JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Humility and Boldness

Q2. How did Abraham demonstrate his humility before God? Why must boldness be tempered with humility?

Abraham recognizes his place before God. He is humble because he knows first hand how God acts! He understands that god is passionate, and loving and merciful. And on the other hand God can get very angry as well! Abraham understands God, that he isn't quick to pass out judgment where it isn't exactly needed. Abraham uses his knowledge to intercede for Sodom, especially Lot. He understands that if he is arrogant or overconfident in his abilities, god will put those abilities to the test! He Abraham had not used humility he would have come across as more powerful, more knowledge, that he was better than God.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Q2. How did Abraham demonstrate his humility before God? Why must boldness be tempered with humility?

Abraham recognised he was only dust and ashes and that God is the Almighty God of heaven and earth. He recognised that even though he was very very small, he could still speak to God because of God's goodness toward him. He was almost apologizing in advance if what he was going to say was going to make God angry.

Even though God has given us access to Him 24/7, and we can go to Him, as we are, with all types of petition, like Abraham we must recognised that He is God and we are nothing but dust and ashes. He is our creator and even though we can call Him Father we must treat Him with reverence. By humbling ourselves, we will decrease and He will increase. Humbling is also an act of worship.

• 4 weeks later...

Abraham first acknoledges that he is just dust and has no right to address God. This is an act of humility. He acknowledges God as the Judge of the living and the dead thus he is a nobody before God. He asks for permission from God to address him. You dont just go before a king or president and start talking without permission to do so. Abraham knew that God could do as he pleased.God has the knife and the yam so he had to be humble in order to get God's attention. When God gave him the chance to speak he went on to present his case clearly and boldly. In our daily lives if I want an important personality to do something for me I have to be clear in my request otherwise I could be dismissed as not being serious. I also have to approach him with humility otherwise he might feel threatened and not listen to me. If we have to be humble before human beings to get what we want how much more before God our creator. We must go to God with humility because he is our creator and can do with us as he pleases. We should try as much as possible to be clear in our presentation so he knows exactly what we want.

How did Abraham demonstrate his humility before God? Abraham continually recognized that he was the creation, ashed and dust before the Holy and Mighty Creator God. He knew his place and yet bold approached God to intercede for his loved ones and a whole city.

Why must boldness be tempered with humility? Boldness without humility before our Almighty, Creator is crass, arrogant and irreverent.

• 4 months later...

Abraham acknowledged his humble position before God "I am nothing but dust and ashes"

We can be bold because we know that God loves us and wants us to have an intimate relationship with Him; but we must remember who we are compared to Him and that His wisdom is infinitely greater than ours.

• 3 months later...

Abraham demonstrated humility by repeatedly acknowledging his own humble place before God and asking for the Lord's indulgence. There must be a fine balance of humility - knowing our place and yet having the boldness of coming before God, the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, the maker of Heaven and Earth. We have the joy of having God as our Father and yet maintain the realization of God's awesomeness and holiness.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. How did Abraham demonstrate his humility before God?

Abraham demonstrated his humility before God when he acknowledged his own humble place before God.

"Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the LORD, though I am nothing but dust and ashes...." (18:27)

"May the LORD not be angry, but let me speak...." (18:30)

"Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the LORD...." (18:31)

"May the LORD not be angry, but let me speak just once more...." (18:32)

Why must boldness be tempered with humility?

Boldness must be tempered with humility when we approached the Lord, because it reminds us of the Greatness of God, and the intimacy that we enjoy with Him, the King of Heaven.

This is also praying with two factors in mind: (1) the joy of having God as our Father and (2) maintaining the realization of God's awesomeness ("who art in heaven") and holiness ("hallowed by thy name").

• 11 months later...

God always wishes us to be confident and bold but to have a servants heart of humility when we speak with him .To be victorious as Christians we must dare to ask bold things of God just as Abraham did but acknowledging he is the Father and expects and deserves our respect while we do that and only those with true humility that have that servants heart as Abraham did. .Abraham and the Lord had walked and talked together a long long time .God knew his heart well and that he was a righteous man with humble heart so he listened and let Abraham argue his case before him .

• 7 months later...

Abraham asks the Lord not to be angry at his boldness. As he intercedes for the people, he remembers that he is not the Judge. God wants him to boldly cry out for these lost people but Abraham seeks to be humble because God is in control and His ways are best.

• 3 weeks later...

Abraham tempered his argument to God by speaking humbly. Abraham showed God he knew his place and did not approach God with an attitude of self importance. Abraham approached God with the humility of knowing who he was not and who God was in this discussion. Sometimes we forget who we are when we approach God and argue with a status we have on earth which is not impressive to God. God is the creator and the finisher of all things and so are status's.

• 2 years later...

How did Abraham demonstrate his humility before God?

Throughout this bold prayer, Abraham asks for the Lord's indulgence, repeatedly acknowledging his own

humble place before Almighty God.

Humility, knowing our place before Almighty God

Boldness, taking the opportunity that God has given by inviting us to intimacy with Him

Abraham’s example shows us how God listens to our petitions if we ask in the right spirit. He responds to those who approach Him with humility. Throughout Abraham’s exchange with God, he employed two seemingly opposite attitudes. Although he was bold, he coupled this boldness with humility. He realized that he was “but dust and ashes”.  (Genesis 18:27)

• 1 month later...

Abraham notes that he is just a mere human. He acknowledges that he may be speaking out of line or our of turn. He states that he doesn't want to anger the Lord with his prayers. He does not want his intercession to have the opposite effect. I feel that we can approach God with bold ideas, but we need to do so very humbly. We need to remember that we are his creation and his children. We must be respectful at all times.

• 1 month later...

Abraham demonstrated his humility before God by asking if it ok for him to continue to negotiate with him. He knew that God is the creator of the universe and so Abraham was respectful to him. Boldness must be tempered with humility because we might be end up thinking that we are in charge.

• 4 months later...

By being humble & bold.

Abraham experienced faithfulness of God in his life and knows that He is an Holy God. Abraham humbles himself to such an extent he states that he is dust and ashes.

We too can enter into God's Holy presence with boldness because of His Grace and Mercy. Heb.10:19,20

Eph.3:12.

• 4 years later...

God changed Abraham’s mind. Abraham knew that God is just and that he punishes sin, but he may have wondered about God’s mercy. Abraham seemed to be probing God’s mind to see how merciful he really was. He left his conversation with God convinced that God was both kind and fair. Our prayers won’t change God’s mind, but they may change ours just as Abraham’s prayer changed his. Prayer helps us better understand the mind of God.

• 3 months later...
On 9/14/2005 at 7:56 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Abraham demonstrated his humility before God by basically asking God's permission to press on and asking that God would not be angry with him.  boldness must be tempered with humility because we must remember our place and that we are mere men/women speaking to the Almighty Creator of the universe.

• 3 months later...

How does Abraham demonstrate his humility before God?

Abraham showed humility by acknowledging his humanity. Think “I am only human, while you are the all-knowing God.”

Boldness without humility breeds arrogance. Being arrogant before God would be dangerous.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q2a.   Abraham showed his humility by standing before the Lord. This position is one of obeisance the servant before His Lord There's a period of time before Abraham spoke and this an attitude of reverence.Again and again Abraham asked acknowledgement before speaking..showing a respectful attitude of an inferior subject to a master.

Q2b.  In prayers the Almighty Father invite us to come boldly and in confidence to his throne of grace and mercy. Even though we have that bold assurance to come to seek there's also the holiness..and the reverenceness around about God.We can't be on the footing with God. He is our creator..we are his creatures. We have to show obeisance. He is our Lord and Savior...we have to be deferential in and out of His presence.We are His servants and His saved ones.We are to be bold in praying to Him.. in seeking His indulgences knowing and accepting that all is done accordance to His will.In our boldness and with the intimacy in calling on our Father in prayer we must also steep ourselves in humility and reverence for God is a God of holiness and divineness and of righteousness. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2005 at 10:56 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Abraham demonstrated his humility by expressing to God that he is just a mere man with flaws and imperfections. Boldness must be tempered by humility because we are praying to a holy God. The creator of the heavens, the earth, and every inhabitant of heaven and earth. He is our Father and we must fear Him with reverential fear. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2005 at 12:56 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. By speaking to God with an attitude of respect, humility and honour that also allowed Abraham to also freely come boldly to speak to Abba dearest about anything that was troubling him. He knew that God was approachable, compassionate and merciful as well as just, righteous and fair and His final judgement would be full of wisdom and discernment about the WHOLE situation.

2. God calls us to come to Him, rely on Him and at the same time, revere and respect Him for who He is - God, our creator. So....

Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need Hebrews 4:16

All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you 1 Peter: 5b-7

Each of the sections of scripture you quoted during the lesson demonstrates Abraham's humility toward God:

"Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the LORD, though I am nothing but dust and ashes...." (18:27)

"May the LORD not be angry, but let me speak...." (18:30)

"Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the LORD...." (18:31)

"May the LORD not be angry, but let me speak just once more...." (18:32)

Boldness on our part must be tempered with humility on our part because GOD is GOD.  He is In-Charge. He is Sovereign. His Will is Holy and RIGHTEOUS because He IS.  As much as Abraham wanted to protect his nephew, He trusted GOD more.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. Humility and Boldness