JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Shining as Stars

shingng as stars in a dark sky means that we should be beakens for others. They should be able to see christ at work in church as well as in us.

yes, this is going on in my small church. Basicly over an elder hiring a pastor without the other elders knowing, nor a vote of the church. For going the bylaws of our church. This has caused much anger,confussion, and fighting to say the very least.

What can I do? This one I'm stumped. For, this pastor troubles me greatly. So, I've turned it over to God and pray that I watch my own behavor and tongue. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COMPLAINING AND MURMURING IS BEING NEGATIVE,AND NOT HAVING A POSITIVE OUTLOOK ON THE WORK WE DO FOR JESUS IN OUR CHURCH.THIS CAN CAUSE CONFLICT BETWEEN THE CHURCH,AND THERE IS KNOW UNITY.WE CAN NOT BRING IN AND DRAW PEOPLE TO JESUS CHRIST(SALVATION)IF THE PEOPLE ONLY SEE NEGITIVE STUFF GOING ON IN OUR CHURCH,PEOPLE NOT GETTING ALONG AND COMPLAINING ABOUT THINGS.THEY SEE KNOW GOOD IN OUR CHURCH WALLS ,AND THEY DEFFINITALLY DONT WANT WHAT IS THERE.

WE MUST SHINE LIKE STARS IN THE SKY,AND HOLD OUT,OR GIVE OUT THE WORD OF LIFE TO GODS PEOPLE.

WE SHOULD BE POSITIVE AND FULL OF GODS LOVE.SHOWING LOVE CAN TURN A LOT OF THINGS AROUND,FOR THE GOOD OF GODS PEOPLE.

• 2 weeks later...
:o Q2- Do all things without murmurings and disputings- In a quiet, peaceful, inoffensive manner! See-Ephesians, 4:31-32.(NKJ).Also PASLM, 133- Peace, Unity! When we get this right we will shine like STARS in a dark sky.By walking in the way of our Lord we should be able to be a shining light no matter where we may be.Praying always that this may help to change not only our church,but the way the world sees us! AMEN.

• 2 months later...

I BELIEVE THAT WHEN WE CEASE TO ARGUE AND COMPLAIN AS CHRISTIANS IN THE BODY OF CHRIST WE WILL HAVE MUCH MORE UNITY AND PEACE AMONG US AND THUS PEOPLE WILL BE ABLE TO SEE A DIFFERENCE IN US.

WE'LL BE LIKE THE STARS THAT SHINE BRIGHTLY IN DARKNESS.JESUS SAYS WE ARE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD BUT OUR CONSTANT MURMURING AND COMPLAINING MAKES US NO DIFFERENT THAN THOSE WHO ARE OUT IN THE WORLD FOLLOWING THEIR OWN SELFISH LIFESTYLE.PEOPLE LOOK AT OUR LIVES AND THEY CAN TELL IF WE'RE TRUE CHRISTIANS BY OUR ACTIONS.

ONE CHURCH I ATTENDED IN THE PAST HAD MAJOR STRIFE AND SO PEOPLE STARTED COMPLAINING ABOUT THE PASTOR AND HOW THINGS WERE DEALT WITH.SOME LEFT THE CHURCH AND SOME TRIED TO TALK WITH THE PASTOR BUT I THINK THEY ENDED UP HAVING A LOT OF DIFFICULTIES AS A RESULT.

I PRAYED OF COURSE THAT THEY WOULD HUMBLE THEMSELVES AND ADMIT TO THEIR FAULTS OR ERRORS.ONE PERSON NEVER THOUGHT HE DID ANYTHING WRONG ; THE PASTOR BELIEVED HE WAS BEING CAUTIOUS BY REMOVING THIS PERSON FROM LEADERSHIP.SO THEY WENT SEPARATE WAYS..GOD BLESS.........

• 9 months later...

When the church ceases from complaining and arguing you get shalom; peace, harmony, unity, fellowship. This is the peace that passes all understanding, a reflection of the peace within the Lord. This is vastly different than the world we live in today, a dark and dreary land with war, hate, fear, lies etc. By being the Christ like example that we should be, we are lights shing in darkness, a reflection of Jesus Himself.

Indeed, complaining and arguing have always compromised our witness. And only by spiritual growth has it been diminished, and in some cases, the Lord Himself has had to move on the individual. We can't change a thing. The only way is to submit ourselves to the Holy Spirit. That requires surrender of self, humilty. Once we do this, the Lord can move us above those things that would cause us to argue and complain and we can deal with them in meekness.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (2:14-15) How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky? What does this shining as stars signify? Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place? If so, what can you do to change this?

The key for a church to shines as the stars in the dark sky is unity. Granted not everyone will agree on everything, but the importance is to be the body of Christ and to reflect His love. Complaining and arguing leads to discontent in the body. We are to lift up the cross and when we put the complaining behind us and remember what the church is about, then we become the light on the hill that no one can hide. We remove self and replace it with Christ. Jesus is the Light of the world and we need to reflect it. I have seen the ill effects of what arguing and complaining can do. It makes the church unattractive to the community, people seeking selfish gain or their personal beliefs. The one thing I try to do in these situations is to remind the church of what is important. Loving God and loving thy neighbor!

Thank goodness there is no murmurings in my church. It can truly separate a church in a hurry.

Stars in the Sky means we need to always keep our eyes on Jersus and only Him

Shing Stars means to let all others see our good works as excellent examples of the good works we do for Him

• 5 months later...
Q2. (2:14-15) How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky? What does this shining as stars signify? Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place? If so, what can you do to change this?

Complaining always breeds discontent in a church and stops the stars from shining. Stopping the discontent enables the stars to shine again, The stars represent God's love and light.

• 4 months later...

discension spreads - it's easy to get pulled into the negative, harder to pull yourself out. Misery loves company - and it feeds on itself and grows. It's part of the darkness. If we leave the darkness (the complaining and arguing) we can only get closer to the light - that's where the stars will shine.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (2:14-15) How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky?

When a church cease to argue and complain the congregants will exert that energy into more constructive discipline that will cause those on the outside looking in to marvel and see them as the Church Christ died for.

What does this shining as stars signify?

It signifies a church that personifies the love of Christ and is visible to all who come.

Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place? If so, what can you do to change this?

In some pockets of the church there are some who find reasons to complain, grumble and argue; try as you may there will always be some of those people in every congregation. We can only listen and if the complaint is credible, move to right the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

people will see the love for one another and they realize the world isn't like this. shinning stars is illuminating and bright. we need to fight for the spirit of unity

• 1 month later...

The world is full of people who complain and argue without any gratitude in their hearts for the many blessings showered upon them. People bully and argue to get their way, right or wrong, without much love. Paul is telling the Philippians to stop this and be united in love and work disagreements out in love so the world can see the Lord God Almighty in the body of Christ/church. If the church does this, it becomes blameless, without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse world. Therefore, the church would be like stars shining in the dark sky.

I left a church in a church split over this very thing. The church seemed warm and loving on the surface, but when you got more involved over time, you encountered the selfish and nasty power plays and backbiting. Thus, no ministry and evangelism were being conducted and I did not feel good about inviting anyone to that church. It was a horrible witness to both the Christian and secular community. It still goes on in that church. They refuse to recognize this problem, even after the split. To them, the bad guys left. Sad.

This type of church culture is changed through repentance, love and the power of the Holy Spirit. Most importantly, the church body has to recognize and repent of this attitude. If not, the church culture never changes and eventually dies.

Church leadership must lead and set an example of love and unity in Jesus Christ to lead the way in making this kind of a change within the church.

• 6 months later...

It always takes at least two to argue, so if you stop complaining and arguing, then perhaps the others will stop too. Then, as has already been written, there might be an opportunity to find unity and love instead of always wanting our own way. One lesson that I learned a long time ago regarding unity within a marriage is that if you want your spouse to be on the same side of the argument as you, then go to their side. Then you are both on the same side. Game over. The same can be done in the church, so long as you're not dealing with heresy, I suppose.

I think shining like stars takes on a special meaning when you realize that everyone around all sees the same stars. If you shine like stars, then your neighbors, your countrymen, and other countrymen, all see the same brilliant picture of Jesus shining through you. If you shine like stars, then you bring awe and inspiration to those that witness the glory and love of God.

I think that a lot of complaining and arguing comes from too many people having a say in what the church is for. There are enough churches around, that we should be able to say 'this church is for people who like to sing this way' and 'this church is for people who want to all drive Mercedes' and so forth. Of course, that's not going to happen, nor is it the godly way, but there has to be something about the church that people say 'I come here because of ....' fill in the blank. When there is no specific reason why people come to church, then there can be all kinds of argument about what the church should be doing. Everyone has their own opinion, and there is a constant downward spiral towards doing nothing. Eventually, the pastor leaves, the church gets sold, and everyone blames everyone else for the dismal failure. At least, that's how I see it.

Can someone change this? It would take a very exceptional pastor or board of elders or lay leaders to be able to change this, because it does mean a power struggle for a while. There must be a unified goal, and there would be a lot of people who want to make their goal the church's goal. I don't know how to make that happen, and I don't know anyone who does, except maybe GOD. :-D. God bless you if you are in this struggle. Try just doing what the humblest person in the group wants to do, be a servant to all, and see where that goes.

To be a witness to the "world" a church must shine though as a place where the gospel is spoken and the church (people) have a genuine love for Christ as well as others.

I think of myself as a shining star for Jesus and hope that I can work toward that high calling.

Churches will die out if we as part of our each separate church doesn't spread God's word and his love.

• 3 months later...

You are able to shine as stars in the dark sky when there is no arguing or bickering in a church because you have the love of God in you. The stars signify the reflection of Jesus in us, just as the moon and stars are a reflection of the sun. I am thankful that the church I go to has never had a problem with arguing and complaining.

• 3 months later...

As children of God, As a body of Christ , as a Church united with His root, as a branch that Church will do all things with out grumbling and fault finding and with out complaining against God, and with out questioning and doubting amoung themselves. So that as childrens of God we will be blamless and guileless and be found innocent and uncontaminated without blemish.

As children of God, His light that He has placed in us through His Holy Spirit should shine like a beacon, shining as bright as a star with clearity that the darkness of sin can see our light and anyone looking for the way out of the darkness of this World, to the Light of Salvation with Christ, should be able to see that Light in us, and be able to find that help they need to find their way to Christ Jesus The Light Of The World through us His vine.

Christians shine like light in the spirital darkness of the World. We have to ask God to help us shine brightly with His love and joy to those around us.

• 6 months later...

Q2. (2:14-15) How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky?

The world is dark and getting darker every day. The Church when living and walking in the unity of Christ's Spirit, will be more visibly seen, and the difference will draw unbelievers eyes to her even as our eyes are drawn to the stars when it's dark outside.

The life and light of Christ shining through the believers. I remember a demonstration in an auditorium where all the lights were extinguished. With no windows, it was pitch black darkness. A match was lit, and every eye in the huge room was drawn to the tiny pin point of light. That's how we are to live individually and corporately...His reflected light through us drawing unbelievers to Jesus, because they see Him in our lives.

Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place?

No, thank the Lord. Our Pasor is amazing in how he handles disunity, but in this wonderful church, if any springs up, it's quickly dealt with and there is none that I can see. He's very spiritually discerning. He mentioned in a message that he had noticed a group of new ladies at church, so he introduced himself and chatted. The Spirit showed him they were a witches coven sent to infiltrate and corrupt the church. He gently but firmly asked them to leave, but didn't mention the witchcraft, just that he felt they should leave. A week later one of the women came to see him and told him that his asking them to leave had so shocked her that she wanted to tell him it "woke her up"....She told him that they were a witches coven from a nearby town, and that lesbianism was a part of their initiation rite. She said she came to repent and wanted to get right with the Lord".

Our church is one of the most loving and caring churches I've been a member of. We are a church with a black pastor, and about 60% of the church is black, and the rest of us are caucasian, Japanese, East Indian, Hispanic and others. As I worshipped on Sunday I thought, "This is how Heaven will be...every tribe and tongue and kindred and nation living in unity. I praise God for this amazing pastor and church!!!!

If so, what can you do to change this?

We visited a former church in December to attend a memorial service of a friend. Walking in from the parking lot, the first person we met, and hadn't seen in years, began to gossip about what so and so was doing, and why the Pastor was leaving, etc. I was shocked! It was such a potent reminder of the need to guard our tongues, to take murmuring or complaints to God in prayer and not pass any of it along to others. I felt like I'd been slapped, and asked the Lord to remind me of this if I ever feel tempted to murmur to others.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (2:14-15)

How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky?

Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place?

If so, what can you do to change this?

By our complaining and arguing we pollute the church and others do not see the unifying power of Christ radiating from that church. Belief in Jesus should be uniting those members who trust our Lord Jesus. As Christians we are to be lights that reflect the glory of the Lord so that others may see Jesus in us. This we do by living a morally pure life that is an effective witness of our Lord Jesus, remembering, that we are the only light in this dark and depraved world. I have not noticed much complaining and arguing in our church, at the moment. Praise the Lord! I would think if we consider our fellow believers and not always demand our own way, and if we can be a bit more humble, this should all go a long way to keep the uniformity of the church.

• 4 months later...

Like the Philippians, Paul calls to all churches to "stop arguing and complaining and murmuring and disputing". Ceasing the contentiousness allows us to "become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation".

Once this happens, each of us and the church will reflect the Lord.........then the church will be seen as different from any other kind of human institution as Pastor Ralph wrote. The world is twisted and deformed morally from God's original creation; God calls us to a higher standard.

The church will reflect God's glory.

Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place? If so, what can you do to change this?

In a very minor way at times. I tend to remind everyone when passions run high that "it is not about me". My wife reminds me too!

• 3 months later...

Arguing and complaining are character traits of the world - peace, love, and harmony are character traits of the members of the Body of Christ (Church) - so by becoming less like the world and more like Christ, this allows us to shine as stars in a dark sky. . .

Shining as stars signifies that there is very much a difference between the Church and the world - whereas ligh signifies goodness and the presence of the Lord - darkness signifies the absence of God's presence. As we shine like stars in a dark sky we present and demonstrate the presence of God in the world in which we live. . .

NO, we all appear to have the same vision and hope. . . There are at times a difference in opinions or ideas or thoughts as to how things may be done - but not to the point it has interferred or prevented what we feel is God's will for our ministry being done. . . In fact there has been times when good honest and open discussions have helps us gain a clearer understanding of the task that was to be performed. . . I'm not saying that we are all in total agreement with, to, and about everything - but we haven't been so disagreeable that it has cause a rift, and I pray it never does. . .

B)

• 3 weeks later...

I will give an example.

In my old neighbourhood, there were many 'gereformeerden' who where only christian on sunday.

The whole street had a garage box of which the upper part was white and the door was GREEN.

About 15 years ago, a new neighbour came in the street and he committed a major sin: he painted his door RED.

All those so-called christians where saying the dirtiest words and other bad things about him.

And this was only about the colour of his garage!

This makes other people think that christians are hypocrite, evil people - not good people who you want to belong to.

I left.

• 4 months later...

Jesus has called the church and Christians to be light in a dark world of sin. When we are complaining and arguing our light does not shine, because we have a negative attitude. God cannot work in us or our churches when we have a grumbling and complaining spirit, because we are acting like children of darkness and not walking as the children of the light (Ephesians 5:8). The Bible in chapter one of John refers to Jesus as the

• 1 year later...

2a)It is counter-cultural and will show the difference Jesus makes in us as a new creation when we work/live with our church members in harmony,peace and love for them.

B)It signify’s Christ in us making us more patient,selfless,caring of others, the change He has brought about in us.

C)Different denominations are confusing to non-christians so I emphasise the basics that Jesus died for us all and believing in Him &turning to follow his ways is more important.If any disagreements in fellowship need to identify reason &humbly in love find a way through. B)

• 7 months later...

To cease complaining and arguing enables a church to shine as stars in a dark sky by signifying an obvious difference in characteristics between God’s kingdom and worldly institutions. As I mentioned in an earlier question, I attend a very large church and I do not see arguing and complaining hindering its witness as God’s place. What I see is people are constantly coming to the altar to join God’s family because they feel His Spirit in the place. We are one church in two locations with six services being conducted every Sunday between both locations and people are always joining at both locations. What this tells me is the Spirit of God’s presence is readily available and strongly felt within and throughout my church because He sends and calls more and more people to His family for His purpose and glory.

• 1 year later...

Philippians 2:14-15
Q) How does ceasing complaining and arguing enable a church to shine as stars in a dark sky?
A) Complaining and arguing are signs of rebellion against God's will. God can do his best work in churches that trust Him and obey His will. When the church ceases to complain and argue God will be able to help the church to shine as a bright light in a very dark world.
#
Q) What does this shining as stars signify?
A) Shining as stars signifies that the world can sense (see) the presence of Christ among the church members.
#
Q) Have complaining and arguing compromised your church's witness as a God-place?
A) occasionally
#
Q) If so, what can you do to change this?
A) Exhort the church to collectively practice gratitude, humility and love in words as well as in deeds.