JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hallowed Be Thy Name

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

Our lives, the words that we speak and our actions should always reverance a Holy God, Our Father.

What desecrates and besmirches it?

The name of our Father can be desecrated and besmirched when used irreverently, as a swearword or in a profane fashion.

How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

We should recognize His exalted position and reverence Him as Holy.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

In my life I just say the our Father prayer without fully understanding or feeling the dept of how deep this prayer is. I think my hallows was empty, would say it from my head. Now it will be from the heart cause I now fully understand what it means to hallow His name. Many times like you stated we use his name in vain i.e. in a simple situation saying, "for God's sake," or God, are you kidding me to name a few

We should begin to hallow the Father first by acknowledging him as Our Father, the only Holy God etc., telling Him who He is and who He is to us and how much we reverence his name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

Our lives should be lived in an imitation of how Jesus lived when He walked on earth. We are a pale imitation but if we strive for the life He lived we are on the right path. In this manner we honor God our Father. We should never never use any of the words that refer to God or Jesus unless we are in prayer or supplication. To me any swearing is desecrating God

because He expects better from us. We should pray with reverence, love and a total belief. Talk to God all during your day but at some point find a quiet spot, bless yourself and pray quietly and deeply.

• 3 weeks later...

The Father desires to see us live out His commands in our lives, and so too, out of the heart the mouth speaks. Jesus taught us that the two greatest commandments are to love the Lord your God and to Love others as we love ourselves. I think this is what God wants to see in our lives and we show that we love Him by doing what what he commands. Paul teaches in Philippians 4:8 about what we should think about: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable

• 4 weeks later...

We hallow the name of our Father when we give Him praise in our prayers and in our songs and in the good things that come forth out of our mouths. Every day, and in all situations, the praises of our lips and the praises of out hearts should be coming forth.

just as our lips praise Him our lips also desecrate HIM. We speak His name in vain with out giving it any thought. Too many times We say His name casually and often with malice. I hear people say

"Jesus" all the time when they are not talking to Him and I say now that you have HIS attention what did you want to say.

We hallow the name of our Father when we give HIM praise and thanks giving in our prayers. When we tell and confess to Him how awesome and powerful HE is He is a Great God who is all powerful, all knowing, who loves me, and cares for me and blesses me everyday.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that we hollow His name, Daddy, by treating Him with respect. If you were to call your Daddy names and curses, you are not respecting Him or hollowing His name; in that way, you are desecrating His holiness. I see desecrating as destroying or making fun of something that is holy. You are hurting Him when you call Him names. Also, to hollow His name in our lives would mean to respect what He tells us to do. He tells us these things because He loves us and knows what's best for us, not because He just wants to tell us what to do all the time. If your loving Daddy saw you putting your hand close to fire, he would yell "Stop!" because He does not want us to get burned. He knows the way for us to live our lives abundantly. If we don't do what He says, it is like we don't respect Him, again desecrating Him. Also, we would live unhappy lives because He knows the way to live honorably and full of joy--better than happiness. We should hollow (praise) our Daddy's name when we begin to pray by thanking Him and telling Him what a great Daddy He is, not because He says to (Enter His gates with praise) or because we should, but because we mean it. How would you feel, as a parent, if the first thing your child says to you when he sees you is "Daddy, give me..." We should praise Him first because He is that magnificent. Look at all He has done for you so far; He did it because He loves you.

• 1 month later...

Q1 - To hallow the name of God, we must strive to direct all of our attention to God when we pray. When we are talking to someone we desire all of their attention and not be talking to others while we are talking. Prayer is talking to God and when we pray He desires our full attention. This is hard for some of us because our minds continue to go several directions. Besides speaking the Lord's name in anger, I think that we besmirch God's name when we ask Him to do something and then tell others that it won't come to pass. We are saying God is not truthful, that God is not capable, and that God is not righteous. To hallow the Lord when we begin to pray is to find the most quiet place you can find, and concentrate on all the good things God has already done for you. Then begin to praise Him and lift Him up.

• 3 weeks later...

When we approach god in prayer, we approach him in reverence and respect. That not only includes what we say but how welive. We must come to him with clean hands and a clean heart.

God wants us to live holy for He is holy. The things that brings dishonor to God is our failure to represent Him with the way we live. A main focus of many churches is "praise and worship.". but do we realize that our praise goes beyond the outward show of "making a joyful noise" but it starts with our living.

When iniquity becomes a part of our lives. We all sin as we press towards the mark of the high calling in Christ Jesus. In the process, we stumble - we approach God with true repentance.

Iniquity comes when we sin but make excuses or justify the behavior. We ask for forgivenenss with no intention of ever changing our lives or our behavior. I was a member of a Church where the Pastor lived an ungodly life - a life of adultery, mistreatment of his family - which had happened in his first marriage as well. Yet, when he got up to preach, he would pray and ask God to forgive him of his trespasses against God and man knowing that when he left the pulpit, he would continue to engage in the sin that dishonors God.

That kind of living dishonors God and makes a mockery of His grace and mercy.

To honor His name is about a life that honors God first with our actions and our lives and how we use His name.

I think that we hallow the name of Christ when we praise Him and worship Him. By hallowing his name we are reminded that he is the Holy One and sinless. We disrespect Him when we take his name in vain, ie: Lord, Jesus Christ, My God, and swear. We use so much of this in our daily language that it has unfortunately become a part of our language and we must strive to remember just who Jesus Christ is. When we begin to pray we can start with praising the names of God, like Jehovah, Shammah, Shalom, Nissi etc and then go in to how wonderful He is.

• 2 weeks later...

The bible says by their fruits we shall know them. Our lives and words can either lift up or bring down His name through the kind of spirits that dwels in us. Out of the abundance of mind the mouth speaketh. We can hallow His name by reminding Him what He has done in the past, for what He is capable of doing, for who He is and by the personal encounter we have with Him. We can desecrate or besmirch His name by speaking profanity of His name and by acting in contrary against what he has taught/imparted in us as a beliver. Christians are the bible many people read. I cannot call mysef a christian and act against what Christ did not teach.

Everything we say and do either honors or dishonors our heavenly Father. We honor Him by our obedience, worship, and love. We dishonor His name when we curse or take His name in vain. A habit of saying such things as "Oh Lord" or "Oh my God" as exclamations take His name in vain and are not honoring to Him.

To "hallow" God's name when we begin to pray, I think it's important to realize that our loving Father is mighty and holy. Reviewing the names of God that He has revealed in Scripture help us to know His character, such as: The Lord Who Heals, The God Who Sees, The Creator, God Most High, The Lord Our Righteousness, etc.

Love you answer!

I seek to honor and reverence God by applying His principles, values, and ideals in my life. By offering God my body as a living sacrifice also hallows the name our Father. When we do not reflect God's principles, ideals, values and holiness in our lives, we desecrate and besmirch the name of our Father.

We hallow the Father when we begin prayer by acknowledging his Holiness and reverencing his name.

• 3 weeks later...

What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

The totality of your life should always hallows the name of the Father. Everything we do, say and react sholud be holy for our Father is holy. With our imperfection or immaturity in Christ this might be a problem. As you walk this Chirst journey one should become perfect or mature which is a constant phenomena in our lives. Being made new daily which allows us to live and speak with holiness.

What desecrates and besmirches it?

When you live and speak contrary to the word of God.

How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

Get revence to him and his sovereignty.

Our lives and words hallow the name of God when we imitate the character of God. We desecrate and besmirch His name when the sinful nature overtakes our words and actions. We should hallow God when we begin to pray by remembering to thank Him for who He is. It should also be the time when we realize who we are before the God we are praying to.

"What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our father?"

I try to live my life daily as an example of what God ask from us in the bible. I do not use words, that take away from that, be it curse words, or even everyday words that would hurt someone's feelings, or cause them to question, my commitment to God.

" What desecrates and besmirches it?"

When we knowingly do things that go against what God expects of us.

"How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?"

When we enter into a moment of prayer, he should immediately have our undivided attention. I am one that always prays in my car, as well as on my knees in the quiet of my room. However, I always give God his respect no matter what time it may be. At home, even if it's just my blessing before a meal, no one should be talking, walking, or stuffing food in there mouth. In the car, I pray when I am alone ,with the music off, so there are no outside distractions.

I always begin every prayer by praising him, for what he has already done in my life.

I honor my Lord Father's name by using it ONLY when I talk or refer to him. Just the name brings a good feeling. I hope to pass this respect and feeling on to others, to share. It hurts so much whenever someone else uses Gods name in blasphemy, I try to correct in a gentle manner, with a quick prayer of forgiveness for the person. Because if they knew my Father, they wouldn't missuse his name. Thank You

• 2 months later...

We should hallow the Father by coming into a silence to reverend Him as the Creator of our Universe. We should be with humility that our limited minds, although an awesome thought as we are His children, that could never understand the canvas He paints on for our lives with His mercy and grace, that we are just a speck in the picture from our point of view. He is holy for the way He reveals himself to us and deserves our praise.

Out of anger, I have heard *od **** it. To me, do you really want Him to "****" it.? It is a good thing He does not give us what we ask for damning or darning the entire circumstance that caused us to do say this anyway. We truly do not respect His power nor holiness when we non-chalantly let it slip in a common way. We are lucky to be even able to say abba or our Lord's Jesus' name upon our lips. I always thought the most horrible thing would be to be separated from God forever and not even be able to say His Name to call upon by our own mouths. For this, I know that truly at times, like the Lord taught us, we can say, forgive them, for they know not what they do. Honoring God becomes a way of communication in how we speak to others.

I would think since Holy means to be set apart than when we set apart our lives for God (our Father) than our lives "Hallows" the name of our Father. I once read where acient Jews felt the name of God was so Holy that they had only certain time to use his name. For instance in casual conversation they used the word "HaShem" which simply means the name because they thought that call God by his name in casual conversation was defiling the name. If we remember reverence when speaking the name of the Father, and exercise disipline than in word we hollow his name.

Thou shall not take the name of the Lord in vain is one the ten commandments. It goes on to say that the Lord will not whole him guiltless that takes his name in vain. This is so much more than using the Father's Name as a swear word. It means forgetting to set it above everything else, it means to fail to honor the name of the Father. We should feel the power of his name when we speak it, not make it common or just another word.

I use the ACTS system of prayer so I give adoration to the Father in prayer. First! I think we should even in prayer be careful and discipline in using the name of the Father. Prayer is the most intimate time with the Father. Submit ourselves totally before the Father, acknowledge that we are nto even worthy to come before God in prayer, but by his lovingkindness, his graciousness that he allows us to come to his footstool to worship him.

psalm 99:5 says it to me the most clearly "Exalt ye the LORD our God, and worship at his footstool; for He is Holy."

• 2 weeks later...

We should live a life which resembles holy as the names says. A life which Christ should not doubt. A life which makes people see Christ.

We should not speak of holy living and not live on it.

When praying we should praise the God as our Father who is our shepherd, protector, gracious, kind, great the list goes on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q.1a) What about our lives and words "hallow" the name of our Father?

Recognizing that God is God and praising Him for everything in my life even if it isn't what I "really" wanted. Saying a prayer when I get up, communicating with God the Father in every aspect of my life.

Q.1b) What desecrates and besmirches it? I believe that this means to not live what I believe, I confess with my heart and go out and my mouth or actions don't coincide with my heart of confession. I believe this to be a great shame on my part. I am working with God on this I trust and believe that the Lord will help me.

Q.1c) How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray? We should always remember that God is our Heavenly Father and with out Him there would be nothing. We need to acknowledge that He is the Alpha and Omega, the sacrifice He made for all of us.Through him anything is possible. So when we pray we need to give God all the praise he so deserves.

Q.2a In what sense are we asking that the Father's kingdom should come? We are asking the Father that his kingdom be born in the hearts of all for His power and glory, so when Jesus comes back He won't have to leave anyone behind

Q.2b Why are we asking for the Father's will to be done here on earth? The only will that really matters on earth or in heaven is God's will. So often I run with my own ideas and only end up hitting a brick wall I often ask myself why not just let go and let God? It is way less painful that the brick wall and in the end His will always reigns. So we need to pray even the smallest thing in life. We need to step back and let the Fathers will take over our will. He will never leave us nor forsake us, we as humans just have to "Let Go And Let God" for His Will, will be done no matter what.

Q.2c How should this prayer affect our living? I believe that by living and believing in this prayer it makes us stronger. I know first hand it is very hard to forgive someone for what they did, but if I forgive them then it takes up less energy. I find it exhausting to be mad at someone. So I believe that this prayer helps build character and brings us closer to God. Because if we are doing God's will and preparing for the Kingdom to come hearing the words from Jesus "well done" makes everything in life worth it.