JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Shining as Stars

Question 4.2

God is working to produce in our churches and in us purpose and resolve to accomplish and to carry out God’s pleasure for the church.  (Notes) In order for the church to work together in love between the members and for the church to work co-operatively as a collective with God ; this can only happen through love.  The church must act humbly in this endeavor and with fear and trembling work out their salvation as God works with us toward the same end.

In order to thus bring out God’s pleasure for our church we must do everything without complaint and arguing.  These two have a negative connotation to them - if we do not complain and argue in the church, we, as a church can become blameless and innocent children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation.  But “it is in humility that the journey toward their salvation” (Barth , Epistle to the Philippians, 77) must proceed.  It is in a struggle with ourselves in being humble which allows us to proceed toward salvation.  If the church lives in this humility then the world must see and realize the difference between the church and the world around about which is filled with its own self glorification.  The Christians in the church by their own lack of self glorification and instead of living by grace in fear and trembling and doing everything without complaint and arguing that the church can represent God midst the world’s crookedness and depredation. (Barth, 77)

As Christians work through the process of humility and to present to the world the word of life in fear and trembling.  Thus they become sanctified by God and then they (we) will exist to the glory of God against the day of Christ.  In this way we shine as in the little hymn “Jesus bids us shine with a pure clear light ....Jesus bids us shine first of all for him....Jesus bids us shine then for all around ... you in your small corner and I in mine.

Sometimes we are given ‘a thorn in our side to torment us’ (2 Corinthians 12.7). We pray about these thorns but our answer is often ‘ my grace is sufficient for you . For my power is in your weakness.”(8) Our church has a thorn at present. I think that we as a group need to become more humble and accept the thorn with fear and trembling as did the Philippians and allow God’s grace to be our power and strength and we must see His power as sufficient for our purpose and our cause as we walk through the deep waters.

WinstonY

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (2:14-15) How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky? What does this shining as stars signify? Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place? If so, what can you do to change this?

1. The church would be more cohesive; therefore working on the things of God: and winning souls to Christ.  2.  Daniel 12:3 (KJV) – states, “And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.” 3.  I actually don’t attend a church; we have prayer and Bible study.  We don’t complain and argue.  There is no need to argue, God’s Word is the truth and we stand on the truth. 

• 5 months later...

The way that ceasing complaining and arguing enables a church to shine as stars is we can concentrate on the important things instead of the minor things. If we are always having to address the complaints about minor things then we can’t address the importance of following Jesus Christ. We can then shine like stars because we won’t be like everybody else and people will be able to see Jesus in us.

• 3 weeks later...

When a church ceases to complain and argue, and learns to walk in love and unity even with differing opinions, outsiders recognize the difference from other groups or communities.  They are drawn to the love, because it contrasts so differently from the coldness and depravity of the world.  The church is like a shing star in a dark sky by reflecting Christ and nothing else.  We had to leave a church at one time because the discord within the church was so overwhelming and deep that it was beginning to affect our family.  We would leave church either arguing or crying every Sunday!  We all were so intimately involved in the church that we could not escape the turmoil.  So we moved to another church that was more loving and that dealt with discord in a more healthy way.  We also learned to be more prayerful and selective in our church involvement and activity level.  Today, our family enjoys going to church together again.  Praise God!

• 1 year later...

When the church ceases arguing and complaining, agape love is at work in us.  The love of God will shine through us in the midst of a dark world.  "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."  John 13:35, ​also, I John 3:14 says, " We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers."  

Shining as stars will signify that we have really come to a place of walking in genuine love.  We no longer say things just because we think we have a right, but we speak and act in ways that is truly reflects our true image, which is of God in Christ Jesus.

I would say that complaining and arguing, behind the scene backbiting and the unspoken religious spirit at work has definitely had a negative effect on our church. 

What I can do about it, is to not allow that kind of spirit affect my heart and pursue love above all.

Q2. (2:14-15) How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky? What does this shining as stars signify? Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place? If so, what can you do to change this?

Ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky because the light of Christ in them will exude light in the dark.

The shining as stars signifies, being a light to the world in your testimony, your walk, reflecting the work of the Lord.

In the past twenty plus years worshipping and fellowshipping with my congregation I have not encountered a situation where complaining and arguing compromised the church's witness as a God-place.

They will be able to see peace and love.

They will see us and our good works & love to others and it all points to Jesus--the light of the world.

I guess it is pretty common, so I will not say our church is perfect. But we work at not being argumentative or complaining. We don't want to sully our witness.

Complaining and arguing will cause divisions and disunity in Church but when this ceases, when we repent, God can effectively work his purposes in our churches and we can shine like stars in the dark crooked world.

Christians being shining stars in the universe signifies - The world must see a difference in the church from any other kind of human institution

First, the initial word of King James Version is “lights in the world”, not “stars in the dark sky”.  I do not agree with the translation of NIV, because Jesus did not say that we should shine like stars in the dark sky:

Mat 5:14  Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Mat 5:15  Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

Mat 5:16  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Therefore, we should stay in line with what Jesus has said:

Php 2:15  That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

The stars in the dark sky is more suitable for Hollywood celebrities than for Christians.

Anyone who introduces or changes the meaning of the word of God is not follower of Jesus Christ, hence it is not right to keep silence and stay in harmony with that person.  We should always rebuke those who change the meaning of the word of God.

Jesus has said:

Mat 5:18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Mat 5:19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

The Old Testament has said:

Deu 4:2  Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Pro 30:5  Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

Pro 30:6  Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Paul has said:

Gal 1:8  But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

2Ti 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

John has said:

Rev 22:19  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Christians should always be alert about new gospels that are being preached in the world to exchange the ordinance of God for “love and unity”.  This means people can live in love, in harmony, and in unity without the word of God and His law.

Mat 24:24  For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Christians should stand out in the world and shine not because of their good works but because they are witnesses to the truth of God.  They do not boast about themselves but about the glory of God.

Psa 34:2  My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.

Psa 34:3  O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.

Isa 61:6  But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

Rom 2:17  Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,

Rom 2:18  And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;

Rom 2:19  And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness,

Rom 2:20  An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law.

Eph 2:9  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Eph 2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Only by abiding to the word of God and His commandments that we can achieve true love, harmony and unity in this world.  If for the sake of the truth of God and His gospel that I should argue with anyone, then let it be.

(2:14-15) How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky? What does this shining as stars signify? Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place? If so, what can you do to change this?   

Cease complaining will show unity within the church and let the world see Christ. The church is held to a higher standard.  We are to be blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which we shine like stars in the universe as we hold out the word of life.  Shining as stars signify that we are Jesus disciples and will show the love and peace we have for one another so the whole world can see.  I believe all churches will go thru situations where the membership will complain and argue about issues.  It is our responsibility as Christians to continue to let our light shine.

Every generation believes that they are living in darkness. It seems though that the world gets darker as time goes by.

As Christians, because we know the truth, we do (or should) shine.

As we no longer conform to the "rules" of worldly living, people experience something different in Christians who sincerely live in love and as peace-makers.

Actually it is not difficult to shine like a star in a dark sky. People living in darkness, want to have what you have and become shining stars themselves. It is a great way to show the Gospel to people.

Each individual needs to do his/her share to become shining lights. We need to encourage each other to live a Godly life.

Rigid argument will lead us to disaggrement, so we have to stop complaining and arguing and use free exchange of ideas in love and a spirit of unity. God enlightens all His children with His words as we obey Him with fear and trembling. These ideas we have to exchange them with love and spirit of unity and not with complaining and argument; when we do this the church will shine as stars in a dark sky.

To be seen as away to salvation in this sinful and dark world, so that sinful people from this world see the light and return themselves to God.

Pray to God, so thatGod gives us the answer to these arguments. Discuss on the points of argument with love and spirit of unity and let the God of our salvation give us the answers.

Q2. (2:14-15)

Q. How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky?

A. It will show the world clearly how lovely and different we are just as the stars stand out and illuminate the surrounding.

Q. What does this shining as stars signify?

A. As said above, being Christlike and thus different from the depraved world in our conduct will illuminate the lives of others and bring them to check out what makes us different.

Q. Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place? If so, what can you do to change this?

A. I am not very aware of this. But if it has, we need to pray God to give us Christlike spirit to change.

Q2. (2:14-15) 

How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky? 

What does this shining as stars signify? 

Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place? 

If so, what can you do to change this?

Complaining and arguing among the congregation causes disunity.

Unfortunately, we will always have some amongst us who demand extra attention. 

In my experience it has mostly been one or two individuals.

It cannot be allowed to continue, and must be confronted and dealt with. 

As believers we should try and live lives without blemish, and not be seen as a bunch of hypocrites. 

Only then will we, among all the wickedness that goes on in the world, clearly stand out as shining lights.

It will be like bright lights against the dark background of this world. 

The darker the world, the brighter the light.

We do not create the light, but reflect the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ for all the world to see.

Q2 Phil 2:14-15) How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky?

​Stars shine in a dark sky when there are no clouds or fog obscuring their light. Complaining and arguing are like dark clouds muddying the image ​of the Church, obscuring the image of Jesus and making disunity and self centered egotism the main focus shown to the world.

What does this shining as stars signify?

​The Light and love of our Lord...a beacon to the lost, the broken, the sinner, the disheartened, to come and see the beauty of Jesus! It invites scrutiny and offers a welcome to all to come and taste and see that He IS GOOD! Stars shine more clearly when it's really dark, like our world, and penetrate the darkness.

​Each of us is a letter, written by our Lord on hearts of flesh, not of stone (legalism, cold, unbending, unyielding) as his ambassadors! How we speak and behave is how observers will view our beautiful Jesus.....either reflecting the Glory of God, or eroding His Glory. We are to influence the world with His love, truth and grace...bringing Light into the darkness.

Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place? If so what can you do to change this?

​No, thank the Lord! Our church is a very loving, serving, wonderful God-place.

Shalom to the Saints by Faith in Messiah,

GREETINGS:

1.We make Yah #1 in our lives and assembly. We make Yahshua #1 in our lives in making Him our Teacher,and Rabbi. When we do others see us as being one in unity and Spirit with our Father.

2. This shining star signifies the love of Messiah in the brethren one to another.

3. We have not experienced this in the churches we have attended, but have heard when this happens, division occurs.

4. The way I see to change it is to come together in unity of prayer, and peace and love of the Savior.

Bring your grievances and complaints to those that can do something about it.

Take whatever the grievances are to Scripture to look for Yahs wisdom.

When we have come to a cross road in our Assembly of differences regarding Scripture. We first do not argue, cause strife, or cause discord among the brethren because that is the flesh to get its own way. We look to the Scripture do be our final authority. Not man's opinion because they don't count.

May Yah continue to bless you and have a wonderful week.

Love in Messiah

FAITH

A church by ceasing to complain and agree will be following the Lord's will. Their deeds and works will display the true church that is serving the Lord.

Shinning as stars signifies that the dark world of wickedness can see the church doing the will of the Lord.

There had been a when some new comers have come into the congregation and started complaining and using gossip because the church, as they determined, was not functioning as thought it should. These new comers were bouncing from church to church in our community because they caused trouble and were thrown out.

We as a congregation allowed the church counsel to confront the new comers. All are welcome but we follow the new Testament commands and do not allow others to change things by their complaining and tail bearing gossip.   

Q2. (2:14-15) How does ceasing complaining and arguing

enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky? What does 

this shining as stars signify? Have complaining and arguing 

compromised your church's witness as a God-place? If so,

what can you do to change this?

1. Outsiders will not see you as lights in a dark world? There will not

be any unity. If we do not start reflecting the Lord, we're no different

than the world. We will also be cooked and depraved.

2. It signify that men may see your good deeds and praise your 

Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16) Jesus himself said, "By this

all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one 

another" (John 13:35)

3. Sometimes in the past, it has.

4. I can pray and fast and give the word of God firmly, but with love. Be an example, also.

In the text on v. 14 and 15, it talks about ceasing complaining and argument which causes the person to become pure and blameless.  When we are pure and blameless, the work of God is very much evident in our life.  Even without conversing with a person or group of people, just the way we conduct ourselves speaks out loudly how others sees us.

The shining as stars signify is just another way of glorifying God in our faith and work for our Lord Jesus Christ.  When we faithfully serve our Lord Jesus Christ and let others in on what we are doing, God shines the light in us so that others see and respects the work God is doing in us.

Complaining and arguing is pretty much like part of church problem if we allowed it to continue in our church community and not letting God do His work in each of us to minimize the problem. It is easy to complain and argue when we don't see them as something that creates a barrier and seperates us from God and His Son Jesus Christ.  We need to stop arguing and complaining.  Pray to God to help us take care of the situation regarding complaining and arguing.

In our church, we as leaders counsel those servants and other Christians whom we know are complaining and arguing just about any issues we have in church.  Counseling with the word of Jesus Christ is one way we deals with complains and arguing in church.

How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky? What does this shining as stars signify? Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place? If so, what can you do to change this?

WE ARE REPRESENTATIVES:  WE MUST NEVER FORGET THAT OUR MANDATE IS TO GO OUT AND GET DISCIPLES TO FOLLOW JESUS.  OUR INVITATION IS REFLECTED BY HOW WE CONDUCT OURSELVES.  IT IS TRUE:  "The world must see a difference in the church from any other kind of human institution. Jesus himself said, "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:35)."

WHAT CAN I DO? LEAD THE CHARGE BY BEING THE CHANGE I WANT TO SEE.

Complaining and arguing is already a sign of division...not only within the Church but individually..with God. In order for the Church to stand strong there must be ongoing effort for unity which creates space for wholeness and solidarity. This enables the Church members to " shine as stars in the night sky" to be a beacon of light in the darkness...for others. Stars are light..they shine and they all shine together in their thousands..... People look up in awe and wonder knowing its Gods own legacy...something incredibly special. We have to be true representatives of Christ and shine our light as bright as we can to become a shining example to others.

Why complaining and arguing so harmful? If all that people know about a church is that its members constantly argue, complain, and gossip, they get a false impression of Christ and the Good News. Belief in Christ should unite those who trust him. If your church is always complaining and arguing, it lacks the unifying power of Jesus Christ. Stop arguing with other Christians or complaining about people and conditions within the church and let the world see Christ.

Our life should be characterized by moral purity, patience, and peacefulness, so that we will “shine brightly” in a dark and depraved world. A transformed life is an effective witness to the power of God’s Word. Your life should shine bright, not clouded by complaining and arguing but shine out for God.

As a Christian, it is not healthy to complain and argue since our scripture indicates that when we complain and argue, our spiritual growth is diminishing.  And if we keep it up, soon our heart will be hardened and we won't know it.  But when we cease complaining and arguing, our Lord Jesus shines in us and the whole world can see it eventhough we don't tell them, but they just know.

When the light shines in us, Satan will do all in his power to dim that light, but we have faith and scripture knowledge through praying and reading His word that satan cannot win since Jesus Christ already won our souls by paying the ultimate price for us.

Only by complaining and arguing can our relationship in the church and with God could be broken. However, take your concerns to Christ daily and ask Him for forgiveness and also how you can deal with the complains and arguments and Christ will forgive you for having those.

It has to do with attitude change.  When we accept Christ, He has forgiven us and our complains and arguments can turn into something we can learn from and never do those again.

Complaining and Murmuring only tries to put forward the fact that you are not getting your own way. One cannot stay happy or content with bitterness and hatred within you. To Argue again is trying to force others to agree to your way of thinking / acting.

Jesus Christ never complained or murmured. He addressed the issue and either solved it or suggested a solution

This is not leading you to live blamesless and pure lives like Jesus

Shining as Stars signifies that our lives should emit a difference from other lives

Lights are used to make things evident .... In this case the image of Christ should be portrayed. We are called to be Christ like

Lights are used to guide ...................... .... So u are called to be an example

Lights are used as a warning................ ....head lights of a car inform of coming vehicle , traffic lights show stop signals So we are to warn others of impending death and damnation

Lights are used to bring cheer. ............ In a dark room when light us switched on everyone's mood is elevated , when we walk into a room we should bring a joyful atmosphere

Lights are used to make things safe .... The beam of a lighthouse informs the ships of a haven ., a shore

nearby , safe land

So in the Darkness it is obvious that light makes a huge difference. We accept the "world" as being in darkness and so we are to be shining as lights in the World.

If there is complaining and murmuring in the church I pray about it and ask God to bring a revival so that there is unity and singleness of purpose and no argument