JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Humility and Boldness

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. How did Abraham demonstrate his humility before God? Why must boldness be tempered with humility?

Abraham demonstrated his humility before God by acknowledging who he was.He approached God with boldness because he knew he was clothed in the righteousness of God ,but he did not take his relationship with God for granted because he was covered in the fear Of the Lord which is the begining of wisdom.He knew God,and I think this settles the issue when we know who God is we cannot but be humble.

Boldness must be tempered with humility.Humility keeps a check on who we are,and keeps pride away.As believers in the Lord Jesus Christ we need to develope a humble attitude towards God and think soberly of ourselves at all times,Our boast should be in the Lord.

Q2. How did Abraham demonstrate his humility before God? Why must boldness be tempered with humility?

Abraham recognized his inconsequential position before God. I think whenever we approach God, we should be humble. Further, humility sends a message to God that we don't think ourselves more significant than we are. I also think God is more apt to grant prayers that prayed with humility.

Abraham admitted he was nothing, recognizing his place before the Almighty.

When we think we are nothing without boldness, ( God tells us to approach His throne with boldness) we will feel unworthy to come to God with anything.

How did Abraham demonstrate his humility before God?

Abraham asks for the Lord's indulgence, repeatedly acknowledging his own humble place before God.

Abraham tells God he is nothing but dust and ashes.

He asks God not to be angry, but to let him speak. :unsure:

Why must boldness be tempered with humility?

We need a balance of humilty-knowing our place, and boldness-taking the oppurtunity God has given by inviting us to have intimate fellowship with Him.

Without humility, pride enters and before long one is commanding God to answer prayers. <_<

Humility is agreeing with God about what God thinks of you. Abraham agrees with God of his own human condition. Boldness with God is not only tempered with humility but it is humility. Boldness without humilility is not boldness at all, it is foolhardiness.

Abraham demonstrated humilty by recognizing who he was talking to, and the position that it put him in. I'm talking to "GOD". And knowing what he had to ask, starting at 50, and having to keep reducing the number meant having to continue to ask the same question only with a lesser number. Why not start at 5 or 10 and work up? I don't know how many there may be so i'll start high and work my way down, but i'm still talking to GOD. This negotiation is not your average deal making, all deals are FINAL.

God says that we can BOLDLY come into the throne of grace. But we must understand where it is that we're going. I my boldness is "confidence" not arogance.

• 2 weeks later...
:) Here Abraham is showing his utter reverence to God's majesty and his own humbleness, by quoting that he is but dust of the earth,but for God's grace. Our boldness to approach God, comes from the realization that He is a merciful God and that we can not do anything without His help and kindness. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Abraham demonstrated his humility by remembering that confessing that he was only dust and ashes and by always asking to speak first and by asking the Lord not to be angry with him.

boldness must be tempered with humility because we are only human talk with the creator of the universe and He deserves reverance and being humble is showing our love and respect towards Him as our creator and God.

• 1 month later...

Abraham demostrated his humility before God, by telling God about his own unworthiness to ask for the request. He apprecaited that he was a mere dust and ashes, only molded and fashioned in God's image, and has no legitimate right to ask God, his maker such a great request. Other times Abraham appealed to God's mercy and grace, before making the requests.

Boldness must be tempered with humilty, otherwise, one might be challenging God and questioning His sovereingthyand thereby committing sin. We need to make our requests to God in humilty, with praise and thanskgiving.

In his prayer he debased himself - completely humbled himself before God saying that he is nothing but dust and ashes - and even saying that may the Lord be not angry for what he said - This shows the complete submission and reverence of Abraham to God, and recognizing his position being the creation asking his Creator.

It is so important to be humble before God, so we know where we stand, that we lay aside all our pride and listen and submit to what God will tell us

• 1 month later...

Abraham demonstrated his humility before God in that by welcoming the guests whom he did not know where they come from and also by asking the reguest to safe his nephew Lot

• 4 weeks later...

Abraham's statements, preceding his bold demands, all concluded that he was a mere mortal, flawed and fearful of the High and Lofty One. As God's friend Abraham was well acquainted with the limitations as to the liberties one is able to take with the Creator. When we are alligned with Yahweh's character and nature it is necessary for us to come boldly to His throne with our petitions, humbly remembering that it is He who has given us this great freedom and, His friendship. We too must also consider that we are always just one sin away from His wrath.

• 3 weeks later...

Abraham knew God, and he knew his place, he was but dust in God's sight and he always asked for forgivness then asking God a question. He took on a teachable servant attitude. as we all should.

• 1 month later...

Abraham wasn't sure what he could do in this situation he is facing,he wasn't even sure what was right in this situation.God knew Abraham was a modest man and willing and eager to face danger. Abraham talked it over with God,an reasoning it out with God trying to whatever he could for his family.Even when we don't know how much of a change we can or even should make,we can start with Abraham's examples.

• 2 months later...
Guest MRose PD

By coupling his pleadings with God with acknowledgement of his smallness and nothingness before God, thereby exalting God and pleasing God at His right place at the same time.

He was already at an advantage with God, since he was practically invited in intimacy with him. So, how can God deny an invited friend, especially one who constantly humbles himself before Him? God simply has to listen and relent to him.

• 2 months later...

abraham demonstrated his humility before God by constantly acknowledging that he is a mere creture of the Lord. But his recognition of the majesty of the Lord is also the reason why Abraham's prayer is filled with humility. Personally, I never thought that like Abraham I can approach God with boldness and reverential humility until I studied this lesson. What a great insight for me! Blessed be God forever.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Abraham demonstrated his humility by an attitude of his heart before the Lord. We see it in the phrase "dust and ashes." It is important to temper humility with boldness because they both show a proper heart attitude and knowledge of the Lord. When we are humble, it shows that we realize the awesomeness of God in comparison to ourselves. When we are bold, it shows that we have faith in a merciful and loving God who "is a rewarder of those who seek him."

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. How did Abraham demonstrate his humility before God?

Abraham demonstrated his humility, before God as he presented his petition, by seeking the Lord's permission each time he made his request. He continually acknowledge the Lord's supremacy and his humble position.

Why must boldness be tempered with humility?

If we are to receive anything from God, even when we come boldly before His throne, we must come to him humble as a child. One of the promises God gave to Solomon tells us that God is looking for a people who will come to him humbly.

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
2 Chronicles 7:14 (KJV)

• 2 weeks later...

Abraham was direct and respectful. He was pleading for God's people. He had a heart for the righteous to be spared and a love and respect for His Master. Boldness with respect is honorable.

1). Abraham speaks of his boldness in pleading with the Lord. He knows he is nothing but dust and ashes with no value at all. He demonstrate his humility before God by acknowledging his own weaknesses as God knows his heart and thoughts .

2). Boldness must be tempered with humility to keep us from being arrogant and pride, to let us know who we are in God and to whom we are speaking with. Abraham took the opportunity to become intimate with God. We must humble ourselves that we are what we are by God`s grace and not because of our birth right. We come to His throne of mercy and grace because He has given us the right to be His child so that we can have the joy of having God as our Father to maintain the realization of His awesomeness and holiness.

• 4 months later...

He repeatedly ASKED to speak once more. Repeatedly he let God know that he knew his place that - God was God and that Abraham was a servant of God. He was not demanding but persistant.

If all we have is boldness we will overstep our bounds and make ourselves to be higher than we ought. Humans have a tendancy to try to be God in ourselves - but we must never forget that even though we are joint heirs with Christ - we are human and the only reason we are anything at all is because God has allowed it.