so in other areas. Jesus was and is perfect in everything. We on the other hand, are working towards perfection - not yet achieved.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (18:19) In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century. In what ways is this difficult? In what ways is this easy? What are the special challenges?

Keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just in this age can make you look like a fanatic if you speak up, which at times is required if you are going to do what is right and just. We do what is right and just and keep the way of the Lord by obeying the word, whether it is politically correct or not. This is especially difficult with some Christian denominations putting the stamp of approval on behavior God clearly calls sin. It is especially difficult when people you love are espousing the views that oppose the word and insist they are in keeping with what God "really meant".

It is easier when you are in daily communion with your Lord and in frequent fellowship with other believers.

The aggressive and verbal behavior of the ones who are opposed to Christianity creates an extra challenge. The media accept and present their postion as what is correct, so you definately feel like you are "swimming upstream"

Lesson 7 Q3

(a) Describing a lifestyle of "Keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century in my own words:

To do this in the twently-first century is to stay very close to God by studying His Word; Praying; Believing; and having Faith. In the beginning it was living by the Law but today it is God's grace that substains us because He sent His only Son Jesus Christ to die for us so we could have Eternal life (John3:16). In Micah 6:8 "He has showed you, o man, what is good, and what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." This is still for twenty-first century living.

(B) This is difficult today because many teachings are not based on Scripture but on today's Society. Therefore we need to know the Word so we will know right from wrong. If we do not, we will be like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. (James 6:6a)

© It is easy to live a lifestyle of , "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" in the twenty-first century by having Jesus come into our heart. The Word tells us "Jesus Christ is the same yetersday and today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8).

(d) The special challenges I believe is knowing what is right and what is wrong by knowing the Lord's answer when we ask. In today's Society everything seems to be right living. For ex: homosexuals. If you do not agree, you are told you are discriminating against those people. Churches today are stating it is okay to be a homosexual because Society says so. What about Scriputre? We have to Love those people and hate the sin, the same goes for any other practice of living. 1Corinthians 6:9-11, give us an ugly list of sins in which we can find ourselves. We all have sinned but we must not continue in these practices. We can all have our lives changed by Christ. Amen!

• 7 months later...

The same as it always whas been God never changes people do. By walking the path, following his commandments, that is what raises our moral standards and puts on us the nature and character of God.

It seems more difficult because the increase in the growth of people, many which have turned from the Lord and went their own way and are trying to influence the Godly Christians to compromise. God has always had only right and wrong nothing in between and there can not be righteouness if we are breaking even one of his commandments.

As the end of time grows near Satan has found more vessels to do his work by letting the demons of greed, envy, ****, perversion and all forms of evil to go even into the churches to try and seduce the very elect if possible.

We can never give up our guard but it is and will be until the return of Christ a battle, right against wrong, spiritual against flesh.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, we may whine and complain a great deal about our chosen path, but I haven't been thrown in a den of hungry lions recently! :P Sure, it is difficult to fight injustice and stand up for what is right and true. People have been known to have lost their livelihoods by doing so. From what I'm seeing in the news, it seems that our road will not be any smoother any time soon. When it becomes increasingly clear that all signs and semblances of Christianity must be erased from public view to keep from offending a non-believer, :huh: I'd say satan is working overtime. Clearly, we must follow the teachings of our Lord and Savior. We must pray, read God's Holy Word, and listen closely to the Holy Spirit. I think the hard part is that we must set ourselves apart from worldly things, yet live in that same world to witness of God's grace. In Ephesians 6, Paul gave us the formula: Put on the full armor of God. I have a need to pull out that scripture and read it quite often.

• 9 months later...

Q3. (18:19) In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century. In what ways is this difficult? In what ways is this easy? What are the special challenges?

The temptations of t he world aare so subtle that one could be so easily persuaded to be part of. If it feels good then it must be alright. Television plays such an in sidious influence in our thought process and actions that we become enslaved be for me know it. But if we are led by theSpirit and walk not in the flesh and keep our eyes focused on the Lord continually we will not fall into the trap of what the world offers.

Well, we may whine and complain a great deal about our chosen path, but I haven't been thrown in a den of hungry lions recently! :P Sure, it is difficult to fight injustice and stand up for what is right and true. People have been known to have lost their livelihoods by doing so. From what I'm seeing in the news, it seems that our road will not be any smoother any time soon. When it becomes increasingly clear that all signs and semblances of Christianity must be erased from public view to keep from offending a non-believer, :huh: I'd say satan is working overtime. Clearly, we must follow the teachings of our Lord and Savior. We must pray, read God's Holy Word, and listen closely to the Holy Spirit. I think the hard part is that we must set ourselves apart from worldly things, yet live in that same world to witness of God's grace. In Ephesians 6, Paul gave us the formula: Put on the full armor of God. I have a need to pull out that scripture and read it quite often.

The temptations of t he world aare so subtle that one could be so easily persuaded to be part of. If it feels good then it must be alright. Television plays such an in sidious influence in our thought process and actions that we become enslaved be for me know it. But if we are led by theSpirit and walk not in the flesh and keep our eyes focused on the Lord continually we will not fall into the trap of what the world offers.

We are to be a light in a dark world. We are to be in the world but not do the things as the world does.

People should be able to tell we are Christians by our actions at all times.

Being around strong mature Godly brothers and sisters has been a great influence on myself.

My greatest challenge is in my workplace with my boss who knows I am a Christian, sometimes his actions towards me are pretty ugly, but I know who I am in Christ and that is what counts.

• 3 months later...

I don't believe that doing what is right and just today is any different than in Abraham's time. After all, God is the same so His expectation of us would be the same. I also feel that everything is proportionate to the situation. Flesh is flesh and will always be tempted to what is available to it. We can make excuses for ourselves as to all the pleasures set before us today due to technology but the bottom line is what we choose to see and do. Adonai will not put anything on us that we cannot handle, without making a way for an escape. Shlomo (Solomon) wrote: "That thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done; and there is no new thing under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9

• 3 months later...

Q3. (18:19) In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century. In what ways is this difficult? In what ways is this easy? What are the special challenges?[/color] :huh:

As Christians, we need to strive to lead a Godly life in which we show the love of Christ by how we treat His children in this world. Our action towards ALL people should be loving, caring and helping in any way we can. There are concerns of justice, poverty and abuse. We may have difficulty doing this at times as those who do not know Jesus may not be aware of the value of every human life and thus challenges may arise. However, we must remember that God will be our strength as we meet any challenge that may arise.

:P

• 4 months later...

Q3. (18:19) In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of Keeping the way of the Lord consists "doing what is right and just." looks like in the twenty-first century. In what ways is this difficult?

In the twenty-first century, Keeping the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just," involves living uprightly, being a person of integrity and being led by the Spirit of God so that God's will would be done.

In what ways is this easy?

This becomes easy as we intentionally set ourselves to constant communion with God.

What are the special challenges?

The special challenges are being sidetracked by the burden of life and the distractors that can pull us out of daily communion with God and cause us to risk not hearing his voice leading us in the right path.

• 3 weeks later...

It starts with Jesus. Jesus has to be first in your heart and life. You have to make a decision about who you are going to serve. As it says in Joshua, "as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord".

It's difficult when your faith gets weak. When you start listening to the devil's lies instead of God's still small voice.

It isn't difficult to live for the Lord. It was difficult living without him. I'm blessed with my family and church family. I enjoy studying the bible, going to church, and helping others. I just want to live my life in a way that will bring others to the Lord.

• 5 months later...

I think Micah spells it out clearly for all generations. Act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8.

As Christians we act justly in all situations and treat all people with dignity - love your neighbor as yourself. As Christians we show mercy to all people as God has shown mercy to us in Christ Jesus. As Christians we honor God and submit our will to Him. We walk humbly with Him and allow Him to lead us in the area of missions He has purposed us in spreading the Kingdom of God.

The difficulty depends upon the extend to which we permit the things of this world distract us. I'm not sure it is easy because the world is not user friendly for the Christian. I think it is a constant challenge. It becomes easier as we permit the Holy Spirit to operate in our life. The special challenges are existing on this planet with the things of this world constantly competing for our attention and focus.

• 3 months later...

Keeping the way of the Lord in the twenty-first century is having to live in this world, but not being part of it. Doing right and just is showing God's love to all sinner's even your worst enemy, telling them you love them and do right by them. Treat them as you would want to be treated. This is difficult because there are so many tricks and attacks the devil uses. It is easy when we are praying on a regular basis, everyday, seeking God for guidance, and walking in the love of the Lord. There are challenges when people don't want to hear about God or find fault about the way you live, the things you do or do not do because you are living for God, especially when they can't see where your joy comes from , they think it has to be a worldly answer.

In whatever we do we should ask ourselves, Is God getting glory in our life?

The bible which, is the Word of Gods has all the basic knowlegde that human being can life by if we Obey, and do what it says.

• 2 months later...

To keep the way of the Lord today requires that we remember that we are not of this world, but are just travelling through. There are so many temptations in this world that will trip up the child of God if we are not careful. We must keep ourselves separated from this world by staying in God's Word and focusing on the things of God. Yes we have to work in this world and come in contact with those who live "like the devil". Oftentimes we are ridiculed by our beliefs, our standards, and our prudish manners. Yet when we fail to "stand on God's Word" and "put on the whole armour of God", we are more apt to compromise with this flesh of ours, and be tripped up.

Everyday we must first start off with prayer, asking the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us in all our ways, and to put on the whole armour of God. We must remember that we are in the last days, and the adversary is out to "steal, kill, and destroy" those who let down their guards. Stay close to God in prayer, fellowship, and reading of His Word. Abstain from every appearance of evil, and seek out God for His direction in all our ways.

• 11 months later...

In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century. In what ways is this difficult? In what ways is this easy? What are the special challenges?

I keep coming back to the two great commandments " You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind" and "You shall love your neighbour as yourself". The lifestyle required of me by God comes back to these two commandments. First and above all else, I must put God first in my life at all times. No questions, absolute number one priority. This means of course that I pray to Him regularly, that I study the bible regularly, that I offer up my praise, worship and thanksgiving to Him for what He has done and is doing in my life both in my personal devotions and at church. It also means that I should be a continual witness for Him at all times and in all places, both in the way I live my life (an indirect witness) and by what I say to people when given an opportunity to be a witness for Him (direct witness). This part crosses over also into the second commandment, in that of course, if I love my neighbour as myself, I should want to ensure that they experience the same relationship as I have with God through Jesus. So, the second commandment is to love my neighbour as I love myself. The word here is neighbour, not brother and sister, so it is not restricted just to fellow Christians, it is everyone, even those who hate me. So what does this mean? It doesn't mean being a doormat for everyone (Jesus was never a doormat). It means being firm in my beliefs and standing up for what I believe in, but, in the famous words of 1 Corinthians 13 being at the same time, patient, kind, not envious, boastful, arrogant or rude, not insisting on my own way, not being irritable or resentful, not rejoicing in wrongdoing, but rather rejoicing in the truth. This is the definition of love, and love is what I am commanded to show to my neighbour. If I do all of this and seek to make Christ more and myself less, then I think that that lifestyle would be "keeping the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just".

For me, the easy bit is putting God first in my personal life. When I am with Him (praying, studying the bible, at Church or just aware of His presence with me in my general life) I am at peace and supremely happy and when I am not, I am not! The more difficult bit for me personally comes in my witness to those around me. Since I turned back to Jesus, my life has changed completely and that much is obvious to all who know me, but I find it difficult to share the joy which I have found in clear terms with those close to me. They seem embarrassed to talk about it, and consequently I get embarrassed too. Obviously, the main witness which I can give at the moment is in the way I live my life now and I am focussing on that and it has changed. However, I do want to be a direct witness for God and His power. I want to share what I have found with those around me and to bring more people to Him so that they can experience what I have experienced. Maybe my confidence to do this will build as I get more experience and as the people around me see more of the way I am living my life. I pray daily though that God will give me the courage to speak out and be a more open witness for Him in a World which is at best sceptical and at worst antagonistic towards God. That for me is the challenge at the moment, although I expect that will change and new challenges will come along. I know though that God will always be with me whatever challenges come along.

• 2 weeks later...

To walk in keeping the way of the LORD in this twenty-first century, is keeping our eyes on the LORD. To walk a straight and narrow well worn path.

It is difficult sometimes because there are obsticals that get in our path, but always knowing that God is with us makes it easier to overcome these stumbleing blocks.

The special challenges are to remember that we are overcomers. We sometimes get bogged down with trials and we forget that we are children of the King and nothing is implossible with God.

• 2 weeks later...

Many things are constantly calling for our attention and many temptations in various forms. Old habits cry out to gain a strong hold back into ones life. But thanks be to our Great and Caring God who keeps us in our hour of temptaion.

My life in the Lord at present has an ever increasing public ministry aspect, which I must confess I love doing but the pleasure in todays society brings with it pain and a large dose of reality.

But my saviour is with me each and every day blessing me in many many ways.

I would not trade my graceful redeemed position in Jesus Christ for all the world.

I will sing of my Redeemer

He who bore my cross, my curse

Came a servant, chose to suffer

Lifted up and cast from earth

I will sing of my Redeemer

Tell about the grace I

• 2 months later...

By being led by the Holy Spirit, considering all situations, will this draw me closer to God or does it drive me further away from God and his purpose.

It is difficult when we start relying on our own understanding, and we are not being led by the Lord.

Because we are under the blood of Jesus Christ, we have and advocate who goes before us and pleads our case. We can humbly repent and Jesus forgives our shortfall/sins etc. Remember to look to God before taking action, in word or deed.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (18:19)

In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century.

In what ways is this difficult? In what ways is this easy? What are the special challenges?

In answering this question I am reminded of what Jesus said in Matt 7:13-14, "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life and only a few find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping a righteous lifestyle will remain the same forever; seeking out God's wisdom. God made it easy for us by giving us His Holy Word. In the 21st century, it is deemed by some to be irrational to have such belief systems. Jesus told us to pray for these people and all the lost. We must not forget that God is love. As His hands and feet, we must be witness to the truth.

• 1 month later...

In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century.

Keeping the way of the Lord is still living in an honest and Godly manner. We may be in the 21st centuries but we have a standard as beleivers to be kind, decent, honest and to exhibit Christ-like manners.

In what ways is this difficult? In what ways is this easy?

I think this is always that battle of our human nature, the sin nature that lies inside each of us.....this is a conscious decision that we must make. We can choose to have people admire us or whatever because of our wealth or power, but in reality it is the walk with Christ that makes this easier....

What are the special challenges?

We livie in a world where people want to be successful and may fall to temptations of dishonesty or greed, but this leads to destruction. The same applies during present days as well as Old Testament.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (18:19) In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century.

It looks as if the person is looked up to as an example of what Christians are like and how one may carry himself.

In what ways is this difficult?

It's difficult if we are not leaning and trusting in God.

In what ways is this easy? What are the special challenges?

It is easy when we trust God. Special challenges may be trying to fit in with the incrowd. Sometimes it is hard to stand alone, but through a relationship with Christ, we can become better and stronger people who are more than conquerers!