JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Doublemindedness

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

I think there are two different kinds of trials: one is the trial that arises from our sin, possibly the natural "consequences." Two is the trial that arises from "life," from no sin that we have committed.

The trial that arises from our sin, the wrestling of spirits within us, the painful conviction we feel in us, makes our hearts raw and, if we come to a place of humility, we turn to the Lord and He shows us our sin. It is then we can confess this sin, pray for the Holy Spirit to cleanse us from this sin, bring down the stronghold, and cure us of our double-mindedness. When we see the fruit of this labor in the Spirit, our faith will become stronger in that we will see that Jesus is faithful to answer our prayer and to help us overcome our sin.

But our faith can also be grown through the trial that comes in everyday living, not necessarily from our sin. Sometimes things come into our lives that the Lord can use to build our faith in Him. For example, if we become ill or laid off from our jobs, we can rest in Him and know that though our bodies fail us or we struggle financially, He is our hiding place; we can cry on His shoulder and beg His help in persevering through this trial. He is our Comfort and our Shelter in the walk through the "valley of the shadow of death," and will put a peace our hearts that passes all understanding despite the trial.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are two different kinds of trials: one is the trial that arises from our sin, possibly the natural "consequences." Two is the trial that arises from "life," from no sin that we have committed.

The trial that arises from our sin, the wrestling of spirits within us, the painful conviction we feel in us, makes our hearts raw and, if we come to a place of humility, we turn to the Lord and He shows us our sin. It is then we can confess this sin, pray for the Holy Spirit to cleanse us from this sin, bring down the stronghold, and cure us of our double-mindedness. When we see the fruit of this labor in the Spirit, our faith will become stronger in that we will see that Jesus is faithful to answer our prayer and to help us overcome our sin.

But our faith can also be grown through the trial that comes in everyday living, not necessarily from our sin. Sometimes things come into our lives that the Lord can use to build our faith in Him. For example, if we become ill or laid off from our jobs, we can rest in Him and know that though our bodies fail us or we struggle financially, He is our hiding place; we can cry on His shoulder and beg His help in persevering through this trial. He is our Comfort and our Shelter in the walk through the "valley of the shadow of death," and will put a peace our hearts that passes all understanding despite the trial.

Hi HisSong:

Most of my trails are dealing with fear and rejection. I have more strength now because of the Grace of God in my life. Some have to do with the type of life I led before becoming a servant of my Lord, but most has to do with the abuse I grew up with which makes it hard for me at times to become friends with people, and it's not because of them, but because of my fear of rejection. Thank you for your kind words and I agree when you say He is our hiding place, he is our comfort & shelter in the walk through "the valley of the shadow of death" and when I put that in the times of fear and rejection He is my Strength and my Tears.

• 4 weeks later...

Trials stabilize the faithful by causing us to confront with and repent of the sin that we harbor. As we grow in the Lord we find that we are not as perfect as we would like think we are so, the trials come. Ours trials are manifested by the Holy Spirit as He convicts us of our weak areas giving us the opportunity to deal with them. Once dealt with and overcome we get the victory and our faith grows by leaps and bounds.

• 3 months later...

Trials help cure us of ''doublemindedness'' and grow in faith because when ''push comes to shove'', we must put all our trust in God, pray for wisdom if we lack it and believe, because if we doubt we will be according to James ''Like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind, thus unable to receive anything from the Lord; being doubleminded and unstable in all we do''. We must face our sins, if we are double-minded we are doubting and hesitating. Therefore we must become single-minded and our love for God must win through. So we should view our trials with joy, although it my sound illogical, but that joy is the joy of knowing that this trial is good for us and that God is using it to develop something in us that we could never have accomplished without facing some kind of tight spot or resistance. It's ultimately the joy of knowing that God is in control, actively working with us to increase our faith.

• 3 weeks later...

trail test our faith in God and therefore, strengthen it. when we preservere we grow stronger, we are also promised to recieve the crown of life for eduring our trials and temptations. We can stand on this in faith because God is not a man that he should lie. When we become stronger we eliminate doubt wich is the thing that causes us to "waver" or "be doubleminded".

• 4 weeks later...

I ask everyday for HIS help in laying me down and raising HIM up. I only wish for Jesus to be seen in me. If there is any good in me it is HIM alone. I have proved many time over that I can't do anything good without him. HE has blessed me to the point that I can only cry with love and thankfulness because I do not deserve any of it on my own

• 2 weeks later...
Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?
We encounter trials and temptations every day of our life. But one needs to take an inventory daily when there is known sin in our lives. One can see then where we have fallen short of the glory of God. We recognie the neeed for change or endure the consequen ces and our faith becomes less doubting a nd our free will can be misused. we miss all the goodness of Good's promises and blessingsFrom this our faith grows from unbelief to belief and we become more steadfast in our faith.

• 3 weeks later...
The promptibg of the Spirit in our hearts leads us to question our motive in making our decisions. We begin to r ealize that we need to ask for a spirit of diiscernment in any decision we make. Trials also how deptndent wwe neeed to lean on the Lord w hen trials come.We can be assured that God will be with us through those trials.

I think this happens as we allow God to lead us through trial after trial. We go from wishing, hoping and thinking He would help us get through each test to knowing He will help us.

We learn to trust in Him as our faith grows and our faith grows as we learn He is faithful and just. :)

As our faith becomes stronger be become less shakable! :D

• 1 month later...

1.)When we pray and read/study God's word daily and keep a close relationship with God, then there we be less double-mindedness. We must trust God in our trails and learn from our mistakes. We just have to grab on to God with all that is within us and hold on to HIS word in our hearts. I was taught "Pray and doubt, you do without. Pray and believe, you will receive. So when we pray, we need to believe that God will answer our prayers (his timing). We must believe God's Word..all of it. It is the truth.

2.) Trials are given to us so that we grow stronger in our Christian Walk. Sometimes we think we cannot take anymore, but God always comes through. He is our rock.

• 4 weeks later...

The world is very demanding. We become so involved in things that seem important but take away from our focus in life. We all have circumstances as a result of poor decisions, natural phenomena, etc. Nothing can be done about past mistakes, yet they continue to haunt us due to the conclusions and consequences of those mistakes. As we begin to focus on our mistakes and circumstances, we become much less effective for the Kingdom. Trials force us to refocus on that which is good. We turn to God our Savior and He saves us from our trials. Trials help to force us out of our circumstances which defray us from our work for the Kingdom.

When things are going really well, we tend to quit depending as heavily on our Savior. We actually begin to focus on that which is not important. Being less focused, we become more vulnerable to mistakes. Trials keep us focused

Clearly I need trials in my life because often I am not cognizant of the sin(s). It is so easy to get stuck in a rut and keep going along without any change like a ball that is without friction (or any force) would continue to roll forever. The trials are that force I need to stop me, make me aware, repent, and roll on. The sins I'm aware of I repent of. However I liken it to lighting up a cigarette in a butane factory because I don't know the inherent flammability of butane. I'm unaware of it but it doesn't make it any less dangerous for me. So I need someone to get my attention before I blow myself up! God gives me that attention (to think of that alone is incomprehensible- that God Almighty would love me enough to intervene) and leads me to safety. The trials definitely catches my attention and never once has God abandon me during my trial or given me the resources to make it through. And always it has been the best experience for me to undergo. Amen, praise the Lord!

• 4 weeks later...

Trials cure us of doublemindedness by bring us to that place of realizing we are helpless over our sins(that war within)and that we need Father God, through his son Jesus so that we come to the place of repentance and can see the hold of those sins broken and see his victory be glorified.

Trials help us grown in faith by helping us make "new commitments" and "new directions" new life in him:)

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"?

Trials forces us to press forward or give up. Trials forces us to ultimately make a choice one way or the other. Either we believe and receive the answer from God or we have doubt and forfeit the blessing. Taking note of our situations, if it's a trial; we should pray and get God's direction for our lives and follow the path He is leading.

How do trials help us grow in faith?

When we have trials and we place our faith and trust in God we become accustomed to allowing God to handle our problems and we find that those things that once caused a bother will not any more. As our faith grows so do we mature spiritually.

• 4 weeks later...

Trials do help me to grow Spiritually. I somehow equate trials or difficulties as discipline. Perhaps not as outright punishment, but simply as a gentle reminder that there is always a price to pay for sin. I am a recovering addict. Like many others in my situation, I did not gain lasting sobriety after my first attempt. I struggled with this for years. I seem to remember that I would be doing real well, then, out of nowhere, I would have a "slip". This happened many times and I began to notice something. Everytime I would mess up and use drugs, something bad always happened. I would get high, then a day or two later, the transmission would go out in my truck. I would get high again, then a couple days laterI would make a huge mistake at work. I would commit another sin and sure enough, a day or two later, I would come down with the flu. I am not sure if God punishes me or if He merely allows things to happen. Either way, in my mind, I believed that sin equates to hardship. I feel that might be the only way God could actually get my attention. So by experiencing trials and hardships, then considering them to be the direct result of sin in my life, I am able to grow in numerous ways including faith.

I love this question...I have been through so many trials...The first few...I depended on helping the Lord..but after awhile and other trials came...trials that no one but God could handle...and I began to see miracles in my life that only God brought in the situation...I began to put complete trust and faith in God and not in myself or man...It is prayer that brought the trust and faith into my life to learn to wait on the Lord knowing He will answer and bring me through the trials that I do not face alone..for God is always with me...

• 2 weeks later...

The trials in my life have forced me to turn to God for help, guidance, understanding and to face sin in my life. Trials have helped my spiritual growth because they forced me into God's Word and prayer. Ultimately in correcting issues in my life that God wanted corrected i.e., selfishness; apathy toward God and the Bible; complacency in honoring promises that I made to God, and many more.

Most importantly, spiritual growth by trials have lead to stability in all areas of my life. In addition, trials have to lead to a consistent relationship with God in my daily living and decision making.

For me trials have taught me to rely on God - to focus on Him. When we hand it all over to God and follow His leading, then we are cured of doublemindedness. But it's so easy to fall back on our old ways of handling our problems. Trials help us grow in faith by increasing our reliance on God. When we see the totally awesome things He does for us how can our faith not grow? When He pulls us out of the muck and mire, how can we not praise and thank Him?

thank you for your response

• 3 weeks later...

We have to stop sitting on the fence when trials come, we either have to choose God or choose sin. God does not want one that is lukewarm. God brings us through a trial, we learn to trust Him more, then our faith grows more. Faith comes to us when we take that leap to trust and believe in God and His Word.

• 2 months later...

:) TRIALS IN OUR LIVES SHOULD CAUSE US TO NOT BE DOUBLE MINDED, :ph34r: SHOULD LEAD US TO BE STEADFAST, READ THE BIBLE MORE, STUDY MORE, LEARN THE WORD AND KEEP THE WORD IN YOUR HEART & MIND. WE SHOULD LEARN BY TRIALS TO HAVE FAITH IN GOD TO GIVE US THE WISDOM & DISCERNMENT NEEDED TO DEAL WITH THE SITUATION. :):D

The saying = "get out of the boat" - comes to mind. I am reminded to stand firm and not be double-minded. Either I believe - or I don't; there is no room for grey here.

I am not a fence sitter. I have sold out for God. I cling to His promises:

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world. (1 John 4:4)

I will never fail you nor forsake you. (Heb. 13:5)

I consider our present sufferings insignificant compared to the glory that will soon be revealed to us. (Romans 8:18)

How can one read the promises of God, and then doubt Him? I may have trouble in my life here on earth, yet when I cry out - it is not to condemn my God but to call on His love to be poured out on me.

Blessings

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "double mindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.

Trials to me are like a sharp edge of a knife, through them either you cut another or you are being cut. God wants us to die daily(painful to us) not to kill others with our actions or words (painful to them). When the going gets tough we are sort of forced into choosing....'do we choose Gods way of 'love one another',(selflessness) or do we go our own way and defend self (selfishness)? Of course there are many forms that these two choices can manifest themselves in, but when in a corner, we can no longer be double-minded. It's one way or the other.

Trials on the other hand can help us grow in faith as we choose to do things Gods way. For example, in my own life, just recently, I decided that I would not try to wriggle out of a situation that clearly I needed to own up to. I stood firm with the Lord (by His grace of course and through keeping my mind focused on Him and on good things(Philippians) ) Then, to my delight he opened my eyes to the whole situation and how to address it with wisdom, and it will teach lessons and edify/chasten all parties involved. My faith has grown in great degrees in this area, and all because of my choice(God's Grace) to go His way.

Before, I never really believed that good would come out of standing naked so to speak before God with my faults laid open, not trying to deny that I was guilty. I somehow thought that God would abandon me in the midst and I would end up ashamed, stupid and silly. This time I decided that no matter the cost, I would just stand that way before him, and the results are, He has covered my nakedness and made me to not be ashamed, while still dealing with the situation. He has provided a way of escape for me that I never thought he would, and I am so Grateful for this!!!

So I have learned that no matter the cost, do it God's way He will direct your path. They that wait on the Lord will renew their strength. God gives wisdom to those that ask. Let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me. His word is true through and through!!!!!