JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q23. Humbling Ourselves

These actions are necessary to lift us from a state of righteousness to a state of being humble serving the Lord instead of our own personal pleasure or desires.

We always want to lean to the righteous, haughty, and look at me attitude. Learning to be humble in the sight of God is much more difficult.

Humbling myself and submission to God is probably the most difficult.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These commands are not for the new believers. These are for believers who are still flirting with the world and finding it difficult to give oneself fully to God.

No its not easy. It happens in patches. These are clear instructions to dwell on - so that we dont keep falling back to similar cycles of sin. These are admonitions which we better follow as Christians - and its well worth it. To be able to be in his 'rest' and not at war with Him.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

THE ACTIONS THAT JAMES TALKS ABOUT ARE VITAL BECAUSE THAT'S HOW WE ARE SUPPOSED TO LIVE AS CHRISTIANS...BY HUMBLING OURSELVES BEFORE GOD AND SUBMITTING TO HIM DAILY.THESE ACTIONS GO AGAINST OUR NATURE IN THAT WE SOMETIMES WANT TO DO THINGS OUR OWN WAY OR FOLLOW SOMEONE ELSE'S WAY INSTEAD OF DOING IT GOD'S WAY.WE CAN ALL BE PRIDEFUL AT TIMES IN THINKING OUR WISDOM IS JUST AS GOOD AS GOD'S OR EVEN BETTER IN DEALING WITH ADVERSITIES.BUT THE CHRIST CENTERED LIFE IS WHAT GOD IS CALLING US TO AND THAT TAKES A LOT OF HUMILITY AND DYING TO SELF.

THE MOST DIFFICULT FOR ME IS SUBMITTING TO GOD. I USUALLY DO SUBMIT TO GOD AFTER I'VE TRIED THINGS MY WAY AND IT FAILED OR AFTER I'VE EXHAUSTED ALL OTHER OPTIONS. PATHETIC, ISN'T IT? I'VE LEARNT THE HARD WAY MANY TIMES DUE TO IGNORANCE OR REBELLION BUT I'M SO THANKFUL FOR HIS MERCY AND PATIENCE WITH ME....GOD BLESS...

• 1 month later...

They are signs of true repentance. They go against our human nature which wants to always be our own master, and not to submit to God. It is hard to resist some of the more subtle approaches of the Devil, especially as I am/was quite a feelings led person. I have had to try and re-train my mind to see that whatever I may feel may not actually mean the external world has changed at all i.e. God still loves me, as does my family, I still have a job and so on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital?

The 10 commands I see here are: 1/ submit yourself, 2/resist the devil, 3/ come near to God, 4/ wash yr hands, 5/ purify yr hearts, 6/ grieve, 7/ mourn, 8/ wail, 9/ change our laughter to mourning & joy to gloom 10/ humble ourselves. We need to submit to God to be under his authority & this enables us to submit to him & gives us the strength to stand against & resist the devil. In coming near to God we have the desire to wash our hands & purify our hearts. To grieve the fact that we have sinned against God & this encompasses mourn, wail, change yr laughter to mourning & yr joy to gloom. In doing this we humble ourselves before God with a repentant heart. When we truly submit to God it is then that he can move in our lives in such an awesome way. :)

In what way do they go against our nature?

We are born into a sinful nature. It is our natural instinct to do what pleases us. It is not part of our natural desire to submit to God & humble ourselves. :)

Which of these commands is most difficult for you?

I think drawing near to God is one area in my life which I need to address. I don

• 2 months later...

Q3. (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital? In what way do they go against our nature? Which of these commands is most difficult for you?

These actions are vital so that we may have a true relationship with God.

They go against our nature because of the flesh and our sinful ways.

I find all of these commands difficult.

John.

• 2 months later...

Verses 7-10 are the things that we must do to completely surrender to God. The Jews use the word trust instead of faith which openly states our dependency upon Him. James is giving us the steps we need to take to attain this.

Everyone wants to be self sufficient, at least to a degree. To be in anyway dependent upon someone else is difficult. To be totally dependent upon the Living God, sight unseen, is seemingly impossible.

For me, humbling myself to achieve this trust is the most difficult of all things. I pray for the courage to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Verses 7-10 are instruction as to what we are to do to set ourselves right before God. When we submit ourselves to God we put on focus on Him an not ourselves. When we resist the devil and turned to God for strength we will not follow through with a temptation that may come our way which if we do fall into it it will keep us seperated from God. When we have falling we need to confess with a repentent heart to God and when with sin against God it should make us grieve, mourn and wail because it seperates us from God. God love is greater then mans'. When asked which command that I can't keep to I find it hard to answer this one. I have been a Christian for 5 years now. Each day I find myself on my knees because of an old sin that may have popped into my head. I am so thankful that I am able to get on my knees before my Savior, and I pray for those who are unable to do this due to a disabilty or ignorance to God.

• 2 months later...
Q3. (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital? In what way do they go against our nature? Which of these commands is most difficult for you?

They are important because they are steps of surrender to God Steps that we take to TOTALLY trust Him.

They go against our nature because the nature of man is to trust in ourselves. To Trust in any one or any thing else seems ludicrous to our natural mind, but God said He would take the foolish things to confound the wise. Those who are trully wise have learned though to trust God with all of their heart and not to lean to their own understanding.

I have trouble with the whole trusting deal. I have learned by experience that God is the only one I can trust. I have had a great deal of trouble with my pride. My attitude in life USED to be " I don't need anyone, I can do this on my own." I have worked long and hard to overcome this attitude and I am making progress through the help of the Holy Spirit. Praise God!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
If these commands are not heeded they will not root out our sinful attitude. They all determine our inner spiritual w elfare. We neeed to resist thedevil at every crossrod. We needto accept

God'sgrace and come andd draw closer to him to resist any onsasught froom the devil We need a spiritual cleasing daily in order to obey these commands The need to repent when I find myself and am convicted of any of thesse commands which draw me away from h aving a loser walk with my Lord.

• 1 month later...

A) These actions are vital so that we live a Godly life and try to keep sin out of our lives.

B) Our nature is to do what we think is right and taking the easy way out instead of being

obedient to the Word of God.

C) Being humble and taking a stand against the devil.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital?

The commands are vital because they cause us to recognize sin, turn away from them, and become a humble and obedient servant of God.

They go against our nature because ever since the fall of man his tendency has always been to sin. Turning away from sin goes against the very nature of a sinful man.

Most difficult of these commands is the submission to God. As a sinner saved by grace, there are still areas in my life that has not completely submitted to God. Such things as extensive time in front of the television instead of using the time for Bible Study or Witnessing; I still grapple with, this is not submission to God.

"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." James 4:17 (KJV)

• 2 months later...

These commands are vital to us because James is instructing us on how to maintain a stable and faithful relationship the Lord. They go against our nature in that we seek pleasure and James is telling that not all pleasure is pleasing to God and that we are to resist it and repent from our unstability and unfaithfulness.

My problem is not always letting go of pleasure that is not pleasing to God.

• 4 months later...

We need to do all these things because we need to be able to allow God to have His way in our lives. He knows what is best for us and how we can best be used to serve others. They go against our nature because we have to let go and give up control and not take the credit for what He achieves in us. That puts an end to serving our own sinful desires. The one that is most diffucult to me is giving up that independent spirit which wants to be seen as efficient and proffessional, which knows it all and is strong to help others and get the glory. Oh Lord, where did all that come from - please forgive me!

• 3 weeks later...

These actions are vital because when we submit ourselves to God, we experience a closer relationship with Him. In this relationship we have His power to overcome the enemy. We also become more aware of the consequences of sin and we are more ready to think twice before carrying out the sin.

They go against our nature because:

** We need to obey God voluntary. This is not always easy as we are rebellious and proud a lot of the time

** we are put in a postion where we are forced to choose between God and sin. Being double minded doesn't make it any easier for us.

**If we don't feel God's presence, we may give up, rebel, lose hope. We are so driven by our ewmotions that we find it hard sometimes to accept that God is still with us even when we don't feel Him as much as we have at times before. Our faith is tested and often found wanting.

** Instead of finding reasons for why we sinned, we find that we need to have a genuine grief for having failed God. We can't just repent and carry on as though nothing had happened. Genuine grief signifies our responsibility for our sin.

** It is not always easy to humble ourselves and to adapt our will to God or to people. We have a power struggle with pride and humility.

I find one of the most difficult commands is being humble. I may find it easy sometimes to humble myself before God but can be rebellious by nature and humbling myself before my fellow man is a struggle for me a lot of the time. I know that God hates pride, so I have been praying to be more humble.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital?

These actions are vital because they help in bringing about a spiritual renewal in the person and help us live a life that is submissive to God and not to the evil desires of the self..It also helps us keep apart from ourselves the double mindedness and seeking after pleasure of the world.

By our nature we are prone to go after the easy things to achieve and we like to walk on the smooth roads rather than going after the hard to keep way of life of a true follower of Christ. All these new practical commandements go against our nature of sinfulness, self centeredness, pleasure loving self, etc.

The part difficult for me to do will be the resisting the devil and total submission to God..

• 10 months later...

Q3. (4:6-10)

Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital?

We are to reject our wicked old nature and get nearer to God. This we can do by submitting ourselves to God; by obeying Him. When we pray

Hi hanks,

I am so glad you posted your thoughts on James today. I did this study ages ago and forgot what I prayed for, this is what I said,

" The one that is most diffucult to me is giving up that independent spirit which wants to be seen as efficient and proffessional, which knows it all and is strong to help others and get the glory. Oh Lord, where did all that come from - please forgive me! "

I am now on a teacher training course and I have wondered why I am feeling so stressed out. I have found it so hard to take the criticism that the tutors hand out after they have observed my lessons. Whenever I improve, there is always something else to think about! I am no longer the efficient professional who knows it all, I am just a beginner who has no idea what they are doing, just like everybody else on the course! I asked God to help me deal with this and boy, is He sorting me out- ouch!!

I wouldnt have it any other way, and know His discipline is out of love. Your posting that message has reminded me that God does listen to prayer and He is always with me, even after observations at school!

God bless you,

Busy Lizzie

• 2 months later...

WHY ARE THESE ACTIONS SO VITAL? If we don`t submiit to God then we will not be able to resist the devil, or will we be able to come close to God. How would one clense their hands or get purified?Without those actions we would not lament mourn or weep or turn from our laughter, and how would we humble ourselves? So it is very vital that these actions are comprehened and acted upon. IN WHAT WAY DO THEY GO AGAINST OUR NATURE? Most people that I have met including myself do not like submitting to someone, imagine submitting to God whom you have not seen! To resist the devil is turning away from some of the so called good things in life. To put away that type of music or those movies or to walk away from those parties or what ever there might be, for some that cleansing is hard, they think their life will be empty. WHICH OF THESE COMMANDS IS MOST DIFFICULT FOR YOU? As I grow as a follower of Christ I find that submission becomes easier , resisting the devil is always there but I am confident because the Lord is with me, drawing close to God is exilerating, doing studies of His word bring great excitment and joy, but I beleive that submission to God was the hardest, for without that I do not think the rest would be reached. Yes to say all is yours oh Lord and I will wait upon your word, I surrender all to you was very hard. :rolleyes:

Our greatest desire should be to please our Lord. If we want to receive all God has for us we must understand that these are not suggestions, they are commands. To receive the joy of the Lord, even in difficult times, we must obey God. This is not easy to do. We let other things get in our way because we are selfish and want to do things our way. The most difficult for me is submitting and resisting.

• 1 month later...

By reading the following list found in verses 7-10, one sees that these actions are vital so that we might humble ourselves before God and repent. These go against us our nature in that we are often prideful or double minded. We want things our ways. I believe these are all related to humbling oneself before God.

1. Submit yourselves, then, to God.
  2. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
  3. Come near to God and he will come near to you.
  4. Wash your hands, you sinners, and
  5. purify your hearts, you double-minded.
  6. Grieve, mourn and wail.
  7. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom.
  8. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

• 3 months later...

1. These actions are neccessary in order to live joyfully, without guilt.

2. For it seems easier for us to take the easy way out.

3. Resisting the devil

The actions humblinging ourselves,submittingour selves to God,resisting the devil, coming near to God, washing our hands and purifying our hearts,repenting our sins are all essential for us to live a life of true joy in the love of Jesus.

We do easily get distracted away into other actions.

I too find resisting the devil the hardest at the moment, but with God's grace I feel I can win each daily battle. :)