JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Taking Vengeance

gideon slays Zebah & Zalmunna because they killed his brothers.

In his day he would have been fulfilling his just obligation but in God's eye we are subject to the law, we are obligated to love our enemies.

Iwrote this saying in the last forum but I once heard someone say "don't worry about your enemies God can get them far better than you can" And Our Father has ALL POWER so there is no need for me to waste my energy doing what GOD CAN DO !! PRAISE THE LORD!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does Gideon slay Zebah and Zalmunna? Is he unjust or fulfilling his just obligation? (Numbers 35:16) Why does Romans 12:19 prohibit Christians from taking vengeance?

He slays them because they killed his brothers in a past incidence. According to Numbers 35:19 he has the right to kill them. ? Romans 12:19 says that vengeance belongs to the Lord, it is not ours to take.

• 1 year later...

Q5. (Judges 8:18-21) Why does Gideon slay Zebah and Zalmunna?

Gideon slay Zebah and Zalmunna because they were responsible for the death of his brothers in an earlier incident at Mt. Tabor.

Is he unjust or fulfilling his just obligation? (Numbers 35:16)

According to the standards of the time, Gideon was justified in this slaying, as he had a family obligation to exact vengeance for his brothers' unjust deaths.

Why does Romans 12:19 prohibit Christians from taking vengeance? (8:18-21)

Such vengeance and judgment against our offenders God has promised to enact on our behalf.

• 8 months later...

Q5. (Judges 8:18-21) Why does Gideon slay Zebah and Zalmunna? Is he unjust or fulfilling his just obligation? (Numbers 35:16) Why does Romans 12:19 prohibit Christians from taking vengeance?

Gideon slays Zebah and Zalmunna because they killed his brothers. He is fulfilling his just obligation under convenant law. However, Paul writes in Romans that we should not seek or take revenge, but that vengenance becomes to God and God only. And that is fine with me, because God's vengenance is perfect.

• 3 months later...

Gideon slew Zebah and Zalmunna for revenge of the death of his brothers. Numbers 35:16 says the murder shall be put to death. Gideon was acting under the law. I believe Gideon was fulfilling his obligation under the law when he killed Zebah and Zalmunna.

Romans 12:19 tells us not to take revenge. Revenge is to come from God.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the Old Testament and in order to deal equally with the issue God ordered that an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth be exacted (Deut 19:19-21). This is what Gideon felt obligated to do as he held these two kings responsible for the death of his brothers.

Thankfully we are under the New Testament and our faith allows us to wait upon the Lord to deal with such situations. We are obliged to love our enemies.

Q5. Why does Gideon slay Zebah and Zalmunna? Is he unjust or fulfilling his just obligation? (Numbers 35:16) Why does Romans 12:19 prohibit Christians from taking vengeance? (8:18-21)

Gideon was a man chosen by God to rescue the Israels, so what he did it was not bad.

The people had killed his own brothers, so he was revenging.

Our Lord Jesus Christ gave new commandment to Love one another, so we are not to take revenge.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gideon slays Zebah and Zalmunna for killing his brothers. This always gets very confusing for me. According to the times, it appeared justifiable to seek revenge if a family member was wrongfully killed. But then there is the commandment Thou shalt not kill, and there a numerous examples throughout the Bible of killing. Is it justified sometimes, and not others? I have more questions than answers for this one.

At least I'm clear about the application for my life today. Christians are prohibited from vengeance becuase it is up to the Lord to repay. How difficult it is at times to wait patiently for Him.

Q5. (Judges 8:18-21) Why does Gideon slay Zebah and Zalmunna? Is he unjust or fulfilling his just obligation? (Numbers 35:16) Why does Romans 12:19 prohibit Christians from taking vengeance?

Gideon slays Zebah and Zalmunna because they are the kings of Midian, if he let them alive, they would build their force again from their remaining people to take revenge.

He is fulfilling his just obligation that God has given the Midianites to Israel

Gideon slays the Kings because they are Kings of Midian who have dealt unjustly and cruelly with God's people.

No the punishment for Murder was death. More unfair than conquering a country it is to just keep coming in and stealing their harvest and herds and destroying their homes.

Grace is extended toward us and all mankind we don't want to be used to prevent another from knowing the grace that has saved us. We have been fully redeemed from the death and sin and as a Child we also know we have the protection of our heavenly Father, "Who will repay."

Gideon slays the Kings because they are Kings of Midian who have dealt unjustly and cruelly with God's people.

No the punishment for Murder was death. More unfair than conquering a country it is to just keep coming in and stealing their harvest and herds and destroying their homes.

Grace is extended toward us and all mankind we don't want to be used to prevent another from knowing the grace that has saved us. We have been fully redeemed from the death and sin and as a Child we also know we have the protection of our heavenly Father, "Who will repay."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Zebah and Zalmunna murdered Gideon's brothers in cold blood and probably most cruelly. They had time to be sorry and change there ways. They weren't and didn't. According to the law at the time Gideon was justified in taking their lives. I don't see a dark side in Gideon as he did this. Maybe it was there. To me he was doing what needed to be done.

In our day of grace God says Vengance is mine. I will repay. Romans 12:19. We can fully trust God that in His own time He will do justly and rightly in all matters. He gives us time to repent and does what he can to bring us to the point of repentance.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Q5. (Judges 8:18-21) Why does Gideon slay Zebah and Zalmunna?

These men had killed Gideon's brothers at Tabor.

He is just in fulfilling this obligation.....it was that day's "death penalty" for murder, which was apparently not an act of war.

Why does Romans 12:19 prohibit Christians from taking vengeance?

We are never to take revenge ourselves...."Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord"

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Q5. (Judges 8:18-21)

Why does Gideon slay Zebah and Zalmunna?

Both these kings had executed brothers of Gideon and he was thus obligated to extract revenge by killing them both.

Fulfilling his obligation. He was killing enemies of Israel who had done much killing themselves of innocent Jews. Numbers 35:16 does not apply in this case.

Why does Romans 12:19 prohibit Christians from taking vengeance?

As Christians we are not to take vengeance but rather let God deal with it. We should not

• 1 year later...

Gideon said that the slay Zebah and Zalmunna because they had killed his brothers. I don’t know if he was unjust or not but he was filling an obligation. The reason that Romans 12:19 prohibits Christians from taking vengeance is because we are suppose to leave room for God’s wrath.

• 2 years later...

Gideon slays Zebah and Zalmunna because they are the Midianite leaders who have killed some of his family members.  According to ancient times, this was his family obligation (Num. 35:16). In the New Testament, God tells us to NOT take revenge but to leave the revenge to God's own wrath (Romans 12:19).  Maybe this is to avoid our carnal nature from overcoming our spiritual nature.  Letting anger and violence have the upper hand can lead us down sinful paths.

• 4 years later...

Q5.  (Judges 8:18-21)

Q. Why does Gideon slay Zebah and Zalmunna?

A. As a revenge for killing his blood brothers at a previous incidence.

Q. Is he unjust or fulfilling his just obligation? (Numbers 35:16) Why does Romans 12:19 prohibit Christians from taking vengeance? 

A. As an Old Testament person, Gideon was not unjust as he was just fulfilling the legal injunction of that time. The Lord Jesus Christ came and instructed that there would be no longer an eye for an eye because God is the One who would revenge all atrocities for the Christian.

• 2 years later...

Gideon was just in the execution of the Midianite kings : Zebah and Zalmunna.  Gideon's Brothers were murdered by these kings.   Gideon was under the Old Covenant; what he did was warranted the Law of Moses.  Like Joshua, Gideon had a just zeal to eradicate idol worshippers.   The Midianites were a snare to the Israelites.   We read in the annals of Jewish history that the Maccabeans were zealous to go to war and fight the Syrians.  It was also a dire time, the Syrians were idol worshippers and were corrupting the Israelites.

Now we are in the New Covenant dispensation.   Our sword is the Word of God.   We demolish strongholds by the preaching the Cross of Calvary.  We plead the precious blood of Calvary as we intercede for others.  Apostle Paul knew and experienced the grace of God in his life.    He didn't take vengeance on no one.   He was so caught up in the love of God.   Apostle Paul had such a great understanding of the sure mercies of David.   The atonement rite in the Book of Leviticus. presents to us the mercy of God that overrides His justice.. 

17 century preacher George Fox, founder of the Quaker movement, had a profound grip onnon-retailation. Despite terrible persecutions, Fox and his early followers responded with love to their enemies which were plentifull.   Studying his sermons can shed light on this subject.  Most of all, we need to beseech the Holy Spirit to help us.