JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Forgiving

It is important for us to ask for forgiveness daily.Why? Because we sin daily. No matter who we are or how long we have been saved we are prone to sin. Therefore, we all need God's forgiveness daily.

I find it hard to forgive myself when my sins are every before me. It is only when I meditate on Christ and the Word that I experience freedom and peace in knowing that His blood has washed away my sins.

If we don't forgive then God cannot forgive us. It is important for us to let go of those who have hurt us. If we don't let them go and forgive them we open up ourselves to a host of sickness and disease.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to continually ask God for forgiveness because we were born into sin and we sin daily. If we desire to grow close to God, we need to seek Him and ask for foregiveness. We need to ask Him to show us where are sins are and how to overcome them.

If we have sin in our lives, we cannot expect God's blessings.

We have to forgive others in order for God to forgive us.

Q4. Why should we continually ask forgiveness? How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing? How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

We need to continue to seek forgiveness be cause we are a sinful people, scritpure says all have sinned a come short of the glory of God. Our flesh is weak but the spirit is strong if we continue to seek God and His righteousness then we can be forgiven.

Unforgiveness is in its self sin, and God can be a part to sin so if we don't forgive then He in all righteousness can't forgive us and therefore prevents the blessing that we should recieve from coming.

Being in sin leads a righteous God from frogiveness we can't be forgiven till we repent and that means forgiving those who have harmed us.

It is clear that for the scriptures that since we are sinners we must always ask for forgiveness- Sin can even be unrecognizable to us- since sin is whenever we experience a "lapse or deviation from truth and uprightness." Asking for forgiveness also keeps us humble! That is part of the reason it is hard for some people to practice forgiveness.

Matthew 6:14 is not only what Jesus commands us to do- but it is a universal truth whether one follows Jesus Christ or not.

You must forgive in order to be forgiven. When a person cannot forgive he ultimately ends up the one being hurt but his own inner turmoil.( I love the allegory Pastor Wilson write of the monkey being trapped by himself! ) Healing and freedom follows forgiveness. We can only experience God's blessings and forgiveness if we set ourselves free by forgiving others-deserving of it not!

Unforgiveness and hate IS sinful bondage as Pastor Wilson states. Our Heavenly Father wants us to live in freedom and joy so His light can shine brighter THROUGH us as true sons and daughers of our Father in heaven.

• 2 weeks later...
Q4. Why should we continually ask forgiveness? How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing? How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

"Clarise" June 1, 2008, 10:05

We must continually ask for forgiveness because we are continually sinning. Unforgiveness (sin) on our part prevents God from blessing us because if we don't forgive those who sin against us, God will not forgive us. (Matt 6:15)

• 4 weeks later...

We should continually ask forgiveness because we continually do things that need to be forgiven. Un-forgiveness of others will prevent God from forgiving us and we won't feel His blessing if we are not forgiven. Our being forgiven will be in proportion to how much we forgive others.

• 2 weeks later...

We continuously sin. God can not be in the presence of sin. For us to be in God's presence, we need to be cleansed of all unrighteousness. This includes forgiving others who have wronged us. If we don't forgive, God won't forgive us. Therefore, He can not bless us.

God sent His Son to die for us, so that we could be forgiven. Why would He forgive us, if we can't forgive others?

• 2 weeks later...

The flesh and the spirit fight daily it is a battle that can not be overcome except by prayer of asking God to help you control the flesh and putting the flesh under subjection of the holyspirit and repenting daily. For we are not aware of all sin commited by the flesh until we ask the holy spirit to bring forth our conviction so that we may ask God for forgiveness. But inorder for God to forgive you , you must ask God to create in you a forgiving spirit to forgive others, that may have harmed you. For if we don't forgive men of their tresspasses against us, our Father won't forgive us of our trespasses against another, and with out forgiveness u will block the blessings that youir Father has for u.

Q4. Why should we continually ask forgiveness?

When I was born again, I was washed completely of my sins. Asking for forgiveness daily, is the sponge bath for getting "dirty" in daily living...either by sins of commission or omission. Asking for forgiveness keeps me in humility, recognizing my falling short, and less likely to judge others failings or to be lifted up in self righteousness.

How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing?

Refusing to forgive can lead to bitterness and resentment...guilty conscience, and a "block" in our relationship with God. Jesus taught us to forgive as we've been forgiven. Stubborn refusal to forgive is disobedience, and disobedience brings separation and distance, which blocks blessing. It's been my experience that some things are tough to forgive...one betrayal took years to work through, but I kept asking for grace and help to forgive the betrayer. God is faithful! I'd learned in Bible study to just be willing and He would help me, and He has. He didn't withhold blessing, because this wasn't stubborn refusal. As in yesterday's question, this too brings dependence upon God, in order to be obedient.

How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

Jesus said "If you do not forgive others their trespasses...their reckless and willful sins, leaving them, letting them go, and giving up resentment, neither will your Father forgive you your trespasses". He will forgive me in proportion to how I forgive others....I want to live in freedom and a "clean" life, free from barnacles and baggage clinging to me! (And Lord help me to not be "baggage or a barnacle" in others lives!)

Ah, forgiveness, my favorite topic...we should continually ask forgiveness to keep the flow of God open. Unforgiveness on our part blocks God's blessing by allowing sin (unforgiveness) to take root and thus, impede the flow of God to and from us. The Word of God states clearly that if we do not forgive others, God will not forgive us...simple...plain...direct.

We need to ask God for forgivness every day, every time we pray, because we need it. It is man's nature to be sinful, no one is ever completely without sin.

The line we are focusing on today is: "and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors", in which we are taking 'debt' to be symbolic of sin in general (although I have a problem thinking that people 'sin' against me, in my humbleness I believe that people sin against God, not against each other. The wrong done person to person is not in the same category as wrongs we do against God.). In this line we are asking God to forgive sins against us 'as' we forgive those who have done us wrong - 'as' or 'in the same way', so, as pointed out in the lesson, this is somewhat of a 'trick' line, where we may wind up praying against our selves, if we are not truly forgiving those who wrong us.

I am human and I sin and must continually repent. I can't leave a stone unturned in my digliant search for the truth. Unforgiveness on my part for others means that my Saviour will not forgive me when I ask. I can't harbor unforgiveness for anyone or anything.

This is a very serious one. We need to forgive 70*7 times a day, but we still hold on to some people for one thing. We say we cannot forgive them, they have hurt us. God I am asking you to give me forgiving spirit. What am I holding so much, if I remember that Christ laid His life for me it will not be difficult to forgive people who wronged me. I still wrong people I am not a saint. I need to constantly remember that if I don't forgive God can do the same. I think it is pride that make people not to forgive. We should constantly ask God to remove pride from our life. The way the spirit of pride crept into our life is very suptle, unnoticed until it starts to live in us. The Lord will forgive us. If we do not forgive we are disobeying God. He said forgive those who offend you. If we are disobedient then we are commiting sins just the same as stealing etc. It is the same gravity and it can lead one to hell, not reigning with Jesus.

People also think that unforgiving is not a serious sin so they tend to take it lite. it is a thing of the mind, people don't see you. This is why it is more dangerous, it is more of the spirit. We should be careful, God will give us the grace to forgive so that we don't become loosers.

we are sinners that need a holy God to forgive us when we sin or live unrighteously. If we don't forgive other then our heavenly father will not forgive us and unforgiveness in our hearts breaths envy, malist, all sorts of bitterness which will stop Gods healing and blessings.

how can we pray to GOD FOR FORGIVENESS, WHEN WE DONT FORGIVE OUR BROTHERS THERE TRASSPASSES, THAT IS NOT OF GOD, GOD WILL NOT FORGIVE US UNTIL WE FORGIVE ONE ANOTHER

R4. Everytime we sin against our fellowmen we sin against God; as humans we sin knowingly or unknowingly continually. To keep our relationship with our God unbroken we must continually ask for forgiveness. Sins unforgiven pile up like a wall that ultimately blocks our vision of God.

Unforgiveness causes more harm to us than to the person we are supposed to forgive. When our hearts are full of anger, hate, and pain due to the hurt caused by our loved ones or by our enemies we become insensitive to the blessings of God. He never stops sending us blessings but unless our hearts are pure and cleansed of all negative feelings the blessings appear to be blocked.

Actually it is the other way around. We know that we are forgiven by God when we are able to forgive others. Unless we have experienced God's forginess, forgiving is most difficult and most of the time, impossible. God's control of our lives, our will, gives us the ability and the capacity to forgive.

• 6 months later...

So that we can come into God's presence in our robe of righteousness, guilt free, before His throne. Sin will keep us out of His presence. Unforgiverness is sin and becomes a blodkage. God is love and gives eternal life. If we are disobedient to God's word, how can He bless us or forgive us. He looks for a heart that's been washed in the blood of Jesus and knows what genuine forgiveness is. It is very hard sometimes to forgive as the Father forgives, but He will help us for He knows our heart.

• 2 months later...

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Although we are no longer sinners but saints who sin; we need to be renewed and cleansed every moment so that we stay in fellowship with God. Sin blocks us from receiving a full relationship with the father.

• 5 weeks later...

Thats an easy one.We have to ask God for forgiveness everyday, because we SIN everyday. Unforgiveness blocks our blessing because it is a sin and we have to have a clean heart and the right spirit when we come before God. We want a good relationship with God and when there is unforgiveness in our heart, its stands between us and God and we don't want any thing interfering with our relationship with the Father. :D

We are sinners. "For if you forgive people their trespasses your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive you your trespasses." Amp. Matthew 6:14-15 Jesus told his disciples "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." Amp. Matthew 5:44. It is made clear in verse 45 in order to be sons (children) of the Father, we must forgive. If not, He will not forgive us. One way that we block God's forgiveness and blessings is by not forgiving someone, because then we are not forgiven. If we aren't free to forgive, then we are in bondage to sin and hate which pleases Satan and NOT God.

• 4 weeks later...

Forgiveness. Yes forgive.. This was probaly the hardest thing for me to do . As I continued studying the bible my answers were all there. God forgives all who ask and seek the Lord Jesus Christ. No matter what he did who he is or what he did to others. If a man is asking for fogiveness from the bottom of his heart and wants to be saved than Jesus will save him. If we do not forgive our enemy's God will not fogive us. We have to give all our burdens up to God those who troubled you give to God and be good to your enemy's be good to those who hurt you. This is so very hard for all of us. The Lord knows this pray to him ask him to strengthen you guide you help you. He knows our sorrow and our pain. Let God lift this and let God close those doors so he can open new doors for you for me. Oh God forgive me oh Lord for I need strength to forgive those who hurt me please oh Lord help me. God knows the ones that trouble you let God be the judge of that we cannot judge them. I know for me that was the hardest thing to let go and now I'm finally letting go because God is for the just and the unjust the righteous live just as long as the wicked. We should all pray for the unrighteous and the wickedness in the world for God to touch there hearts to be saved to go to heaven. The narrow gate is heaven and the wide gate many will go for there will be distruction. This is why we should pray for our enemy's and be good to them on earth because if they don't hear the good news before they die. Where would they go? Jesus says watch for your life because we do not know when it will be the end and it's like a thief in the night if we were watching we would know when the theif enters. We all need to be for the people who do not know Jesus help them understand and if they send evil to you than walk away but you have to try first to save the people of despair. God with your prayers and your intersession will touch there hearts and if not than they will perish. Oh God so save the world from hell. God has the key to hell. God owns everything including satan. So forgiving one another and showing them that we are people of God is what we should do on earth. This is our job. :)

Actually it is the other way around. We know that we are forgiven by God when we are able to forgive others. Unless we have experienced God's forginess, forgiving is most difficult and most of the time, impossible. God's control of our lives, our will, gives us the ability and the capacity to forgive.

I couldn't of said this better. It is difficult and I believe that :) God's in control of our lives, our will. Only God can give us the ability and the capacity to forgive. He also knows our hearts and our sorrows. If we are so terribly broken hearted Jesus comforts us and we need that time with God to get to know him through our trials. I never understood this until now. Our trials are good they don't feel good but there for the good. God is a loving God and with our pains, our trials we get to know our Lord more and wow what an experience this is. I'm so grateful and happy to get to know our father. I feel blessed and I know now that I'm worth more than I could ever imagine. Thank you God for touching my heart. For allowing the Holy Spirit to awaken me. My thoughts are now heavenly, beautiful. I can't wait until the Lord comes. I think about him coming down in the cloud and all I can do is smile. He has changed my life. He has entered me in the book of life. Thank you oh Lord!! :)

HI My name is Linda . I'm new to this.. I'm studing this Great Prayers of the bible because I wish to present it to mission team. I am leading a mission trip. I thought this would be a great study while on the field.

We must continue to as for forgiviness because we continue to fall into sin. Our cleansing comes from Christ. We must come before him to confess. He asks that we empty ourselves before him in order to keep our relationship with Him alive and honest. He already knows before we come before Him however he asks that we come to Him to build our relationship with Him. Fogiviness is a gift!

• 2 months later...

We are sinners and must stay in tune to God's wills and ways and that means asking God's forgiveness for anything that was done or said not pleasing in His sight. Unforgiveness on our part can block the blessing of our personal relationship with the Father. Though it is very hard to forgive those who have done us harm we must forgive them. Not being able or refusing to do so our Heavenly Father willnot forgive our sins.

Patricia

• 1 month later...