JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q18. Tongue-Taming

The tongue is untameable as the evil proceeds from an evil heart.

The heart needs to be surrendered to Jesus as only His love can

transform an evil heart.

As in CHRIST-IAN, remove Christ in my life and I Am Nothing.

Nothing good dwells in me which has an evil heart (Sin nature).

Only by God's grace through faith can our heart be transformed.

(Romans 12 v 2).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people Jesus was talking to in Matthew 12:34 and 15:18 were unsaved, spoiled, and self righteousness. The didn't practice self control nor did they try to control their tongue because they felt they were above all the rest and after all, they were of the seed of Abraham.

I've been with some really nice people that were not saved. You would never hear them say a bad thing of someone else. They truley believed treating others as you would like to be treated was the only right thing to do. There was no cursing or gossiping. People would say, "if anyone is going to heaven is this person."

Whenever they were asked if they ever repented and received Jesus Christ as their Saviour, they would let you know they did not have to repent nor do this Jesus thing. They were just as good as he was. WELL, THERE WENT THE TONGUE....IT WENT WILD AND BEGAN TO LIE AND BLASPHEME THE LORD!

In order for the tongue to be tamed: First you need Christ Jesus to come into your heart and forgive you of all your sin. Second, allow the Holy Spirit to work a righteous work in your life. With the help of the Holy Spirit, you begin to practice taming the tongue. James in 1:19 says, "Wherefore, my beloved bethren, let every man be swift to hear, SLOW TO SPEAK, slow to wrath."

After Salvation, my filthy language changed. Whenever something did come from the mouth that was unclean, mean, or not decent, I would ask God to forgive me and would let others that wasn't the way a Christian talked. I was so bad. I'm so ashamed of my past...

Read Matthew 12:34 and 15:18. In light of these verses, why is the tongue untamable? What has to happen before it can be tamed?

The tongue speaks what the heart dictates. If the heart is evil, the tongue cannot be tamed. It will only be unclean. Regeneration, which can only come by the grace of God through Christ Jesus, is the only way the tongue can begin to be tamed.

Read Matthew 12:34 and 15:18. In light of these verses, why is the tongue untamable? What has to happen before it can be tamed?

What ever is in our heart will come out. We need to keep in the word and renew our minds. That will help us to tame our tungue

Q2. (3:7-8) Read Matthew 12:34 and 15:18. In light of these

verses, why is the tongue untamable? What has to happen before it

can be tamed?

It is what is in a mans heart what he has put there that will always come out of the mouth. We may think we are being careful what we read and what we let others teach us but we need always to make sure we don't listen to gossip or anything that is not in line with the word of God. Even the things we hear go into our hearts and then we will be speaking them if we let them stay there.

We must bridal the tongue in order to get it under any kind of control and we have to do this with the word of God. It is like with any animal or ship it is a small thing hard to stop from speaking the things we have let enter our minds but it can be done with the word of God and lots of prayer. Still it is evil and hard to tame and we know none are perfect no not one and we need to work hard at this. Without salvation there is no way to try to tame the tongue we need the help of the Lord and the Holy Ghost.

The tongue is ruled by what is in the heart and mind. We have to know the love of Christ and accept it. By careful thought, deep concern of what we are to say, knowing the love of God we can help to tame the tongue. I guess it is better to think it, then to say it. Once uttered, it can't be taken back Hopw often have we wished we had not said something.

The tongue is hard to control because we speak with our mouths that which is within our hearts. Jesus said that it wasn't what we put into our stomachs thru our mouths which would defile or corrupt us,but rather what came out of the mouth thru the heart.

The tongue is untamable because it is a restless evil,full of deadly poison.

Only by accepting Christ as Savior and submitting our lives to Him,can our tongues be brought until control.

Tongue is untamable because what comes out of the mouth is from the heart and from thoughts. In order to be tamed our hearts and mind must be clean of wickedness and vial thoughts and feelings.

• 2 weeks later...

The tongue reflects what our heart really is. The sinful nature of man comes out despite best attempts to control it. Unless Gods changes our heart from the inside our tongue will not change.

Small words can make big changes. Even taalk that may not seem wrong may make big changes that are un intended in Gods plan. So unless we walk with God, our tongue may actually be doing evil

• 1 month later...

The tongue is the wildest, most difficult beast to tame. It defies every self-determined attempt to control it. Man cannot tame it. Only God can. And He can do it only as we yield our tongues, and the deep recesses of the mind to His control. Out of the heart proceeds all the vile selfishness of mankind. Our hearts need a dramatic change at the very inner recesses. It will not take place all at once. It takes a lifetime as you yield your heart to the Holy Spirit moment by moment, one day at a time. Only as the heart is conformed to the image and likeness of Jesus Christ can we be His kind of people. Lord, here is my tongue. Cleanse it, tame it and use it for Your glory alone.

May God give us the sustaining grace and power to be a consistent model of God-controlled men and women.

• 2 months later...

THE BOOK OF PROVERBS SAYS AS A MAN THINKETH IN HIS HEART, SO IS HE OR SO HE WILL BECOME.OUR THOUGHT LIFE NOT ONLY SHAPES OUR LIVES BUT ALSO OUR WORDS FOR OUT OF THE HEART THE MOUTH SPEAKS. IF I'M THINKING NEGATIVELY I END UP SPEAKING NEGATIVE THINGS.IF I THINK POSITIVELY OF MYSELF AND OTHERS I SPEAK POSITIVE THINGS.IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THIS TONGUE CAN ONLY BE TAMED TO SAY THE RIGHT THINGS IF THE HEART IS PURE AND CLEAN.AND THAT IS WHERE THE HOLY SPIRIT COMES IN. HE IS OUR HELPER; ONE CALLED ALONGSIDE US TO HELP BRIDLE THE TONGUE.FOR IN MY OWN SELF DWELLS NOTHING GOOD BUT MANY TIMES I'VE HAD TO ASK THE LORD TO PUT A GUARD ON ON MY MOUTH SO THAT I'LL SAY THINGS THAT ENCOURAGE AND BUILD OTHERS INSTEAD OF TEARING THEM DOWN AND HE HAS ALWAYSDONE SO AND I GIVE HIM THE GLORY.

• 1 month later...

Without a change of heart the tongue cannot be tamed. Before this change of heart, the tongue is untamable. Proverbs 27:19 says "as water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man" (NIV).

• 3 weeks later...

Not only is it an issue of having unclean lips but also unclean hearts. The passages states that "their hearts were far from God". If we don't have our "hearts in the right place" then our lips will speak wrongly. What we let contaminate our being speaks out of our mouths. We must give our whole selves over to God in order for the mouth to speak of what is good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Read Matthew 12:34 and 15:18. In light of these verses, why is the tongue untamable?

{Matthew 12:34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

Matthew 15:18 But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, & these make a man unclean.}

If someone is not walking with God, then his heart will not have been renewed & he will be "self" orientated as opposed to "God" orientated in all he does & says. He will not have the Holy Spirit dwelling within him to correct & direct his thoughts & ways & in so his mouth will bring forth things that are not of God. :)

What has to happen before it can be tamed?

Before it can be tamed we need to give our life to Christ & he will create in us a clean heart. Out of this heart will come Godly confessions & as the Holy Spirit witnesses to us, Godly talk in all we say. This takes practice & I'm sure we all muff up as we are far from perfect, but with the Holy Spirit as a witness to us we are able to be kept on track or guided back on track if we are attentive to his leading. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The Lord alone knows our heart and He sees iniquity where we cannot therefore, we always have garbage coming out of our mouth, even when we try our best to say the right things. The cure? Change what is inside which can only be done by the Holy Spirit, fed with the Word of truth and it's application and, patience. It is a lifetime worth of effort, finally to be resolved when we are perfected in heaven.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In order to tame the tongue one must have a clean heart. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. I think this is hard, however it is truth. If we fill our hearts with God's word, then His word will come out of our mouths. It is not automatic. It takes alot of work!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Q2. (3:7-8) Read Matthew 12:34 and 15:18. In light of these verses, why is the tongue untamable? What has to happen before it can be tamed?

aperson who verbaliizes from the heart often finds himself in great difficulty So as a man thinks so he is in heart. The devil has a way withe the tongue to destry relationships and reputaation a nd many personal traits. The tongue has to be uner the control of the Holy Spirit. Asking the Holy Spirit to convict eaarly in the day to remind you of being offensive in relaying anay oral or physical sin during the day or night.

• 1 month later...

The tongue is untamable if evilness and sin lurks in the heart. What comes from our mouth comes from what is in the heart. We need a clean heart, then clean and Godly words will come from our mouth

We need to repent and keep the heart clean and filled with God's word.

• 1 month later...